PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see at SegFest 2005?

pam
01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Jim Reynolds has asked for advice, and for a week this thread will remain sticky. It will be released and moved to the events area next Saturday. Please keep all your responses in this thread, and please use this form by either cutting and pasting or clicking on the reply icon. I will try to update this initial topic with the numerical responses. Please feel free to make comments after each question. I will be moving those, also, under each question in this initial post.
Thanks!

Jim says:
We would love for any and all of you to post your suggestions.

Please post a location that takes you out of your home town area. It's easy to want the Fest in your own back yard but the reality is that most folks will have to travel some distance.

Do you want it in a central location?

Do you want easy airline access?

Are you willing to fly and drive?

Do you want a first class hotel or a cheaper venue.

Do you a want to have it in the Summer or Fall?

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own?

Do you want more group glides or to be left on your own?

Do you want seminars like the ones we've been producing or something different?

Will you commit to coming early so that we can hold down the prices for everyone?

Do you want photo ops, scavenger hunts, and fun activities, just informational seminars, or a mix of both?

What new things would you like to see from LLC in terms of support?

Would you like to see Seg America step up to the plate with a contribution?

If we held SegwayFest! 2005 in a small centrally located town with waterfront access, miles of gliding paths, a Seg friendly government, decent weather (in the Summer), and merchant participation welcoming all gliders, inexpensive hotels, and informal meals would this be preferable to a trendy convention area in fine year-round weather with more expensive hotels, better meals, an indifferent local government, but lots more night life.

Please, everyone chime in and let us hear your voice on this planning brainstorm.

Now is the time to make your voice heard. And Dealers please let us know if you intend to support this year's Fest with your attendance.

(Pam's note: Dealers might want to respond to Fathertime privately, if you're uncomfortable with posting intention within the thread)

ZoliHonig
01-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry I don't have some answers to some questions... this would be my 1st fest

Location- NYC

Yes

Yes

Yes

Cheaper Venue

Summer

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own?
Get that all on our own

More group glides

Yes

Will you commit to coming early so that we can hold down the prices for everyone?
(blank)

Do you want photo ops, scavenger hunts, and fun activities, just informational seminars, or a mix of both?
Both

(blank)

(blank)

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Itsi Atkins
01-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I would like to see segway races, and do the events on a grass horse track. Many types of races would bring the Fest a new level of interest. Tap the NASCAR fans.

W9GFO
01-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Location?
West Coast. We've had Central and East Coast, it's time for us west coasters.

Central West coast would be fine.

Don't care as long as it's on the West Coast.

I'll probably drive if it's on the West Coast.

I'm pretty much broke, cheap is good.

Preferably when I don't have to miss too much school.

That's really not important to me.

I think group glides are good.

Yes.

Huh?

Some kind of skills competetion would be nice.

I think LLC did great at the first one, don't know aboout last year 'cuz I didn't go, too far and too much $$$$

I'd like to see them involved.

Did I mention I want it on the West Coast ?

Rich H
(on the West Coast)

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html

FusionMag
01-15-2005, 09:22 PM
That would be ideal for everyone. I love to travel so I am game.

Yeah.. maybe even be able to glide from the Airport if people can do that with their bags.

yeah I suppose so...

Cheaper Venue, being on a seg feels like first class anyhow

Summer is best...

All on our own...

GROUP GLIDES! Maybe a segway Joust or Segway polo

I prefer fresh and creative seminars..

Yeah... how early?

All of the above

Hmmmm...

Sure, that would help alot to offset something.

AJ
Cleveland, Ohio

Segway City
01-15-2005, 10:10 PM

NO! Distributed across the country in several regional areas, and not at the same time. Folks should feel free to travel between several regional events, if they choose.

Regional=drivabilty, lower cost.

Drive yes, fly no. Airlines cost an extra $500 plus transportation once there.

$65 is enough to pay for a motel room, and it need not be "at" the site, nearby is good enough. Cost is the major determining factor, followed closely and allied with distance travelled.

Late summer, early fall.

A lunch onsite where activities warrant and a final dinner included in ticket price is okay. Otherwise, ala carte.

Group glides available on a time scheduled basis, with locals providing color commentary. Schedule the time, allow for signups, but allow impulse accompanyment and social glides during the same period.

The question assumes previous attendance. Standard seminars, but add time for spontaneous or unscheduled speakers and presentations.

Too much obligation required to commit, prevents last minute attendance. Provide "early bird" pricing with give-away or VIP incentives, but the price should be affordable no matter how many attend.

Both.

Repair seminars, maintenance seminars, how about a lousy parts catalog breaking out major parts and expected costs?

Loaded question. SEG America's reason for being is "to encourage and facilitate Segway HT related events like touring, outings, and recreational activities." Their (our) contribution should take the form of local color generation during regional events. SegFest in any form should be self-liquidating and not reliant upon forced monetary contributions. I guarantee that, if asked, each SEG member would gladly provide time and local coordination for their regional events.

Final comments:
Expected cost: no more than $75 per person per day maximum, rooms and food should be on the participant, not a part of ticket cost.

Length: no more than a long weekend, 2 days is perfect.

Venue: small business conference center or the like.

pam
01-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Central is nice, but if I"m going to have to fly, then it could be almost anywhere.

If I have to fly, yes.

Does that mean I'd have to fly and then rent a car? Or that there would be transportation to the area from whatever airport? I guess it would depend on the venue.

I'd like a little less expensive than the prevous two. They were gorgeous, but if we could go less expensive, and still have the ability to ride our Segways inside, I'd be pleased.

I'm limited by my schedule at work. I'm ok with either, although the summer is easier for me, as long as it's not the weekend I'm giving midterms or finals to my students.

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own?Definitely on my own.

I like the options of group glides. It's fun to be with others on group glides.

Do you want seminars like the ones we've been producing or something different?I've been the last 2 years and found the seminars to be very interesting. I know it's probably not easy to come up with new ones each time. But I'd love to know how Keolis is coming along, and how the area up in - is it Port Huron, Michigan is doing.

Will you commit to coming early so that we can hold down the prices for everyone?If the days will work out with my work schedule, I'll commit to coming early.

Do you want photo ops, scavenger hunts, and fun activities, just informational seminars, or a mix of both?I think a mix of all is a good thing.

Hmmmm.. Well, if the batteries are out, I'd love to see the chance to upgrade there. I'd love to see an opportunity to ride on the Centaur, like we had on the Ibot the first year.

Would you like to see Seg America step up to the plate with a contribution?If they're doing regionals, I'd love to hear about their plans for that.

KSagal
01-15-2005, 11:17 PM
By means of background information, I bought my machine at about the time of Segfest 2003, and did not know of it so I did not attend. I did go to Segfest 2004 and had a great time. I also spent about $ 2000.00 for a four day weekend and blew off a business trip (Caused political difficulties at work to this day...) Still and all, Segfest 2004 was so much fun, especially after Stuart arrived, it was all worth it...

Tough question. Central is basic to where do you live? I live on the East coast, but in Boston. The flight to Florida was long enough that any other place in the country would not have made a significant difference.

Based on location. The comment is real, that everyone that is not local will need to get there. Flying is the most likely transportation, especially for a short event. I would drive much farther for a week than I would for 2 days...

Again, depends on where it is held. The last location in Florida was at a great hotel. There were nice glides on the property, but there was no place to go.

I would vote that we go to an area that has things to do. There are many locations around the country that have many activities. The Boardwalk in Atlantic city, the little villiages on Cape Cod, Almost anywhere in Orlando, Daytona Beach has a strip, Las Vegas has the strip and downtown, Fishemans Warf and Giridelli Square, and I'm sure dozens of other locations. These are just what came to mind.

Again, if the area that is chosen is in an area that caters to tourists, then there will be a number of choices next door. I loved the hotel in Florida, but it was not cheap, and that kept people away. If the festival was at a nice hotel with a convention center that was at a location like many we can all think of, those that want to pay several hundred a night and get what comes with it can do that, while next door, the motel six can have the rest of us. I can do either, as long as it is clean, and the shower is hot, I don't spend much time in the room. Personnally, even though I loved the Florida Hotel, it had more stars than I normally look for.

Again, depends on location. Summer in Chicago is fine, summer in Miami is tough. October in Seatle can be wet, I've been told that honolulu works at any time. I think as a country, September or June have the most reasonable climes...

I enjoyed the Breakfast with Dean talk and many other theme meals and like that. But lets face it, I didn't go there for breakfast. It is nice to have events like this, but it all depends on schedules. If the event is only 2 days, each of these theme meals takes several hours, so they are out. If the event is three or four days, and theme meal a day is fun. The rest could be ala cart. Again, if the fest is in a populated area, meals could be catch as catch can. I have never been hungry for more than moments on the strip in Vegas.

Group glides. Again, there should be some place to glide to. It could be simple, like to the beach, or maybe to a cluster of mom & pop stores or even a swap meet. What about a local glide to the local car club, or off to the local rod and gun club. Whatever. Do not take these examples as gospel, I'm just streaming...

I loved the seminars. I was just a little conflicted with some seminars that I wanted to go to that overlapped. It was a fun delema. For me, I love to learn, so this was a major draw.

Some people just do not have the kind of lives that let them make these type of commitments. Again, if an area with many facilities of differing levels takes care of much of this, but also costs on the other side...

I like the early registration discounts or special perks as an incentive, but not a requirement.

I had a great time on the scavenger hunt till someone went insane. That really ruined it for me. Having fun and not hurting other people seems to be a difficult concept for some people. That having been said, even with the exposure, I think it was a great idea. The photo ops, the glidewwriting and other events were great. That is one of the major reasons to go to these fesivals...

Everyone likes to be on the inside when it comes to what is new and hot. If new products are ready to be released, this would be the time. Concept vehicles on display, similiar to car shows would be great. I don't quite get the LLC link. We all love to hear and meet the LLC folks, especially the creative souls, but I never understood the expectation that the manufacture sponsor the enthusiasts event. I cannot see how many of the seminars or concept vehicle displays could happen without LLC involvement, but the fest could and should be relatively self sustaining. (Vendor sales, sponsors, rentals, dealer booths, and LLC)

I thought this was SA's mission. Do they do something other than promote Segways?

So there you have it. This was all off the cuff, I am rarely at a loss for words. I will have more ideas milling in my head all night...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Ground Loop
01-16-2005, 05:39 AM
Please post a location that takes you out of your home town area. It's easy to want the Fest in your own back yard but the reality is that most folks will have to travel some distance.
Las Vegas, Nevada -- off strip is fine.

Central, Yes.

Yes, very important.

Both, prefer driving, but with a central location, not likely.

Cheaper, or optional/unbundled venue.

Summer

Certainly on my own. Bundling seems to make them very expensive meals.

More group glides

I haven't seen them, but the ones in the past sounded excellent to me.

Yes

Most informational

How about a live Q&A?

Personel and information. Send the gurus, and allow them to talk frankly about the product. Send tech hardware, like before. Demos of fun/concept stuff.

It would be nice if LLC (or dealers) brought a slew of accessories to shop, of course.

wwhopper
01-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Instead of one location, have several regional meetings around the country - hosted by local SEG's. That way more folks can get to them.

Do not limit it - all means of transportation should be encouraged.

I am still leary of taking my HT on a plane - so I would rather drive.

Cheaper venue in a GREAT LOCATION would hit the spot.

Depending on the location - would depend on the time of year. Fall in DC is wonderful, Summer in Arizona would be horrid, but summer in New England would be great.

A good mix works - some group dinners and lunches, some on their own

For sure more group interaction on board the HT - Guided tours of the location, games etc.

Limit it to one or 2 a day - maybe with the meal function.

If it were convienent and it would not take forever to get there.

A good mix of both, gliding, informational events, fun and games too.

I would like to see SegAmerica and the local SEGs take more role in arranging activities. But of course door prizes and other goodies would be welcome. Sadly the expense of these events is tremendous and doing it the right way takes money - which SegAmerica does not have.

SegAmerica should be where enthusist events fall under.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Taxation Without Representation here in:
Washington, DC, USA

GyroGo
01-16-2005, 10:25 PM
yes
yes
fly OR drive (rather than rent a car)
cheaper
Fall
on own
more? SOME group glide options ("more" is a relative term)
both (many potential attendees haven't seen the "old" ones, previous attendees want something interesting/new.
Maybe
informational, for me personally, but not against "fun activities" offered.
A real keynote, for one.
why not, if they are willing and able.

god1138
01-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Do you want it in a central location? Sure... Central TEXAS! San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Houston. Take your pick.

Do you want easy airline access? If it's in Texas at any of the mentioned locations, chances are it WOULD have easy airline access with all the hubs available in the state.

Are you willing to fly and drive? I've always wanted to fly... like Superman. I'll drive if it's in Texas, I'll stay home if it's not.

Do you want a first class hotel or a cheaper venue. CHEAPER VENUE! $189 a night for three or four nights is SADISTIC. SegFest should be a 'fan convention' in the most practical senses of the word. If I wanted a vacation at a first class resort, I'd take one without a need to attend a convention. Frankly, I don't have the bankroll to afford nearly $800 for a room to sleep in. Considering all the activities involved at a Segway Fest, that's too damn steep to pay for a temporary sleeping space. HoJo's and Comfort Suites and Best Westerns of the $40 a night variety are perfectly acceptable. Not all of us are rich, you know...

Do you a want to have it in the Summer or Fall? I prefer not to fall off my Segway at all. ; ) Summer would be nice.

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own? I can pay for my own double cheeseburgers, thank you. Besides, one never can appreciate a territories' true cuisine if it's all catered. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners should be discretionary based on people's finances. Drive the ticket price down and let people explore a Segway Fest city is my line of thinking.

Do you want more group glides or to be left on your own? Part of the wonder and fun of being a Segway owner and having friends in the Segway community lies in the discoveries you make together. Pre-empting that discovery with a planned event only discourages the freedom to 'get rolling' on your own. People are going to go on independent glides irregardless, so you might as well let it be a less-organized and less-planned event.

Do you want seminars like the ones we've been producing or something different? More skill drills, more hands-on with new products. More intimate, inter-personal time with the developers and engineers behind these magnificent machines. Seminars are great, but nothing beats a few minutes of one-on-one personal attention.

Will you commit to coming early so that we can hold down the prices for everyone? As long as the prices don't start out at $189 a night and $300 for the convention admission. Drive it wayyyyyyyy down and you'll probably see all sorts of people crawling out of the woodwork.

Do you want photo ops, scavenger hunts, and fun activities, just informational seminars, or a mix of both? Hands-on with the new toys. No 'insider' stuff. How about a less-formal setting? How about less flash and more bang for the buck? Less closed-door stuff. More fun, less expense.

HANDS ON WITH THE NEW TOYS! ; )

Would you like to see Seg America step up to the plate with a contribution? SEG America should be running this thing (sorry if that's burdensome, Stan!). This should be a by-the-fans/for-the-fans/not-for-profit event... more of a community-sanctioned and sponsored event, not a corporate procedure. What makes the Segway community so great? PERSONALITIES. The chance to make great friends. We don't have to pay much for that with local/regional groups, and we shouldn't have to pay that much more for a national get-together. I believe Segway Fest should be more like a picnic or a backyard barbeque and less like a prom night/gala event. With prices as they were in the past two (which were almost LUDICROUS!), you won't be attracting near as many people.

In summary:

LOW COST. MORE FUN. MORE COMMUNITY. LESS RETAIL. MORE RELAXED. LESS PROFIT-DRIVEN. MORE FAMILY-LIKE. Remember, it should be a picnic or a pool party, not a gala event. Those are the things I absolutely feel the most strong about.

-Robert O'Sullivan
Owner of the World's First Segway Tattoo!

florin
01-17-2005, 05:51 AM
I don't mind where it is, as long as it is a nice place to be for a reasonable price and easy to get there. Personally I would prefer to have it somewhere in europe, like Paris or London. But I know that probably isn't possible due to the fact that the majority of the Segway Owners live in the US, so you folks probably want to organize it somewhere in the US.

yes, I want to get on the plane, get out of the plane, get in a taxi or shuttle bus and go directly to the place to be.

Flying only

Just a nice mid-price hotel is fine for me. The biggest part of the time we would be segwaying, so I doesn't really have to be fancy.

Whenever the wheather is reasonable

I wan't the breakfast, the rest I assume we can find by our self. The important thing for me would be that it's a nice meal for a reasonable price, if that can be arranged by SegwayFest, than it's fine for me.

Both, but I need to be able to rent/borrow a segway at the fest.

Don't know, I haven't been to one of the fests before

Depends on the price

mix of both

Discuss ideas with LLC, more openess from LLC about the future and ofcourse some possibilities to get extra set of (special)keys and all kinds of other little gadgets for the segway for low prices.

Other Comments:
Please keep the prices low, then it will be possible for more people to come, realize that a trip to the fest from outside the US will be quit expensive already. When possible organize (smaller) fests outside the US.

I always have difficulties to get used to the time difference, so I need to be able to come a few days earlier, please make sure this is possible. From the pictures of the previous fests it all looks quit exclusive, which means that it's also expensive. The main purpose of the fest is to come together, have fun and hear interresting stories from LLC and others, so If I have to choose between the a fancy dinner or a BBQ, then give me the BBQ :D.

When you make it possible to keep the prices reasonable for people outside the US, then I'm sure you can get more people to come.

Since I would have to come from the Netherlands, the flight will be the most expensive (let's say between 800 and 1000 euro), then I don't want to come over for only a fest of 3 days, so please choose a place that people can come a few days earlier, get used to the time difference and can also do some sight-seeing before and during the fest.

Please don't forget that not everyone has a segway or wants to take his/hers segway with him/her on the flight, so please make sure that we can rent segways for a reasonable price.

That are my ideas for now, I hope that they are usefull for you.

Kind regards,

Florin

Visit http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo if you want to stay up-to-date on the situation about the Segway HT in the Netherlands.
http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo/uploads/cavt41287ea7e3ec0

Florida Jim
01-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I bought my Segway after the segfest in Florida, ....but how about another?! Orlando, maybe? Someplace where there are cool stuff to see that is within the range of our machines.

Yes

I'd rather drive. Packing the segway for flight would be scary and exspensive.

Somewhere in the middle. Not the Ritz Carlton, but not a Motel 6 either.

Fall. Cool weather.

All the meals prepaid would be nice.

Group glides please!

There's alway something to learn, I'd like seminars.

Yes.

Yes to the first four.

Any new software upgrades, all the available accessories so we can see them, etc.

Yes, they should be deeply involved.

Raving Glide
01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
YES... How about Central Oregon... Bend? Ski area lodges closed but, could maybe be used?

Redmond Oregon has Airline services and Portland (Major airline (PDX)) is only 165 miles away or 3.5 hours.

YES... up to 200 miles driving and Fly up to 1500 Miles.

Do you want a first class hotel or a cheaper venue. Cheaper is always better... Segway is a First Class Item but, my budget said go cheaper ($85 a night with food).

Fall is always nice for nature Glides.

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own? Group price is nice for food.

Do you want more group glides or to be left on your own? 50/50 I like to take long glides... where I do only acouple DEMOS from time to time.

Do you want seminars like the ones we've been producing or something different? YES... also tech think tanks are nice also.

Will you commit to coming early so that we can hold down the prices for everyone? Yes and depending on support of local dealers could do setup tear down work to cut costs on both sides... again depending on location area cost.

What new things would you like to see from LLC in terms of support? New models & Prototypes to Test.

Would you like to see Seg America step up to the plate with a contribution? Maybe as local planning and manning but each event is also a sales tool for Segway LLC so large amount of the cost should come from Segway and local dealers... Just my 5 cents of thought.

Grant

GW

fathertime
01-18-2005, 06:48 PM
I have an additional question that I'd like you all to respond to please:

If we held SegwayFest! 2005 in a small centrally located town with waterfront access, miles of gliding paths, a Seg friendly government, decent weather (in the Summer), and merchant participation welcoming all gliders, inexpensive hotels, and informal meals would this be preferable to a trendy convention area in fine year-round weather with more expensive hotels, better meals, an indifferent local government, but lots more night life.

While these choices are not fleshed out it will give us an indication of which direction everyone wants to go and how we should fashion this year's Fest![^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P]

JR

pam
01-18-2005, 07:15 PM
To the last question, I'd love it in the centrally located town with waterfront access.
Pam

Raving Glide
01-18-2005, 09:11 PM
That was why I suggested Bend Oregon. it has river trails(dirt and paved), small and large park areas, hotels that in the end of summer become cheaper, about every kind of food (from pricy to cheap (its a location thing). Town/city life styles. 3 or 4 Segway dealerships in Oregon (one in Bend). I should know, I live,work and play here. Check it out and post your ideas.

Grant

GW

Florida Ever-Glides
01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Jim,

I think it's time for a 'small town SegFest' done in a very scenic location that has easy access and moderately priced. One where the town could get involved with a Segway inspired parade, community 'segway' activities, all done in a location with lots of riding variety including off-road.

The SegwayFest could even start using the event to designate 'Segway Friendly communities'.

Lets use the Fest this year to open up different levels of involvement accross the board. If we stay away from the expensive resort and take it to a smaller 'country setting' I think it could be much larger especially if the cost could be kept down and relatively easy to get to.

It's a big task but one that could finally have a huge turnout and impact...

Please contact me if you need my help...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

brianh
01-18-2005, 10:27 PM
I would like to see smaller, multiple regional festivals organized by some neutral third-party (such as SEG America), who isn't seeking to profit off of our enthusiasm and support for Segway. Such a smaller event would be far more affordable for most people, because it means less travel, and less time away from home and work.

I'm not sure a convention hotel is necessary or even appropriate for a set of smaller regional festivals, as long as the activities themselves were well organized. After last year's expensive debacle, I'd look for something more grassroots and less corporate and overproduced.

Whoever organizes it, I hope they do a better job in inviting others to help them as was done in the first year's SegwayFest. A single thread like this with a dozen or two responses, while a good start, hardly reflects the needs or wants of thousands of potential interested participants.

KSagal
01-18-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm good for the small town thing. Like taking over a small town on cape cod, or cape anywhere for that matter.

I like the casual rather than the formal, and the night life can be made by the fest participants, as long as there is a bar or restaurant willing to go along...

Karl Ian Sagal

Stan671
01-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Anywhere within 6-8 hours driving time from my house in New Jersey.

Flying with the Segway HT is a major hassle and expense and puts the Segway at great risk. Flying without the Segway and renting one at the fest is a major expense. Therefore flying to the fest is not an ideal solution. Driving or car/van pooling to a closer fest seems reasonable.

Cheaper or a choice of hotels for any budget.

Probably does not matter as long as the weather is not too hot or cold and chance of rain is minimized.

In order to get max value and flexability, be on my own. One organized meal with everyone together would be good.

Some group glides planned.

Hands-on touch and feel demonstrations. Let's see in the gearbox and motors. Let people assemble a Segway. Segway owners showing off modded machines and describing how it was done. Offer some mods for people to do themselves at fest. Repair/maintenance demonstrations.

This is tricky because I would want to commit early, but would be hesitant because I would not want to loose too much money if plans changed and could not attend. Many people just cannot plan too far in advance because of financial and/or scheduling difficulties.

Scavenger hunt was great fun. Segway Jeopardy was great. Agility games were great fun. A few seminars are good, but not so many that I have to make a tough choice about which one to miss because two good ones are going at the same time.

Hands-on touch and feel demonstrations. Let's see in the gearbox and motors. Let people assemble a Segway. Centaur rides. Show off new poducts.

I don't understand the question. Do you mean contribute organizational help and input with the design and planning of the event, or provide volunteers, or lend it's name to the event, or just contribute money?

Honestly, I am not crazy about the one big event in a central location idea. No matter where the event is held, 3/4 of the people who really want to go will have a hard time getting there. Most of the feedback I got from the last two fests were that perhaps it is time for several smaller events spread around the country. This way so many people are not locked out of attending because it is too far or too expensive. The amenities of the location don't do much for me. It is the people and the activites that mean the most. As well as the convenience of getting there with MY Segway and not spending a ton of money for the weekend. Of course, a Segway friendly government is required so that we don't get in trouble. Segway friendly merchants in the area would be good for group glides and meals.

Stan Dobrowski

florin
01-19-2005, 02:40 AM
I would say go for several smaller events, a few in the US, one in europe, one in asia, etc.

I'm sure LLC knows how many Segways have been solved to a certain country, otherwise SC can probably tell where most of the (outside US) members are located. Based on this info, choose some locations, make a proposal for the program and send it to all the SC members.

When there are enough responses for a certain location, you can go further with organizing the event.

Kind regards,

Florin

Visit http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo if you want to stay up-to-date on the situation about the Segway HT in the Netherlands.
http://www.florin-webdesign.nl/segwayinfo/uploads/cavt41287ea7e3ec0

pam
01-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I think we're confusing the issue. We're talking about SegFEST 2005 here, not about the regional meetings (which I see as more SegAmerica's purview).

Those are two separate things, and I would hope that we might be big enough to do both. I, personally, am more likely to do a major meeting, where I can reunite with friends from around the country, and where I would expect (hope) that Segway would have input, educational seminars, etc. As an example, the whole subtext focus this time on the different forms of "rental" that people are using with the HT I found fascinating at SF04.

However, the regional meetings (which I see as much more informal, group get-togethers, like barbeques or days in allowable parks, etc., I don't see a strong LLC involvement, but do see as a group of people who love a particular technology getting together to share the experience of it.

Pam

X-man
01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Depending on location and my personal itinerary, what I would like to see best at the next Segfest - me.

Bob

woodenapple
01-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree with Pam that the annual SegFest is a different animal than regional meetings. I sincerely hope that both will happen.

The regional meetings will probably never be as big as a nationwide event, but they would be a practical way for more people, scattered across the country, to be able to enjoy an event of some sort. And on years when the national SegFest is in your region, it is easy to attend the big event/gathering.

I hope the annual SegFest can survive and even thrive as regional meetings also start springing up on a more and more frequent basis. I see that happening when local SegAmerica chapters work with the national SegAmerica leadership to organize regional meetings. I am sure that local dealerships would love to help make regional events possible.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

fathertime
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
quote:I think we're confusing the issue. We're talking about SegFEST 2005 here, not about the regional meetings (which I see as more SegAmerica's purview).

Those are two separate things, and I would hope that we might be big enough to do both. I, personally, am more likely to do a major meeting, where I can reunite with friends from around the country, and where I would expect (hope) that Segway would have input, educational seminars, etc. As an example, the whole subtext focus this time on the different forms of "rental" that people are using with the HT I found fascinating at SF04.

However, the regional meetings (which I see as much more informal, group get-togethers, like barbeques or days in allowable parks, etc., I don't see a strong LLC involvement, but do see as a group of people who love a particular technology getting together to share the experience of it.

Pam

I agree Pam. We all love getting together with our area Seggers but what makes SegwayFest! so much fun is the Seggers from all over the planet. Additionally there is a huge effort that is made by LLC to be there for us and this is something that can only happen once a year and only in one location. I think that the regionals are a great idea and perhaps the local dealers can partner with SegAmerica to make that happen with local events or promotions that will benefit all of us in a particular area. I know that we here at Segway of Chicago are planning a Special Spring kick-off to our season where we will invite Seggers from all over the Midwest. If we plan properly all of these ideas can happen locally and then culminate in SegwayFest! 2005. We might even promote local team building for the competitions like Segway Polo or the agility contests. Dean has accomplished this with FIRST regionals and then he has the National for the final blowout!
Once again please share your thoughts with us so that we can plan ahead and many thanks for those of you who have already responded. Your opinions will not fall on deaf ears![^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P]

JR

L.I. Glider
01-19-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd prefer eastern half of the US, as that would be within reasonable driving distance for me. However, since most will fly, a city that's a hub for an airline would help keep airfares reasonable.

I'd really rather not fly. Flying with your HT is not easy. Well made cases are expensive, taking it in anything else is a risk. Renting HT's at the Fest is very expensive. For me, driving seems the best option, even if it adds a couple of days to the weekend.

Driving after flying may get you out of an overpriced city, but seems like a real hassle; now I've got to rent a car that can fit the Segway and the bulky case I have it in.

Either one works for me. While less expensive is better, I liked the amenities at the Hyatt in FL. The spa was wonderful and the hot tub was the size of most backyard pools. It turned the conference into a vacation.

Doesn't matter.

Meals on our own, except for a main banquet.

Group glides are good, but if none are planned, will occur spontaneously.

Loved the past seminars. New ones along those lines would be great.

Yes.

A mix of activities is good, but I'd rather not have to choose one event over another. Schedule them sequentially, not simultaneously.

If any new products are being released, do it at Fest. You can't ask for a better audience.

Would you like to see SEG America step up to the plate with a contribution?
I'm not sure what kind of contribution you have in mind. But I think SEG America and the local SEGs should play a big role in Fest. Chances are the organizers will not live in the city selected; the local SEG may be able to assist with the planning, running around, etc.

I'd prefer the former.

Other comments:
What I'd really like to see is alternating national and regional events; i.e.: even years for national, odd years for regional. If people want to participate every year, they could. If they only wanted to go to the large, national conference, they'd have 2 years to save up for it. If they preferred a more casual, shorter duration event, they could just go one of the regional events (I'm thinking 3 or 4 regional a year: northeast, south, central, west coast.)

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

pecorcoran
01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Do you want it in a central location? I think it should be in a densely populated urban environment.

Do you want easy airline access? Yes--with tips about travel. I think the idea should be to not only gather as Segway enthusiasts and to introduce by example the Segway to a large city population, but to expand Segway users concept of mobility with their Segways...in other words, this is how you travel with your Segway, this is how you deal with the airlines, the hotels, etc.

Are you willing to fly and drive? yes.

Do you want a first class hotel or a cheaper venue. both.

Do you a want to have it in the Summer or Fall? summer

Do you want all of the amenities like breakfasts, lunches, dinners or would you prefer to get all that on your own? option to do both.

Do you want more group glides or to be left on your own? option to do both

Do you want seminars like the ones we've been producing or something different? don't know what you have done in the past ( I am new owner)

yes--possibly 3 or 6 mths in advance

both

usability seminars--such as this is how most Americans spend their day...this is the possibility with a Segway....this is is the positive impact on your wallet and the earth. Like the map function on segway.com but more realistic, more examples of usage

Would you like to see Seg America step up to the plate with a contribution? don't know

If we held SegwayFest! 2005 in a small centrally located town with waterfront access, miles of gliding paths, a Seg friendly government, decent weather (in the Summer), and merchant participation welcoming all gliders, inexpensive hotels, and informal meals would this be preferable to a trendy convention area in fine year-round weather with more expensive hotels, better meals, an indifferent local government, but lots more night life. yes. it sounds fun.

KSagal
01-19-2005, 11:19 PM
I'd like to chime in on the comments about the Regional events being different from the National Event. Just like car shows, as an example, both work well, and cater to different needs.

I am just using the above as an example, but it works. I would not expect the same from the two different venues.

One comment, however, does not seem quite on for me. A regional event, in my opinion, may very well have great attendence, and may have more people than a national event. The reason for this is that a seg dense area of the country, with a well publicized event, may draw many people because of it's accessability and inexpensiveness.

A national event, because of the great size of our country, and the great costs to transverse it, would draw many, but would always be limited at some point.

I have not forgotten our international friends, and I have several, unfortunately, none of my personal friends own a segway, but many would like to, and others that may be reading here, but they would have even greater transportation difficulties, so as nice as it would be for us to host a hugh number of them, I fear that the international attendies are likely to be a small minority for a while. As seg populations change around the world, this may change...

I would like to see both, a national venue, most likely a bit more expensive, better represented by Segway LLC, and with a tight schedule, and also regional events, more casual, less expensive. These regional events could even be a bit longer, at a popular destination, so that they would better appeal to drivers who may not want to drive 10 or more hours for a two day event, or who may want to attend for a few days while then going on to vacation with the family or some such thing...

I could easily see a north-east regional thing, in a small villiage, driveable from the Boston-New York-Philly corridor, but in a small venue, somewhere anyplace from Cape May to Cape Cod. It could be a week long event, casual and open to people driving in for a few days then going on, or comming in for a few days of seg festing, then having the rest of the family joining in for the normal family vacation thing, etc...

This would be different from the national fest, similiar to the last Florida event, which I cannot imagine being planned or excecuted any better than I witnessed last October. I think that a top shelf event like that would be very well recieved, as long as there is an alternative for those who do not wish or do not have the time or money to invest...

The problem, as I see it, is the difficulty in being all things to all people. Diversity is the answer here.

These are my current feelings on this issue.

Karl Ian Sagal

Burke
01-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Don't have time to answer all right now, but am fascinated by Jim's hinting at a centrally located place with waterfront, etc. Sounds perfect, and he must have somewhere specific in mind. I know group meals are horribly expensive, so on-your-own for most of them sounds good as long as there are some fast-food type joints or coffee shops handy to use.

Seminars in the past have been superb; nothing compares to having the LLC folks there to talk to us.

Personally I'd vote for Las Vegas--must be good air deals for east coast folks, and we in the west can drive. Summer would be way too hot, though.

Here's an idea. There are now several west coast dealers. Many of us have, or will have by then, rental or tour fleets. I imagine most will have a truck to haul them in. What if we all agreed to haul in as many Segways as we could, and we agreed to rent them to attendees (or at least to attendees who are already owners) at a really decent price, on some sort of pre-arranged pool basis? I can totally understand folks not wanting to fly with their Segways, and it's a shame to have to pay an arm and a leg to rent one on site. Oh well, just a thought. Could work if it was in Vegas, or other dealers might be able to step up if it was anywhere near their area.

Janice

hbyerly
01-22-2005, 12:38 AM
How about a deep (DEEP) discount on shipping cases for registered attendees who want to fly in with their Segs?

pam
01-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Well, I'll be traveling with my Rubbermaid Action Packer. It worked fine for Chicago. Just need someone stronger than me to put the wheels back on - but there's always been someone there to help!
Pam

skeet1111
02-03-2005, 04:40 PM
There are several threads that bring up good points as to location. I particularly liked the one suggesting Las Vegas and dealers welling to bring Segs to the event for those that don't want to pack and fly theirs to the event. It doesn't have to be Las Vegas, but I'd be more likely to be attend the event if (1) I could drive with my Segway in my car or (2)Have one available to use during the event.

Unless this type of thing happens or the events are always rotated yearly to different parts of the U.S. I think there will be a lot of people like myself that would like to attend, but won't because of the extra expense and possible damage to their Segway by transporting them on the airlines.

Ken

snksegway
02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Since we're still relatively new to all of this. I was wondering approx. how many people attend Segfest. Since the east coast was mentioned and possibly a waterfront venue, may have a possible place just south of Atlantic City, NJ, Wildwood - have brand new convention center and depending on the time of year, have a fantastic boardwalk, awesome beach. Depending on the numbers, could check with the powers to be. I'm not sure what the capacity of the center is. If anyone has info or would like contact numbers, etc. feel free to email us at segway@mail.com

leaderc
02-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Doesn't really matter to me. Airfare is relatively cheap, I'd say a location where there would be good meeting space and good glides.

Yes.

Yes.

Cheaper, you really don't spend much time in your room anyway.

Either as long as the weather is good, guess it would depend on the exact location like others have said.

Group meals could be fun if there are speakers (DK maybe :) ), but ala carte otherwise is fine.

Group glides!

A mix of anything that is useful and informative.

Yes.

Mix of both, going should be fun!

Maybe unique accessories not usually sold by LLC for Segfest attendees?

terryp
02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
While we thoroughly enjoyed SegFest 2003, it was a hassle getting the HT there. If it hadn't been part of a longer vacation in the Chicago area, we probably would have decided against attending. We chose not to last year mostly due to the high cost of rentals.

I agree with Rich - it should be the west coast's turn this year. The Seattle area would be great, but we'll attend if it's within a day or so drive. (If it is in the Seattle area, my wife and I will help with anything we can.)

As far as the venue is concerned, we don't need anything fancy, and don't mind finding our own meals. Anything to keep costs down. A few useful seminars, some games, lots of group glides, and we'll be happy.

Segway - What's holding you up?

SegwayUtah
02-11-2005, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by terryp

The Seattle area would be great, but we'll attend if it's within a day or so drive. (If it is in the Seattle area, my wife and I will help with anything we can.)

Terry: we're having a SegwayFest in Sacramento this year in late April/early May. MapQuest says it's about a 11.5 hour (750 mile) drive for you, straight along I-5 from Seattle to Sacramento.

It would be awesome to have a SegwayFest in Seattle next year. If you have a desire to help organize it in conjunction with assistance from the national SEG America board, shoot me an e-mail!

Chris

cmonkey
03-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Now that Segway has officially announced the new batteries, I'd love to see a raffle of a set of the new batteries and maybe an offboard charger. Or, for those are planning to get the batteries but can't readily get to a dealer, get their segs upgraded at the fest.

I love my magic carpet!