PDA

View Full Version : Putting seats on Segways!

SK Northwest
11-12-2004, 11:35 PM
I am with one of the newest Segway HT dealerships. We just opened here in Portland OR (check out our article in the Oregonian for 11/12/2004). I have a customer who wishes to buy a Segway, but he suffers from neuralgia, a complication of diabetes. So, unfortunately he can't stand for long periods and his back is bad...I have seen Segways with seats on them and was hoping that someone could point out how or who could help make that possible for my customer? He could really benefit from this device if only he could sit on it! Please help if you have any ideas! Thanks and keep on gliding!
Luke

pam
11-13-2004, 04:12 PM
I know Leonard Timm has one (sitseg) - he may respond, or you might check his profile in Members and send him a note.
Pam

SegwayUtah
11-13-2004, 04:34 PM
There was a company at SegwayFest! 2004 selling a production seat system for the HT. I got a chance to ride on it, and it was interesting. It's the same one that Leonard is now using.

Chris

Segway City
11-13-2004, 04:35 PM
As a dealer, you may have a liability issue if you suggest they use a seat or other "unapproved" device as it will alter the factory riding specs. All seating devices impact the rider's ability to transfer weight rearward to stop.

Send them here and we'll tell him, though!

Short barstools work well and are cheap, but have to be short so that standing to stop is fluid and swift.

pam
11-13-2004, 09:49 PM
I think that the vendor at SegFest was Mel Mellinger or Offngo- Here's an early thread where he was showing his carrier
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7047
you can use it to send him a message. As I recall, he did the new seat for Leonard.
Pam

macgeek
11-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Pam, seats not a carrier (but its a cool carrier!!)

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Centaur - "Lets Roll on all fours"
www.segwaygeek.com

macgeek
11-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh wait, you are talking about seats, My bad!!

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Centaur - "Lets Roll on all fours"
www.segwaygeek.com

pam
11-14-2004, 06:15 PM
That's alright. I just didn't have a thread in mind where he was talking about the seats he showed at SF2004.
Pam

SegwayBill
11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
The Segway is an amazing machine, 99% of the time it is perfectly safe. On rare occasions you must be able to step off quickly. If you are seated there is not enough time to react.

Bill

SK Northwest
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi everyone!
Thanks very much for your responses! I'm following up with your suggestions. Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Luke