PDA

View Full Version : Segway & Disney Press Release

dave27
09-17-2002, 06:59 PM
This was mentioned in an earlier thread, but the press release has been put up on the Segway site...

http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_releases/pr_091202.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., September 12, 2002 - Disney Cruise Line ships are the first locations in the world where guests can ride and experience the Segway ™ Human Transporter (HT).

This innovative short-distance transportation technology can be experienced firsthand by guests, ages 16 and older, aboard the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder cruise ships, as well as at Disney's private Bahamian island, Castaway Cay.

Available on each day of Disney's three-, four- and seven-night cruise vacations, guests receive a brief introduction on how to operate the Segway HT before maneuvering it around a specially designed agility course at Disney's Wide World of Sports Deck onboard or dockside at Castaway Cay.

At other times, the Segway HT is used by the ship's captain and officers to efficiently travel across the 964-foot-long ships, each featuring 11 passenger decks of theaters, age-specific areas and unique dining locations.

-dave

Casey
09-17-2002, 07:10 PM
Sure adds another fun factor to a cruise. I have never been on a cruise, so I wonder if there are ramps between decks, or it you have to take Segway on the elevator. Either way would be a great way to get around the ship. Of course you wouldn't get any exercise that way.

Frank

Seeker
09-17-2002, 07:28 PM
This seems like a good use for Segways ! Just wondering though, I know this wouldn't apply much to a cruise ship, because although it rides on moving waters it's fairly stable, but how would a Segway work if ridden on a surface which itself was moving a lot ?

Doesn't the Segway's ability to keep you balanced, rely on the surface you are riding on, not moving significantly ?

Again, on a cruise ship, I don't think this would be a factor, because although I've never ridden on one, I'm assuming that the fact that they're so large makes the ride pretty smooth.

Seeker

Casey
09-17-2002, 07:34 PM
quote:but how would a Segway work if ridden on a surface which itself was moving a lot ?

Seems to me it would shine under those conditions. At least unless the rider started swaying around causing it to wander all over the place trying to keep up with the rider's movements. On this same subject I've always wondered about a dizzy or drunk driver causing the same problem.

Frank

Dreamer
09-18-2002, 10:21 AM
I wonder if Disney World will be the next testbed for the Segway.

Traveling quickly from one section of the park to another is currently limited to water taxis or the monorail, and a wait in a long line. I can see where 'Segway stands' and one-way rentals to different areas of the park would be economically feasible, and it would save a lot of wear on the tired old feet.

don c.
09-18-2002, 10:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

quote:but how would a Segway work if ridden on a surface which itself was moving a lot ?

Seems to me it would shine under those conditions. At least unless the rider started swaying around causing it to wander all over the place trying to keep up with the rider's movements. On this same subject I've always wondered about a dizzy or drunk driver causing the same problem.

Frank

Maybe they can be used to prevent seasickness.. :D

Seeker
09-18-2002, 11:11 AM
quote:

Can't you just see Sean Connery, as a U-boat captain, booting around on one of those things ? I can hear him in my minds eye, talking with his thick Scottish accent ....."I love to Seg, mates!"

Seeker

p.s. By the way, if you used DS to make some sort of dynamically stabilized platform or floor, would you need to use proportionally the same amount of hardware( per unit area), that the Segway uses to keep its platform stabilized, or could you get away with less than that amount per unit area ?

don c.
09-18-2002, 12:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seeker

quote:

Can't you just see Sean Connery, as a U-boat captain, booting around on one of those things ? I can hear him in my minds eye, talking with his thick Scottish accent ....."I love to Seg, mates!"

Seeker

p.s. By the way, if you used DS to make some sort of dynamically stabilized platform or floor, would you need to use proportionally the same amount of hardware( per unit area), that the Segway uses to keep its platform stabilized, or could you get away with less than that amount per unit area ?

Since I'll assume you don't want to move the platform, just keep it stable, you don't need the rider input controls for steering or acceleration. You don't need most of the processing power to number-crunch these inputs with the gyro inputs. Also don't need the wheels, electric motors, motor controls, batteries, or power controls (we'll run it off the ship's 110v). What you're left with is really just 2 MEMs gyros to determine tilt, and some hydraulic or electric actuators to counter the ship's leaning. Probably wouldn't be practical to control an entire deck, but an individual cabin floorspace or even just a bunk should work ("insert quarter here to minimize rolling").

zeppo123
09-18-2002, 12:43 PM
"IT floats"

majic
09-18-2002, 12:55 PM
"magic flippers"

Seeker
09-18-2002, 01:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by zeppo123

"IT floats"

Wasn't there a movie called 'Hope Floats' ...a while back ?

Therefore if 'It floats' and 'Hope floats'...IT=Hope

...Hope for the sick in stomach !!

Seeker

KaDMaN
09-18-2002, 01:24 PM
quote:
Wasn't there a movie called 'Hope Floats' ...a while back ?

Therefore if 'It floats' and 'Hope floats'...IT=Hope

...Hope for the sick in stomach !!

Seeker

I'll let ya'll know if mine floats after lunch....pft..

[:p]