PDA

View Full Version : Call From Segway

Podkletnov
09-19-2002, 11:37 PM
Am I the only person that a guy named "Something Glass" (I forgot his first name) called on the phone? I never spoke to him, but he left a message on my voicemail that went something like, "Hi, I'm _____ Glass from Segway, and was calling regarding your interest in the Segway through our website. I'll call back when it's more convenient for you." (I filled out one of those 'keep me updated' forms on the website)

Well, this was 2 weeks ago, and am sad he has not called back, as I want one of these things.

The only thing that struck me as odd was that I was wondering why a guy at Segway would be calling to sell me a Segway. I came to the rather hopeful conclusion that maybe they somehow know i live in a high-profile hip neighborhood and wanted a beta tester.

Anyone else get a call, as I am sure you folks are "into" Segway and probably filled out the Segway site "Interested" form.

Cube128
09-20-2002, 12:13 AM
Sweet! Be sure to tell us what they say when they call back. I wish I could be a beta tester...

4Seg
09-20-2002, 03:46 AM
yes, I got a call as well. There is a thread on this:

http://66.241.210.178/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=165

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies

Podkletnov
09-20-2002, 06:37 PM
i can't follow the link--to click the link, it wants my password again, and i forgot it.

what's the thread title? i'll just look for it

Podkletnov
09-20-2002, 06:46 PM
ok got to the link, BUT, that thread has nothing to do with Segway people calling us. Apparently you called THEM.

I never called them--they called me.

And I never talked to anyone, just got a voice mail from a Mr. Glass (or something that sounds like that).

4Seg
09-20-2002, 07:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Podkletnov

ok got to the link, BUT, that thread has nothing to do with Segway people calling us. Apparently you called THEM.

I never called them--they called me.

And I never talked to anyone, just got a voice mail from a Mr. Glass (or something that sounds like that).

Oops, sorry. There is a thread either on here or TIQ. Sorry for the mix up.
They did call me with a survey... Did they ask you questions?

Podkletnov
09-20-2002, 08:31 PM
No, like I said, this guy left a message.

what kind of survey did they take?

ftropea
09-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Hey, next time you guys are on the phone with Segway - could you ask them approximately when the consumer version is going to be revealed/released? :P

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

4Seg
09-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Team,
Let me share the conversation with Segway. I was sitting in my cube as any other day at the 8-5 when the phone rang on the direct line.

"Hello Mr. X, this is ____ from Segway out of Bedford New Hampshire."

(this happened so quickly I didn't have time to lose composure, but I was extremely excited after almost 8 months of attempting to contact them and speak to someone directly. It was all the better they called me)

We'll name the caller, "Dave". Dave mentioned my Personal Registration I submitted on their site and wanted to ask me a few of questions.

He asked me about my location (here downtown STL)
How far to work (1.5 mi)
How often would I travel to work with the Segway ("Hell, I'd ride it so much I'd probably go into work on Saturdays!") LOL

Age, status, the usual stuff.

Where the conversation got interesting is when I also talked about the sporting events I attend. (almost 60 in the last 18 mo) I usually cab it to the hockey games; however, that trip would be best fitted for the Segway. Although the Rams dome and Cardinals stadium is just a six minute walk.

I deliberately did not mention my desire to be a reseller partner for the fact I wanted to display a strong interest in Segway other than some business guy looking for a venture. I told "Dave" that I had been following along with the Segway HT since the Dec, 4th. (actually much earlier than that, but I couldn't remember the date of the 60 Minutes/Dean Kamen interview - I was exhilarated!) I told him I am an active member of this forum and a passive member of TIQ.

"Dave", after our 30-45 minute conversation said he wanted to pass my name to the sales depth for additional follow up.

We only talked about the p-series. "Dave" was very pleasant to talk to and displayed a level of professionalism we expect.

Now the real meat and potatoes of this reply. I didn't not ask "Dave" WHEN the p-series will be available. I asked him, "Are you guys going to make the (fill in a date here) delivery date?" LONG dead silence. Then he said, "The p-series should be available sometime next year. (I could tell he was curious by my question and thus the reason for the dramatic pause in our conversation.) I admire "Dave" for his response. So I thought I would mention my reasoning for asking that question.

It's the California/Segway law's activation date, good for 5 years. I just pulled that out the hat. Frank, you know the correct cost. But nothing's confirmed.

From what I can tell, they are working hard to match the Cali specs for 'sidewalk enablement' plus gearing up for great things to come.

Bottom line: I'm excited about the great possiblities, not only here in St. Louis, but abroad. After the dry spell of nearly no activity from them (their emails they send out to registrants), we all can be assured they are keeping up to the best their ability.

Podkletnov, I would call him back.

Oh, by the way, anyone can get exact pricing on the i and e series. I hope our company buy many. I want to support them.

Seg-wager
09-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Nobody called me yet, oh well. Of course I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. ;)

4Seg
09-24-2002, 01:41 AM
Seg-wager,
I think they will be calling everyone regardless of locale and I am sure the list is huge. I was called about three weeks ago from my (circa) March registration. So if you registered after that, I'm sure it might be a while. Being from a small town (back home, it's only 13k) would you own a Segway? If so, how would you use it.

Brooster
09-24-2002, 02:04 AM
4-Seg, I registered as a personal user the day the Segway site opened up on December 3, 2001 ... the day of the GMA reveal, and I've not received any calls.

Did you register as a business user? I'm guessing those are the people they're calling first?

Brooster

4Seg
09-24-2002, 02:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

4-Seg, I registered as a personal user the day the Segway site opened up on December 3, 2001 ... the day of the GMA reveal, and I've not received any calls.

Did you register as a business user? I'm guessing those are the people they're calling first?

Brooster

Broo! Don't you sleep!! LOL (look who's talking eh? LOL) I registered both actually; however, by the context of the call I did receive, it was from the personal registration. So hard to belive that you haven't received a call yet. (Hope they do call you soon)

Seg-wager
09-24-2002, 03:29 AM
Well, I did get an email so I know the registration worked. I only registered for personal use. I'd like to use it for grocery shopping and errands in town since everything that is here is within two miles.

Brooster
09-24-2002, 03:32 AM
Ahh, <wave of the hand>

They know me ... they know I ask too many questions ... and come prepared with questions in writing ... LOL!

Brooster

Seg-wager
09-24-2002, 03:39 AM
heheh, that's a good idea though--put the list of my questions near the phone! :D Like, when can I buy one?

ftropea
09-25-2002, 11:23 AM
You know.. I don't really have a list of questions.

As an informed consumer (been following this product for quite some time), I would want to know two things:

1) When it's going to be released?
2) What will 2 consumer units cost?

Everything else can remain a mystery as far as I'm concerned. Just more to talk/speculate about here.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea