PDA

View Full Version : Segway for the disabled, any ideas?

Stewbonz
09-01-2004, 08:48 PM
A student in the Bangkok International School is using the Segway for a project in her Design Technology class.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am in the last year of the IB program at the New International School of Thailand, in Bangkok. For an assignment in my Design Technology class, I am researching the technology and performance characteristics of the Segway, and contrasting them to older technology, showing the advantages of the Segway in aiding the physically disabled. I will eventually produce a 4,000-word essay, with accompanying photos and drawings.

I have talked to Mr. Jeff Jarvis several times; he taught me how to ride the Segway, and has discussed with me some unique ideas for applying this technology to the needs of disabled persons. In an effort to adequately describe the full potential of this marvelous invention, I would appreciate receiving comments from readers on current innovative uses of the Segway for and by the disabled, but also on its future potential.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Sincerely,

Kimberly H.

Posted by Jeff Jarvis for Kimberly.
Example: What are the advantages of a Segway versus an electric wheelchair?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

trevor
09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Try the following web site. It has far more examples of people with disabilities using Segways than the Draft site.

http://www.digitalthreads.com/segway/

ZoliHonig
09-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Well jeff, the segway came from the ibot which the technology was originally intended for.

[8]-Zoli[8]

jrmiller
09-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Greetings, I am disabled and uses my HT to assist in my limitation due to Parkinsons Disease. My biggest problem is walking. On a bad day or when my medication wears off and I forgot to bring/take my dose of pills, my walking degrades rapidil;t. I also do not have the stamina to walk great distances ( flea markets, malls, or just shopping) and this is where the HT enters my life. When walking before I was stumbling and breaking bones; ribs and collar bone neither of which is a very pleasant healing process. I rejoined the general population with an improved outlook on life and I am now looked at with curiosity and questions instead of being observed as a "not normal person" who shuffle steps and eventuall falls. The HT is was my only option because I refused to go into a wheel chair. A chair would be a last resort. Besides the HT is much more interesting to be around that a wheel chair. It's kind of like being the first one in your town at the turn of the century to show up with a car. Enough for now, If you have questions, feel free to cointact me through the Segchat e-mail. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT

trigeek
09-05-2004, 01:26 PM
what a great topic! will your paper be online? i would love to have access to it as an advocate for disabled kids.

what are the advantages of a segway over an electric wheelchair? well, you just have to spend a day in wheelchair to know the answer to that one! the world isn't made for wheelchairs. it's degrading to be a couple of feet below everyone else all the time, to roll up to a counter and have the person behind it not be able to see you, to be limited in where you can go both indoors and out because of your mobility abilities and size (large footprint). i could go on and on but suffice it to say being in a wheelchair was very limiting for me.

more specifically, a wheelchair just wouldn't cut it for my job. i'm a pediatrician. i work in a hospital. the counters (with phones, charts, paperwork, vital signs, computers...) are all at standing height. patient beds and incubators are also. yet because of my rheumatoid arthritis i can't run around for 30 hour shifts as demanded by my job. i solidify after about 4 hours on a good day! the segway is an absolute lifesaver. i scoot wherever i want to. noone looks down to me. i squeeze in tight spaces. i can move quickly down the hallway. i can be at the height i need to reach my charts and write orders.

there's another factor that's significant for me but i'm not sure how common an issue it is.. i am able to stand. i can step on and off a segway. in fact, i'd be in pain if i had to sit for hours. but prior to the segway there were really only two mobility options, walk or sit in a wheelchair. how odd would it be for me to wheel around then stand up when i got to my destination and walk around for a bit? it'd feel weird. with the segway, i step off it and park it somewhere when i'm going to be in one spot for a bit, for example in a patient's room. i can sit on a chair for a while, or stretch my joints.. not sure if i'm explaining that part right it's just easier to move in and out of than a wheelchair.

Stewbonz
09-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Good stuff. Keep it coming.
Thanks.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/