PDA

View Full Version : SEGWAY Ballet -- Rover Dance

Wallace
04-13-2005, 03:10 PM
“ROVER DANCE”

Attending a 50th high school class reunion is no activity for the faint hearted.

Five decades of wear and tear on the human body, your appearance, your health, your memory and your ego are all focused in a weekend of recollections, lapses of memory and rekindled enthusiasm for days long past.

Months of planning and anticipation have transpired with regard to Who will attend? Will you be recognized and remembered favorably and Will that special person or persons will be in attendance again this year?

After registration is concluded and upon receiving name tags with pictures from the ancient yearbook - way back then so folks today can accurately recall the way you were - the story telling and recollections began. “Whatever happened to old so-and-so and do you remember when we all did such and such?”

Such reunions are time for reflection and consideration of past events and paths not taken.

In his novel OVERLOAD, Arthur Hailey includes a poem entitled If Only, in which some of the more significant words are:

Yes!--the "if onlys" do persist forever
as hovering, wraithlike, used-up wishes,
their afterburners spent.

"If only" this or that
on such and such a day
had varied by an hour or inch;
or something neglected had been done
or something done had been neglected!

Then "perhaps" the other might have been,
And other others . . . to infinity.
For "perhaps" and "if only" are first cousins
addicted to survival in our minds.

Accept them,
And all else.

(OVERLOAD BY HAILEY, ARTHUR
ISBN: 044016754X (0)
Pub Date: 1/1979
Cover Price: $5.95 Used: 2 Price: $2.98
New: Price: $4.46

In the book, the writer of the verse - and several very moving additional poems - is a wheelchair bound, Quad with a respirator who laborously writes by using a stick held in her teeth. If you can find a copy of the book, it is a good read.)

One of the most popular activities of this 50th reunion - besides drinking coffee and remembering things that happened to us, way back when - was a combined walk, run and roll at a nearby wooded park, adjacent to a golf course.

Approximately 65 classmates and their spouses gathered at the starting line for instructions on how to negotiate the 2 miles of the walking track.

Everyone anticipated a friendly traverse of the beautiful course with hills, grassy knolls and bridges along a flowing creek. There were activity marshals stationed every quarter-mile to award a colored ribbon for those who had attainined that portion of the exercise.
The more energetic joggers quickly outpaced the walking group, the more leisurely strolling group and the rolling group which took up the rear.

Some of the participants resolutely walked, strolled or plodded with apparent difficulty, nonetheless completing the route amid encouragement from their fellows.

Later that evening after the dinner, the awarding of door prizes, and the recognition for those who had traveled the greatest distance to this year's reunion, the lights were dimmed and slow dancing to 1950’s music began. Arthritis, bad knees and bad backs notwithstanding the “old folks” did their best to Go Back From the Future – if only for a little while.

During high school, I worked at a local roller skating rink, and became quite proficient in performing the obligatory glides, the swoops, the turns and pirouettes required for both singles and doubles dance competition. Roller Skate Dance performances are somewhat similar to Ice Dance routines however, the skates are heavier and require more effort to roll on a wooden floor than to glide on thin blades over a sheet of ice.

I have completed about five months of experience with “Rover” as my Segway partner and felt that I might be able to dance off in a corner by myself without too much embarrassment or the likelihood of running into the more agile dancers and the other part of the room.

I recall not being very coordinated at my senior prom. I certainly was not graceful, and was a good bit awkward with my peers. But this year, things were different. This year - I had my Segway. Dean Kaman said in one of his interviews, “What if you woke up one morning and found that your feet had been replaced with wheels?” This time, I had electric feet!

Beginning with slow turns to the right and left - in place - I gradually progressed to ever larger circles, loops and serpentine moves, which began to draw the attention of my former classmates. Many of them turned to watch while they were dancing. Or stopped their conversation at nearby tables to see what the former class clown was up to at this late stage of life.

As my moves began to become more complicated my range extended, my comfort level increased with the gracefulness of the Segway, some “young ladies”, whom I never would have had the courage to approach during the high school days, came to where I was and extended their hands, asking to participate in the slow dance of the evening.

Jerry Kerr, Founder of DRAFT - Disability Rights Advocates For Technology – is a diagnosed C-4, Incomplete, Spastic, and Quadriplegic who has, through extensive therapy, exercise and determination, regained some mobility and also has used a SEGWAY HT for over two years – writes in his article, Fulfill the Promise (www.draft.cc).

“The psychological and the physiological benefits for those who can utilize the HT are tremendous.. Utilizing the HT gets people up out of their seats and standing increasing circulation and muscle tone. People with disabilities from Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Spina Bifida, amputated limbs, spinal cord injuries, COPD, and emphysema discovered that the HT returned to them a world thought gone forever. People who had lost their sense of balance found that the HT restored it; people without the muscular strength to walk found that the HT has replaced it, and people who were spastic found that the HT made them graceful again.”

I found the following sites which feature some form of “Wheelchair Dancing, Ballet, performance.” Surely there is a Segway Ballet Company somewhere.

http://www.axisdance.org/performances/video.html

http://www.gggreg.com/dancingwheels.htm

http://www.fullradiusdance.org/

http://www.cjnews.com/pastissues/00/may18-00/tab/tab.htm

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/11/04/loc_troupe_dances.html

http://community.theolympian.com/entertainment/content/events/20050407/121018.shtml
The dance ended, the reunion was over and the participants bid fare well until the next time….

The Road Never Ends! Accept That, and All Else.

Tripod and ROVER

SegwayUtah
04-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Very cool, Wallace. Very cool.

Chris

pam
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I can just imagine the HT in it's movement. I know we've had dance contests at the last two big SegFests, but I don't think we've had anyone dancing with another person off an HT. What lyrical writing, Wallace.
Pam

Stewbonz
04-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Is your last name Steinbeck?
Good stuff, keep it coming.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

SegwayBill
04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
This summer with Itsi's help we will get a video of me Seg-Dancin with my skating friends. This is my third season and the moves keep getting better. My wife and I like to dance when we ride double.
If it were not for the Segway I would no longer be able to dance.
My health issues have affected my balance and stamina and strength. With the Segway I am able to out maneuver all but the most experineced skaters.
I am able to do this in limited spurts so there is enough battery to get home and I do not over extend my limited strength.
For the ten years before I got sick, I would skate at least 50 weekends a year, winter and summer. For the past two years I not been able to skate at all. The Segway is a true blessing and I can do everthing I use to do on the skates plus more

Bill

Wallace
04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Well, The "Sometimers" memory lapse must have set in. The author of the poem in OVERLOAD WAS NOT Alex Haley (author of ROOTS) but, was actually:

OVERLOADBY HAILEY, ARTHUR
ISBN: 044016754X (0)
Pub Date: 1/1979
Cover Price: $5.95 Used: 2 Price: $2.98
New: Price: $4.46

In the book, the writer of the verse - and several very moving additional poems - is a wheelchair bound, Quad with a respirator who laborously writes by using a stick held in her teeth. If you can find a copy of the book, it is a good read.

Great Book by him.

Flawed Memory on my part - Sorry!

Tripod and ROVER