PDA

View Full Version : Are Segways for Seniors

ajl
11-03-2004, 10:10 AM
My hubby is 65 years young and has COPD. He uses oxygen and has difficulty walking distances. He's to proud to use a scooter for mobility. He is interested in the Segway. We saw them in a Sam's sale ad. He is fit other than the breathing problems. Anyone in this age group who can give us feedback would be appreciated. I see only young folks using these in their video. We are in Texas. We have lots of questions about how fast they start up when you lean forward, questions about balancing on them etc. Thanks in advance.
E-mail us if you prefer, but we will check back here frequently.
Linda

QuadSquad
11-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Hi Linda,
well, I think your husband is a perfect candidate for an HT.

If you think they're only for young folks checkout www.DRAFT.cc
although we like the image of the young folks using them, they can make a spectacular difference in the quality of life for the rest of us.

We've got tons of people using them that have COPD, and it will probably take your husband all of five minutes to figure out how to use one. I would however recommend the I series versus the P. series particularly around your ranch. With the I, he can go virtually anywhere and if you add some of Zorba's tires, he can go anywhere.

TedS
11-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Linda,
This is a good forum to ask questions about the Segway.

I just turned 63, so I'm not quite there. My wife and I both enjoy our HTs and we have the I models. Sam's is selling the smaller P model. There have been reported gliders into their 80s and older.

The Segway starts as fast or as gently as you want it to start. With a slight lean of your body, the Segway will just creep along. The slugs here in Oregon could outrun it.

Ted

You won't find anything if you are not looking for something.

SegwayUtah
11-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Linda,

The HT moves so fluidly. If you "fall forward," it moves in a kind of perfect sync with your body. It will even "push back gently" for a moment before moving for safety, etc.

I know a number of elderly and disabled persons with Segway HTs. It can make a huge difference in quality of life for persons with limited mobility. If he's a candidate for safe operation, it could be a great thing.

I would also echo that you really want an i-series, not the p-series. The i170 is so pretty. Check it out.

Chris

Brooster
11-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Linda, you should definitely look into it. And definitely do look into DRAFT. You might want to try and contact our member X-man by e-mail. He's not on oxygen, but is a similar age and has some difficulty walking long distances. The Seg has been a great thing for him.

Brooster

Hauptagon
11-04-2004, 01:43 AM
While I can't speak from a position of life experience, I would like to add that you might at least want to look into the p-series. It's only limitation is it's decreased size, which also results in slightly less speed and range, but depending on how it will be used, the p-series might be just the thing.

If the only topographical limitation on a ranch is dirt and dust, than I don't see why the p-series wouldn't be just fine. From what others have said on this forum, the p-series is more capable off-road than the company gives it credit for.

-Justin

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

ElectraGlide
11-04-2004, 10:27 AM
I've been a "p" model owner since they were first available...and I've owned several , and have also owned a "i" series. If there are plans to be riding on grass, dirt , or terrain other than smooth concrete or asphalt I suggest you go for the "i" series.
I would not recommend any Segway to someone that has trouble standing for any period of time , or someone that has problems with balance or lower body strength.

Steve

Zorba9
11-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi Linda,
My 83yr old father has been on his P daily since I got it for him last X-mas. He has extreme mobility issues and his Segway has really given him a new lease on life! The smaller size of the P is really handy for him as the platform is lower to the ground and easier to mount. The narrower profile and less weight(over the I model) make it more handy for him to move it around and get it into his van on the ramp he made. It has really made a difference for him in the last year.

KOG

Zorba9.....

MagiMike
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
AJL - Linda
I am a senior and have used and loved a segway for just over a year. I also live in Texas, in the Houston area. If you and your husband are in East Texas, I'd be pleased to visit the two of you and let you try the Segway for yourself and you could ask any questions you have.

Mike in Houston TX.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_1.gif

Deviant
11-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Wow - the definition of senior seems to get younger to me each year! We have some members of this board who have around 80 years of life experience, and enjoy their HT gliding.

(edit: accidentally posted before finishing)

Lohja
11-05-2004, 01:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by ajl

My hubby is 65 years young and has COPD. He uses oxygen and has difficulty walking distances. He's to proud to use a scooter for mobility. He is interested in the Segway. We saw them in a Sam's sale ad. He is fit other than the breathing problems. Anyone in this age group who can give us feedback would be appreciated. I see only young folks using these in their video. We are in Texas. We have lots of questions about how fast they start up when you lean forward, questions about balancing on them etc. Thanks in advance.
E-mail us if you prefer, but we will check back here frequently.
Linda

I'll be 70 next Feb. I have no difficulty riding my "I" series. The "P" is a little smaller and probably easier to handle. As long as he takes it easy and doesn't "hot-dog" he should be OK on either the P or the I. Just be extra careful on rough dirt roads---especially if they have ruts.

USdiver
11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Many folks jumped in with their enthuastic support for the HT but...you might want to slow down a minute. You didn't say why you needed the HT. If it's for mobility around places you travel or trips to town then maybe. You have COPD but what else??? For example a person with Rhomberg's (balance problem) would not be suitable. Also if I wanted to get something to use around the farm (and since people seem to be steering you to the "I" series) for ~$5000 I'd get an ATV or one of the beefy 4 wheelers. You can carry all the O2 you need plus ranch items and your wife as well.
I've got an HT and love it. I bought mine because I had the money and wanted a toy. But I can't see it as much of farm equipment.
Just another viewpoint...for what it's worth. Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

fredkap
11-08-2004, 12:10 PM
USdiver - You state that the HT is not suitable for a person with a balance problem, that is completely wrong. One of our users is a young lady that has had a lifelong neurological problem which has resulted in no sense of balance. The HT does the balancing for her. On her Seg she appears to be like any other college student and relishes that she no longer is seen as handicapped. For her, using a handicapped placard when she is in a store or having to prove that she has a qualified disability is bittersweet as she has longed her entire life to not have the stigma of being disabled.

Fred

wheels
11-08-2004, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap

USdiver - You state that the HT is not suitable for a person with a balance problem, that is completely wrong. One of our users is a young lady that has had a lifelong neurological problem which has resulted in no sense of balance. The HT does the balancing for her. On her Seg she appears to be like any other college student and relishes that she no longer is seen as handicapped. For her, using a handicapped placard when she is in a store or having to prove that she has a qualified disability is bittersweet as she has longed her entire life to not have the stigma of being disabled.

Fred

No offence to USdiver. Fred, you tell it like it is... I applaud you.

Your credability is 100% with this HT'r.

BTW: I wonder if the upgrade to the software for the new batteries will be possible without changing any other part of the software. I like Version I.

"Life's a wheelie when you're on a Segway"

USdiver
11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
I agree that for someone with COPD the HT is probably an excellent choice but the original replies related to other things like getting around on a farm (which the original poster did not mention. And by the way not everyone in Tx lives on a dirt farm...there are actually some cities there ...I hear) and running around on grass and generally trying to tell them that an "I" rather than the "P" they asked about is what they needed. (Also upping their expenditure by almost double.) No one pointed out that depending on the "key" used to start the HT the top speed and handling characteristics could be modified and "toned" down making the HT easier to handle. Most of the demo videos show someone zipping around. However, as pointed out by others, you can easily creep around on an HT.
As far as the balance issue, I submit if you have a problem, for example, falling backwards, this is not good on an HT. If you have difficulty walking because of a neuro-muscular problems (this includes higher motor functions, spinal issues or muscular compromise), you may have difficulty staying upright but that's not a balance issue. I'm sure that Wheels and Fred must be experts in this area; however, in my defense I'll refer one to the Segway manual which explains that one should be able to climb stairs without holding the handrails before attempting to use the HT. Argue with Segway not ME. Personally, I'd be reluctant to recommend the HT to someone with balance problems involving cerebellar or semicircular canal issues.
And since "X-Man" has invited me to leave....Goodby.