PDA

View Full Version : Re: Segfest

xseg
09-18-2004, 12:07 AM
I was thinking of attending Segfest. But I was told that there is around 50 people (gliders) going. Could this be true?
Who are the sponsors? I know Segway is, who else?
It seems a little thin?
Let's get some #'s that have signed up!
Sponsors?
Any good giveaways?

How many people went last year?

I live in Florida.

I could not find the poll. :D

Alan

RAG1247
09-18-2004, 01:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by xseg

I was thinking of attending Segfest. But I was told that there is around 50 people (gliders) going. Could this be true?
Who are the sponsors? I know Segway is, who else?
It seems a little thin?
Let's get some #'s that have signed up!
Sponsors?
Any good giveaways?

How many people went last year?

I live in Florida.

I could not find the poll. :D

Alan

if you click on active polls at top page you will see "who is going" etc

last year's was great since it was first and we got to meet who we had been chatting with.

I doubt if anyone who knows will reveal how many have registered even though this has been requested. It is kind of a double edged sword - if a lot have registered more will probably attend - if a low amount then others may decide not to

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you [img=right]http://www.sonyguy.com/rageagle.jpg[/img=right]

Stan671
09-18-2004, 02:29 PM
SEG America will be raffling off a brand new p-Series Segway HT at SegwayFest! 2004. Tickets will be $25 each or five for $100.

Stan Dobrowski

fathertime
09-18-2004, 06:21 PM
We draw attendees from many other places outside of Segway Chat. I know that this is hard to believe but there are many HT owners out there who are not aware of SC but still love their machines. This is like a trip home, a trip back to the back to litter for our far flung HTs.
There are many new dealers out there and the number is growing everyday as well as people who want to learn more about the rental and touring situation.
There are still more folks who have not yet met Dean or his marvelous engineers and the wonderful folks at corporate. This is their chance!
Suffice it to say we have lots more than 50 coming and we will have a good size crowd to rival last years Fest.
I have been in constant contact with the Hyatt and they have assured me that the hotel is in fine shape and that they have had only minor damage to the landscaping from the hurricanes.
This is a beautiful area and, by convention time, it will be a sight for sore eyes.
I have already sensed the ground swell for the convention in the responses we've been getting on the website and in the phone inquires.
Yes, there will be special prizes this year for those folks who are the winners of the competitions and agility trials.
Just ask anyone who was at last year's Fest if they had a good time!
A lot of effort has gone into the planning and preparation for this year's Fest and I can assure you you will not be dissappointed.
[^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P]

JR

RAG1247
09-18-2004, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by fathertime

We draw attendees from many other places outside of Segway Chat. I know that this is hard to believe but there are many HT owners out there who are not aware of SC but still love their machines. This is like a trip home, a trip back to the back to litter for our far flung HTs.
There are many new dealers out there and the number is growing everyday as well as people who want to learn more about the rental and touring situation.
There are still more folks who have not yet met Dean or his marvelous engineers and the wonderful folks at corporate. This is their chance!
Suffice it to say we have lots more than 50 coming and we will have a good size crowd to rival last years Fest.
I have been in constant contact with the Hyatt and they have assured me that the hotel is in fine shape and that they have had only minor damage to the landscaping from the hurricanes.
This is a beautiful area and, by convention time, it will be a sight for sore eyes.
I have already sensed the ground swell for the convention in the responses we've been getting on the website and in the phone inquires.
Yes, there will be special prizes this year for those folks who are the winners of the competitions and agility trials.
Just ask anyone who was at last year's Fest if they had a good time!
A lot of effort has gone into the planning and preparation for this year's Fest and I can assure you you will not be dissappointed.
[^]:D[/:)]:);)[:P]

JR

Jim - just to confirm, DK is coming????

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you [img=right]http://www.sonyguy.com/rageagle.jpg[/img=right]

fathertime
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Yes, DK will definitely be there! We will also get to meet the new members of the Segway team and the Captain of the ship Ron Bills. There will also be many new faces this year from the swelling ranks of the new dealers as well as our favorite engineers from last year.
Segway LLC has again pulled out all of the stops for this event and everyone, who is anyone, will be there! [^]:D[/:)]:);)

JR

xseg
09-18-2004, 11:15 PM
I do not mean to sound rude.
But how many people have paid to attend this?
I know that dealers are coming, they get in free.
I know you are a dealer (congrats!) and you are putting on Segfest.

I quess the reason why I want to know is the dealer council could fill the place up. In this case filling the stands could or cold not be easy.

Fathertime, inviting 100 (let's say) people for free and having me pay for my ticket matters. I'm not alone.

If I give you money that you could make profit on (with enough paid attendees I'm sure)and the bloke next to me is sitting for free I guess I would want to know why I did not get in for free.

I want to know if this is 50 people or so that are the true attendees?

I want to get excited! I want to know that 200 people have paid along with $$$ that I'm going spend to talking to other gliders not someone trying to sell me something. I see the agenda it's great will I be sitting, talking to 10 or 300 paid attendees?

Why should be told because it's our money. You are the one inviting us?

I hope this does not come across rude. I'm very new to this but money is money.

RAG1247
09-19-2004, 07:39 AM
xseg

I sympathize and understand your comments - many have asked how many have registered but it is a deep dark secret - and by the way, i think all attendees, dealers or not pay - after all for them it is a business expense - like I have said b4 it is a double edged sword - if we knew 100 had registered, some might be more inclined to go; if only 40 have registered, one might then decide not to go.

last year everything was new and we wanted to see who we had been chatting with

imo this year is not going to be as successful as last year - this year is more like a vacation and it is expensive - having said that I live about an hour away so will probably go regardless - with main point to meet people I know - I could care less about dancing, and really am not interested in learning about rental operations. I am surprised that DK is not speaking.

imo, seg america should be running segfest and it should not be looked at as a for profit venture but they might be able to do it in a few years

it is my understanding that llc is having a dealer meeting after segfest at the same location

I truly doubt that we will learn anything new this year (which is really the same as last year) or we may be told of future enhancements which will occur "in the very near future" - like the 25.0 bag and golf attachment (can you play golf in the winter?)

it is somehwat hard for me to rationalize someone saying - come it will be great, when that person stands to make a profit based on whether or not I might come.

I can also never understand llc's involvement since they are speaking to the choir - very few participants are going to buy an additional unit (other than crazies like me) becasue they went to segfest.

I truly enjoyed last year's event but it was due to meeting the people and not for any of the "activities"

while I am on my soapbox, I also don't understand the organizers asking for volunteers to help run the event

I also love statements that have been made that the buffet actually costs $100 but they are only charging $60 - I would assume you can eat in the hotel's best restaurant for $60.

Like I said, I will probably go based on the distance involved and pay the registration fee but if I do it will only be to see people that I have met and stayed in touch with - not for any of the events and not because I expect to hear that the new batteries are just around the corner.

well I hope I am wrong and hundreds (not including llc personnel and cousins) of segway enthusiasts attend but I don't think it will happen - the point should be to get together with other enthusiasts and chat

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

xseg
09-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Sir,
I hear what you are saying but it does not make sense.
If I attended last year or that I'm looking at this year I would like to know that we have more paid attendees then last year.

I think you and SegAmerica or whatever company you have is putting this on. I have bee watching this board and I do no see that they have attempted to raise money to have Segfest. Being a retired CFO, this also tells me that someone or persons must have written a check to get this started. This then makes it into a profit or return situation. (my guess)I don't really care to much about how they make money I want the show attendee's #'s.

When I called Segway they did not know the number, when you ask here you or your people can not tell me.

Beleive me I'm not trying to be negative but when one looks at this it makes no sense. I guess befor I give someone up to $200.00 to $500.00 plus dollars I would expect a striaght answer not to be ran around. We all went through that with Segway.

This should not be a secret. I will not give you my money until someone tells me or us the #'s. If they decide not to issue the #'s give us a reason why.

fathertime
09-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Friends... I don't think any of you understand what it takes to put on a convention like this. Everyone, including LLC, and all of their dealerships must pay for admission, or we cannot put on this show. This is not a profit making venture and as was the case last year it actually cost my wife and I quite a tidy sum to make it happen. Putting on the convention is done only for the community of Segway enthusiasts to be able to meet each other and have a place to get some inside knowledge about the machine.
Each year the use of the Segway is changing, and the needs are changing, and LLC is trying to understand how the community uses and adapts their machines as well, and that is why they pay to come. If everyone had the attitude that they are there for nothing, then the convention would really die.
Last year, we met many great people who thought coming to the convention was a great time and a learning event. We got only positive feedback from everyone, and thought this year, there would be a bigger interest. We chose a really great site for it, hoping that we would all be able to appreciate different parts of the country each year while getting together.
Going to any resort is a really expensive thing to do, but the place is beautiful and we think everyone will love it. I don't think that any of you have put on a convention before, the cost is really outrageous! This isn't only in Florida, it's at every convention center. You should call down to the Hyatt and ask them how much it would be to have an lovely buffet dinner by the waterfall. The cost would be $95 per person(minimum), plus a 6% sales tax, plus a 20% service fee on top of that! We think that it is outrageous too, so we are paying the extra $60.70 out of the registration fees to offset it.
A twilight buffet out at poolside, with a waterfall in the background should be a lovely evening though, and we hope that all will enjoy it!
That is just one meal, and there will be many others, like the kickoff breakfast that Dean will speak at, and some nice breaks and drinks and cocktail parties. I'm sorry to say, but the food is a major place that money is spent, but the Hyatt makes it's money that way, and there is nothing we can do to negotiate it!
Just so you know, the dealers are coming for a dealer meeting after the convention. They do not get a free trip there, and they do not get to stay free in the hotels. Segway LLC has contracted with the hotel for that event and it has nothing to do with us. They will have to pay and provide their own services to put on their own meeting. The dealers are welcome to come to SegwayFest to meet and learn, as many are, but they are paying for an admission, just like everyone else. Dean Kamen and his parents are even paying for an admission, just in case you're afraid that you are sitting next to someone who got it FREE!
We do have a great turnout so far, so you are not going to be alone at the convention. Last year, we had a lot of registrations in the last week or two, so it's hard do know what the total amount is, but there are well over the 100 paying attendees that you are all so worried about. I can't believe that whether or not we are making money is an issue to any of you, but let me assure you, my wife and I are NOT making any money on this event. We are just hoping that we do NOT lose our shirts, as we have had to prepay the cost of the convention. OH, to be rich..... We are just a couple of regular people who got excited by an invention, and thought that there were a lot of others like us out there..... We are doing everything that we can in every waking moment to plan a nice time for everyone. It saddens me to see how many of you have thrown a wet blanket on the convention. It saddens me even further to hear you say that our motives are not honorable. We'll be sorry to not see you there, but be assured that we still have the enthusiasm that we started out with, and are not going to be dissuaded from doing a good job and having a great time! [^]:D:);)

JR

Florida Ever-Glides
09-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Jim & Matt,

I was a little skeptical when I first met you guys, but I have grown to have the highest admiration for the effort you have both put forth with Segway Fest 2004. Few, if any would undertake what you have done. One of the best things about this convention is that everyone is going for different reasons and will all come away with having had a great time.

I know that the Hyatt resort will far exceed all of our expectations and will enhance the experience. With so much planned to do, or not if you desire, I'm sure that everyone that attends will be glad they did. Others that do not attend will hear how great it was for a long time.

Those of you who have never attended a 1st class convention have no idea how much fun they are, and that the 'energy' is incredible. I can assure you that NOBODY will be disappointed who attends. Everybody is there celebreating a fantastic technology that someday will change the world, one way or another.

Some look at Segway Fest as a huge expense, I look at it as a huge investment that is 100% certain to payback in many ways.

For serious individuals that are planning on attending my Tour Operators Workshop, I will guarantee that you will walk away having attained more 'real/practical value' than the total cost of the convention. I'm sure that all of the other scheduled programs will be just as beneficial.

Segway Fest 2004 will become a part of the history of the evolution of the Segway HT. What a great thing to be part of.

My hats off to Jim and Matt for undertaking a monumental task for the benefit of all of us...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

statmed
09-19-2004, 03:27 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a paying attendee and looking forward to this event. I couldn't make it last year and when the announcement came this year, I put the date on my calendar right away so I would not miss this years SegFest.

I'm getting more excieted each day!

So I guess we have 99 more to go! ;)

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

GyroGo
09-19-2004, 03:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

...it is somehwat hard for me to rationalize someone saying - come it will be great, when that person stands to make a profit based on whether or not I might come.

I can also never understand llc's involvement since they are speaking to the choir - very few participants are going to buy an additional unit (other than crazies like me) becasue they went to segfest.

I truly enjoyed last year's event but it was due to meeting the people and not for any of the "activities"

while I am on my soapbox, I also don't understand the organizers asking for volunteers to help run the event
quote:Originally posted by fathertime

Friends... I don't think any of you understand what it takes to put on a convention like this.
...This is not a profit making venture

I have no doubt that a significant amount of time and money is invested in hosting this convention, and that it may not be currently profitable. Jim, thank you for that and everyone else involved. I am very glad that someone is doing it. I can see value to Segway LLC and to the Segway community from a number of perspectives. I had a memorable time at last year's Fest and it is with considerable regret that I am unable to attend this year.

However, Richard does have a valid point in that while SegFest may not actually be making a profit, I do not believe I have seen anywhere that Innoventions is set up as a non-profit organization or that there is no plan to ever make a profit, directly or indirectly. The fact is that whatever altruistic motives there may be to host SegFest, as a Segway dealer there is a promotional value with Segway LLC and the general public that accrues to the dealership. I find it very unusual when a business entity asks for "volunteers". It is one thing for those with a financial interest to sponsor and contribute to the effort, but it requires unusual generosity for an individual to "volunteer" to a business. However, this is not intended to disparage the dealership, throw on a "wet blanket", or dissuade any enthusiastic individuals who desire to donate their time. Jim, best of luck to you in your business endeavors.

side note: btw, Richard, you are one of the people I greatly enjoyed meeting last year.

Florida Ever-Glides
09-19-2004, 04:18 PM
The Olympics, which are also not non-profit require many volunteers to make it a success. And, so what if Innovations makes a few bucks at SegwayFest. If you divide any 'left over' money it would probably come out to less than minimum wage. And, what's wrong with getting a little business promotional value, its called good public relations. Most otherwise good business plans fail because of poor public relations...

Please everyone, don't be afraid to volunteer during SegFest. Especially at the events that you would be participating in anyway. It will make the experience that much more rewarding...

Tom Jacobson

GyroGo
09-19-2004, 04:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Florida Ever-Glides

And, what's wrong with getting a little business promotional value, its called good public relations.
Nothing, but let's be honest about what it is.

While I was not aware the Olympics is a for profit enterprise (who owns the Olympics, anyway?), I think the analogy would have to be if a Nike retailer owned the event in order to make the comparison the same.

I do hope SegFest is successful this year and every year, and do not hope to deter anyone from volunteering who wishes to do so.

statmed
09-19-2004, 06:40 PM
This is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

Whoever is behind Segfest and takes the time and has the finances to pull this off "DESERVES" to make a profit.

It takes a whole lot of time to put this together and to deny Jim from making a profit goes beyond what is reasonable.

Also to criticize Jim for asking for volunteers is nonsense. This is SegwayFest, and most fests or festivals I've been to have volunteers. Just go to any music festival such as Kerreville, or Falcon Ridge, or to any of the folk or bluegrass festivals and it is manned by VOLUNTEERS.

This is Jim's project, his baby and his festival. We benefit from the months of hard work he, Matt and Chandra put into this.

As a business owner and operator I find it offensive that anyone would question and/or deny Jim, Matt and whoever else who is involved in this of making their just deserved proft if there is any. They had the @#%%* to put this together, lay out their own money and time to get this going and they deserve whatever profit there is in this. This was still America the last time I looked and this is a part of our free enterprise system.

And if Jim is a Segway dealer it only goes to show his full involvement in this. He wasn't a dealer when he had put on the first SegFest but he is now. Why is that a problem?

Stop whining, buy a ticket and have a good time, or, use in your own time and money and put together your own Segway Festival, convention or what ever you want to call it.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

RAG1247
09-19-2004, 07:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by statmed

This is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

Whoever is behind Segfest and takes the time and has the finances to pull this off "DESERVES" to make a profit.

It takes a whole lot of time to put this together and to deny Jim from making a profit goes beyond what is reasonable.

Also to criticize Jim for asking for volunteers is nonsense. This is SegwayFest, and most fests or festivals I've been to have volunteers. Just go to any music festival such as Kerreville, or Falcon Ridge, or to any of the folk or bluegrass festivals and it is manned by VOLUNTEERS.

This is Jim's project, his baby and his festival. We benefit from the months of hard work he, Matt and Chandra put into this.

As a business owner and operator I find it offensive that anyone would question and/or deny Jim, Matt and whoever else who is involved in this of making their just deserved proft if there is any. They had the @#%%* to put this together, lay out their own money and time to get this going and they deserve whatever profit there is in this. This was still America the last time I looked and this is a part of our free enterprise system.

And if Jim is a Segway dealer it only goes to show his full involvement in this. He wasn't a dealer when he had put on the first SegFest but he is now. Why is that a problem?

Stop whining, buy a ticket and have a good time, or, use in your own time and money and put together your own Segway Festival, convention or what ever you want to call it.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

Jim put a lot of time and effort into last year's and this year's segfest which was and is appreciated. I have no problem with it being his business venture that he has elected to go forward with and I have no problem with his making a profit - and if he doesn't that's business, but this fact should be known from the start - I am sure many of us (including me) have run similar meetings (maybe without as large a financial commitment) and that has been our choice and Jim has made his choice to run this event - I don't think any of these comments are whining, but you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else. The only major highlight of last year's segfest (imo)was meeting the people who are segway enthusiasts, including Jim and Chandra. It was also nice to meet llc personnel. I'm afraid many of those people will not be there this year either because of the cost or because nothing is really new.

The biggest problem remains the low level of segway sales which limits the possible number of attendees

My real thoughts are that segamerica should be operating segfest and other local meetings but I suspect that such an option is years off. The other alternative would be for llc to host the event.

By the way, Falcon Ridge volunteers get free access to the festival, free camping and 3 meals a day!

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

GyroGo
09-19-2004, 08:56 PM
statmed,

I have NO problem with SegFest making a profit or using volunteers. My only point is the continued assertion that SegFest is "not a profit making venture" is clearly not accurate and that there are significant financial interests at stake. While it may not be making a profit, it is not non-profit by design. If I were to volunteer, I would want to be aware of that. Actually, last year I DID volunteer knowing that (although I never heard back a response on my offer).

quote: Originally posted by statmed

Actually, last year the proposal for dealership authorization was already in process with Segway LLC but most people were unaware. Not a problem, but just a fact.

Matt
09-19-2004, 09:42 PM
A couple of points of clarification.
First - up above there was some discussion regarding dealers that get into SegFest for free. The ONLY dealer that is getting if for free is Segway of Chicago (Jim Reynolds). All the other dealers are paying.

What you are confunsing this with is that Segway has decided that the event venue was SOOO Cool that they were going to hold their Dealer Conference and their Annual Board Meeting there as well. The Dealer Conference is after Segfest (10/11-13) and the Board Meeting before (10/6-7). The Dealers get in to the dealer conference for free, not into SegFest.

NOW, Speakers and presenters do get into SegFest for free - want to speak? Still got a couple of slots left. Also, we have two panels - one on Renting Segways and one on Intermodal Transportation. If you feel that you are an expert on either, please let me know and perhaps you can sit on one of the panels. Panel sitting gets you in for free too.

FINALLY, Innoventions Inc. was a company that was set up to run the Segfest conventions. There needs to be a holding company so that the insurance company will talk to you and the resort will talk to you and the lawyers can bill you and the finance company can bill you and the credit card companies can pay you and so on. Innoventions is not a 501c. Therefore, if it makes a profit we all scream for icecream. If it makes a loss, our accountants get to earn their keep.

I also run a 501c (www.andyssummerplayhouse.org). It does not make a profit. However, if it turns a loss, the banks and the state (NH for me) come calling to make sure we are not shilling for some scam. We talked to SegAmerica about running the Fest. They were indeed not set up for it then. Planning started in January '04. (Ask Dean - he was the first person who was asked about the potential of using the location for the Fest (actually Dean and Maureen - got to have legal involved)).

By the by, we already have 4 offers for SegFest '05 (Pasedena, Amelia Island, Dallas, and Bonita Springs (the Hyatt has already asked us back and we haven't even been yet)). Anyone out there want to be on the '05 planning committee - Our first meeting will be at the Fest.

Never the less, here we are. I hope everyone who comes enjoys them selves. I am sad that some people are not going to come because they think we are trying to make money off of them. Sigh. It will be a blast regardless!

RAG1247
09-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Matt

your comment:

Never the less, here we are. I hope everyone who comes enjoys them selves. I am sad that some people are not going to come because they think we are trying to make money off of them. Sigh. It will be a blast regardless!

I don't think anyone is making their decision based on whether Innoventions makes or doesn't make money - I think it is important however for the fact that it is a commercial venture be known.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Matt
09-19-2004, 10:10 PM
True, it is a commercial venture.
I don't think that was ever obfuscated. If we have given the impression to the contrary, I apologize. We are just a bunch of Segeeks who want to have fun!

Sleepy
09-20-2004, 12:25 AM
If SegFest'04 is anything like last year, I wouldn't care if they're making 100% profit on the fees. It was well worth all of the expenses. If you're a Segway nut, you've got to go to a SegFest. This year's events sound pretty good too-- I'm sad that I'm going to miss it. Hopefully next year will be on the West Coast.

-Alex

pam
09-20-2004, 08:31 AM
I have to say that I LOVED SegfesT in Chicago, and am looking forward to it this year in South Florida. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and am happy to volunteer to help Jim and Chandra in any way that they need. I went last year when I thought there would be only 40 or 50, and I'll go this year, whether there are 40 or 200. I can only talk to one person at a time, anyway <G>.
Pam

xseg
09-20-2004, 09:34 AM
I would like to say I agree to all the postings.

If you make money who cares.

The question of this post was attendees.

I would think this is the break down.
50 non-dealer attendees. Let's use the word SC'ers for this.
50 dealers.

If there were 200 attendees (from reading postings) last year mainly SC'ers. This year you have 50 or so SC'ers this could be a tell tale sign of decline in the product. This is the real concern.I do not wish or want that, just bringing up a possible point.

Would the dealers have different badges at Segfest. I really do not wish to have a salesmen telling all the reason why I need a Segway, since I already own one.

Finally,I think this event with 100 attendees should be fun but it is a small gathering. Fathertime mentioned that we must have never done a show before. I know very well what it takes to put on large conventions.

JIMBO
09-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Alex ~ You're not going??? I was looking forward to a good competitor in Seg Polo! ~ Jim

"If SegFest'04 is anything like last year, I wouldn't care if they're making 100% profit on the fees. It was well worth all of the expenses. If you're a Segway nut, you've got to go to a SegFest. This year's events sound pretty good too-- I'm sad that I'm going to miss it. Hopefully next year will be on the West Coast.

-Alex"

Jim Headley
Segway Orange County
~ STEP UP ! ~

Sleepy
09-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately the Bay Area SEG team won't be able to attend this year. But it sounds like Brian's got everything under control for running Seg Polo. I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

Brian
09-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Yeah, we should have a good time. Too bad that you guys can't join us for a nice good game!

Brian

Matt
09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Different color badges might be interesting - we could do sponsors, dealers, volunteers, and other. One point though, we haven't been asking people to identify themselves as to whether they were dealers (or rental operators). We have been inviting dealers who are coming to the Dealers Meeting after the fest to come along early and meet their constituents.

Maybe what we can do is have a selection of stikers for the badges. If you want to identify yourself and your affiliation, you can, otherwise, you don't have to. Thoughts?

JIMBO
09-21-2004, 01:19 AM
I've seen colored badge HOLDERS at many conventions. Just a thought...

Jim Headley
Segway Orange County
~ STEP UP ! ~

Brooster
09-21-2004, 01:31 AM
As one of the organizers of SegwayFest 2003, I'd sure like to see the community really get behind Jim, Chandra and Matt on this thing. I won't be in attendance at SegwayFest this year and am not at all involved in its planning, but I know what they're going through trying to pull it all together. Jim, Chandra and Matt are all top-notch people with honorable intentions, just trying to do something nice for the community.

Being someone who knows Jim and Chandra fairly well, I can tell you that they're two of the most stand-up, gracious people I know. Everything they do ... whether it's a SegFest or a backyard barbeque ... is done nicely.

Sure, they're Segway dealers, and have an interest in seeing this product succeed ... but as of when, a month or so ago? If you guys only began to know the year-long process these people have been through to finally get their dealership open, you'd have a whole new appreciation for their character, their patience, and their absolute dedication to not only this technology, but the entire owner community. If there's such a thing as Seg Sainthood, these folks are right there.

The way I see it, there are five reasons why this Fest may not be as big as last year's:

First and foremost, another year has come and (almost) gone with--as far as I can see--not that many more Segs out there. That's not the Reynolds' fault.

Second, the community "buzz" just isn't there this year, with SegFest discussion being pushed back to the Events Forum on SC. There's been virtually no discussion, or excitement. It's certainly not like last year. What you're seeing right here is all there is, with this event only a few weeks out. That's not the Reynolds' fault either. I don't agree with it, but it's not my site and not my call. It's the way it is, and I'm just grateful that SegwayChat is still here and available to us.

Third, it's probably a little more expensive than last year. But then, look at the venue, and the nice gliding opportunities. It'll be much nicer than what we dealt with in Chicago, having to navigate through McCormick Place and the world's biggest Islamic convention just to get to the lakeshore. Again, Jim and Chandra do things first-class, and I just think they saw a really unique opportunity here.

Fourth, it's certainly less centrally-located in the US, and harder to get to for some people. But I think the idea was to "move it around," and not always have it in the same part of the country.

Fifth, and certainly not least, I think there's a general perception out there that the LLC isn't going to tell attendees anything new. I'm entirely "out of the loop" at this point, but if I were going to SegFest, I definitely wouldn't go with the expectation of hearing anything new. After all, they didn't even formally launch the p-Series at SegwayFest 2003, even though they were running all aound, and people were able to walk up and place an order for one through the world's first dealer ... go figure that one out ...

Anyway ... having said all that, let me just say that SegwayFest is all about the people. If you've never been to a SegFest and you're "on the fence," please do consider going. I can honestly say that last year's event was one of the coolest experiences I've had in a long time. I got to know so many of my fellow Seggers who post here on SegwayChat, and I'm certain that some of those people will be lifelong friends. We e-mail back and forth ... we know each other! There's just no way to place a dollar value on something like that.

SegwayFest 2004 is that sort of opportunity. Grab SegwayFest while you can, and please take advantage of the huge investment of time and money that Jim and Chandra are putting forth to make this happen. It isn't the LLC that's doing this ... it's two of our friends, with the help of a third. That's it, folks. If this event isn't supported by the owner community, my guess would be that it won't happen again. No one will ever put the same heart and soul into SegwayFest that Jim and Chandra have. It'll never be the same.

That's my 2¢ Go make it an event to remember! Especially if you didn't get to the first SegFest. The energy and the "buzz" lasted for weeks. It's the stuff that makes this community what it is, and that's truly the only reason why Jim and Chandra are doing this again.

Thanks for "listening!"

Broo

[8][:P]

Brooster

GyroGo
09-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Brooster:

I agree with pretty much most of what you say, and I really do desire to see SegFest succeed. But while I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue on showing any negativity, I just have to say that while your mileage may vary, I can’t accept your nomination of Jim to Seg Sainthood, as my personal experience indicates that there is a calculating business motive that comprises at least part of the motivation for promoting SegFest. I have one very memorable personal conversation that prevents me from holding him up on a pedestal and revealed to me a different business side prior to SegFest 2003. Again, nothing wrong with making a profit, but I just got tired of hearing one more time the whining that “Segfest is not a profit making venture” when it is clear to me that SegFest promotes business interests. That’s all. Long live SegFest. Long live the free enterprise system. Long live honesty and integrity.

IndyFIRSTengineer
09-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Broo,
Thanks for your thoughtful post - I agree 100%!

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions, however I am getting tired of hearing the negative attitudes about this. No one ever claimed that Innoventions, or the SegwayFest was a "not for profit" venture. But the fact remains that the organizers of SegFest '03 (Jim and Chandra, and others) took a significant financial hit after all was said and done, and I would be very surprised if they realized a profit from this event ... although, as others have said, good for them if they do - I know I am looking forward to a fantastic weekend. I am sure it will be as memorable for me (raffle win or not) as last years.

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

xseg
09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Here is the real issue.

Only 100 or so people are coming to Segfest!
50 or so will be what the convention was designed for. Consumers.
Im sure all attendees will be happy just to be apart of it all.

The turn out number seems lousy. (not to ruffle anyones feathers)
If 200 SCers etc showed up last why only 50 or so this year?
At Proctor and Gamble someone would have lost there job for this.
Why did we not have 400 gliders this year sign up?
It would seem that the big dog (Segway) threw you a bone by having their dealer meeting there. I would base this on turn out.

Alan
We have nothing but time on hands.

RAG1247
09-21-2004, 04:11 PM

Here is the real issue.

It would seem that the big dog (Segway) threw you a bone by having their dealer meeting there. I would base this on turn out.

Alan
We have nothing but time on hands.

I'm not sure what an SCers is, but I don't think there were 200 of them there last year. Xseg - hoe come you don't have an email address?

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

pam
09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I don't know where xseg is getting his figures, but I think he's pulling them out of the air. He's not been around very long and is attempting to make all these comparisons. It seems sorta like he's just a bit of a troll in sheeps clothing. JMHO.
Pam

xseg
09-21-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry if my numbers were off base. I guessed from threads that I read in the past. My questions still stands if you can correct my numbers.

SCers- Segway Chatters
email: xeseg@netscape.net (if you would like my personal address just email and I will send it along).

Thanks

Florida Ever-Glides
09-21-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't thing ANYONE has a realistic number on the number of atendees coming. Even the organizers won't know until the last minute. There will probably be many last-minute people. I'm sure, however, that regardless of the actual number, it will be a memorable event...

Tom Jacobson

Stewbonz
09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
It ticks me off to hear people complaining about the organizers of this event!

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

RAG1247
09-22-2004, 12:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Stewbonz

JEFF JARVIS

gee - what complaints are ticking you off?

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

GyroGo
09-22-2004, 12:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Stewbonz

<rambling rant>

OY! This comment is apparently directed at least partially at me and so I must be looking like some sort of unappreciative cad. I'm really trying to take the high road and let this rest but as I am apparently not looking good in this I am compelled to take another crack at explaining myself in defense of myself. It's an uncomfortable position for me to be in, as I know it is unfair of me to expect you all to understand what I'm trying to say, without detailing my experience. Simply, my personal experience, that I am not detailing, prevents me from concurring with a nomination to "sainthood" when my experience is contrary. My opinion is from my personal experience, and you may all think whatever you wish, but you are ticked off without walking in my shoes. I have a reason for what I say, and I don't expect you all to understand it. My opinion is only from my experience, and your mileage may very. Long live SegFest, long live the free enterprise system. Now that I've said alot of nothing, please just accept that it is just my opinion, you think what you want from your experience, I'm fine with that.

</end rambling rant>

Stan671
09-22-2004, 01:51 AM
I, simply as a member of the Segway Community, and as the President of SEG America throw my full support behind the tremendous efforts by Jim and Matt to put together Segway Fest 2004.

Last year, when my father (a 77 year old Segway owner) and I first heard of the first Segway Fest in 2003, there was no way anyone could stop us from attending. When we were done with the Fest, we were blown away by how great it was to be there with Dean, the Segway LLC people, and most of all, so many others from the Segway community. We vowed right then to attend the next Fest whenever and wherever it would be.

This year, when Segway Fest 2004 was announced, we were some of the first ones to register. We are driving all the way from New Jersey to Florida to attend the event this year. We are doing it because we want to feel and be part of the energy that is the Segway Community. We want to attend the presentations by Segway LLC and by the others at the Fest. We want to meet fellow SegwayChat members that we know so well, but only get to meet at the Fest. We want to meet Dean again and get another signature on our Segway HT's. We want to learn more about the machine and the technology behind it.

In short, we are Segway Enthusiasts and do not need a logical reason to attend the Segway Fest - we simply have a very strong desire in our hearts to attend. It cannot be explained in any other way. We are not going because of any specific material gains. It is because of the intangables - the love for the Segway and for its Community - that we feel compelled to attend Segway Fest. We know it will be a great event and that we will have a great time - because that is what we expect to have. We are not concerned about who is making $10 here or about having to check the badge of someone to see if we want to snub them because they are a dealer.

As the President of SEG America, I will agree with Matt that SEG America was not up to speed to be able to put on an event of this size and complexity. We have our own start up issues to deal with right now and are very glad that Jim and Matt stepped forward to make Segway Fest 2004 happen. I don't know of anyone else who could do as good of a job. I expect that SEG America will be a major sponsor of the next Segway Fest.

Stan Dobrowski

statmed
09-22-2004, 07:34 AM

Here is the real issue.

We might have another type of TROLL here. His/Her 8 posts are all against Segfest, he doesn't have an e-mail listed and not one post is adding anything positive to this forum or Segway Chat in general.

Let's just ignore Mr Troll and all enjoy ourselves at SegFest.

Would you even want someone with all this negative energy spoiling Segfest for us, by being there?

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

xseg
09-22-2004, 02:00 PM
It makes no sense why some people let thier feelings get hurt over a point of view. It seems that if you don't cheerlead for Segfest you want to run them off.

We'll I dont have running shoes, so I guess I better dig in.

It seems no one wants to answer the important questions.

I have done nothing but praise for this event.

Florida Ever-Glides
09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I know that some of us have the same strong attraction to Segway Fest as those attracted to the Devil's Tower in Close Encounters of a Third Kind. Just kidding...

Tom Jacobson

Stewbonz
09-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Prior to last years Fest, there had been some grumbling about cost, etc.
Within 5 minutes of my arrival I knew it was money well spent.
Heck, I was riding a Segway around Chicago with Steve Wozniac, Dean Kamen and the engineers that actually built this amazing machine!
Got an autographed poster from Jack Kamen the artist, met some great folks, made some business contacts, had a chance to win a Segway, and got to see what a professional show Jim can put on.
It doesn't get any better than that...

JEFF JARVIS

Burke
09-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I would like to second what Brooster, Stewbonz and others have said. The experience is simply priceless.

My thought last year was, "Why spend the money and time to go across country for a Segway convention?", but Dick wanted to go. As Stewbonz said, as soon as we arrived, we knew it was worth it. We were with the people who designed the Segway! The commitment of every single one of them was inspiring. They weren't just speakers at a dinner. They mingled. They talked to us. We got a renewed appreciation for the effort that went into the Segway and the company's commitment to our safety. We got to ask any question we wanted and got some memorable answers.

Dean autographed my fender. His dad Jack autographed his own print of Einstein on a Segway, which is now framed in our office. We met so many of the nice folks we "talk" to via Segway Chat, not the least of whom were Jim and the charming Chandra. We saw Wayne's seat for the Segway and bought his briefcase holder. We saw all of Itsi's various accessories. We had free keys made by Segway. We saw the prototypes that we'd read about in Code Name Ginger. We bought quick-disconnects that were SO worth it.

I don't think a day goes by that I don't for some reason think about the first SegFest and the unique experience it was. (Of course seeing that autograph on my fender every day probably has something to do with it!) It almost always comes up in conversation with customers just because it was so incredible.

Obviously we were inspired enough to seek a dealership later. Certainly we don't plan to go to SegFest and accost people about buying one. I expect the huge majority will already own one, but that wouldn't be our style anyway. We just want to absorb the experience, meet the new principals and see what the direction of the company is. Afterwards, we'll meet more dealers and get to share experiences with them. Plus we'll enjoy a nice vacation at a great resort in Florida. Talk about a great opportunity!

For those who think they will wait for next year's, don't assume there will ever be another one. I cannot imagine Jim wanting to put himself through this again, and I don't know who else would.

I can't wait!

Janice

IndyFIRSTengineer
09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
WOW ... I wish I had something to add. Janice and Brooster (and others) have said it all. I personally don't care how great the turnout is ... large or small it will still be a GREAT time. A small group will be more intimate ... while a larger group means I get to meet even more great people. I just hate to see the organizers work so hard and commit so much, and not have the support I feel they deserve from our community ... See you all in a week !!!

... and Broo ... my co-pilot chair is still empty ...

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

wayne
09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
The way I see it, to much to soon for the number of Segs that are out there.
I don't know about the rest of you but the Fest should have been more central located.
Most can't afford a $1500 or more week. If flying and carrying Segs it could be more.
With the location you may as well say it was outside the US (almost anyway).

LLC should really be helping push and advertising these events. It would help in their sales if it was done right.

I think smaller (less expensive hotels), a location where one could take their Seg on a 5 to 10 mile tour of a mountain, lake or something scenic, a get together for an outdoor night cookout and get the cost down and location more central located.

Bells and whistles are great but if not many show up it's a washout.

Wayne

statmed
09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by wayne

I think smaller (less expensive hotels), a location where one could take their Seg on a 5 to 10 mile tour of a mountain, lake or something scenic, a get together for an outdoor night cookout and get the cost down and location more central located.

Sounds like an Arizona Segfest next year!!! ;)

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net
www.segnyc.com
www.biker-glasses.com

Florida Ever-Glides
09-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I've done some research lately and you guys have no idea the enourmous number of Segway related businneses that are out there. It is much bigger than you can imagine. And, I would think that many of those busineses and non SC Seg owners will be coming without complaining about the cost or location. There is a real chance that this is going to be much bigger than any of us can imagine. And thats just tough luck for the 'bellyachers'... Whoever dosen't go will be missing out on something GREAT!!...

Tom Jacobson

Matt
09-30-2004, 08:00 PM
To be honest, one of the reasons that Florida was chosen was due to the density of machines and the expectation for the future. Remember, these events need to be planned 6-12 months out. When we started looking at venues, the population of machines in Florida out ranked every other state. What has happened in the mean time is that there has been a tremendous growth since last winter and it is reasonably well spread.

I do agree with Wayne, though, we should choose a place that has the stuff we want to do in a place that we think is reasonable central and hope that their is no dramatic demographic swing. However, based upon the percentage of folks coming to SegwayFest from Europe this year, next year's Fest may need to be over there if it is to be centrally loacated!

m

RAG1247
09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Matt

To be honest, one of the reasons that Florida was chosen was due to the density of machines and the expectation for the future. Remember, these events need to be planned 6-12 months out. When we started looking at venues, the population of machines in Florida out ranked every other state. What has happened in the mean time is that there has been a tremendous growth since last winter and it is reasonably well spread.

I do agree with Wayne, though, we should choose a place that has the stuff we want to do in a place that we think is reasonable central and hope that their is no dramatic demographic swing. However, based upon the percentage of folks coming to SegwayFest from Europe this year, next year's Fest may need to be over there if it is to be centrally loacated!

m

where is the density of machines in florida??? I know of Celebration but not many residents of Celebration came to last year's segfest to the best of my knowledge, and I don't think there are a lot of Celebration owners on segchat

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Matt
10-01-2004, 12:11 AM
The density is in ownership. Whether they (the owners) choose to be on the chat or not or come to the fest or not, it was decided that in areas of higher machine densities, there would be a greater propensity for folks to be preinclined to go to segfest.

Certainly you will not dispute that there are more dealers in the state than in any other - would you? If all those dealers believe folks are there to buy, then there must be a predisposition towards the machine.

Maybe our reasoning was faulty. Nevertheless, I will be having a blast with everyone who comes!

See you all there!

opti6600
10-01-2004, 10:50 PM
While I understand the date was set for a reason, you also have to bear in mind that some of us (ahem, those of us in high school) have major testing the weekend of the 9th. I probably could have rescheduled for a test center around there for SAT IIs, but I think a night road trip followed by SAT II testing with HTs on the mind isn't the wisest idea : )

Oh, and then I've been trying this weird thing called sleep...

I think it'll be awesome regardless, guys - the organizing team rocks, and the attendees inevitably will, too!

Stan671
10-02-2004, 11:50 AM
No matter where the Fest is held, it will be a long journey for some people. And whatever date is chosen, it will be tough for some people. There is no way a large event like this can accomodate everyone. Not everyone will be able to attend every year. That is a simple fact of conventions.

I think Matt's logic made sense to pick a location that is where there are a lot of dealers and owners (see my other topic on distribution of SEG America members). They also considered the availability of lower cost air fares to the location. There are a lot of compromises in picking a location and there is no "perfect" location.

Stan Dobrowski

Lohja
10-02-2004, 05:12 PM
I bought my Segway simply because I wanted one. I didn't even attempt to justify ownership from the economic viewpoint. Before I bought it, I didn't check with my home area to verify that I could use it on public streets. I just knew I would be able to use it somewhere near my house; and that's all I cared about. I like manner, I'm not attempting to justify a trip to Seg-Fest based on economics. There are some things a person does in life simply to have fun, feel good and be around other people with similar interests. I've planned, saved, put-off and sacrificed other trips this year to attend Seg-Fest. I personally place a high (non-economic)value on this "get-together". I will be wonderful to finally have someone to glide with.

I'm volunteering this year at Seg-Fest. I hope I am needed and used. What better way to meet fellow gliders?

Jerry on his way from Yorktown, Virginia.

Brooster
10-03-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm glad you've offered to volunteer, Jerry. I'm sure Jim, Chandra and Matt will be able to use some help. Have a great Fest!

Brooster

Okeechobee Wind
10-03-2004, 03:42 PM
I never even considered the possibility that I would not be in Florida at the time of Segfest 2004. It would take a big change in the weather to change my plans, well as you know there was a big change in the weather. Have a wonderful and educational experience attending Segfest. I am looking forward to the blogs about Segfest while controlling my desire to be there even though I am in Las Vegas.