PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for when getting a pre-owned Segway

momo
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Hello All,

I've come upon an opportunity to own a Ginger of my own. The thing is though it'll be a used one. From what the owner has described his HT was bought within the first quarter of 2004. So what should I know or look out for when I see the actual item itself? Based on currect auction prices, the offered price is quite attractive but I think I can haggle a bit more. I hope you kind folk can help me.

momo

macgeek
10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Momo,
beware of ebay 'deals'
make sure you can COME PICK THE UNIT UP
(offer cash as a insentive)

and make sure you can pay by paypal, do not, I repeat DO NOT pay by western union

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
Centaur - "Lets Roll on all fours"
www.segwaygeek.com

Segway City
10-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Look for wheel wobbles, batteries that don't go into charge mode in 20 minutes, put the CS all the way up & down and operate both ways, broken (not simply scarred) fenders, listen for gearbox whine and inspect tips of grips & trim to indicate severe falls. If you suspect a busted wheel, be sure the deal you're getting is good enough to cover a replacement. Don't be too concerned about low battery range, as you can be sure they'll need conditioning exercises by the new owner to bring back their quality. You'll also want all the original paperwork, manuals, tape, extra keys, boxes, etc. Finally, be sure your bill of sale indicates the previous owner's desire to transfer the remaining warranty to you, then send a copy of it to LLC to register you as the new owner.

Good luck!

momo
10-13-2004, 02:28 AM
macgeek,

No problem there I saw the add in the newspaper a few months back and have been haggling with the owner since then. When the price I want is nearly met I'll do an on site examination on the HT itself. Hehehe... that's why I'm asking for advice.

segway city,

thank's for the tip concerning the warranty. would a transfered warranty be shortened by LLC?

Segway City
10-13-2004, 01:42 PM
The warranty provided to the original buyer can be reassigned, but not lengthened. If you buy it and transfer the remaining warranty in the 11th month of its 12 month warranty, only the 12th month will be left under factory warranty. Only the balance of the original warranty is transferrable. See LLC's site for specifics on warranty transfers.