PDA

View Full Version : "Edited by - pam ..."

W9GFO
01-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Over the past few months I have become more aware of posts being edited. I have seen posts deleted because they were about "antics". Posts have been edited for spelling, for example "Segue" was changed to "Segway". Some guy from India had his post edited for some reason (?).

So my feedback is, if it is deemed necessary to edit someone's post, I feel it would be the courteous thing to do to include a short explanation of what was edited in the edited post. Such as "URL deleted" or whatever.

I get an uneasy feeling everytime I see that a post has been edited with no explanation.

Rich H

The Un-Official Segway Battery FAQ
http://www.spinfoot.com/SegwayBatteryFAQ.html

pam
01-02-2005, 05:32 PM
When a post is edited, I send an email to the person through their forum email address rather than post it on the list. The other forum members do not need to know if or what rule has been violated - it's between SC and the poster. The only time a poster is not notified is if their email address is not valid in their profile. Usually the poster is unaware that he's (so few of us women <sigh>) done something that needs to be edited - he wouldn't have done it if he were. The majority of our forum members are happy to live by the forum rules.

I communicate frequently with SC members through their forum email address, and often it has nothing to do with a change of a post. Sometimes it's to offer a suggestion or help in some form. No need to be concerned, Rich.

Pam

macgeek
01-02-2005, 05:34 PM
I disagree on that one,
I have been edited, and sometimes deleted without any email what so ever.

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

pam
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Jonathan, you were either notified or the rule involved was well known -
I will say that IF a member continues to push the rules, at some point I figure they know what is going on and cease to contact them.

Oh, there is a time when I don't notify a poster - which would be when when I move a topic into the appropriate topic forum. At that time the "edited by pam" message comes up when all I've done is move the topic, haven't changed the topic at all. That might be some of what Rich is seeing, also.

Pam

macgeek
01-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Ahh, SO the amended statement is, If the Moderator thinks you know the rules, then they do not contact you and explain, they just delete.

Umm... NOT.

sorry pam.
Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

pam
01-02-2005, 06:11 PM
We can discuss the specifics to this offlist if you'd like.
No need to be sorry. The few times that something like that has happened to you it was right on top of the rules being explained to you or to someone else involved in another thread in which you were involved. Or, you were being sent emails behind the scene by a third party which discussed the situation (and I was aware of those emails.)So, YES. And I'm not sorry, Jonathan. That's the way it runs.

Pam

W9GFO
01-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Ok, well notifying the poster is good but what about all of us that read it?
quote:The other forum members do not need to know if or what rule has been violated
We know if a rule has been violated because we see the "Edited by - pam". What benefit is there to keep the reason for the edit secret? When I see a post edited with no explanation given I figure one of two things happened Either the poster included a link or picture to something sensitive or, someone has decided to make some "improvements".

Since I know that posts have been edited for such things as spelling errors (is there a rule against that?) I can't help but wonder if all edits are truly justified.
quote:- which would be when when I move a topic into the appropriate topic forum. At that time the "edited by pam" message comes up when all I've done is move the topic, haven't changed the topic at all. That might be some of what Rich is seeing, also.
It used to be that "moved to ...." was included in the edit remark. That is fine and appreciated. Just a simple comment for the reason of the edit is all I'm looking for. Without it it feels more like censorship than editing.

Rich H

pam
01-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Gads, I can't remember when a post was edited for a spelling error - oh, maybe 2 years ago someone edited a subject line (I seem to remember Brooster doing it to someone once, but I could be wrong), but I don't think I did. I certainly don't make it a habit to edit spelling errors. If people don't care how their spelling looks, I don't care.

The gentleman from India (let's see, 5 posts with questions on batteries?) I contacted directly and moved his posts into the proper forum. I did not edit his posts in any way, other than to move them.

Rich, if it will make you happier, I will include a "moved to proper forum" message when I move a topic (although the other moderators have never explained a move - one of them even moved a thread I started once without notifying me <G>).

However, I see no reason to explain (or ask permission for, even after the fact) every action I take as a moderator on this board to the board members at large, when I DO explain it to the individual involved (unless I don't have an email address, or unless it is something that they should well know - like now I've written the no URL, no Photo message about 4 times today in various threads - and this follows two LONG threads on this very subject or related to this subject in the last 2 weeks. I'm about to stop notifying people....)

Pam

macgeek
01-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, Pam.. Since you have admitted to reading emails sent from one user to another (which has been suspected)

quote: you were being sent emails behind the scene by a third party which discussed the situation (and I was aware of those emails.)

Then you know the emails were being sent TO ME not FROM ME
so you now, are judge and jury too, as well as moderator.

I suppose if someone emailed me some nazi propaganda, then I am also a nazi supporter.

Its a sad day when censorship runs the world.

But at itsi's request (you read that email, didn't you?)
I have stopped posting any segway Info I recieve.

And well, have decreased in my post here overall as well.
I hope you are happy with that result.

Jonathan

P:S: Im amazed you haven't put me back in moderated hell yet.

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

pam
01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Jonathan, I said we will discuss this off-list. You obviously have no idea about what I'm talking about, because I don't know what you're talking about. The only email I actually read was sent to me by the person involved. This is obviously a personal problem between us and belongs in personal email.
Pam

macgeek
01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Im not saying another thing.

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Proud Segway NY member
www.segwaynyny.com

W9GFO
01-02-2005, 08:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by pam

Rich, if it will make you happier, I will include a "moved to proper forum" message when I move a topic

Didn't you used to include that mesaage when moving topics? I just know I've seen it before. I guess I got used to seeing that and now I just see a lot of edits.

As far as the Indian battery question guy, only one of his posts were edited. All his others were in the proper forum. A "moved to proper forum" message would have made it very clear that his post was moved and not actually "edited".

I just think that when a moderator takes action on something that someone else has written, that reason should be stated. Else we all can see that a moderator has exercised his/her power without knowing why.

Ok, I don't think I can say anything more, and just for the record I don't remember ever having had one of my posts edited by a mod.

What is this moderated hell that macgeek speaks of? [}:)]

Rich H

pam
01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't remember including a message re: moving. There used to be a big thing on the board because people wanted a note posted in the same forum stating that the original post had been moved to another forum. That was changed over a year ago. At that time we were moving a lot of things to the buy and sell forum. A post in the original forum was just the equivalent of 2 posts, one still advertising in the wrong forum. Now it just gets moved.

Yes, the Indian gentleman had a post in the HT discussion forum I moved into either science and technology or off topic, as I recall. He basically asked the same or a similar question in all the threads about batteries. I emailed him offlist suggesting he go back in and introduce himself and explain what he was asking for (I thought it might make it easier to understand what he was asking, since it was all over my head). I also asked where he lived in India - mentioned I'd lived there a couple of years ago.

I'm afraid we will have to continue to disagree on the edits. I feel strongly that as long as I have notified the original poster, nothing else is necessary.

Re: Moderated hell - you don't want to know <G>.

Pam