PDA

View Full Version : Segway Rental Biz Research

EventCity
02-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am very new to this website/forum (about 30 minutes new right about now), my main reason for joining is to help in my research about adding Segways to an existing business.

We are a full service production company and rental facility. We rent all types of props, sets, decorations, lighting, sound, and Equipment, mostly for Parties, Special Events, Meetings, Conferences and Tradeshows. Additionally, we produce tradeshows, meetings, conferences, provide Major Entertainment, production services, marketing and PR projects, etc.

We see a big potential in the Segway Human Transporters. I have been following Mr. Kamen for quite some time, pre-Segway, and have a great respect and incredible admiration for him and what he has created. There are several geographic areas that we do business in that I am currently researching to possibly conduct Segway a business.

San Francisco, San Mateo, San Jose - Bay Area - Northern California, Costa Rica & Panama-Central America, Mexico, Columbia, Brazil, Chile and China. If anyone can help me with local laws, Political environments, business potential (pluses and minuses about launching a Segway Rental/Sales biz in these areas), existing or non existing businesses, etc. that would be very, very helpful!

What is the going rate for renting a Segway?
How do you charge for tours?
When renting, what do you request for a security deposit?
What type of insurance do you own?
What type of helmets do you suggest we have on hand? (Whether or not your state demands you wear a helmet, they must be a mandatory element to keep insurance cost down)
How many units would be a good amount to start out with?
Any suggestions to use the units during "off-season"? Such as conventions, tradeshows, private events, entertainment related projects, etc.
What is the markup for reselling Segways?
What is the company's policy for becoming a reseller?
Do they have quotas?
How many units need to be purchased?
What is the minimum amount?

Thank you for your time in reading my post, and I apologize for the lengthy message.

Regards,
Nolan
Event City Network
209-786-5000

Nolan A
Event City Network
California Internet Magazine
Online Service for the Events & Creative industries.

Segway City
02-19-2005, 07:40 PM
You've come to the right place for the answers to most of your questions. Welcome! Your first step is to hunker down and read the rental forum from top to bottom, and the main forum where most of your questions have been either answered directly or have links to people who will assist you for free or have information packages they offer for a fee.

This is a great place to do your due dilligence. Just remember, this is a forum of people with many different perspectives, axes to grind, soap boxes to populate and unique experiences to draw on, so never confuse the information gathered here as more than opinion to fuel your own thought process.

Enjoy!