PDA

View Full Version : SEGWAY FEST! 2004

Matt
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
I know I am posting on the wrong page, but I wanted to rub it in to the widest audience.[^]

Here is a shot from my room. http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/DSCN1861.JPG

All the pre-planning is going great. So far, the only not events folks I have met are the Neelixes and the Segway Board. Everyone here says HI! Should be great weather.

Still room and time if you want to come down!!!!!

GyroGo
10-07-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm looking at a parking lot right now.

All the best wishes on the success of SegFest, wish I was there.

Gary

wwhopper
10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Anyone taking bets on how many Seggers will end up gliding into the pool?

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

mzokc
10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Looks spectacular! We can use that photo as a nice background on the PC. Enjoy the great weather and all the fun!

Mark

statmed
10-07-2004, 11:12 PM
The facility here is beautiful, the rooms are nice but the greatest thing is seeing dozens of Segways throughout the area.

I've already met some New York friends, and made some new friends. It's great putting the face to the username.

But you gotta see all the Segways running around this place.

One day it will be like this everywhere.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

GyroGo
10-08-2004, 05:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Only if the LLC ever gets its SHT together, and accepts the idea that we're not their salespeople and that the world isn't going to beat a path to their door. I remember feeling the same exhilaration at SegFest last year, but 2004 has been a huge disappointment.

hmmm, perhaps I shouldn't give a damn how you express yourself, Broo, if anyone has earned the right to vocalize their opinion, it certainly is you. You, perhaps more than anyone, have devoted yourself to the ambassadorship of this product. But, frankly, your bitterness and negativity gives me the impression that you are the new groovy and it's getting a bit old and your ambassadorship is becoming tarnished. Most of us have caught on already that LLC has not done a great job marketing, but we don't all agree on what could have been improved, and the clearest course from here. Anyway, I wouldn't assume to have all the current information that they have inside the company (though many past mistakes are easy to spot, especially having dealt directly with marketing). I have a list of things I MIGHT do differently, but I'd want to be an insider before I was so presumptuous.

It is far from clear that LLC “expects us to be their salespeople” as an important part of their marketing strategy; perhaps you could share evidence to the contrary. Perhaps controlled product adoption was a consideration, but I think the technogeeks (geniuses and all) at LLC were just too anal about figuring out the science of who to target and how, rather than at least getting some sort of shotgun blast out more aggressively. Sure, a big early failure was waiting too long to commit to dealerships, but certainly the price of the machines is still also a major factor. Yeah, the TV commercial gives me the stick shakes, but I don't get your claim that the process has failed because your consultation was not given more traction. They didn't call me either.

From thread “Ideas for Marketing Slogans”:
http://segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8636

...It's embarrassing to me that it came from Chicago. X-Man and I Segged over and met with this agency, wrote follow-up thank you notes, expressed an interest in getting them involved with the local community, etc., and literally never heard another word.

That tells me two things: First, we're just "owners," and don't see the "big picture." Nevermind the fact that we were on the organizing committee for SegwayFest 2003. Second, it tells me that this agency doesn't share the product knowledge and passion we have for the Seg. I asked the partner of this agency if he'd had much experience with the Seg. "Yeah, they loaned me a p-Series for a while."

It tells me a third thing ... that whomever recommended this agency to the LLC (perhaps some guy who used to work for Harley Davidson?) doesn't have a clue either. I suspect that this incompetence and lack of passion extends up and down the entire new management chain at the LLC, and it gives me zero confidence in this organization going forward....

If you feel bitter that your time has been wasted as an ambassador it's not fair to blame LLC. The time and emotions you committed were voluntary.

I guess my point is: Mistakes? Sure. Bitterness? Let it go.

Maybe you should just stop giving demos and recharge for awhile, I dunno. Sorry if this offends you, but I think it’s about time someone speaks up.

statmed
10-08-2004, 06:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by GyroGo
It is far from clear that LLC “expects us to be their salespeople” as an important part of their marketing strategy; perhaps you could share evidence to the contrary.

It was brought out in the book "Code Name Ginger" that this was the initial marketing strategy.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

Brooster
10-08-2004, 11:40 AM

If you feel bitter that your time has been wasted as an ambassador it's not fair to blame LLC. The time and emotions you committed were voluntary.

Maybe you should just stop giving demos and recharge for awhile, I dunno. Sorry if this offends you, but I think it’s about time someone speaks up.

I can respect your feelings Gary ... no problem at all. I don't feel that any of my time has been "wasted." I've never complained about that. What I've complained about is lack of follow-through from the LLC. Do I think they've let us down, and not held up their end in supporting the success of this technology? Absolutely. Perhaps if you were an owner yourself, you'd feel differently. Maybe not.

As for it being "time someone speaks up," I personally wish more people had the guts to stand up and tell the truth about why this technology is dying on the vine. I put in my days of being a cheerleader for the LLC ... I won't blindly continue to cheerlead for everything they do.

I'll take your comments under advisement. Thanks.

Brooster

wayne
10-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Ok, how many people are there?
More or less than Chicago?
Estimate on how many have their Segs with them?

Wayne

scoghill
10-08-2004, 01:12 PM
There I am reading peacefully about the nice Florida rooms and the weather and how much fun the Segfest is gonna be and then.... BOOM.... over in the corner Gyrogo and Brooster start sparring.

What started this up in this tranquil little thread I was being sedated in????

driley
10-08-2004, 02:25 PM

I can respect your feelings Gary ... no problem at all. I don't feel that any of my time has been "wasted." I've never complained about that. What I've complained about is lack of follow-through from the LLC. Do I think they've let us down, and not held up their end in supporting the success of this technology? Absolutely. Perhaps if you were an owner yourself, you'd feel differently. Maybe not.

As for it being "time someone speaks up," I personally wish more people had the guts to stand up and tell the truth about why this technology is dying on the vine. I put in my days of being a cheerleader for the LLC ... I won't blindly continue to cheerlead for everything they do.

Brooster

Broo,
Being a lurker and occasional poster here for some time, I will say the following. First, I recognize you as a long time valued member of this board. Second, I tend to skip over most of your recent posts. I've got the message and I'm sure Segway has got the message. How much more Segway LLC bashing is needed? It is getting old IMO.

What will be will be.

Devin

macgeek
10-08-2004, 07:18 PM
Broo,
Give em hell, fella!

I think LLC needs to feed and water the apostles,

Forget the loaves and fish,
How about new batteries and Segway Jackets?

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
www.segwaygeek.com

mzokc
10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Let's face it. Gliding on a Segway HT is advertisement even if you never chat with anyone.

During the first couple of years since the Good Morning America introduction I wondered if the HT would ever be sold to the general public. One great reason for SEGWAYFEST is the ability for owners to personally thank Dean Kamen and the Segway LLC engineers and staff for the amazing transportation product that we are enjoying. The daily questions do get tiring at times, but the same thing happened when I was a ride operator at Disneyland in California for 10 years. imagine, we own one of the greatest "rides" in the world. No wonder we are asked so many questions!

Mark

pam
10-09-2004, 06:50 AM
I agree with Mark. In some ways we're all (as well as the HT itself) somewhat ahead of our time - definitely ahead of the curve. I do think this particular form of transportation is going to make it - but I think, like PT used to say all the time, it's a marathon, not a sprint. We can only guess at what is going on behind the scenes, but I do think this company is growing and adapting. The form it takes (advertising, no advertising, vendors, sales, aftermarket products, etc.) might not be the form any one of us individually might take, if we were in charge, but it's making it's own way. They make a consistently fine product (aren't you glad it's not built like the 'q'?), they have integrity and vision. I'm really glad to be a part of this company's early years.

GyroGo
10-09-2004, 08:18 AM

No, thank YOU!

The following is for the benefit of the logic of the thread, not intended to continue the "sparring" (as scoghill puts it):

quote:Originally posted by statmed

It is far from clear that LLC “expects us to be their salespeople” as an important part of their marketing strategy; perhaps you could share evidence to the contrary.

It was brought out in the book "Code Name Ginger" that this was the initial marketing strategy.

I don't recall exactly what the book said. Whose quote was it and was it actual company policy? However, it would then have to be determined how accurate and current those thoughts are within the organization. There are different interpretations of what it means to be an "ambassador" ("salesperson"?).

I'd have to agree with Pam and Mark, though, that anyone even riding a Seg in front of others who have never been exposed to one before is acting as an ambassador in some form. I just can't imagine that anyone expects Brooster's level of involvement when they think of early adopters as ambassadors.

quote:Originally posted by scoghill

What started this up in this tranquil little thread I was being sedated in????

It seems disjointed because Broo deleted his original post (fully within his rights).

Sorry for the interruption. Please resume sedation. :D

Brooster
10-11-2004, 04:19 AM
So ... am I allowed to ask if Ron Bills and Company said anything meaningful at SegwayFest 2004? Surely there must have been some worthwhile information in the keynote address.

Funny how no one's said a word ...

Brooster

beckpm
10-11-2004, 06:07 AM

So ... am I allowed to ask if Ron Bills and Company said anything meaningful at SegwayFest 2004? Surely there must have been some worthwhile information in the keynote address.

Funny how no one's said a word ...

Brooster

Brooster,
Not during the keynote, but during the product development panel I heard the following:
1. The new batteries will be lithium Ion and an announcement on the capability, price, and availability will happen before Xmas.
2. They will still sell the other batteries.
3. A software upgrade will be needed for the new batteries, but the offboard charger will not need modification or software.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

GyroGo
10-11-2004, 07:36 AM
So the keynote on the future of Segway had no new or meaningful information?

beckpm
10-11-2004, 07:40 AM

So the keynote on the future of Segway had no new or meaningful information?

I did not hear anything new. By the way, little biting nats were attacking everyone. It is possible I missed something while swatting them away, but I don't think so.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

SegwayUtah
10-11-2004, 08:02 AM

Broo,

The keynote was, well, not really a keynote. I was really looking forward to hearing the scheduled 75 minute keynote speech by Segway LLC President and CEO Ron Bills. But what ended up happening was that Innoventions introduced him and then he spoke for, like, ten minutes. He was very kind, thanking different people and recapping what has gone on this last year.

But the whole "the future of Segway LLC" was basically completely missing, as was the other hour of his keynote :) I was actually pretty disappointed, although that may also be because I endured the little invisibile bugs for over an hour to hang around and hear him speak ;)

I do understand that some cool information came out during the product development session -- and of course that something really cool is coming on Segway.com and in Popular Science today or tomorrow.

(BTW, Segway Jeopardy was pretty fun--and the show's host had programmed his Segway HT "specially" to play the Jeopardy theme song when he pressed the mode button while standing on it).

Chris

Chris

macgeek
10-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Thats a Hoot!

Ringers for your segway!

:)

Jonathan

Segway - "Let's Roll"
www.segwaygeek.com

Brian
10-14-2004, 01:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by wwhopper

Anyone taking bets on how many Seggers will end up gliding into the pool?

LOL
You wouldn't believe it, but I "electromechanically-shorted" a "p" from riding it in the pool. There was a beach type entrance into the pool and we went in and tool pictures. About 10 minutes later, I started getting many safety shutdowns until it wouldn't start. So it was finished. We took it back and they opened everything up to let it dry. Thank goodness the next day it turned back on!!! I am sure a lot of people remember that one. :)
-Brian

pam
10-14-2004, 03:12 PM
I wondered who had gone in the pool! &lt;G&gt; You were the topic of several conversations - or at least the Segway was. Glad to hear it all worked when the unit dried out.

Reminds me of the directions to wash our keyboards in the dishwasher, but to be sure to let them dry out completely before we try to plug them in again.

Pam

Burke
10-14-2004, 05:08 PM
My understanding is that the Segway is very well sealed against puddles, etc., and it was reasonable to expect it could handle a couple inches in the wading end of the pool. For the benefit of anyone who thinks the shutdown was normal, it might be good to mention that Brian's p series was from a rental fleet. As it was explained to me, the shutdown happened because the batteries, which are frequently swapped out, did not have all of their screws and seals present.

Glad to hear it restarted when it dried out; hadn't heard that update.

Janice

Segman61
10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Gentlemen,

They pretty much covered everything at the dealership meeting. Even the specs on the new batteries and when they'll be out. They even rolled out the Centaur! And let me tell you everyones jaw dropped. Then the next day we all got to ride it. All I have to say is SSSSWWWEEEETTTTT! Doug Fields said "if the segway was a helicopter the Centaur would be the Harrier! One coooooool ride!

I am SEGMAN!

Brian
10-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Yeah, the P that I had did have altered batteries conectors. The guy put just 2 screws on the 2 out side holes instead of all 4, so water got in.

Brian

Stan671
10-15-2004, 10:32 PM
I discovered that zero-entry pool on Sunday evening when Karl and I were riding around late in the evening. I love riding through puddles and this type of pool was VERY inviting.

I did a bunch of arcs through the shallow end, deep and fast enough to make the water wave come over the front of the machine and get my shoes wet. My Segway HT (and the under carriage blue florescent lights) were not bothered a bit.

Stan Dobrowski