PDA

View Full Version : Segway/electric wheelchair "race"

ronzul
08-01-2004, 11:24 AM
I never know what to do when I glide past someone in a wheelchair (either manual or electric). Is the person "okay" about being in a wheelchair? Will they be upset seeing someone on a Segway, if that is something that they cannot use?

I know how impossible it was for me to contemplate using an electric wheelchair, and all these thoughts go through my mind when I see someone in a chair.

Today was different though...

I was waiting for the lights to change, and a lady in an electric wheelchair approached me. She was smiling when she saw the Segway, and so obviously this was not causing her any angst.

We started comparing notes, top speed, range etc. It did not appear that she was asking questions because it was suitable for her, just out of interest. I joked that it wasn't fair -- she had more wheels than me.

The lights changed and we crossed the road. The other side was the start of a wide pedestrian mall with no one in the way. I couldn't refuse, so I asked if she wanted a race! She said yes!

Of course it was no competition, but somehow it was a nice experience, and boy did we get some looks! Maybe it just touched me how okay she was with being in a chair.

Cheers
Ronny

---
Who said that you shouldn't get carried away on your Segway?

teekay
08-01-2004, 06:22 PM
ronny, nice post, It's alyays good to see people happy no matter what life dishes out.

The race sounded like fun and you said "Of course it was no competition" So........how many Seg Lengths did she whip you by?

Are you going to ask for a re-match?

:) Tim

Stewbonz
08-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I followed someone on a uni-cycle the other day. Says he takes it all around the world. Sometimes goes 30k at a time. Boy, did we get some looks.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/