PDA

View Full Version : Segway Rental. Is it profitable?

Scottie
09-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi Everyone.

I am looking at offering a segway rental service in my hometown (Non US). I was wondering if anyone knew or had any feedback on how profitable a business like this is.

Look foward to hearing your feedback.

Florida Ever-Glides
09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
There are too many tangible and intangible factors to take into consideration, your question is impossible to answer as stated.

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

Scottie
09-13-2004, 06:07 PM
OK, well what do you think the characteristics are that make a profitable Segway hire business.
How are you capturing people’s imagination?
Also;
What is the average number of segways you are renting?
What are you charging pre hour?
Maintenance - How much are you spending a month?
Insurance – How much are you spending a month?

It would be good to have some estimate information like this, as it will really help in the planning stages of a business like this.

Kind Regards,
Scott

Matt
09-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Scottie,

I know it might seem like a bunch of money to spend, but if you were to come to this year's SegFest (October 8-10 in Bonita Springs FL - www.segwayfest.com) you will be able to talk to many of the Segway rental program operators, attend some workshops related to the rental topics, take a workshop on running a Tour Operation, and learn directly fomr folks that are doing what you would like to do. It is money well spent if you are considering opening a Segway Rental Operation.

Snowgod
09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Some answers can be found by reading for sale posts such as this: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8979

Not everyone who tries to start a SEGWAY HT bussiness is going to make money. As suggested above, you should try to attend SEGFEST.

Live Free and Glide

Scottie
09-20-2004, 10:30 PM
I would love to go to Segfest. Unfortunately i am on the other side of the world.
Im more after a general perspective on whether Segway hire is profitable.
Do people seem generally interested in hiring Segways?
Do Segway hire businesses last?
Are you reaching Tragets or are things slumping off?

Stan671
09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Tom is not in the Segway for hire business that is sounds like you are looking at. He is a tour operator. He takes people on tours of the area around his businees with the people riding Segway's. So, there is a dual purpose for the customer - get a guided tour of an intersting place and get to ride a Segway HT.

Stan Dobrowski

Segman61
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Scottie,

The answer to your question is YES! We have run a successful rental business for over a year now. And YES we also do Segways "for hire", however there are "tricks of the trade" in order to make this work. But in reference to your question as I've said the answer is YES. The Segway generates plenty of interest to catch peoples eye and experience that "segway smile". We have a rental packet available for purchase to teach you how to do this in ANY part of the world! If you would like email me for details at matt@magicscooter.com

I am SEGMAN!

pam
10-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Scottie, you might look at the model done by Keolis in France. www.keolis.com They are a transportation company in France which does rentals in Paris, plus they are about to open another city in the north of France that will be subsidized by the local government. Their goal was to look at transportation as a whole, and to provide for their customers that last 2/3 of a mile from the bus or train station. So they've utilized Segways and bicycles.

At the meeting, we had a series of breakouts on rental issues - and particularly in the open rental vs. the guided tour type market. We have some issues here in the States that are probably different than ones that you will run into outside of the US. Email me off list if you want me to give you a specific contact with Keolis.
Pam