PDA

View Full Version : OUTCOME: of Maryland Committee Meeting

Spinmeister
03-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Dear SC Members:

Thank you to the Segway Enthusiasts and Dealers who attended the Environmental Matters Committee in Annapolis, Maryland on March 22. Because of your support, the position of the Segway community was very well represented.

For those of you who could not attend, we wanted to let you know that both bills, HB1372 and HB1436, received unfavorable reports from the Committee on March 25. This means that the majority of the Committee agreed that the bills should not move further in the legislative process.

Looks like the worst of it is behind us. Thanks again for your dedication and support.

Regards,
Matt Dailida

SegwayChat Members,

Please read the update below from Matt Dailida, Director Regulatory Affairs, Segway LLC, regarding the public hearing in Maryland this coming Tuesday.

Maryland House of Delegates Considering Changes to Segway HT Laws

In the few days since this original posting, I have had multiple discussions with members of the Maryland Legislature including the office of Delegate Susan McComas, sponsor of HB 1372 and HB 1436. Her office has assured me that the intent of the legislation was not to restrict EPAMDs but rather regulate motorized scooters, particularly minibikes and pocketbikes.

After I highlighted troublesome language in HB 1372, Delegate McComas has said she will offer an amendment at next Tuesday's public hearing in order to clarify the bill. If passed, the amendment will keep the integrity of the original EPAMD law in tact.

I applaud Delegate McComas for listening to our concerns and her willingness to act swiftly to address them. Although I cannot attend the public hearing on March 22 due to scheduling conflicts, I will submit testimony that will support the intent of the bills but will request that the bills not be passed until amendments are added that preserves the current EPAMD law in the State of Maryland. We are hopeful that with these measures Segway HTs will continue to be allowed on public sidewalks, bike trails and foot paths in the state.

I still encourage you to attend the public hearing next Tuesday and respectfully present information about how you safely and responsibly use the Segway HT and the positive impact it has made on your community. Your participation at the hearing will demonstrate that the Segway community is supportive of the compromise Delegate McComas is offering.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Matt Dailida
Director Regulatory Affairs, Segway LLC

Original Post - 3/14/05

I am writing to inform you of some upcoming regulatory activity that could potentially affect Segway® HT use in the state of Maryland.

As some of you may know, Chapter 546 of the Maryland Acts of 2002 (http://mlis.state.md.us/2002rs/chapters/Ch_546_HB0869T.rtf) created a regulatory framework for how Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices (EPAMDS), or Segway HTs, could be used in the state of Maryland. That bill currently allows owners in Maryland to legally ride their Segway HTs on sidewalks, bike paths and footpaths in the state.

We have discovered that two new bills, House Bill 1372 and House Bill 1436 (see http://mlis.state.md.us/2005rs/bills/hb/hb1372f.pdf and http://mlis.state.md.us/2005rs/bills/hb/hb1436f.pdf) have recently been filed in the Maryland House of Delegates and assigned to the Environmental Matters Committee. If passed, both would negatively affect the enabling legislation of Chapter 546.

House Bill 1372 – This law has the potential to reverse the freedoms established in Chapter 546. If passed, it would become illegal to ride the Segway HT on public property in Maryland, including sidewalks, bike trails or footpaths, until the community the owner resides in actively voted to allow Segway HTs in these areas. In other words, the Maryland law would require every community to pass its own EPAMD law in order to make Segway HT riding legal in their community.

House Bill 1436 – This bill, if passed, would make it illegal to ride Segway HTs on bike trails and footpaths, two areas where Segway HT riders can currently glide legally.

House Bill 1372 and 1436 will be considered in a public hearing before the Environmental Matters Committee on March 22 at 1 p.m. in the Lowe House Office Building, 84 College Avenue, Annapolis, Maryland. The meeting room will be posted on the bulletin board in the Lowe Building on the day of the hearing. We encourage you to attend this important hearing and express your views.

Because of scheduling conflicts, I will be unable to attend the committee meeting, but I have submitted testimony with the committee. If you are unable to attend the meeting, you can submit letters to the Environmental Matters Committee by this Friday, March 18. Please send those letters to: Lowe House Office Building, 84 College Ave. Room 14, Annapolis, MD 21401-1991 or email the Chairwoman of the Committee, Delegate Maggie L. McIntosh. Her contact information, and that of the bill sponsors, is listed below.

We at Segway LLC are grateful for the support of Segway HT owners and interested people like you. If you have questions about how to help support positive legislation in Maryland, please write us at contactus@segway.com.

Regards,
Matt Dailida
Director of Regulatory Affairs, Segway LLC

Delegate Maggie L. McIntosh
Chairwoman of the Environmental Matters Committee
Lowe House Office Building, Room 141
84 College Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21401 - 1991
(410) 841-3990
maggie_mcintosh@house.state.md.us

Delegate James Malone (sponsor of Maryland EPAMD law HB869)
Lowe House Office Building, Room 141
84 College Ave.
(410) 841-3378
james_malone@house.state.md.us

Delegate Susan McComas (sponsor of House Bill 1372 and 1436)
Lowe House Office Building, Room 326
84 College Ave.
(410) 841-3289
susan_mccomas@house.state.md.us

wwhopper
03-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks Carla,
We are having a DCSEG meeting this week and will put that on the agenda - we will also put it on our local chat site too!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
Mid-Atlantic Regional Segway Enthusiast's Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

Spinmeister
03-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Thank you wwhopper!

Florida Ever-Glides
03-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Terrible news. I discourage anyone from bringing a new XT to the meeting. That would be a BIG mistake...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

kyswisher
03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
I talked with Del. Malone (one of the original sponsors of the EPAMD law in Maryland). He will be chairing the Environmental Matters meeting on 3/22 and I believe that bodes well for a positive outcome on these bills.