PDA

View Full Version : Is Your SEG Covered by your Homeowner's Insurance?

Wallace
11-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Important Information on Insurance Coverage for Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices – EPAMD – SEGWAY HT’s

I ordered my new SEGWAY HT. It should be here next week. As previously mentioned, the Authorized Segway Dealer Price is $3,200.00 with no state sales tax because it is purchased with a physician’s prescription.

I checked with my Home and Automobile Insurance agency – Farmer’s Insurance of Texas – to see whether I needed to Schedule the mobility device for additional coverage. He said, “NO, You have $300,000 Personal Liability and $5000/incident Medical."

If lost due to fire or theft you have Full Replacement Value subject to a $500.00 deductible. I asked if it was covered if I put it in my station wagon and drove to work or on vacation and had an accident. “YES, you are covered under your homeowners policy.” I asked if I was covered if I use the device in my job at the office? “YES, your homeowner’s policy covers you there also.”

Farmer’s does not usually cover such “scooters, motorized devices, etc.” on homeowners policies EXCEPT When Used as an Assistive device by a person with a Mobility Handicap.

POLICY WORDING: “PROPERTY NOT COVERED. We do not cover: (3) motor or engine propelled vehicles or machines designed for movement on land, including attached machinery or equipment. HOWEVER, we do cover such vehicles which are not subject to registration and are: a. devices or equipment for assisting the handicapped.”

On another page, the exact wording of the Farmer’s EXCLUSION reads, ”Coverage C, (Personal Liability) and Coverage D (Medical Payments to Others) do not apply to: ‘(f) bodily injury or property damage arising out of the ownership, maintenance, operation, use, loading or unloading of: (1) motor or engine propelled vehicles designed for movement on land, including attached machinery or equipment.”

“HOWEVER, this exclusion does not apply to: (1) motor vehicles which are not subject to registration and are:
(a) used for assisting the handicapped.” Farmer’s Insurance Document # 94-0294 2nd Edition 2-22 WO294206

I spoke with Jerry Kerr of DRAFT about this homeowner coverage and he said it was new to him and he was going to check with his insurance company.

ZoliHonig
11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
I am on Homeowners insurance for 46 dollars a year!!

500 dollar deductible.

Srry, I don't know the name of the provider

[8]-Zoli[8]

Segway City
11-22-2004, 10:52 PM
State Farm, who was second only to Progressive in offering EPAMD-specific coverage, has also reclassified their homeowners coverage of Segways as a motor vehicle. They have changed definitions, and renewals now include endorsement FE-5452, which limits coverage for new, as well as renewal EPAMD policy holders. Emphasis added in some places, other original:

"Now included in the definition (under Section II) are personal assistive mobility devices (under "recreational vehicle"), locomotives, and specified heavy equipment. Recreational vehicles, locomotives and specified heavy equipment are included in the definition whether owned or leased by an insured. These items are not covered for liability away from an insured location."

Changed definition:

"The definition of a motor vehicle is replaced by the following:

Motor vehicle, when used in Section II of the policy means:

a. a land motor vehicle designed for travel on public roads or subject to motor vehicle registration;

b. a trailer or semi-trailer designed for travel on public roads or subject to motor vehicle registration;

c. a "recreational vehicle" while off an insured location. "Recreational vehicle" means a motorized vehicle designed for recreation principally off public roads that is owned or leased by an insured. This includes, but is not limited to, a motorized all terrain vehicle, amphibious vehicle, dune buggy, go-cart, golf cart, snowmobile, trailbike, mini-bike and personal assistive mobility device;

d. a "locomotive" while off an insured location. "Locomotive" means a self-propelled vehicle for pulling or pushing freight or passenger cars on tracks that is large enough to carry a person and is owned or leased by an insured;

e. a bulldozer, track loader, backhoe, high-hoe, trencher, grader, crane, self-propelled scraper, excavator, pipe-layer, cherry picker, telehandler, logging vehicle, mining vehicle or road building vehicle that is owned or leased by an insured while off an insured location;

f. any vehicle while being towed or pushed or carried on a vehicle included in a., b., c., d., or e.;

g. the following are not motor vehicles:
(1) a motororized land vehicle in dead storage on an insured location;
(2) a boat, camp, home, or utility trailer not being towed or pushed or carried on a vehicle included in a., b., c., d., or e.;
(3) a motorized golf cart while being used for golf purposes;
(4) a motorized vehicle or trailer designed to assist the handicapped that is not designed for travel on public roads or subject to motor vehicle regisration;

h. "leased" does not include temporary rental.
So much for State Farm's coverage, I'm switching to Progressive for specific personal coverage.