PDA

View Full Version : Segway at Work: UPDATE

Segs4Legs
08-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Several weeks ago I was permitted a 2 week trial of using the Segway at my workplace, which is a Borders bookstore. I completed the trial and reported back to my boss, who reported back to corporate.

Several more weeks went by, and finally she called me into her office and said, they wanted now to do a 30 day trial, as 14 days (which amounted to about 6 days of work) was not enough. I was fine with that.

Then she told me that she had reported no problems, accidents, "incidents", etc. But she *did* tell me that like 3 days after "it" happened, a lady called up and told my boss that I had inadvertantly brushed by her foot. I didn't run over her, or hit her, or injure her, or anything, but for some readon she felt compelled to call the manager and report this. I caouldn't believe it.

So I used the Seg at work again. I watched the people sitting in the big leather chairs, which face the aisle. They would be sitting with their legs crossed and as I rolled through, they would not move their leg, and they didn't need to, but they'd WATCH to see if I'd "hit" them. I think by instnct most people 'pull in' when someone walkes or wheelchairs through. These people intentionally didn't.

I also got a host of very stupid comments. I get enough now, using a cane at the ripe old age of 42. But "Can I ride?" "How come your on THAT thing?" "Gimme a ride" "I wish I could ride one at work" "Did Borders get that for you to scoot on?" and more, "Lemme have a ride!" "Gimme a ride" and so on. Not that the comments are rude, and I know curiosity is high about the Segway, but even after I reply that I use it as a wheelchair, I still get stupid comments.

Ever ask a wheelchair-bound person for a RIDE? I haven't.

The comments and questions were continuous, and interfered with my work. I almost lost my temper a couple times. One guy, to whom I denied a ride, (and this is after I explained my handicap to him), shouted, "If you won't gimme a ride, how will I get home??!!" I replied back, "You have 2 working legs, USE THEM!"

The next day I came to work without the Segway. I explained to my boss that there were just too many comments, too many stupid comments, too many people asking about my handicap, and since she told me about the lady calling up, I decided that my town was not ready to go elbow to elbow with the Segway. I see how people react to a wheelchair or power scooter, they respect it, make way for it, and are polite. With me, I get horsed around with, rude, MYOB questions are asked, etc. I told her I appreciated the effort she had gone through to help corporate allow the Segway, but the people just weren't ready, and I'm in no mood to deal with jerks.

It irks me that even withOUT the Segway, I get asked. I can't believe a stranger will approach another stranger and ask what's wrong with my legs??!! How could that be their business?? I'd like to reply with a personal question back, "Do you masturbate?" "Have you cheated on your taxes, even a little?" "How much does your husband make?" "Was it easy for you to get pregnant?" etc. and see how THEY like being asked a personal question by a stranger.

I was doing this partly for the Segway, but have decided that for ME, it's not gonna work right now.

My legs, however, have gotten worse that last week or so, so I may HAVE to use it, but for now, nope. Too many jerks. I'll end up losing my temper and henceforth my job.

Sorry, y'all.

macpurc
08-27-2004, 11:41 AM
When someone asks if they can ride my Segway (and if i'm not prepared for a demo) I don't even answer them. I very nicely say that there is a Brookstone at the mall that sells them, and they give demonstrations. More than not, that stops the rude questions, and the person asking isn't agressive towards me for the answer. Good luck.

Charlie

KSagal
08-27-2004, 11:42 AM
I must agree that people seem to have no discression any more. I don't have the physical limitations, but still get inappropriate questions all the time.

The most common that has been in several threads is the question of cost. Out of the blue, people will stop on the street and ask how much it costs.

I have always turned it around. I ask the cost of their car or something. I have even been told how foolish it was to pay $ 5000 of the seg after a woman told me she had paid $ 55,000 for her SUV. (In my mind, that is crazy!)

You can mark it off to human nature. It is the inclination to look at a car accident as you drive by. The problem is that less and less people strive to rise above this base level of human emotion.

Try to relax. Many of the people you deal with, especially in retail, are not going to operate on a social level that you may be comfortable with. Don't take it personnally.

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Sal
08-27-2004, 11:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I hope that people's attitudes will change, and will respect each other more, but as Karl points out, there's no discretion anymore. When people ask me how much it costs, I usually tell them, but part of me wants to respond with "well that's a rude question," but it's not in my nature to be rude back, we have to be good Segway ambassadors. I for one would love to be a great Segway ambASSador to idiots on the sidewalks.

What irks me the most is when I am referred to, or called to respond with an "eh! you!" I will respond if someone says "excuse me!" or "how does that work" but I choose not to pay any attention to animal like grunts or hollars, expecially when people expect me to stop and chat when they're screaming at me from across the street or in a car.

Furthermore, Segs4Legs points out something very interesting/disturbing in human nature... the lack of consideration for others, no matter whether the person has a disability or not. People DO NOT move aside. I constantly see conversations from people just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. I walk toward them (not on my Segway) they don't move. They see me, but don't move. Once I was walking beside a coworker who uses a scooter (LARK) to get around, and we approached a group of 3 individuals who were standing right smack in the middle of the sidewalk. I made eye contact with 2 of the people as we approached... THEY DID NOT MAKE WAY AT ALL...

My opinion is that you should continue to take the Segway to work, and honestly, I think you have the right to talk back to rude customers (although that certainly may not mox well with the attitude that is expected from the employees of bookstores) who act like arses.

The fact is, you have a right to use the Segway, you don't have to put up with the B.S. that comes along with it.

Anyway, good luck, we're here for you!

-Sal

Think Different / Answers that Matter
www.apple.com / www.lilly.com

Nelda
08-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Shawnee, having been thru this for the last 50 years, the answer is it was how children were taught to respond. I remember so many wispers of "don't stare!" And the ver worse were the little blue haired ladies. My god, they were rude. No one teaches basic manners anymore. Just remember, the good apples in the bushel when we encounter the bad apple. Take your seg back to the bookstore. You could put a little sign on the seg saying-please don't ask stupid questions-I'm working. LOL
Nelda

Sunday
08-27-2004, 12:37 PM
I am reminded of the Deapair.com poster which reads "There are no stupid questions, but there is no shortage of curious idiots."

I get lots of curious idiot questions when people notice me reading something. My favorite is "won't glasses help?" Wow, it's 2004. If a pair of glasses could help me, I would most likely be wearing them. I once told a waiter I was looking for dust mites when asked why I was using a magnifier to read the menu. I ended up stiffing the guy, too. Knowledge is rewarded, ignorance should be punished at every opportunity.

Mark

Sal
08-27-2004, 01:22 PM
"Knowledge is rewarded, ignorance should be punished at every opportunity. -Mark"

I love it!

-Sal

Think Different / Answers that Matter
www.apple.com / www.lilly.com

Segway City
08-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Shawnee: there is no easy way to change people's attitudes, short of moving to a place with a larger percentage of happier people. Recalcitrance seems to be a way of life in certain corners of our country these days, and that can trigger anger in ways noone can predict.

While you have called the first trial run a failure, at least your employer did not. That will give you an opportunity to try again when politics are done and Christmas is upon us?

Good luck. We're with you.

Segs4Legs
08-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Salkulkarni said, "My opinion is that you should continue to take the Segway to work, and honestly, I think you have the right to talk back to rude customers (although that certainly may not mox well with the attitude that is expected from the employees of bookstores) who act like arses."

Well for all the reasons I stated, I'm not doing it.

There's a certain amounbt of emotional stuff that is hand in hand with this. For 40+ years I was normal. Not an attractive woman, but average by all counts. So I wasn't looked at, for good OR bad reasons. Just a ME.

Then, this disability, which mimics MS but has never been diagnosed, which makes it all the more frustrating (I couldn't get medication if I WANTED them, insurance won't cover them with no diagnosis) attacked me, leaving this avid hiker disabled. Suddenly I was getting stared at, looked at, people stare at my legs (like they're gonna SEE something) questions get asked, people glare at me when I park in the handicap spot (with a topless Jeep and loud stereo, I don't "look the part"), etc. I can't handle the gaping and staring, the Segway draws even MORE questions and stuff, that's the problem.

And it's the RUDE questions. When I ride for fun, around town, I get the typical mechanical type questions, which I don't mind. When I ride in the store, I get the "How come you're on THAT thing?" questions, and of course the rude behaviour and the people who I swear WANT to get run over so they can sue or complain. (I'm in California...)

I can't deal with it. Dealing with a disabling and unknown disease is hard enough. Explaining it to jerks makes it all the worse.

trigeek
08-28-2004, 12:55 PM
segs4legs, my heart goes out to you. dealing with your disability is more than enough of a struggle without having to fight off rude and inconsiderate people all the time.

i've had similar experiences at work and since the segway is still new to me i'm sometimes gunshy about using it. so i understand your decision not to use it. my hope is that you'll find a way to be able to use it eventually.. not for us but for you. i know that i would be devastated if i were not able to use my segway at work.

i think you should hang that despair.com quote on the segway!