PDA

View Full Version : Segway and the Glide

John F
01-13-2003, 09:30 PM
OK, I shouldn't post this because it's going to disrupt the forums harmony -- but it's something that's just got to be said:

How much bolded out "glide" references do we need in posts? I can understand and think highly of refering to using a Segway as "Gliding" or "the glide", but I don't think saying GLIDE and turning it colors and calling the Segway a glider in order to further underline the chic of "Glide" and Segway is really necessary...

I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm not trying to ruin the forum, but seeing GLIDE used repeatedly in a post just gets to me... The enthusiasm is great, tying that verb to the Segway is cool, but... [B)]:(

GlideMaster
01-13-2003, 09:42 PM
I know this should make your day. Give me the word and I can take my glide -ss and move on, seeing as how I already glide. And believe me there will be no hard feelings.

<center>The GlideMaster</center>
<center>http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete/1267/gif/segway.gif</center>
<center>Glide On</center>
quote:Originally posted by John F

OK, I shouldn't post this because it's going to disrupt the forums harmony -- but it's something that's just got to be said:

How much bolded out "glide" references do we need in posts? I can understand and think highly of refering to using a Segway as "Gliding" or "the glide", but I don't think saying GLIDE and turning it colors and calling the Segway a glider in order to further underline the chic of "Glide" and Segway is really necessary...

I'm not trying to stir things up, I'm not trying to ruin the forum, but seeing GLIDE used repeatedly in a post just gets to me... The enthusiasm is great, tying that verb to the Segway is cool, but... [B)]:(

Sailor
01-13-2003, 09:58 PM
I agree John, the overuse of the term GLIDE in bold red and the general reverential tones associated with it by some users causes this forum to appear, well, not serious. It instead begins to take on the appearance of being a forum for obsessed zealots instead of Segway enthusiasts.

I have been concerned that the non-Segway initiated will be off put by such gregarious insider rhetoric.

It would be a shame to see the potential of this forum deteriorate from being a serious forum for the discussion of topics related to the Segway by both Segway enthusiasts and the general public who may be interested into an insiders clique that purposely alienates the non-Segway obsessed.

Even I am somewhat off put by the zealotry of some members, and I consider myself obsessed as I check this site at least 6 or 7 times a day and am checking off the days until my Segway arrives. I certainly would have participated in more of the threads if wasn't that I had trepidations due to the extremism displayed by some members.

The same members I refer to have been valuable resources to this forum, and I have learned much from their postings. However, I think it would be better for all if the zealtory was toned down a notch, perhaps the the level of mere fanaticism :)?

BruceWright
01-13-2003, 11:08 PM
I think the GLIDEMaster is just having a bit of fun. Nothing wrong with a litte bit of high-spirits. Gliding can do that to a person.

Enjoy the GLIDE.

GlideGlideGlideGlideGlideGlideGlideGlideGlideGlide GlideGlideGlide

Sailor
01-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Let's be serious, it is after all a serious subject.

There is nothing wrong with a little fun, except when it belittles the forum as a whole by alienating non-zealots. The incessant use of such "in" colloquialisms causes this forum to stop being a place for all to participate in and instead creates a haven for the only those already initiated. Perhaps this is what the majority of the members want, but I suspect not.

If the users of this forum truly care to have the general population embrace the Segway alienating them is probably not the most effective choice of action.

I suggest instead looking at PT as an example of someone who is a true Segway enthusiast but hasn't turned his enthusiasm into a form of elitist sectarianism.

As for Redkey's comments, right on! Enough with the incessant quoting of entire posts and the glib statements of "I agree".

On the subject of improvements to the forums, if possible some way to indicate agreement with a specific post would be great. That would do away with the constant "I agree" type posts while allowing everyone to still weigh in on a subject even if they have nothing more to add than an affirmative or negatory.

Brooster
01-14-2003, 01:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sailor

I agree John, the overuse of the term GLIDE in bold red and the general reverential tones associated with it by some users causes this forum to appear, well, not serious. It instead begins to take on the appearance of being a forum for obsessed zealots instead of Segway enthusiasts.

Let's agree to lighten up and move on, okay? Enough said?

Brooster

BruceWright
01-14-2003, 01:33 AM
If you want to be serious, I can say with all seriousness that I don't agree.

I don't think that one member's use of a red text phrase does any harm. I see it as his style and his signature, and I don't think he should be singled out. I think the ever-increasing membership shows that many people are finding this forum and finding a place in it just fine, red text or no. As more people join, they outnumber the one person using red text, and so lessens whatever kidding that goes on around the GlideMaster.

Elitist Sectarianism? I'll get back to you after I look that up. (that's a joke). Again, sorry, we can't all be pt. If I need an example, there are many here I would choose from, pt, being but one.

There's lots of ways that different boards handle excessive chatter. One would be to create a general:talk board, and threads can move there if they devolve to primarily socializing. I notice there is also an off-topic forum that only Blinky seems to have discovered. ;) New forums need time to evolve and find the relevant sub-categories, and evolve a culture that helps them get posted to the relevant forums. I notice that these posts themselves are in the wrong place, they should be in the Segwaychat home forum.

Sailor, you put us in a position here by criticizing the Glidemaster's use of the forum. You come here as a starting member and are already cleaning house. That's kind of harsh, but it's hard for me to see your point or be on your side. Perhaps a softer start would be more welcome?

Stutoonz
01-14-2003, 01:42 AM
If anybody in the forum has seen and enjoyed "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", you will understand my answer to the burning question of Glide or not; Red or not...."I'M WITH YOU GUYS !"

SO IT GOES !!-Kurt Vonnegut, author

n/a
01-14-2003, 02:02 AM
In my opinion, we can both be serious and have fun here. I think glidemaster's unique style and enthusiasm adds some extra flavour to the discussions. He has also provided a lot of valuable info. GlideMaster has not become the representative of the forum. We dont emulate his style.

ftropea
01-14-2003, 05:05 PM
While I appreciate forum feedback, I'm not sure there is anything to be done about this particular issue. The complaint is about "stylistic use" of the English language. In this case, a particular word - "Glide" - set in a bold, red font.

What's next? Should we disallow the use of incomplete sentences.. or smilies.. or phrases which end in three dots... ? [/:(] Or get down on each other for mispellings (!) or bad grammar?

I say we just let this one go and not make a big deal about it. I don't see anyone personally attacking others or being intentionally disruptive.

Anywayz.. it's not what people say that bothers you. It's how you allow yourself to be bothered by those words that bothers you.

So don't let it bother you! :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)