PDA

View Full Version : Your Feedback on Planning a Segway Event!

wwhopper
02-24-2005, 09:47 PM
In planning and thinking about topics to be covered during SegwayfesT DC’s demonstration/classroom portion of the event, we are looking for input from you the actual Segway Enthusiast And wanted to get some feedback from folks, just like yourself, who would consider attending. – I ask that SegAmerica Board members to refrain from posting, so that we can get a feeling of what the end user would like without influence of SA’s board

Not to worry we are planning lots of gliding in and around DC – so that is a given! DCSEGer’s are gliders!

There always seems to be a disconnect between Segway and bike users. Any interest in a panel discussion with a national bike users group and SegAmerica? Comments/questions from the Segway user will be helpful in our researching this potential topic.

Ginger author, Steve Kemper as a potential speaker. What do you the Segway owner/user think about having him in attendance and speaking at SegwayfesT. DC SEG is aware of the issues and concerns that Segway LLC has about Kemper being apart of a SegwayfesT, but wanted the Segway Enthusiast’s opinion on him as a Fest speaker.

Pimp My Segway – what has and can be done to a Segway to customize it.

What topics would be of interest to a youthful audience – be it something technical or Xtreme gliding. (I know, we are all young – but specifically the 18 – 28 crowd?)

If Segway LLC were not to participate, would that affect your attending SegwayfesT?

Segway Enthusiast Groups enrichment – what some groups have done and what can be done as a “group” to benefit Segway users and attract more participation. Also what kinds of things they need to know how to be able to do better – like reach out to officials who determine Segway use in their communities.

Outreach with DRAFT and FIRST?

Ideas on how to show off the Segway as a safe and friendly device to the public as a whole?

Is there something – which you would come for? Something that would keep you away? What would they be?

Your input is much appreciated and we will use it as we develop the SFDC program of activities and events for this fall!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
SegAmerica's Regional Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

pinmagic
02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Oops! My bad! I had suggested to wwhooper the title Pimp My Segway for a workshop, but I realized that name's already in use by one of our parts suppliers (no wonder I thought of it!), so if anyone has a suggestion for a new title for that session, we're open to ideas.

MY OTHER CAR IS A SEGWAY

dejaposter
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I am thinking of attending this DC event if/when it goes down. I'd wouldn't mind if LLC wasn't a part of it, because I doubt they have much to teach us about the HT we don't know. If they want to use it as a forum to publicize their new models (which would be smart) I'd be cool with that too.

I think the press should be invited to the 'mass glide' - and not just one paper. Every news organization should be sent a press packet w/ a schedule and write up about the event.

On the demonstration end of it, I'd like to see a class focused on smoothly operating the HT including dismounting, climbing stairs, dropping curbs safely, etc. So many eyes are on you when you ride an HT it's good to have these things down smoothly for the masses.

I also think it'd be cool to have some school childred invited to the event during the day. Like a field trip for some of DC's children. We could give them demos of the machines and get pictures for them. This technology is really about thier generation, we are just early adopters. Don't doubt that this will take 10+ years to catch on - like the TV, bicycle etc.

Being in DC and all, plus the added headache for some of us (especially in NYC!) share concerning the legality of HT's in various states, we should invite DC transportation lawmakers to speak on a forum about HT use in the US and what it means for pollution, safety etc. By asking them to speak on behalf of this subject they will have to research it themselves, which is a great thing.

The group ride should definately include a photo op at the Sentate and the L memorial. The press loves that stuff.

Finally I think it would be fun to invite Michilin to the event to premier the Tweel to the Segway community, Why not ask?

DP

macgeek
02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Actually I came up with "pimp my Segway", and someone else started a website with the name. - Actually I think a "segway car show" were people can bring thier "pimped up" segways and "show off" would be cool

Jonathan

http://bandster.us/glide.jpg

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

Florida Ever-Glides
02-25-2005, 10:20 PM
'Pimp My Segway' goes way back. Long before many of you even had your Ht's...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

Stan671
02-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Immediately, everyone must stop talking about the possibility of Segway LLC not being at the SEG America SegwayFest Washington, DC event.

SEG America has been given full support from Segway LLC for our three SegwayFest events planned for 2005 and Segway LLC has assured me of thier representation and attendance at all three events.

Stanley Dobrowski
President, SEG America

wwhopper
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
This post was not ment to raise hackles - We just wanted to know if potenial attendees felt they would miss something if Segway LLC was in attendance or not.

We are trying to see what our audience desires in this event!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
SegAmerica's Regional Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

tpkanaley
02-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Stan.

I think that Bill was just looking for input and wanted to know what people thought. I personally don't appreciate being told what people can and can not say on this board -- "Immediately...stop talking about..." ?? How rude, seriously.

I am glad LLC will be there, but I do not want them, or you, to dictate (or even feel like we have to "be careful") what we can and cannot do. If LLC or SEGAmerica wants to have their own event in DC they should do the work to put it on. However, if, as you have stated, you want this to be a locally planned and organized event, I would personally rather do what we want to do as an enthusiasts group and not have to worry about the individual feelings of a few potentially over sensitive people.

All that said, we are happy and excited to have the support of SEG America for this DC event and think it can be a truly enjoyable and successful time.

As always, my 2 cents.

Tim

QuadSquad
02-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I cannot imagine a Segway Festival without Segway LLC's participation. Even with the Reynolds family's (along with all of the others who volunteered their help and leadership) excellent organizational skills and management of the two previous festivals, without LLC, the first would've been a very short gathering, and the second would never have occurred at all.

Without them there is no catalyst to entice a sufficient number of people to attend, you may have a group glide, but you won't have a festival. For evidence all you have to do is look around the country at all of the local Seg groups and their success thus far at gathering Segway HT owners together.

One of the challenges the smaller festivals will face is what they offer someone other than group glides. In my honest opinion no LLC, no festival, it's as simple as that.

macgeek
02-26-2005, 08:44 PM
I think stan was being excited, not rude at all.

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

wwhopper
02-26-2005, 09:48 PM
We are all EXCITED about the SA SegwayfesT events coming up this year. It’s not that often that we find like-minded folks who celebrate the Segway and get them together in one place to have fun!

And it is great that Segway LLC will be supporting all three of the SA events this year. My question was on how much of a draw LLC is to the attendees. Some people might not really care! At some point in the future, sadly, they might not be able to come to each and every event!

We here at DCSEG are very much in the planning mode for this fall’s event – and with that, want to find out what the user community really wants – and is willing to pay for. We have gotten some private input, plenty of offers as well as beat a few bushes (no not the one that has issues with making the HT balance) for presenters and speakers.

The user community has already been actively telling us what they want, and what they expect – as well as what they don’t want - not to mention asking where to send in their registrations and checks. I was just posting some of the input we have gotten to see if they had a universal appeal and what folks thought of them.

DCSEG very much wants to make this event different from other events that have gone on before it!

We are working on plans for a safe, enjoyable, fun and educational event for attendees as well as sponsors. And afterwards we want everyone to feel that they got what they wanted out of it, and want to participate in a future one.

So keep those cards and letters coming in folks!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

p.s. Pam told me today that she is moving this thread over to Events on Sunday! (And she was very nice to give me the heads-up - Thanks Pam)

KSagal
02-27-2005, 03:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

In planning and thinking about topics to be covered during SegwayfesT DC’s demonstration/classroom portion of the event, we are looking for input from you the actual Segway Enthusiast And wanted to get some feedback from folks, just like yourself, who would consider attending. – I ask that SegAmerica Board members to refrain from posting, so that we can get a feeling of what the end user would like without influence of SA’s board

Not to worry we are planning lots of gliding in and around DC – so that is a given! DCSEGer’s are gliders! This sounds like fun.

There always seems to be a disconnect between Segway and bike users. Any interest in a panel discussion with a national bike users group and SegAmerica? I have no interest in this. I ride bikes quite a bit, but they are very different in my mind. Comments/questions from the Segway user will be helpful in our researching this potential topic.

Ginger author, Steve Kemper as a potential speaker. What do you the Segway owner/user think about having him in attendance and speaking at SegwayfesT. DC SEG is aware of the issues and concerns that Segway LLC has about Kemper being apart of a SegwayfesT, but wanted the Segway Enthusiast’s opinion on him as a Fest speaker. I have limited interest in hearing him. I have not read his book, but have heard the rumors of a falling out between him and others at segway, and don't want to be put in the middle or in a position to feel awkward.

Pimp My Segway – what has and can be done to a Segway to customize it. Regardless of who coined the name, I have been doing it to my machine since I bought it. I'd love the event.

What topics would be of interest to a youthful audience – be it something technical or Xtreme gliding. (I know, we are all young – but specifically the 18 – 28 crowd?) I don't qualify.

If Segway LLC were not to participate, would that affect your attending SegwayfesT? Yes, it would likely mean that I would not attend, or that my expectations would be much lower. It has been my experience that Segway LLC is a class act, and would raise the bar with their attendance.

Segway Enthusiast Groups enrichment – what some groups have done and what can be done as a “group” to benefit Segway users and attract more participation. Also what kinds of things they need to know how to be able to do better – like reach out to officials who determine Segway use in their communities. Could be good. Could be dry. ought to be available to those who want to go...

Outreach with DRAFT and FIRST? Sounds good

Ideas on how to show off the Segway as a safe and friendly device to the public as a whole? I will think on this one, and post back. I presume you mean things like showing simple trips to the store, and errands and the like...

Is there something – which you would come for? fun Something that would keep you away? some sort of a gripefest What would they be?

Your input is much appreciated and we will use it as we develop the SFDC program of activities and events for this fall!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

macgeek
02-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Also adding on to Karl's comments
A "tour" of washington, on segways from the people who live there. - Kinda a group glide guide!

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

pam
02-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about it since first mentioned. The only time I "saw" the national monuments was when I was probably about 10 years old. Too young to really appreciate the beauty and history of what I was seeing. I think a tour of them would be super. And if you have to take the train to get there, so much the better <G>.
Pam

KSagal
02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by macgeek

Also adding on to Karl's comments
A "tour" of washington, on segways from the people who live there. - Kinda a group glide guide!

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

Absolutely!

Maybe as a logo you can have Abe on a seg...

As a group photo we can all be in his lap... Maybe not...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

sitseg
02-27-2005, 04:36 PM
DC is a great place to glide. I spent a week there last summer meeting with many government officials and segging around town. Regardless of the topics presented, I believe everyone will have fun.
So far, no one has set exact dates for the regional segfests. The dates and the length of the segfest will determine whether I'm able to come. The earlier the exact date is set the greater the chance I will be available to come.

Please let us know the exact dates as soon as possible.

wwhopper
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Not to worry - Gliding is what we do a lot of here. Glideing in and around the monuments is fun - dodging the tourists becomes second nature, and their requests for demos. Well the really cute ones are still hard to resist!

Gliding & Eating we can handle - it is everything else that we are wondering about!!!

Not to worry Pam - you may still be too young - but we will fake an ID for you to get into the DC hotspots!

Interestingly enough the DCSEG logo has a glider in it that does look like Abe!!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

beckpm
02-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Segway Polo on the National Mall?

A group glide from the Capitol Building to the White House on Penn Ave?

A night glide to the new WWII monument?

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

tpkanaley
02-27-2005, 09:32 PM
All great ideas Peter...I can hardly wait...DC is the MOST amazing town for gliding!

wwhopper
02-27-2005, 11:22 PM
We are hoping to do some "special" glides on Friday and Satuday nights - because the monuments are extra special at night. All of DC at night, is for that matter.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

Stan671
02-28-2005, 12:45 AM
During the summer of 2003, a friend and I (who were in DC on business) spent several late nights gliding around DC on those warm, calm summer evenings. The experience was magical as we glided around all of the monuments, past the White House, the Capital, etc.

Stan Dobrowski

wwhopper
03-05-2005, 12:41 PM
We have a couple of other ideas that have come to light - for the sports side - jousting - and for the academic side - A presentation by the transportaion consultants who have been hired by the US government to research the impact of the Segway on the current transporation system.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

Florida Ever-Glides
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
yawn...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

Itsi Atkins
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
How about a segway stripper contest!

pam
03-05-2005, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

and for the academic side - A presentation by the transportaion consultants who have been hired by the US government to research the impact of the Segway on the current transporation system.

This is interesting, because I'm sorta surprised that the guvm't is looking into the Segway at the federal level. Most of the work that we hear about that Segway has done to try to smooth the way for us legally has been discussed at the state level. I'd be very curious about this talk, and if someone could send me the gist of it, or post it to the list afterwards, I'd be really grateful.
Pam

Stewbonz
03-05-2005, 09:09 PM
DC. What a beautifull town.
To me, the most amazing place in D.C. is the Air & Space Museum.
I hear there is a Smithsonian restoration shop that is woth a visit.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

wwhopper
03-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Pam - Yes the FHWA (Federal Highways) has been researching the Segway - they also are responsible at the national level for pedestrian and bikeways as well.

DCSEG members have participated in several of these studies - to focus positive attention on the Segway.

We are hoping for a webcast of some of the events - and this will probably be one of them.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

pam
03-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Will that have implications for the national park system, Will?
Pam

wwhopper
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
The FHWA has a department that looks at bike ways and pedestrian routes throughout the country, so I would think that it would filter down into the National Park System. They even own a Segway and use it!

I am hoping that just before or after our event this fall we can set up some meetings with the National Park Service and others to do some pro-Segway lobbying - actually I will post that question on the forum!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

wwhopper
03-06-2005, 01:49 PM
On the topic of "Segway Stippers" - I can see it now - an organized outdoor event! Teams from NYC, Cleveland, LA, Chicago, and other cities, strip a segway down to its frame, to see who can strip a segway the fastest and then sell the parts the fastest! - All proceeds, of course, going to charity! ;)

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member