PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed Activities for Sacramento SegwayFest

Stan671
04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Please check www.segamerica.org regularly for updates!

[u]Friday</u>

Friday is a day for registration and optional activities.

Registration desk opens - sign in and pick up your materials
Nighttime Glide
Ice Cream Social

[u]Saturday</u>

The following will be ongoing throughout of the day:

Free upgrades to 14.0 Software (courtesy of Segway LLC)
Purchase custom keys (thanks to Segway of Oakland)
Vendor displays and sales
New product demos (Segway HT i180, Segway XT, and the Segway GT)

Scheduled events to take place in the meeting rooms or outside:

Early-Bird Glide
Opening remarks and welcome from SEG America
Speaker from DOT
Short break
Segway 2005 Product Panel Discussion and Q&A
Centaur Q&A (and professional demonstration)
Lunch break/Lunch Glide
Segway - Service and Maintenance Talk/Hands-on
Centaur rides
Agility Games
Robotics Mobility Platform (RMP) demonstration
Dinner
Keynote by Doug Field, Segway LLC’s CTO
Late-night Glide

[u]Sunday</u>

Sunday is an optional day for anybody still in town:

Morning glide
Segway Polo match 10:30am - 1 pm

Note: Regular batteries will probably have enough juice to do the morning glide and then go to watch the Polo match, but probably not enough power to do the glide and play polo.

Stan Dobrowski

X-man
04-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Stan,
If this has been addressed before, I missed it.
If one has the software upgrade at one of the SegFests, can one expect a lower price on the LI batteries. It has been said that the battery upgrade included the sofware upgrade.
Please clarify.
Also, can you bring two machines if you own two. This would prove difficult for me but there is always the chance.

For the naysayers:
Before you ask me to give up my lifestyle, show me that yours works.
"Polly Hammon"
Bob

legpain
04-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I have my reservation at the Hotel but is there any way we can pre-register with SEGAmerica now?

Thanks,
John

SegwayUtah
04-08-2005, 02:34 PM
This is actually the first time I've seen the tentative schedule. It's pretty exciting stuff for a single-day event: a discussion panel with some of Segway's finest, some time with the Centaur, and a wrap-up keynote with Doug Field. That's pretty cool!

Just checking out the Centaur should be a super-fun experience.

As I understand it, this is a one-day event: Saturday. But it's cool that people can find things to do the day before and/or after if they're around.

Chris

woodenapple
04-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Sounds like an exciting line-up. I really wish I could be there. My family will be on vacation near Sacramento a few weeks after the Fest, but there is no way we can travel all the way across the country any earlier, before the kids get out of school. Bad timing for us, but I am sure a lot of people will be there and will have a great time!

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

Stan671
04-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Bob, I would expect that if you bring your two Segway HTs, you can get both of them upgraded. There is no reason not to be able to do this.

I have no idea what the dealers may do or not do to accomodate someone buying Li-Ion batteries that already have the 14.0 upgrade. It is my understanding that the upgrade is included in the price of the batteries and one dealer seems to indicate they would charge for an upgrade without the batteries. So, there is a cost associated with the upgrade and a dealer may give you a break if you don't need the upgrade. But that would be between you and the dealer.

I see an important advantage to getting the 14.0 upgrade at the SegwayFest. And that is if you decide later to buy the new batteries, then you won't need to haul your machine to a "local" dealer that may be far away or wait for the dealer to be able to have the hardware and training to do upgrades. You will have an edge over someone who wants the new batteries and needs to wait for the upgrade to happen before he can use them.

Also, you would be able to purchase the new batteries from whatever dealer you can get them from and install them yourself and use them immediately.

Stan Dobrowski

Stan671
04-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Rodney, the Washington DC SegwayFest in September will be the closest to you.

Stan Dobrowski

SegwayUtah
04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Also, if you get the 14.0 upgrade on your i-series, and then end up buying an XT, you can put the Lithium-ion batteries from the XT on your i-series when you're not using it.

Chris

Stan671
04-08-2005, 05:29 PM
We are almost done with the web site stuff to allow registration on the web site. We'll also offer a paper form that can be downloaded, filled out and mailed for those who prefer that. We'll also have voice phone and fax registration available.

Stan Dobrowski

Mr. Protocol
04-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm now hearing that i180 initial deliveries are stretching out to May, even for those with NiMH batteries. Li-ion will presumably be even later. This is frustrating in the extreme - I've been waiting to buy a Seg until the i180 was available because of the extended-range batteries. Now, it's starting to look likely, given the number of delays which have occurred already, that i180s will not be delivered with either type of battery until after the Sacramento Segfest.

If that turns out to be the case, I certainly won't bother going. I feel sorry for Stan - this one's not his fault.

SegwayUtah
04-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Mr. Protocol,

Maybe you can pick up your i180 _at_ the Fest :)

Or you can at least touch and feel one while you're there.

Speaking of which, the XT, i180, GT, and Centaur will all be there--right?

Chris

Stan671
04-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Mike, don't feel sorry for me. There is nothing I can do about Segway's delivery problems. I would say, though, that if you are going to be getting a Segway HT shortly, that you can still get a great deal of benefit from the Sacramento SegwayFest. It is not just for owners.

There will be at least two dealers there and they will be selling Segway and non-Segway accessories. You can see the Centaur and maybe even get a chance to ride it. You can check out and ride the Segway XT and GT. You can hear Doug Field's interesting and fun keynote speech. You can probably see (and maybe participate in) a SegwayPolo game. You can take the hands-on maintenance and user servicable parts seminar given by Segway employees.

An opportunity like the SegwayFest in your state does not come along too often - you have to grab the brass right when it comes around.

Stan Dobrowski

slide4less
04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Im getting a XT this week and will have a red and yellow with new batts at segfest I talked with segway this week and might have a GT for the fest also
steve steinberg Segway of Oakland 510 832-2429

slide4less

SegwayUtah
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by slide4less

Im getting a XT this week and will have a red and yellow with new batts at segfest I talked with segway this week and might have a GT for the fest also
steve steinberg Segway of Oakland 510 832-2429

Very cool -- so we'll all be able to see all the models at the fest.

JohnG
04-10-2005, 10:47 AM
All of the new models and colors will be at Sacramento event (3 colors of the i180, the XT and the GT). Dealers will also be there ready to sell these models. While supply will be a little constrained as we ramp up production, you can bet we're building them as fast as we're getting the parts in!! Dealers are starting to get the new models in this week, starting with the XT, then with various colors of the i180.

There is no "discount" offered on lithium-ion batteries if you get the free upgrade to 14.0 at any of the SegwayFests. We are, however, looking into providing non-transferable discount coupons to SegwayFest participants for the later purchase of accessory lithium-ion batteries. We still expect the lithium-ion batteries to be available as an accessory for purchase sometime this summer (sorry, I don't any more specific date than that at the moment).

John

--
All views expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer or others. Check out http://grohol.com/.

X-man
04-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Is a last minute registration going to be OK? Having just moved half way across the country, I'm having trouble getting my bearings and getting organized.
Also, bringing both machines is going to be a little difficult. Will the CS of one machine work on the other and, if so, which key is used? I was thinking of just bring the base of the number two machine. Would this work for the software update?

Bob.

Riding on a Titanium machine gives one the status of experience (or, on the other hand, a newbie with an old machine).

JIMBO
04-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Bob ~ All Handlebar assemblies work with all power bases. The key follows the base. I don't know if the software update will work on just the base...

Jim Headley
Segway Orange County
~ STEP UP ! ~

Stan671
04-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Bob, you are welcome to register to the SegwayFest Sacramento any time.

I would expect that it would be OK to move the CS from one machine to the other in order to get the software upgraded.

Stan Dobrowski

X-man
04-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks,
Now all I have to do is work on the logistics of making the trip. :)

Bob.

Riding on a Titanium machine gives one the status of experience (or, on the other hand, a newbie with an old machine).

X-man
04-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Is anybody familiar with Route 120 from Benton, CA to the esat side of Yosemite and what, if any problems would I have taking that route. I would also have to go from Lee Vining through Yomesite if I take that route.
All help is appreciated.

Bob.

QuadSquad
04-23-2005, 09:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by X-man

Is anybody familiar with Route 120 from Benton, CA to the esat side of Yosemite and what, if any problems would I have taking that route. I would also have to go from Lee Vining through Yomesite if I take that route.
All help is appreciated.

Bob.

Bob,

Yosemite Road Closures (Current)
The Tioga Road (Highway 120 through the park) and the Glacier Point Road are closed due to snow. They usually reopen in late May or June, depending on conditions. The Mariposa Grove Road also remains closed (though it is open for walking).

Check out http://www.nps.gov/yose/

Neelix
04-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Bob, no worries on switching control shafts. The control shafts are all the same functional part, and the key codes are all stored down in the base, so any CS will work with any unit.

Hope to see you at the Fest!

Edit:

Doh! I gotta read the whole thread before I reply next time, JIMBO already answered the question!

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

X-man
04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks Jerry,
Found the link I needed thanks to you.
I'll keep an eye on it and change my plans accordingly. Hate like the devil to route myself through Reno or the opposite way, Vegas.
It was 85 in the shade on my patio today the last time I looked. Maybe I can take some of it and melt the snow.
I was out in the desert before it got warm and shot this one (among the other 200). This is just south of the Joshua Tree forest near Littlefield AZ
http://bythelake.com/segway/desertflowers1.jpg

Bob.

Mr. Protocol
04-28-2005, 07:09 AM
I managed to snag an i180 today (cherry red, Li-ion batteries), so I've registered for Segfest. See you all there!

Mr. Protocol
05-05-2005, 08:13 PM
It's getting down to the wire for the Sacramento SegFest, and I'm at the point where I'd like to nail down my schedule. This is hard when the two main optional activities for Friday are still marked as "tentative".

When can we expect to hear a "yea or nay" on these?

Stan671
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
We just finalized the schedule at our board meeting last night.

There won't be any zoo glides - they said No. The only activities going on Friday will be the registration, evening glide (at 8pm, I think) and the ice cream social afterwards.

Stan Dobrowski

SegwayUtah
05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Mr. Protocol,

The Sacramento event is essentially a one-day event, which the board did to get feedback on whether a one-day or two-day event was better for people.

The activities on Friday night are for those people coming early, and I believe there is stuff going on afterwards as well for people staying late (Segway Polo!). The gist of all of this is that if you can come a little early Friday evening, you'll get to have fun a "day early" and you can meet people then--and get into the cool stuff on Saturday.

Chris

Mr. Protocol
05-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Ah! Many thanks - I know how much fun it is to pull something like this together (gaah! save me). Thanks for the hard work. I'm coming up early to visit an old friend. See you all Friday evening, then!

Sleepy
05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
For those that want to play Segway Polo on Sunday, please bring a helmet and your stock yellow key. Bay Area SEG will provide mallets and colored vests.
If you have an XT, I'll be able to temporarily re-program a key for you to play polo.

-Alex