PDA

View Full Version : Segway Rental Advising

Segman61
09-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Magic Scooter is now offering a Segway Rental Info packet. Magic Scooter has been in business for over a year and in so doing has given over 15,000 rides to PAYING customers. Needless to say they've worked out a good deal of the bugs plaging first generation Segway Renters. There is a cost associated with the package, but believe me it's WELL worth it. For info. email Matt @ matt@magicscooter.com.

I am SEGMAN!

arod
12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi.. I am a new member and was curious about something. Should anyone know the answer to this question I'd be glad to know...
Why is it that I hear of everyone going to town council meetings to
"get approval" for opening up a Segway rental business?? If the zoning allows for "recreational rentals"(including bicycles, motorscooters and the like), and if the city's rules say that there are "no rules on the books regarding Segways so they are permitted on the bicycle paths and sidewalks currently" would there be any reason for me going in front of the city council to ask permission??
Thanks for any feedback.

Segway City
12-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Better to leave sleeping dogs lie, IMHO.

A well run business will draw customers and create commerce, exactly that which city leaders should desire. Unless there is a regulatory concern that needs addressing, with required insurance, business license and permits in place there is no reason to seek "permission". That said, there is always an element of stiffling conservatism present in any municipality, whether govermental or citizen activist, so one would need to prepare for the eventuality of confrontation. A good track record (which can only happen with an operating concern) is the best defense against claims of operating an attractive nuisance, subjecting the business to regulation and closure. Such as was the case in Seattle, where a poorly operated business nearly caused citywide prohibition. Others take the proactive route to make friends in local government to protect them against the inevitable challenges. Just depends on the location's regulations and level of expectation of challenge.

OpticianJW
12-29-2004, 12:13 AM
First, I would like to tell you about Magic Scooter and it's representatives. I purchased the manual and have found it helpful. I feel it is well worth the cost and the G.M. and owner are extremely knowledgeable and professional.Both are willing to help you long after you receive your manual and they return phone calls and E-mails promptly.
I was impressed with them and would highly recommend purchasing the manual if you want to open a tour business.
Second, Segway LLC. advocates that you speak with the local officials before you open a rental business. I followed their suggestion and their example of the way they approached it at the state and federal level with much success. I found it to be exactly opposite. It seemed to raise a red flag and has been a major problem with officials which have adopting ordinances in towns that I have spoke with. I would not recommend asking permission or demonstrating the product before opening your business. It is a bigger risk though, since you will have to purchase the units without the guarantee that you will be able to run your business. If you need any info of these to subjects E-mail me back.

OpticianJW
12-29-2004, 12:19 AM
two subjects.

GyroGo
12-29-2004, 09:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Segway City

Better to leave sleeping dogs lie, IMHO.

...Unless there is a regulatory concern that needs addressing, with required insurance, business license and permits in place there is no reason to seek "permission". ...

Even if not apparently prohibited by local regulation, on the whole it seems wise to be proactive with positive public relations. Some people may harbor a negative attitude about the Segway out of ignorance, and information will do more to eliminate these concerns and set proper expectations than it will create an issue. Best to set the right tone with public officials by keeping them in the information loop and eliminate misconceptions. Then again, it has to be handled properly. Asking "permission" in a way that raises issues that weren't already expressed may not be as good of an approach as merely informing the governing body of good things coming and handling concerns as they arise.

. : SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) : .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

MagiMike
12-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Prior to investing in a new start up buisness,its nice to know if the local government will close you down with a ban.

Florida Ever-Glides
12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
If all else fails, there's always a manual that will provide the answers, for a price...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com