PDA

View Full Version : Segway and the National Park Service

Rocktopper
05-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Last Saturday I went to Washington D.C. for a Veterans Rally at the Upper Senate Park. I parked my car nearby and rode my Segway as I searched for the location. I videotaped the rally from my Segway using a MiniDV clamped on the handlebar. It came out not bad. Went back to my car and drove to the parking near the Lincoln Memorial.

There I rolled up on the Segway to find 3 Park Police huddled together. They sent the woman in the group to approach me and tell me that the National Park Service had outlawed Segways in any National Park. I was facing a $50.00 fine if I continued forward.

When I told her that I claimed the right to use the Segway under the Americans with Disabilities Act, she got on the radio, said I was pulling the ADA card and was told to let me in. I got no more hassle during the visit.

Stand up for our right to freedom of Mobility!

Rocktopper

Vietnam Veterans of America : "Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

wwhopper
05-07-2005, 09:17 PM
We at DCSEG are working with NPS so that they allow usage on the National Mall.

This is an issue that has many of our members upset, as we have been gliding there for 2 years without a peep - but this year there has been some hassles given to us by the Park Service Officers, while others ask where they can be rented.

US Govt can be a problem.

For SegwayfesT we have lots of gliding planned off of the mall!

p.s. - supposedly they can not ticket you in the street, only on the sidewalk or the NPS grounds!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Mid-Atlantic Regional Segway Enthusiast's Event - SegwayfesT - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

X-man
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Thank you Rocktopper.
I now have a precedent to follow rather than setting one once again. I have a slew of NP's that I will be in this year in UT, NV, CA, WY & MN.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

beckpm
05-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I never had any problems on the Mall till we had organized commercial tours going through the Mall area - now they have a "policy" or should I say a "shotgun policy". By the way, they have no problem with either individual or groups of bikes that are far more intrusive and potentially more dangerous.

I keep thinking that if Tom from Sarasota was our tour operator he would have impressed the hell out of them with his focus on safety and would have worked the "politics" with the NPS before he did the first group glide there!

I continue to be hopeful that the NPS will come around.

Benjamin Franklyn would have loved to glide an HT on the Mall!

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

SegwayBill
05-08-2005, 11:40 AM
where do get an ADA card?
The more paper work the better!

Bill

legpain
05-10-2005, 12:11 AM
The big question is “Were you displaying a handicapped anything?” If you were good for you! Don’t read the following. :-) If you weren’t, shame on you!! Do you think the police have nothing better to do than hassle you? You’re lucky they didn’t MAKE you prove you’re handicapped. Why should they take you at your word?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, show your handicapped symbol and you most likely won’t be bothered. Don’t be ashamed to be handicapped!!

John

wwhopper
05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
But if you are not handicapped, then you should not try and pull this "card" just so you can glide.

Segways are just like pedestrians, and should not be required to show anything to anyone. And Segway users should be responsible Segway users as well.

I know of several non handicapped folks who pull the "card" and in my oppionion that is not right!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Mid-Atlantic Regional Segway Enthusiast's Event - SegwayfesT - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

Mr. Protocol
05-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd be interested in hearing an actual reference or citation to this new regulation. It might just be some kook with a wide hat and a radio, operating "under the influence" (of too much authority and too little training and experience).

otis
05-18-2005, 06:15 PM
As the first operator to offer tours in DC, I find your comments unjustifiable. We have worked continuously with NPS to convey the benefits of segways - quiet, environmentally friendly and assist tourists to see all the sites of DC. Nevertheless NPS has legislation regarding "motorized vehicles" and have decided that this applies to segways. They are undertaking a transport study to be finalized by 2007 and will issue a final decision on Segways at that time. In addition, our track record with safety is also undisputed. So I don't think that any other operator "have impressed the hell out of them".

I am sorry that you have lost the exclusive use of the Mall but surely the National Mall and Segway riding should be available to everyone!

quote:Originally posted by beckpm

I never had any problems on the Mall till we had organized commercial tours going through the Mall area - now they have a "policy" or should I say a "shotgun policy". By the way, they have no problem with either individual or groups of bikes that are far more intrusive and potentially more dangerous.

I keep thinking that if Tom from Sarasota was our tour operator he would have impressed the hell out of them with his focus on safety and would have worked the "politics" with the NPS before he did the first group glide there!

I continue to be hopeful that the NPS will come around.

Benjamin Franklyn would have loved to glide an HT on the Mall!

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

Lastquest
10-02-2005, 04:08 AM
I have been fortunate enough to vist 8 National Parks this past summer.

The National Parks and their Agents have been wonderful to me, while on my Segway HT. Yes, I am obviously disabled, and my Segway is a Gift from God {or Dean Kamem's group ).

At 300 pounds plus you can made a joke. My Segway took me up Mountain Paths with ease, never hesitated. I drove down paths of sand in the High deserts, cities Ha HA! A MEAN MACHINE! I still Love Life!!

The National Parks personel are Real Decent people who have BIG HEARTS! Treat them right, and they'll do the same.

Rocktopper
10-18-2005, 07:42 AM
First of all, the initial message of this thread was posted at Draft.CC. I don't know who posted this on this board, but someone did without my knowlege or consent. Since it was done for the common good and not to harm my reputation, there is not an issue with me over this.

UPDATE: I have now been medically retired from the U.S. Army Space Command and returned after 35 years to Tooele Utah, from whence I started my carreer in service to America. So I won't be touring the Vietnam Veterans Memorial anytime soon. However I have now attended the Vietnam Veterans of America national convention in Reno Nevada and the VFW natioal Convention in Salt Lake City Utah. I got no problems at either with the exception of a mall in Reno that the security guard changed her mind when I pointed out the Handicap sticker to her.

I use my Segway at the VA Medical Center in Salt Lake City, the Wal Mart in Tooele, the Tru Value hardware (who get lots of my money as I have tinkered with my Segway extensively) and a few other places. I have ridden onto the Mormon Temple Grounds and into a concert without incident.

I have had incidents with dog owners, to include a woman that "ordered " me not to ride on her street anymore "#$%@#$% weirdo". I ended up calling the police on a "disturbing the peace" charge against the harrigan. I now carry a compact stun baton in my carry bag, as a paintball blow gun is illeagle within the city limits. The next "puppy" snapping at my heels is in for a surprise. Animal Control officers used to the "good ole boy" mode of handling complaints hate my guts as I am insisting that they do their job. It does not hurt that the LT in charge of them is a high school classmate.

I also have had incident with Quality Blue car lot in town. It took a ugly incident in the City Code office to get a TREE that blocked the sidewalk removed. Since it was not blocking the view of cars/trucks for sale, it was not a concern to the company. Of Course the landscaping in front of the merchandise was immaculate. One side of the walk was a steep hill and the other a state highway with no median strip. I was almost thrown into traffic by this. Appealing to civic responsibility did not persuade the manager, and he was informed with mucho profanity that I would take my car buying dollars to Salt Lake City before I would spend a dime there. I am waiting for the first snowfall to see if the walk is cleared as per the law...

I ride an average of 10 to 12 miles a day in this town. The Segway gets me everywhere in town and back in the summer. Let's hope winter does not limit my range too much.

I am told that a couple of Segways are in town but I have not run across them.

When this Seg is paid off, I want an XT too.

I hope this posting has some positives in it as well as the ugly side of dealing with idiots.

Happy Segging....

Rocktopper

Vietnam Veterans of America : "Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."