PDA

View Full Version : USA Today 2002/09/17- a Business Trip in 2012

baantjer
09-17-2002, 08:59 AM
1) It's 7 am and Jane is late as she arrives at the airport on the high speed monorail
2) Jane checks in at an electronic kiosk, tags het bag and puts it on the conveyor belt. Automation and self-service has replaced skycaps and ticket counter workers
3) A retinal scan speeds her through security
4) Still late, Jane rents a Segway Personal Transporter to get het to the gate half a mile away
5) [Id Check using multi-purpose card (Frequent Flyer, Debit, Id)]
6) [Flying in a Boeing Sonic Cruiser]
7) [Live in-flight TV on back seat TV, Computer Network connection]
8) arrival

1) I am not sure why a monorail is always considered futuristic as dual rail already does fine right now and probably will in the future.
2) Complete automatated check-in is feasible, but for security reasons unlikely
3) Already in use in some airports
4) Not right now, but earlier than 2012, maybe next year?
5) My official id might be used as frequent flyer id, but not the other way around.
6) Boeing currently states 2008 for the Sonic Cruiser to enter service, so 2012 is quite possible
7) Network Connection yes, Back seat screens are in use already, Live TV maybe
8) I hope so

So, except for the Sonic Cruiser we can have this next year in stead of 10 years

ftropea
09-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Oh no, Jane Doe!?

But seriously...

The idea of using Segway-HTs at airports makes sense to me. Actually, they could be rented just like you would rental a luggage cart. Maybe they're parked in a row and you swipe your credit/debit card and "activate" a Segway-HT for a pre-determined period of time. Actually, why not do it like this... Have the Segway-HTs available and have each one fitted with a card reader. You just walk up to an available Segway-HT, swipe your card through and it's activated. It only charges you for the time you're using it. Once you step off, billing can cease... you could reactivate it by swiping your credit card through again. Pay per use... have an option for paying a flat one-time fee if you think you'll need it for more than 1/2 hour, for example.

Sounds like it could work.

- Frank

ftropea
09-17-2002, 10:37 AM
And that would work anywhere you want to provide public transportation. It would work in Vegas, for example. Also, build in technology that automatically disables the Segway-HT if they're removed from a designated area - say off Las Vegas Blvd.

4Seg
09-17-2002, 02:47 PM
A GPS and wireless communications can report exact location. Warning buzzer goes off 50 ft within a "restricted are area" (actually an area outside a given perimeter - imagine an electronic leash we put in our yards for animals, the same would apply here.

As far as the airport, let's extend this a bit. Credit charges would stop not when you step off; but when IT is returned to the rack. This would keep us from having to hire people to go chase and return rougue Segways.

With my software engineer hat on here, how about a browser based tracking Segway system. Include instant messaging (with a small flashing light on Segway) and a person at watching perimeters (A Segway Monitor) could message a person on a Segway some of the following messages: (appears on LCD panel on control bars)

"Please return Segway to gate G-4"

Airlines could have a service to message returning passengers via the Segway:
"Hi Mom, I couldn't make it there to pick you up; but, the limo is outside... enjoy!"

It's all doable with an on-board wireless WinCE device; use .Net and cell phone technology and you have collaboration on wheels.

If we could only be resellers...

Seeker
09-17-2002, 02:54 PM
An added benefit from involving a GPS in the set up, would be that you might be able to use it to catch a crook easily, who ran off with one of the Segways.

Seeker

Seg-wager
09-17-2002, 03:27 PM
quote:Oh no, Jane Doe!?

rofl, I was wondering if that was the ref as well! :D

baantjer
09-17-2002, 03:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seg-wager

quote:Oh no, Jane Doe!?

rofl, I was wondering if that was the ref as well! :D

Yes, it would have been less suspicious if John would have travelled, but this is the name they used.

KaDMaN
09-17-2002, 05:16 PM
quote: "Please return Segway to gate G-4"

Don't stop there.....

What if Segway returned ITSELF to a service rack in that situation....th!nk about it...this is NOT far off..

[?]

4Seg
09-19-2002, 03:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by KaDMaN

quote: "Please return Segway to gate G-4"

Don't stop there.....

What if Segway returned ITSELF to a service rack in that situation....th!nk about it...this is NOT far off..
[?]

AH! Now we're talking. We'll have to add that into the A/A proposal here at Lambert

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies

charmed
09-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Not going to happen. Unmanned autonomous (or secretly remote controlled) Segways would be too big of a security risk in today's airports.

Think about it. Adding GPS and automated operation would make them into a very effective cruise missile. It's hard enough checking humans for explosives.

ftropea
09-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Adding some "automated" features to the Segway-HT one day is, to me, inevitable. I've always looked at the Segway-HT as basically a robot. It's like Rosie's (from the Jetsons) wheels or "feet."

Now, it's a robot you can jump on and ride around... taking you wherever you want to go. However, the balancing function and drive mechanisms are completely computer controlled. The "input" that makes it move is "getting into an unbalanced state." However, from what I read in the patent... it could be configured much in the same way that the Ibot works - you could control it with a joystick or control pad. So if you press the "go forward" button, the Segway-HT could roll back a bit.. lean you forward (changing the balance)... and then immediately roll forward. It seems to be entirely dependent on the control loop... expect for one key difference!

A person standing is trying to balance themselves in relation to the platform which is balancing itself, and the rider, in relation to the ground. The Ibot balances a seated passenger who can't balance themselves.. so it can adjust the tilt/lean of the seat which the person is sitting, doing what the brain and able legs automatically does for able/standing people.

So if you're standing on a Segway-HT and you fit it with a joystick and press forward, it'll go forward using that roll back and roll forward trick (getting you, the "load") to lean forward - however, I'm thinking that if you pull back - not with the joystick, but actually lean back - then the Segway-HT has to roll back or slow down so you don't fall off - or so it doesn't lose balance.

So that control stick could get you moving in either direction, but ultimately it'll depend on what the standing person is doing in terms of "lean" that still controls whether you continue to move forward, or begins to slow down and roll back. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea