PDA

View Full Version : Announcing SEG America SegwayFests for 2005

Stan671
02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
February 10, 2005 -- SEG America is literally bringing SegwayFest to the Segway enthusiast community. In 2005, SEG America SegwayFests will take place across the country in California, New Hampshire, and Washington DC.

Segway LLC has pledged their full support to SEG America for all of these events and will be represented at each one.

Each event is designed to be a low-cost, highly-rewarding experience. Accordingly, various hotels (both expensive and inexpensive) will be available to attendees and most meals will be at attendees’ leisure and of their choosing. Of course, the national and local SEG organizers will provide options to ensure a relaxing atmosphere for all attendees.

As expected, these events will have must-see seminars, demonstrations, Segway riding skill contests, group glides, lots of fun activities, and best of all, opportunities to mingle and glide with other enthusiasts. Because of the low cost and strategic locations, more enthusiasts in nearby states will be able to afford to attend. This will make it possible for many enthusiasts to experience the joys of SegwayFest more than once a year. The SEG America SegwayFests are the places to be in 2005.

Enthusiasts are welcome to attend the event nearest them and/or any other event of their choosing.
The SEG America SegwayFest line up for 2005 is as follows:

SEG America SegwayFest 2005 - Sacramento, CA
Late April/Early May (one-day event)
All day event on Saturday with additional get-togethers for early-arrivals on Friday and for those leaving on Sunday
SEG America SegwayFest 2005 - New Hampshire
July (two-day event)
Hopefully, tours of Segway LLC facilities in Bedford can be arranged for Friday. Other activities will be held at the venue on Friday and Saturday, with additional get-togethers for those leaving on Sunday.
SEG America SegwayFest 2005 - Washington, DC
Late September/Early October (one- or two-day event)
Based on attendee feedback from the previous two events, this event will follow a similar schedule to either the Sacramento or the New Hampshire event, with great activities to take place in Washington DC.For further details, please visit our web site at www.segamerica.org

Stanley Dobrowski
President, SEG America

fredkap
02-10-2005, 03:02 PM
The goal of all of these events is to have fun, meet fellow Seggers, have fun, learn something, have fun, see what LLC is ready to dazzle us with and have fun.

Can't wait to be there!

Fred

SegwayUtah
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
This is very exciting: SegwayFest for the people, near the people, by the people :)

Just for a bit more info on this, official SEG groups are actually heading up the regionally-located SegwayFests with the financial and time support of the national organization. This is going to be a very exciting year for SEG America and for all Segway enthusiasts.

And the best part is that these events are going to be so inexpensive (yet so fun and rewarding) that many people who couldn't attend a gathering before will be able to, and many people who would have come anyway can now go to a few of them.

Details on all of these events are forthcoming. There is going to be a LOT of exciting stuff going on at each of them. You won't want to miss making it to a SegwayFest this year.

BTW, SEG America has been working on a number of things this last year (with this one in the works for a long time), and it's great to see the hard work of the elected board come to fruition.

Chris

P.S.
Please post your feedback here regarding these events, what you'd like to see, etc. SEG America and the local groups have a lot of very cool things planned and/or in the works, but this is all about what the enthusiasts want. This is a completely non-profit venture with full support from Segway LLC (for which we are very grateful).

macgeek
02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
ABSOLUTLY FABULOUS!!!!!!!!

I am so there!

Jonathan

http://bandster.us/glide.jpg

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

SegwayUtah
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by macgeek

ABSOLUTLY FABULOUS!!!!!!!!

I am so there!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

There are two SegwayFests within driving distance of you :) More details are forthcoming, but there are going to be a _ton_ of great things to do--including some personal time with some of Segway's finest people! This is going to be _very_ cool.

Onward and upward,

Chris

tpkanaley
02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Greetings from DCSEG!

We here on the DCSEG team are very excited and can't wait to host all of you in our fair city. We are lucky that we are third in a series, nothing quite like learning from the successes of others!

Here in DC we are working on a number of very special events for the SEG America SegwayFest '05 and can't wait to see you all here.

Please feel free to post comments and ideas here, or send them directly to us at DCSegway@gmail.com

Thank you!

Tim

woodenapple
02-10-2005, 07:08 PM
This all sounds very exciting! I was fortunate that SegwayFest 2004 was close to me here in Florida and worked out relatively cheap and convenient for my son and I.

I know a LOT more enthusiasts will now be able to take advantage of the more accessible SEG America regional Fests.

My hats off to everyone who has been working dilligently behind the scenes to get SEG America established and organized. And a special thanks for organizing some big-time regional events.

P.S. - I almost forgot to thank the folks with each of the local SEG groups that will be helping with the Fest in their region.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

Segway City
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Looks like great fun!

Any chance we'll see events outside the "blue states" and into the bread basket of the country? How about St. Louis or Atlanta or Houston?

Itsi Atkins
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Stan, I love your ideas and this is a great way to get all united.
Great leadership make it work and you are the best.
I have applied to the Chinatown year of the Rooster parade on Sunday Feb. 13. for Segways to glide in the parade. I should hear back tomorrow. Check the site for the information.

SegwayUtah
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Segway City:
The CA, NH, and DC events are the big ones for this year, but we're going to start planning for next year's events soon. We'd like to have one in the North, one in the East, one in the South, and one in the West. Not all along the border of course -- the North could be Chicago, St. Louis, etc., and the south could be Houston or Atlanta. We've actually been batting a few of those around as ideas.

If you don't have a SegwayFest particularly close to you this year, go to the New Hampshire one. I guarantee that that will be a pretty amazing experience. Segway mecca so to say. Even normal people walking down the street are pretty proud of the Segway HT there.

Itsi: I'm sure that SegwayNYNY could do something cool at one of the two east-coast events. Shall we have a dance competition? A virtual taxi dodging experiment? :)

Chris

X-man
02-10-2005, 09:32 PM
I only hope I can get settled in time for the CA event. I'd like to make a road trip and include Sacramento in those plans as well as Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks (Jerry - you reading this?).
If Chris can get the state to make it official to use their trails, I now a state that would be great to gide in next year.

Bob

Stan671
02-10-2005, 10:14 PM
A super benefit to having several regional SEG America SegwayFest events each year is that we can cover so much of the country and bring the events to the Segway community.

A very large factor in determining where we can hold an event is the willingness of local people to do the work (with our help, of course). So, if there is a group of enthusiastic people and they want a SEG America SegwayFest in thier area, and they are willing to help us get it together, then we will do our best to make it happen.

Stan Dobrowski

Stan671
02-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Rodney. We have a great bunch of hard working people on the SEG America team - on the Executive Board, the Regionals Committee and now in the three areas where the SEG America SegwayFests will be held this year. I am very proud of everything we have accomplished so far and have set out to accomplish this year. I offer a round of applause to them all.

Stan Dobrowski

Hauptagon
02-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes! It's during summer vacation! I'm there!!!

-Justin

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

wayne
02-11-2005, 12:00 AM
I see LLC is finally doing what a lot of us have ask for, going on the road.
This will give everyone (well almost everyone) a chance to get together with other owners, Seg America Crew and LLC.

Does this mean that Jim's SegFest is over or will it still be held?

Boy, can you Seg America people take off work that much, or will only the members near the Fest site attend?

Seg-On
Wayne

KSagal
02-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Looks like fun. I may be able to make two...

Great ideas. Keep 'em comming!

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

4Segway
02-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Hello all,
While I read all the chat messages I am not really a chat "talker" but since Craig and I are helping to put together the Sacramento SegwayFest 2005 I felt the need. By the way, for those who don't know me, I am Neelix's mom (that kind of says it all!)

We are excited about the event and are having fun planning out some interesting glides, special events and great speakers. We will have more information for you soon.

This event - as are the others - is for you, the Segway Enthusiast. So give us your feedback about what you would like to see and do. We can't promise to do it all but we will try to pack as much into the time as possible.

Looking foward to seeing everyone in Sacramento - the capital of California!

Laura

pinmagic
02-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm sorry, but Washington, DC is nearly 15 minutes from my home. Can't you do it any closer? ;)

This is great! I'm really looking forward to it. I only recently got my Segway, so I don't really know the details of these events. I would only say that we should be sure to promote this event to non-owners, as a way of exposing them to the Segway. There should be general promotion (news media, etc.), and plenty of free test rides. Is the event big enough to warrant a door prize or raffle of a new Segway? (One at each event, or one nationwide.)

It'll be great to get together as a bunch of owners, but IMHO it's every bit as important that we use this as a marketing tool to the general public. Besides, showing newbies the Segway is half the fun of ownership!

wwhopper
02-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Pinmagic
We would love your help on the host committe here at DC SEG - log on to our yahoo chat site http://www.yahoo.com/group/dc-segways/ for updates. Or e-mail me off list. (I hate it when this site overwrites yahoo with google!)

We really want this to be an event for local gliders as well as our out of town guests!

We have some great ideas that are coming to surface now that we are exploring to make it fun and different from what has been done in the past!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
Taxation Without Representation here in:
Washington, DC, USA

Stan671
02-11-2005, 01:13 PM
The basic format for the SEG America SegwayFest events allows for an "Open House" time when the locals from the area can come and visit with us enthusiasts & owners, get demo rides, and talk to vendors. We are still working out the details of how this will be implememnted, but we certainly would like to do it.

We feel it is important for our SegwayFests to serve the enthusiast and spread the word about these fantastic transportation devices to the world.

Stan Dobrowski

JaredHT
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Great!

Count me in for DC and NH.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio

Florida Ever-Glides
02-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Stan,

Just curious, is Jim/Chandra or Matt involved in the production of any of these events this year?

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

SegwayUtah
02-12-2005, 12:45 AM
The three SegwayFests this year are all being run as non-profit ventures by SEG America chapters in conjunction with Segway LLC's support. The cost and the benefit both appropriately lie with the enthusiasts, and this will make it very affordable for all to attend at least one of the big events.

It's SegwayFest for the people, by the people, near the people. It'll be excited to see many of the "old-timers" as well as many new people this year. I'm personally very excited to get to mingle with some of Segway's own employees (and am very excited about some other great surprises in the works--more details on those in short time).

Chris

wwhopper
02-12-2005, 01:13 AM
We at DC SEG had a great event planning meeting tonight on our being a host city for this fall's SegAmerica event.

We have a lot to do in a short time, and some great volunteers with alot of energy doing them.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
Taxation Without Representation here in:
Washington, DC, USA

cmonkey
02-12-2005, 01:17 AM
Now to see if I can take my seg on a train from Anaheim to Sacramento.
Anyone have experience on the CA train system?

I love my magic carpet!

Stan671
02-12-2005, 01:40 AM
SEG America started planning for these regional events last October when we convened the Regionals Committee. The Reynolds and Matt are not members of our Regionals Committee. We have been working with Segway LLC, however to secure thier full support for our projects and thier attendance at all of our events.

Stan Dobrowski

macgeek
02-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Stan, you should have the 10MPH people there as speakers for the folks who havent met them, maybe even show a rough cut of the documentry

jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

pam
02-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Actually, things do eventually get moved to their "regular" forum, some sooner (usually buy and sell) than later. Usually everything ends up where it's supposed to be within a couple of days. Thanks for bringing it up, Brooster. I'll move this now.
Pam

Stan671
02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Good suggestion, Jonathan. We will see what the 10 MPH people are up to.

Stan Dobrowski

4Seg
02-15-2005, 01:54 PM
I am very excited about SEG America's SegwayFest '05 and the explosive potential to share the gliding experience, communicate safety and best practices, promote community growth, and provide a connection between fellow owners and owners to be.

From SA's member map:
http://www.segamerica.org/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/MemberMap_Feb05.gif
we can easily see that connections are being made and enthusiast communities are growing. SEG America will strive to provide sound assistance for successful local regional events.

In my opinion, '05 is the year of the local group organizers (LGO). Many of us here at SegwayChat, including myself, have established ourselves through countless hours of effort to build our groups. As we might all know, growing our local community can be slow; however, some are growing faster than others. SEG America's goal is to work with LGOs to achieve a pattern for success. The SEG America's SegwayFest '05 is our first attempt to build local groups and communicate the successes throughout the country.

mike

poohbear
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Awesome! I am SO there for Sacramento!

-poohbear
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~khartman/poohseg.gif

solarseg
03-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Can you please make the Washington DC event the same dates as the Solar Decathlon Oct. 7-16 http://www.eere.energy.gov/solar_decathlon/about.html
Not only will there be alot of people in DC park plaza I could make two events in one trip and not take off so much time out of work. It be so cool to Seg with so many people in the plaza looking at Solar Homes.

Itsi Atkins
03-06-2005, 05:51 PM
We would love to hear from Jim about his plans. Will he being doing a fest this year?

wwhopper
03-07-2005, 10:54 AM
DC has 2 dates in mind - 9/23 - 9/25 and 10/14/16. Now I know why the hotels are pricier and harder to book in October!!!

We have some great things in the works for you all!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
SegAmerica's Regional Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

fathertime
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Dear Friends,
Chandra, Matt, and I have some very interesting ideas for this year's SegwayFest! but we think that since SegAmerica jumped in the fray without co-ordinating with us, and the fact that LLC has choosen to let them license the name we will step back and let them have a go. It would seem that the mark will be diluted and rather than bringing folks from all over the globe, the events will be more local in nature. This is fine and we wish them well it just makes it more difficult to bring everyone out for one spectacular event.
I can tell you now that we had an entire city lined up for this year's Fest where every venue would be open to us with the blessing of the city fathers. There were lots of surprises we had in store but I think we will save these for another time.
The local SegAmerica groups wanted a chance to show their stuff so we wish them the best!

JR

Florida Ever-Glides
03-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Jim,

What dissappointing news. It took the tireless work of planning professionals to put Segway Fest together. But I'm sure that one day people will beg you to take it over again. There doesn't seem to be as much excitement for the fest on the chat site as their was in the past...

Tom Jacobson

mrleisure
03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by fathertime

but we think that since SegAmerica jumped in the fray without co-ordinating with us, and the fact that LLC has choosen to let them license the name we will step back and let them have a go.

Can anyone explain who is driving over there at SEGAmerica? (some un-named employee of Segway LLC is my guess)

What a kick in the teeth Jim, I truly feel sorry for you guys. I attended SEGFest-Chicago and thought you guys did a smashing job. It's really hard to imagine disparate local groups will be able to even come close to your coordinated effort.

This is a true shame, and the most dissapointing Segway related news I've heard in a long while.

SEG-NH "You have no idea"

pam
03-07-2005, 05:22 PM
What I think would be nice (FWIW) is alternating years of a major SegFest and then the local SegwayFest meetings. Many people find it difficult to get to a large central meeting, but would be able to get to a regional one. I'm looking forward to Jim, Chandra & Matt's next project, and think the regionals also have a place to serve. JMHO.
Pam

SegwayUtah
03-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Officially, Stan (elected President) is the one driving at SEG America, with navigation assistance from the other elected officers -- although I do make sure I put in my input as a member and the appointed local group coordinator. I would encourage everyone else to do the same -- make your input known. All enthusiasts should put in their two (or twenty!) cents in regarding what they'd love to see at these events.

I'm pretty excited about what I've seen coming together for the SegwayFests this year. These are pretty major productions, and will be not only more local, but very affordable as well. I fully expect both the news about and excitement surrounding these events to build and build as we approach them.

Chris

Stan671
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, Jim. You, Matt, and your family have set a very high standard for SegwayFests that SEG America and the regional organizers will try to live up to.

No disrespect was meant toward you and your efforts this year, Jim. We had no idea what you were working on either until your posting in January after we preannounced our plans.

If you would like to share some of your ideas with SEG America for our smaller regional SegwayFests, please feel free to write directly to me at President@SEGamerica.org.

SEG America's very tentative plans for 2006 only include one west coast regional so far for very early in the year. We think that 2006 may be an excellent time frame for a huge national event.

Again, Jim, thank you for all of the efforts you and your group have given to the Segway enthusiast community and thank you for setting an excellent example. It is our hope to provide as much value to the community with several of our regional events as you have with the national events.

Stan Dobrowski

Stan671
03-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Mr. Leasure, there are no Segway LLC employees on the Executive Board of SEG America. We were all either elected by the members or appointed by the Exec Bd.

Pam, we are of the same thinking.

Stan Dobrowski

SegwayUtah
03-07-2005, 08:09 PM
As Stan mentioned, SEG America is not averse to national SegwayFest events -- and in fact has been discussing having a bigger national SegwayFest event on certain years in addition to, or replacing, the regional SegwayFest events.

And while a single large national event during the year means fewer people will be able to attend a SegwayFest that year (if no regional events were held that year), both regional SegwayFests and national SegwayFests do have their advantages.

I look forward to the time when, hopefully in the not so distant future, we add an International SegwayFest to the mix, pulling in new SEG groups from around the world.

Chris

wwhopper
03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
I hope, no matter what, everyone can work together and put on great events for users of the Segway everywhere!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member
SegAmerica's Regional Event this Fall in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

mrleisure
03-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I guess I'm a little angry after reading Jim's comment.

It just seems like it would be common sense, and certainly common courtesy to give Jim a quick call before you made your announcement. It's not hard to read between the lines and understand that SEGAmerica pulled the rug out from underneath his commercial venture. The excuse to the effect of "He can still do his if he wants" seems patronizing, at best.

It's no secret that I've been critical of SEGAmerica, but this kind of insulting behavior seems only to validate my suspicions.

As a side note I'll also point out that no one from SEGAmerica contacted Mark or Me (We started & run SEG-NH) about the NH event you are apparently holding. But then again, you never contacted us when you declared our riding group was suddenly part of your organization when you launched it last year.

Sorry, but it's getting harder and harder to take SEGAmerica seriously. You seem more interested in trying to jam your own agenda onto the owner community than directing the open discussions that would build real consensus amongst the rest of us.

Why SEGAmerica would even want to hold a SEG-Fest is the million dollar question. SEG-Fest wasn't broken, so why was one-upping Jim even on the radar? On the other hand there is legislation that's really broken, right now (think NYC for example) and SEGAmerica can't seem to publicize any steps it's taken, or will take, to change that.

Sorry if I insult, but I doubt I'm alone in my views.

SEG-NH "You have no idea"

Sleepy
03-08-2005, 12:23 AM
I have to agree with mrleisure.
It doesn't seem like SEG America handled the planning of SegFest'05 appropriately. Bay Area SEG was also not informed of SegFest'05 until *after* the public announcement that the local SEGs were planning the event. It was a major surprise to me, since no one had ever contacted me about it. Since then, things have been cleared up with the SEG America folks. But as of today, the Sacramento SegFest'05 is being run by the Knight family and not Bay Area SEG. Our group's participation will most likely be limited to holding a Seg polo match the day after SegFest.

-Alex

KSagal
03-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I do not know the details, and would rather not jump to conclusions.

From what was posted in this thread, it does seem that the organizers of segfest 03, and segfest 04 were clearly not treated with the respect that they earned, for all their hard work.

I would like to think that there was communication behind the scenes at the very genisis of the concept of taking over the Segfest name and concept. If there was not, then a great dis-service was done to hard working members of this community, and an appology is overdue.

I, for one, am likely to go to a couple of the regional events, and expect to have a good time.

A great deal of this expectation is because I had such a good time at segfest 04 in FLA. The organizers of that event have all the goodwill at this point.

Let's let everyone get to the same page and all have a great time...

Karl Ian Sagal

Stan671
03-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Alex, the Sacramento SegwayFest is still wide open. What would you and your group like to do? How can you shape it to the unique personality of northern California, to the personality of the Sacramento area, to the personality of your Bay Area SEG? We want it to have a flavor of the area and of the people. Help us do this.

We cannot make this happen by remote control. We need the assistance of the local people to offer suggestions and to help with the details. We need the local people to help during the event. Can you please help us with these things?

Just the other day, we settled on a date and hotel. We'll announce the specifics very shortly. Now that this has been determined, it is time to dig deep into the details of how this SegwayFest is going to be. Now is the time for everyone involved to step up and let's all work together to make this happen and be a success!

Stan Dobrowski

Florida Ever-Glides
03-08-2005, 01:19 AM
I think it is the #1 responsibility of SEG America to ensure that our riding 'freedoms' stay intact. And, to use the organization to strengthen the presense of Segways.

If another group with vast experience in putting on a 'major' Segway event is planning something for 2005, it is logical that a discussion would have taken place to at least assist/consult SEG America to ensure success and free up valuable resources to more important areas.

These events are complex to plan and implement. It looks like the responsibility is being placed on 'new' regional groups with little resources. I wish them the best of luck. I doubt that very many people will be attending these events. The overall enthusiasm is noticibly lower than last years event at this time. No offense intended, but events of this magnatude are uaually produced by professionals.

I think Stan and his inner circle will do the best that they can with help from LLC...

Tom Jacobson

driley
03-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Maybe regional "SegMeets" and a national SegFest would have been the solution which would have satisfied everyone all around. I have heard a lot of people arguing for each. If the previous promoters have been able to continue on, it would have not stopped the regional events from happening.

It does seem odd that the previous promoters were not notified earlier. There must be issues going on that we are not aware of.

I would be very unlikely to attend a national SegFest unless it were right in my backyard or there was something more compelling than previous events that would make me want to go.

Devin

Itsi Atkins
03-08-2005, 03:04 AM
I agree with Tom, and welcome anyone and everyone to New York. The NYC efforts are totally independent from any segway organization and my independent status is the cornerstone of our efforts. Maybe we all can celebrate a legal Segway day in NYC in the near future. I wish all the regional efforts success and I am sure New Yorkers will attend. If anyone wants to help start an international group, it is just a matter of communications.
itsi atkins
www.segwaynyc.com

Itsi Atkins
03-08-2005, 03:10 AM
Wayne, I would love to hear your notes on this subject.
Stan, It would have been wise to stay in direct communications with the 2nd and 3rd place Seg America presidential canidates ( Jim and myself) We are people who support Segway use and could be of value to you and the efforts of Seg America.

Sleepy
03-08-2005, 05:17 AM
I just want to clarify my last statement-- I think the Knights are doing a great service to the Seg community by volunteering to organize a local event, and members of our local SEG are ready to support it. But I think if SEG America is advertising the event as being organized by the local groups that they should have contacted the local groups *first* before announcing it. It seems odd that at least 2 of the 3 local SEG coordinators had no knowledge of SegFest '05 until it was announced to everyone.
Stan, these questions you have about how our local SEG can help support the event should have been asked *prior* to announcing it, not after. We'll be working with Laura directly on how we can assist and help make this a successful event.

-Alex

wwhopper
03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Two organizers of DCSEG were contacted in January about our interest and willingness to host a regional event in Washington DC this fall. This was a result of the personal interactions we have had with SA members and leaders who have come to DC for visits, as well as requests for SA to host regional events as a way to get more local regional turnout with lower transportation costs.

This talk about professionals managing SegwayfesT – I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Reynolds Team are not, and were not, event planning professionals. They ARE Segway Enthusiasts that took time away from their personal lives, their family, and their own business to share with us for the last two years. And they have done a fantastic job! The term “professional” indicates that they would be making their living by planning and holding these events. And from what I could ascertain, there was not much of a “living” to be made from running SegwayfesT over the last two years. And as a planner for the DC event – I can tell you there is not a “living” to be made on the ones to be held this year either!

The folks that have worked, and are working on SegwayfesT do it for the shear love of the Segway and the development of the friendships that come out of the events.

SA is doing its best to do something for its membership; It’s members whom everyone who owns a Segway IS! No doubt, some toes have been stepped on and some feelings hurt, because of communication issues. Not because someone wanted to go out of their way to do it!

One of the reasons SC has become so empty recently, is the fact that folks want to share about their Segways in a positive environment, not to listen to others gripping and harping on the faults and the downfalls of others. I know several of our DC SEG members refuse to logon to SC anymore, and look to the local group to keep up-to-date on really important Segway issues.

Let’s all go back to moving forward and work together to promote the Segway!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
DCSEG Member

Stan671
03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Thank you, Alex and group for being good sports about this. The bottom line is that we all want to have a great SegwayFest in Sacramento in May.

Personalities aside, notification timings aside, wording in public announcements aside, it should only be about what is good for the Segway enthusiast community.

I'm not a professional at running an enthusiast group, neither is anyone else on the Executive Board. Therefore we are not perfect at it. But our passion and drive and desire to do good for the community is always at the heart of what we do. Perhaps we can be forgiven our missteps. We will learn from our mistakes.

We strongly believe that 2005 is going to be the best year ever for SEG America and the Segway enthusiast community.

Stan Dobrowski

Brooster
03-09-2005, 02:42 AM
There's no question that Jim, Chandra and Matt got shortchanged on this deal, despite the fact that it was originally Jim who started the thread--in the main forum--which still appears as "sticky" at the top of this "events" forum.

While I don't fully understand why Jim would want to take on the responsibility of a third SegwayFest, he obviously had the desire to do so. I do know that he'd done extensive behind-the-scenes planning and had arranged for huge financial backing from a city that would have thrown their arms around us.

Soon after the time he started his thread asking what people would like to see, we saw the sudden announcement that SEGAmerica is now in charge of SegwayFest, and the announcement of not one but three Segwayfests in 2005. Indeed, the SegwayFest name and--the license for that name--now belongs to SEGAmerica.

Considering that the concept of SEGAmerica was born over a lunch table at SegwayFest 2003 (I was there when it happened), a reasonable person would expect that Jim might at least have been consulted after the huge investment he's made in building this community.

He was not consulted. All it would have taken would have been a phone call. Segway LLC's latest management team has obviously decided to bypass a person who not only financed and did enormous work to produce the first two SegwayFests, but who also put forth the investment to become one of the first--and most passionate--Segway dealers. I don't know how a person (and his family and friends) could possibly do more.

If Segway LLC had ever followed through with consistent and substantive communication with the user community, I think SEGAmerica could really have taken off. Unless I'm missing something, that hasn't happened. The "culture of secrecy" is still King at Bedford. We're somehow still supposed to feel "honored" when Segway says anything to us.

As it stands today, I don't see SEGAmerica being much more than a "hollow shell," led by two people who will be "Segway can do no wrong" cheerleaders until the end, gushing enthusiastically about everything Segway LLC does do or does say. The "that is so cool" and "I so want to go" comments begin to wear a little thin in the absence of substance and solid business decisions.

The idea of the January 29th "Memorabilia Sale" was great ... but where are the eBay auctions of memorabilia items for the people who weren't able to "pre-register" (due to huge "demand") and attend the sale? It's my understanding that the sale was attended by only 15-20 people.

From my vantage point here in Chicago as a member of the SegwayFest 2003 Organizing Committee and very early adopter of the Seg, what I'm seeing today doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yes, the idea of having a nationwide SegwayFest every other year definitely makes sense to me. The idea of holding regional events makes sense as well. But the idea of pulling the license for the SegwayFest name--with no communication from Segway LLC--from the people who have put forth such a huge financial and emotional investment in this event's early history ... is somehow beyond my understanding.

I'll be looking on with great interest to see how all of this comes together. Hopefully the dealer comunity, which in large part was absent at SegwayFest 2004 (but present on site for the required dealer meeting a day or two later), will step up at these events and help pull it together.

Brooster

Stewbonz
03-09-2005, 08:31 AM
An idea I have would be for SegAmerica to help local groups organize weekly get togethers all year long. Each group pick a weekend in their state and have open invitations.
The Wisconson folks might have their weekend coincide with the Oshkosh Airshow. In Monterey a Car show, 4th of July in Philladelphia, Vermont might have Fall Color Segway Rides.
Each area has somthing to offer.
Everyone would have multiple opportunities to hang out and do some group Segway riding.

Of course hold a yearly event where SegwayLLC has major participation and ask Jim to reconsider.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Itsi Atkins
03-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Since it seems that the local events are not even close to being ready and Jim has no much head start on the fest, that the SEG events be postponed until next year. During this year's SegFest by Jim, the SEG America leaders can unify and plan for the first regional next year. This will then begin the alternation of events, restore good will and make the Segway community ever stronger.

Stan671
03-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Just to clarify a matter of fact in which Brooster is mistaken: The license granted to SEG America for the use of the name SegwayFest is a one year long non-exclusive license. This is the same license granted to Jim's organization for the first two SegwayFests.

Segway LLC owns the name SegwayFest.

Stan Dobrowski

Itsi Atkins
03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
If this is the only mistake in Brooster posting and you are not arguing with Mr. Leasure and other mainstay chat members consider delaying your events. Without Alex and other local leaders you will burn out. Eye to Eye discussion at Jim's 2005 event will produce a great year for your regional events in 2006. think about it. It is really a choice for the membership and the owners who have to do the work, not Stan and the officers. Your only as strong as your members!

macgeek
03-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Ummm Guys, Politics aside, the Idea of the regional "segwayFests" were a Lower cost alternative to the "mega show" segfest - Were gliders and there kin can get to meet Fellow gliders.

Lets keep our eye on the prize

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

PoloAk
03-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Personally, I was really looking forward to this year's big event that Jim was planning; I'm a <moderately> poor college student and I still wanted to attend a regional and a national. The two were not mutually exclusive in my mind. I'm sorry to see that Jim and Chandra won't be going ahead with their plans; that was never my intention when I voiced my approval for regional events.

Kelsey

"Half of the world has an IQ of less than average. Think about it. . ."

PoloAk
03-10-2005, 12:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by PoloAk

Personally, I was really looking forward to this year's big event that Jim was planning; I'm a <moderately> poor college student and I still wanted to attend a regional and a national. The two were not mutually exclusive in my mind. I'm sorry to see that Jim and Chandra won't be going ahead with their plans; that was never my intention when I voiced my approval for regional events.

Having three events means that more of us meet and rekindle the excitement about being an owner.

Professional engineering associations have regional activities culminating in one big national love-fest for geeks, why can't we?

I hope Jim takes the extra time to organize the hell out of the next one; we've seen what one year's planning can do-imagine what he can do in two!

Kelsey

Kelsey

Itsi Atkins
03-10-2005, 02:31 AM
Anyone can have a segway owners little festival!
I can help, especially Jim, with the domain names: segfest2005.com or .org
itsi
www.nycsegway.com

KSagal
03-10-2005, 02:32 AM
I too was getting excited about the "whole town" thing, it was just the kind of thing I, and many others, asked for.

I also like the idea of SegAmerica helping on local regular activities. I think that regular glides, like I read about in other areas, Like NYC and Calif are the way to go.

I wonder if a level of community can be maintained if we continue to go months and years without seeing segs in the wild...

There should be a conserted effort to make group glides. They are natural attention getters.

Karl Ian Sagal

Stan671
03-10-2005, 04:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Soon after the time he started his thread asking what people would like to see, we saw the sudden announcement that SEGAmerica is now in charge of SegwayFest, and the announcement of not one but three Segwayfests in 2005Actually, Brooster, the sequence of events goes like this:

From topic: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9309
Oct 15: I mention that smaller regional events that are shorter and less expensive are a good idea and that a large national event would make sense again in 1 or 2 years. There is further discussion about SEG America and small regional regional events.

Oct 16: Brooster says, "Have you guys considered the fact that the organizers lost a good chunk of change two years in a row? We all love the Seg ... but we just can't allow this to happen to our friends again. No way. This idea of "owner organized" SegFests has run its course."

Oct 16: Stan says to Brooster, "With SEG America, Segway LLC and local SEG's, I think there will be some movement in this area"

Oct 19: Topic dies with no comments from Jim about future plans.

SEG America had no idea Jim was working on anything at all. In fact, from all reports by Brooster, there was never going to be another Fest. When we contacted Segway LLC for the license for the name SegwayFest, they said that Jim had not applied for his yet. So, SEG America stepped up to the plate and moved forward with plans for three small Fests.

From topic: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10073
Jan 11: Tom starts a topic asking about SegwayFest 2005.

Jan 12: I preannounce that SEG America is planning on at least three Fest events and mention three general locations. I encourage anyone interesting in helping with a Fest to contact me.

Jan 13: Someone quotes a message from Brooster complaining that Segway wants its customers to do their work for them. His message cannot be found now, though.

Jan 13: Jim preannounces his plans for a SegwayFest in 2005. Jim mentions that he doesn't think anyone else has the licensing rights or leverage to take over the Fests.

Jan 14: Jim asks Pam to make a survey with questions about SegwayFest 2005.

From topic: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10093
Jan 15: Pam creates new topic with Jim's survey.

Jan 19: Jim says, "I think that the regionals are a great idea and perhaps the local dealers can partner with SegAmerica to make that happen with local events or promotions that will benefit all of us in a particular area ... If we plan properly all of these ideas can happen locally and then culminate in SegwayFest! 2005"

From topic: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10230
Feb 10: SEG America officially announces three small, low cost regional events and mentions the cities or locations and approximate dates. We did not announce that we were in charge of anything.

Did Jim know of our plans in January? I don't see how he could have missed it. Should he have contacted us? If we accidently threatened his business, then yes. After Jan 13, should we have contacted Jim? Probably. Would it have made any difference in our plans? Probably not. I would have echoed Jim's own idea and offered to Jim to postpone his plans for a year, let us do our little regional events in 2005, and then think about a super fest in 2006.

Stan Dobrowski

Florida Ever-Glides
03-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Whether or not there are regional or national events,the BEST benefit to ALL of us is to make sure as many interested (non-owners)people are brought out to the fests. We need to make these HUGE public relations events. We all like to 'preach the love/benefits/fun' of the HT to newbies, so let's use the press wisely to attract thousands to these fests. They will make money, demonstrate the ease/safety, and promote the 'positive' reasons to own a Segway. Anything less is a 'lost opportunity'...

Tom Jacobson

SegwayUtah
03-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Absolutely, Tom. It would be great to help build Segway awareness in each of the local communities as we put on the Fests this year. Although I'm not sure how we can raise awareness in New Hampshire; they're already pretty proud of the HT :)

Chris