PDA

View Full Version : questions about SegFest

segtownmst
04-19-2005, 03:54 AM
So I was going to register for SegwayFest in Sacramento today, but then I saw that it cost $60 bucks for registration and another $30 for dinner. I have been trying to figure out what the money goes towards, but havent found anything on the web site. Anyone know? thanks everyone!

Matt

We're the square pegs in the round hole. The misfits, the rebels. The people that see things differently. You can vilify us, you can fear us, but the one thing you can't do is ignore us. Because we are the people hat think different"

pam
04-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm willing to bet that the cost goes towards the room/equipment rental. It's a VERY reasonable fee. I haven't been able to attend a function for that amount since the late 80's.
Pam

SegwayUtah
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Matt,

Actually, the cost is even less! It's only $50 for registration and $30 for dinner. I know for a fact that the cost of the dinner is actually over $50 a person due to hotel fees, so really your registration is something like $30. Seriously.

$80 for an event, including a "banquet" dinner, is a pretty amazing price. This is only possible because the event is low-cost, and the organization is not-for-profit. It's all about the enthusiasts, and the people who are putting it together are donating their time and expenses.

The registration fee covers everything from rental of the facilities to the necessary insurance to setup of equipment, etc. etc. Luckily, Segway is paying their own way for their people to come to the event, so that's a huge bonus.

Chris

wwhopper
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
As an organizer for SegwayfesT DC, I can tell you what fees go to. Room Rentals, A/V Rentals, Speakers fees (if any - many are donating their time to speak at fest) refreshments (can you believe that a hotel charges $2.50 for a can of soda?) set up fees, the paper for the paperwork, badges, INSURANCE, and the list goes on and on.

If you counted all the volunteer time that it takes to put on one of these events - you will understand why the for-profit event/convention companys have to charge so much to get into events like this. Anything under $150 a day without food is a real bargain these days for these type of get togethers!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
Mid-Atlantic Regional Segway Enthusiast's Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

fathertime
04-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I can personally tell you that there wasn't a nickel made on either of the first two SegwayFests and this one will be no different. The hotel and union infrastucture make it nearly impossible to pay for the event without huge philanthropy on someone's part.
This does not even take into account the hundreds of man-hours that are donated by the enthusiasts.n It is truly a labor of love.
Consider it fortunate that you can attend even at this dollar figure. [^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P][:O]

JR

Stan671
04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by segtownmst

So I was going to register for SegwayFest in Sacramento ... I have been trying to figure out what the money goes towards, but havent found anything on the web site. Anyone know?I don't understand where you question is coming from, Matt. Please explain. This is not a charity or some kind of fund raiser. The registration fees go towards paying for the event. Where else would they go?

Are you going to attend the SEG America SegwayFest in Sacramento?

Stan Dobrowski

segtownmst
04-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Having been to years worth of Macworld Expos, NAB's, WEVA's and other professional trade show type events and having never paid a cent to go to any of them I guess I forgot that in the smaller world of Segway it might not work that way. Being in the production industry myself I realize all the many costs that go into and event like this, but I guess i overlooked the small fact that a SEGFest probably doesnt generate enough movement and interest, etc to be ablt to get exhibitors, etc to cover costs. And yes, I plan on attending. . . . hopefully with my new i180 :)

Matt

We're the square pegs in the round hole. The misfits, the rebels. The people that see things differently. You can vilify us, you can fear us, but the one thing you can't do is ignore us. Because we are the people hat think different"

Stan671
04-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I understand now, Matt. I don't get out to many big bucks professional trade shows. The SEG America regional SegwayFests are small bucks enthusiasts gatherings. Therefore, they are paid for mostly by the attendees.

Stan Dobrowski

JasonHilton
04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
I just have a quick question.
I am planning on attending SegFest, but I don't own a Segway.
Are Segways avaiable for rent at SegFest?

X-man
04-24-2005, 07:46 PM
I see you;ve never been to COMDEX.
I was in Wal-Mart yrsterday and noticed a tuna fish sandwich went for $2.75. Things just cost a little more than they did in 1960 when I was making $90 a week as a naval officer.

Bob.

Riding on a Titanium machine gives one the status of experience (or, on the other hand, a newbie with an old machine).