PDA

View Full Version : Help!

ajl
11-03-2004, 10:56 PM
I am in need of answers about using a Segway in the case where I have emphysema (I am on supplemental O2) and have a 1/4 mile walk from the parking garage to work every day and back to the parking garage at the close of business. There are stairs of five steps down on the way to work and the same five steps up on the way back to the garage.

When I walk this distance, my O2 drops to 85% (per the pulse oximeter that I bought with a prescription) and I sometimes have to stop and let my O2 level get back up to 94% before continuing to the office. Anyway, who knows about a situation similar to this or something of a situation that could be close to the same needs?

These machines have the potential to be the perfect answer for me but I am hesitant to spend $2,500 (per Sam's Club), or thereabouts, on one of them without some degree of comfort about the Segway's performance. For example, how dependable and/or reliable is a Segway for this many $$$$$$$$$$ and in this kind of service? How would the Segway handle the stair steps? Will it be able to go up/down the steps with me on board or would I need to walk it up and down the steps by assisting it on the side? I am a rookie and need some help.

Like I said in the subject matter - Help!

ajl

Segway City
11-04-2004, 05:30 AM
ajl: my wife has a terminal heart condition with symptoms nearly identical to yours. She's not on O2 yet, as she currently recovers pretty quick from "Smurfing up" as we call it after 30-45 seconds of rest. She's good for about 50-75 feet before requiring rest.

On her Segway, my wife easily glides 6 miles or more at a time. When was the last time you went for a walk in the park? An HT will give you back your freedom from the tyranny of the safe, known route that becomes your daily routine. Impulse or last minute visits to stores or family return as a real option. Like you just got 10 years given back to you.

A Segway will not climb steps, nor can you ride down them. It does have a power assist mode to assist in going up or down stairs, but you still need to manhandle it up and down the stairs. Easily done with a little practice, especially with only 5 steps.

I think you'll find it opens doors closed long ago for you, and if it didn't after trying it, resale value is excellent.

Good luck!

Goldstreak
11-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Ajl:I also have emphysema (on 2.5 02).I purchased my i model over a year ago. I feel so blessed that it has come in my lifetime.It has given me back my life. I tell anyone that I would not hesitate to pay double the amount for the freedom I now have. I'm able to go shopping, attend event,so far anywhere you can walk you can go. The stairs are not a big deal, just a slite inconvenience.I feel lucky to have a liquid Heloise unit that gives about 6hrs of air. So much easier than the bottle, much more freedom.The Segway is truley the greatest thing to regaining independance & also mental attitudes.

Never to old for a Happy Childhood

hick
12-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Dear ajl,
I was born with a congential heart condition and I am limited to the distance I can walk. My O2 level, at rest is about 75%. I have had this condition,(transposition of the great vessels), since birth, my body has learned to adjust at that level. It is only when I am physically active (walking), does my O2 level dip down into the 50s. I am always blue or "Smurfy". The Segway has allowed me (and my husband) to experience things we could have only dreamed of. Instead of him pushing me in a wheelchair when we go to the mall, the park, sporting events, or you name it, I am able to ride along side him, with my head held high. Because it does not climb stairs, my husband uses the power assit mode to help him go up stairs when faced with that issue. My only complaint about the Segway is that it weighs 70 pounds (I own a P series) so, I am still dependent upon someone to lift it into and out of the car. I can not say enough about the miracle the Segway has given me. To give back the joy the Segway has given to me and my husband, we have started a foundation to raise money to provide Segways to young adults or college aged people, so they may experince high school or college as a normal student. I missed out on so much while growing up with my condition. During high school, I had to leave each class 5 minutes early just to make it to my next class on time. So, I rarely got to "walk" with my friends between classes to catch up on the daily gossip as so many teenage girls love to do. And while searching for a college, I was very restricted as to where I could go. Forget the big university for me. The Segway is worth it's weight in gold. I would definitely take a test run to make sure this is the right device for you. I was able to go to a dealer and test it before I purchased it. If I were you I would not wait another minute because it could change your life forever.

Paula

Stan671
12-01-2004, 01:31 PM
ajl, the Segway certainly would help you with the traveling on regular surfaces part of your journey. But the Segway cannot travel up or down the stairs with a rider on it. No way. The Segway does have a power assist mode when it can use it's motors to help it climb the stairs while you are off of it.

I am afraid, though, that since the stairs are your hardest workout, you will have to do more work on the stairs to help get the machine up them also. Going down the stairs is probably not a problem.

As an alternative, perhaps there is a way for you to ride the Segway a longer way around to the garage that does not use the stairs. Since you have a limited walking distance now, you have not looked at longer alternatives - but with the Segway, you can effortlessly cover a greater distance.

The other consideration is what will you do the the Segway once you get to the car? Will you be able to lift into into the car?

As for reliabilty and strenth, there is nothing that can beat the Segway in terms of quality and ruggedness.

Also, I am pretty sure the Sam's Club sale is finished.

Stan Dobrowski

macgeek
12-01-2004, 04:08 PM
they now sell ramps, lifts, etc to easily get your segway into your car. with no lifting

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Centaur - "Lets Roll on all fours"
www.segwaygeek.com

fredkap
12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
ajl

If I am correct, you live near Houston. Contact Segway HT America the locally owned Segway store in Houston. They are located at 2801 Post Oak, Suite 400,Houston TX 77056 Phone: 800-349-2361 (or 713-SEGWAY-HT). They are an excellant organization and there are some dealer incentives that allow them to have some flexibility with the price currently. All of the dealers have a take a Segway home and try it offer going right now.

Good luck! Also log onto the DRAFT website which is specifically for the mobility impaired that are using Segways as their mobility device.

Fred