PDA

View Full Version : Therapeutic Benefits of Passive Standing

Wallace
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
There have been reports of comments made to SEGWAY HT Gliders that the use of such a device is somehow "unhealthy" in the long run. While doing research for a Grant Proposal to the National Institute for Disabilities Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR)I came across this bit of information sent by Stand-N-Go http://members.aol.com/scsweb/private/stdgo.htm

It would indicate that the mere act of standing several times a day offsets the real detriments of a "sitting only" lifestyle. The reduction in circulatory system problems, loss of bone calcium, muscle tone and cardiac function may be counteracted by the simple act of standing up, mounting a SEGWAY and GLIDING.

THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS Of PASSIVE STANDING

-~~~
Passive standing has demonstrated effects on many physiological and psychological functions of the body. This report is a review of the pertinent literature dealing with passive standing and its effects on:
1. Bone demineralization and heterotopic calcification
2. Urinary calculi and bladder function
3. Cardiovascular and pulmonary systems
4. Joint range of motion and muscular tone
5. Morale and ability to perform daily tasks

Perhaps the greatest effect of passive standing is seen in the musculoskeletal system. It has repeatedly been shown that immobilization and disuse of large masses, of muscle and bone produces abnormal losses of bone calcium reduced bone density and hypercalciuria.(2,3,6.7,9,14,16,18)

Claus-Wa1ker et al (5) showed a 46% increase in calciuria following only three days of bed rest in normal men. Donaldson et al (8) found an approximately 83% increase after two weeks. Heany (15), Kaplan et a1 (18). and Abramson (2) demonstrated a link between hypercalciuria and bone loss in immobilized patients. Hypercalciuria and bone density loss have also been associated with soft-tissue ossifications, pathological fractures, and urinary system calcu1i.(2,9)

One of the best studies which showed the effects of passive standing on hypercalcluria was performed by IsseKutz et al.(16) IsseKutz performed several experimental procedures on 14 healthy young men. These experiments involved various periods of bed rest combined with a variety of other activities and exercise. His results showed that 4 hours per- day of supine exercises did not reduce the urinary calcium which was pervious1y elevated by complete bed rest.

Quiet sitting for 8 hours per- day also had no effect on urinary levels of calcium. However, 3 hours per day of quiet standing proved to be sufficient to induce a. slow decline of the elevated calcium excretion in 4 of the 5 subjects. Also included in this s1udy was an investigation of the effects of compressive axial loading on 2 subjects during a, 3 week period of complete bed rest. Axial pressures, equal to the subjects' body weights, were administered daily for 3 hour's.

In one of the subjects the level of urinary calcium declined significantly while in the other- subject, no effect was seen. This evidence has been supported by the results of an axia1 compression and weight bearing exercise program which NASA initiated following discovery of abnormal losses of calcium and reduced bone densities during the Gemini spaceflights (14) Their program of axial loading reduced the rate of bone loss in later spaceflights.(4)

Kaplan et al (1S) studied the effects of at least 20 minutes of daily standing on urinary calcium levels of 10 patients with spinal cord injuries. He found that passive standing significantly decreased hypercalciuria in his 10 subjects.

These results agreed with his earlier work involving hypercalciuria and ambulation in -the patient with paraplegia..(17) Gitman et a,l. (12) showed that 72% of their aged patients who showed osteoporosis were ambulating, however -there was a four fold greater incidence of radiologically severe osteoporosis in bedridden patients.

As mentioned previously, hypercalciuria, which can be a result of decreased weight bearing, is associated with an increased risk of developing urinary calculi and infection which can lead 10 progressive deterioration of renal function if the infection ascends. The incidence of urinary calculi in spinal cord injured patient$ ranges from approximately 30% to over 50%.(7,9) Of these approximately 25% are associated with the kidney and 75% with the bladder. Freeman and others (9,7,2) feel the major disorder in the paraplegic which predisposes him to urinary calculi is the abnormally high withdrawal of calcium from the bones and its excretion in the urine. Freeman's laboratory, analysis of the calculi removed from these patients uniformly

showed calcium and phosphorus as the principle constituents. He feels that early weight bearing reduces the incidence of calculi to such a degree that the presence of a calculus can be taken as an indication of failure to bear weight. This feeling is also shared by Abramson who compared ambulating to nonambulating paraplegics and found significantly lower rates of urinary calculi in, the ambulators.(2)

Aside from the effect on hypercalciuria, passive standing has been shown to increase bladder pressure (13) which can help train the automatic bladder and help decrease the residual volume in the hypotonic bladder.(20)

A significant problem for patients with spinal cord injuries is that of insufficient orthostatic circulatory regulation. Due "to "the loss of sympathetic vascular "tone, the skeletal muscle pump, and a decrease in plasma volume, patients with spinal cord injuries have problems maintaining blood pressure and cardiac output.(10,19) This becomes a. significant problem particularly when cardiac output is insufficient to maintain minimal oxygen requirements for the vita l organs. Although the reason is not fully understood, it is well accepted that repeated and progressive standing can lead to cardiovascular system adaptation producing functional circulation.(19,10.23)

Passive standing has recently been shown to produce significant decreases in muscular tone in patients with spasticity.(21) Following 30 minutes of standing with the feet in a dorsiflexed position, there was a 30% decrease in resistance to passive stretch as compared to only a 17% reduction produced by a similar stretch administered in the supine position. A follow-up study of paraparetic patients who continued passive standing after discharge showed that, without access to regular physical therapy, they were able to maintain adequate range of motion in the hip, knee, and ankle and keep muscular tone at a relatively low level.(22)

Since many tasks of daily living, particularly kitchen tasks, are best performed in the standing position, the use of a portable standing aid can greatly increase the functional status and morale of a person who is otherwise unable to stand.(4) In addition, standing provides pressure relief to skin areas at risk for developing ulceration since most paraplegics spend the majority of their time with pressure on their sacrum and ischial tuberosities.

As one can see, passive standing had been shown to produce several beneficial physiological effects which include:

1. Reduction of bone calcium loss
2. Reduction of hypercalciuria and urinary calculi
3. Muscular tone reduction and maintenance of range of motion
4. Improved orthostatic circulatory regulation
5. Increase bladder pressure

Even without considering these physiological benefits, the cost of passive standing can be justified when one considers the increased independence, productivity, and morale that can be provided by such a device.

~
-~~~
1. Abramson, A.S., Delagi B.F.: Influence of weight bearing and muscle contraction on disuse osteoporosis. Arch Phys Med Rehab 42: 147-151,1961

2. Abramson A.S.: Bone disturbances in injuries to the spinal cord and cauda equina. (paraplegia). J Bone Joint Surg 30A: 982-997, 1948

3. Albright F., Keifenstein E.C.: The parathyroid glands and metabolic bone disease. S e 1 e c t e d S tudies , Williams 8-. WilKins, Baltimore, 1948

4. Birge S.J.. Whedon G.D.: Bone. In hypodynamics and hypogravics: Physiology of inactivity &. weightlessness. Academic Press, New York, 1968

5. Claus-Walker J., Campos R.J., Ca.rter RE., Vallbona C., Uscomb H.S.: Calcium excretion in quadriplegia.. Arch Phys Med Rehab ~3: 14-20, 1972

.6. Cla.us-Walker J., CarieI R.E., Campos R.J., Spencer W.A.: Sitting, muscular
exercises, and collagen metabolism in tetraplegia.. Am J Phys Med 58: 285-293, 1979

7. Com.rr A.&:E: A long-term survey of the incidence of renal calculosis in paraplegia. J Urology 74: 447-452, 1955

8. Donaldson C.L., Hulley S.B., Vogel J.M., Hattner R.S., Buyers J.H., Mc:Millian D.B Effects of prolonged bed rest on bone mineral. Metabolism 19: 1071-1084, 1970

9. Freeman L.W.: The metabolism of calcium in patients with spinal cord injuries. Annals Surgery 129: 177-184, 1949

10. Figoni 8.F.: Cardiovascular and haemodynamic: responses to tilting and 'to standing in teraplegic patients: A review. Paraplegia 22: 99-109, 19:34

11. Geiser M.. Trueta. J.: Muscle action, bone rarefaction and bone formation. J Bone Jt Surg 40: 282-311, 1958

12. Gitman L.. Kamhol12 T., Levin@ J.: Osteoporosis in the aged: Radiographic survey with clinical and biochemical correlations. J Gerontal 13: 43, 1958

13. Gould D. W., Hsieh A.C., Tincller L.F.: The effect of posture on bladder pressure. J Physiol129: 448-453, 1955

14. Hattner R.S., McMillan D.E: Influence of weightlessness upon the skeleton: A review. Aerospace Med 39: 849-855. 1968

15. Heaney R.P.: Radiocalcium metabolism in disuse osteoporosis in man. Am J Med 33t 188-200, 1962

16. IsseKutz B., Blizzard N.C., Rodahl K.: Effects of prolonged bed rest on urinary calcium output. J Applied Physiol 21: 1013-1020, 1966

17. Kaplan P.E.. Gandhavadi E., Richards L., Goldschmidt J.W.: Calcium balance in paraplegic patients: Influence of injury duration and ambulation. Arch Phys Med Rehab 59, 447,1978

18. Kaplan P.E., Roden W., Gilbert g., Richards L., Goldschmidt J.W.: Reduction of hypercalciuria. In tetraplegia. after weight-bearing and strengthening exercises. Paraplegia 19:289-293,1981

19. Krebs M., Ragnarsson K., Tuckman J: Orthostatic vasomotor response in spinal man. Paraplegia 21: 72-80, 1983

20. Machek O. Cohen F.: A new standing table. Am J Occupational Ther 9: 158-160, 1955

21. Odeen I., Knutsson E: Evaluation of the effects of muscle stretch and weight load in patients with spastic palraplegia.. Scand J Rehab Med 13: 117-121, 1981

22. Odeen I.: Efterundersokning av 22 paraplegi-patienter, vardade vid KarolinsKa 5ju~hu5ets neurologiska rehabiliteringsKlinik, 1966-1967. Sjukgymnasten, Iieb i 970

23. Ragnarsson K. T., Krebs M., Naftchi N.g., Demeny M., Sell G.H., Lowman E.W., Tuckman J.: Head-up tilt effect on glomerular filtration rate, renal plasma.flow, and mean arterial pressure in spinal man. Arch Phys Med Rehab 62: 306-310, 19B1

macgeek
10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Thats bloody amazing!

Thank you for posting it

Jonathan

www.segwaygeek.com

Sunday
10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
I concur:)

Mark

Escape the cage

WillyBill
10-20-2004, 12:10 AM
This is a reply to Walace. "passive standing" I am not sure who you are but your article is fantastic. I have always known about the benifits of being upright vs sitting like in a wheel chair, but all too often the general public is not informed enough to understand the long term benifits of being upright. I am a below the knee amputee and recently I injured my knees and had to spend a year in a wheel chair. My health took a downward fast trip to nowhere. As soon as I was able to get on my feet my health improved right away.
The Segway is the answer to so many peoples issues. Too often people think of diabled as the ones they see in a wheel chair. There are so many more folks out there that need a Segway to bring quality of life back in their lives. The Segway is the answer. I have been very active all my life as an amputee, but recently I injured both of my knees and I now have dificulity walking any distances. With the Segway I can now have the life I am used to.
I intend to make as many people aware of the possibilities of this device as I can. If we can just get people to realize how many people are in the same situation as I am than maybe more people will enjoy a better quality life. It is so important that folks realize the difference between someone that is confined to a wheel chair and someone that just needs help moving about. Your article shows that so many folks can benifit from the use of the Segway.
Thanks for your efforts and work on this wonderful document. I would like to hear from you because I want to make documents like this available to many more folks.

ions82
10-20-2004, 12:46 PM
This article explains one of the biggest reasons I want to get a Segway. I have a spinal cord injury ( of three years) that has left me PARTIALLY paralyzed from the waist down. I have the ability to stand, walk with crutches/cane, etc.... However, the movements required to walk are detrimental to my back and joints. I used to spend a LOT more time on my feet than I do now. I noticed all the benefits that were described in the post. However, the rest of my body just couldn't handle the abuse required to ambulate.
I know there are quite a few members of this board in similar situations. The Segway is the perfect solution! I have plenty of strength to stand for extended periods of time, but I have no balance. I can't wait to get a Seg and start experiencing all the wonderful, indirect benefits of being able to stand for more than just a couple minutes.

Murray Fisher
10-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Loved that article. I have given it to our daughter who is a Special Ed teacher and she also thought it was great.

I have a little addition to make to this subject and admit I am certainly no medical authority by any means....just personal observations. I have a back problem and also arthritic leg and hip problems. I can't walk very far. I accidentaly discoverd that I can ride the Segway for much longer periods of time! In fact when I overdo myself and back hurts and tightens up, I tell my wife I am going for a half hour glide......when I come back, the pains are almost all gone, if not completely! I sure don't know exactly what is happening, but theorize that the Segway has no suspension system except the air the tires and maybe bending your knees a little over bumps. While gliding, each crack in the sidewalk gives a small "jolt" Some are even and some a bit higher on one side giving a slight tilting motion.....this happens hundreds or thousands of times in a glide. I KNOW that in my case this is a kind of therapy, like going to a Therapist. FWIW Dept.

Murray Fisher

FusionMag
10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Hello all.. I am a newbie so please be gentle. Just to give you all some background about myself... I am 26 and a crazy segway fan. I do not have one YET but it is getting to the point of me needing one to just get around locally. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Scleroderma which has led to premature rheumatoid arthritis. I have a hard time walking for long distances and difficulty with anything that is active. do you all think the segway is something i can really benifit from?

God Bless
Albert

trevor
10-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Albert,
Many people with rheumatoid arthritis have reported being able to use the Segway successfully and have testified to what an improvement the Segway has made in their lives.
Take a look at the following web site for some examples:

www.digitalthreads.com/segway

So I would be confident it would be of help to you. Try contacting some of the SegwayChat members near you to see if one of them can give you a demo.

Trevor