PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Umbrella -- Segway accessory?

SegwayUtah
12-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I guess we'll have to see if it's "cool" or not to wear one, but there is a new "shoulder umbrella" available in Japan.

About $24 (plus a bunch to import it), it looks like it could be used very nicely with an HT -- although I'm not sure if it would help much when "moving" -- just when standing.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?fl20040725x2.htm

Chris

woodenapple
12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
The flexible handle for the umbrella is a very clever idea. One of those ideas that is so obvious you wonder why no one made something like this before. It reminds me of the flexible flashlights that are now available.

Hey! (light bulb over head) I could wrap a flexible flashlight around my control shaft and use it as a headlight! I find it very hard to steer my segway when I glide in the rain at night while holding my umbrella in one hand and my flashlight in the other hand. :)

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

GadgetmanKen
12-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Oh, I see, it wraps around your arm or shoulder like a snake light. I couldn't figure out how it was rigid, from the description given. I thought it had a handle that had two opposite side pivoting handles that when unfolded makes a T-handle and tucks under the arm between the back and shoulder to hold it up. You know like, one part of the handle extends behind the arm and the other side extends behind the same side shoulder blade. I'm not to sure that wouldn't work either.

quote:
Hey! (light bulb over head) I could wrap a flexible flashlight around my control shaft and use it as a headlight! I find it very hard to steer my segway when I glide in the rain at night while holding my umbrella in one hand and my flashlight in the other hand. :)

Hmmm....light bulb over head
Hmmm....rain....
Hmmm....umbrella

Ah HA...A Lighted Umbrella...Dooh! Already been done!!!!
Just funnin with ya :)

Ya know, its amazing to me, how often through television and speaking to people that many people have instantaneous ideas all at once. Even sometimes a little different variations of them. I have joined my local chapter of an inventors group and find it stimulating and helpful.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

Jackier
12-10-2004, 02:49 AM
A friend sent me a head umbrella from the stupid store.

http://www.stupid.com/stat/UMBR.html

I actually tried it, but found low hanging tree branches & the slightest wind quite painful! Yea, ok, the stupid store sez it all!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING: WOW.... WHAT A RIDE (or glide)!!!"

Murray Fisher
12-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I bought two at a yard sale a couple years ago at a campgrouond for a dollar each. Of course it blew off everytime I speeded up beyond a walk or if a breeze came up! Actually I lost one while in a boat and it wouldn't float long enough for me to go back and get it! However if I went at walking speed and a light drizzle came up, it worked fine with no wind. Actually, I have one of those small umbrella's in my Seg handlebar carrier that pops both in and out at the press of a button on the handle. I just kind of let it settle down over my head pretty good and hold it with my right hand. That works pretty fair in an emergency, but gets tiring for very long. Also I made an aluminum hollow tube clamped to the Control Shaft and dropped a larger umbrella made for a folding chair, into it. That worked fine too, but was a hassle to set up each time.

quote:Originally posted by Jackier

A friend sent me a head umbrella from the stupid store.

http://www.stupid.com/stat/UMBR.html

I actually tried it, but found low hanging tree branches & the slightest wind quite painful! Yea, ok, the stupid store sez it all!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING: WOW.... WHAT A RIDE (or glide)!!!"

Murray Fisher