PDA

View Full Version : Shopping centre security guard

ronzul
07-14-2004, 09:27 AM
A new shopping centre mega complex has opened up close by to where I live.

I have been there a number of times, and on a couple of occasions was stopped by security guards indicating that I could not use the Segway inside. Up until last week, after explaining that I use the Segway instead of a wheelchair, the different guards would say "no problem sir, have a nice day". Very decent. Very respectful.

Last week, a guard who had an attitude from hell, told me to stay where I was, as he got authorisation from management.

Now even after a few minutes, there was no response. Now, being on a Segway by itself attracts enough attention. Being on one next to a security guard attracts even more.

I was getting very upset about not being allowed to move anywhere. I said to the guard that I would go to where the coffee tables were (10 metres away) whilst he got authorisation. He would not let me do this!

Now, I am a reasonable person. I understand that security guards would tell people to not use a Segway inside. I understand that there is no obvious way for a guard to see that I have significant mobility limitations and need a motorised device. I have no problem with them assuming that I am just using it "for fun" and asking me to get off.

I understand I have a responsibility to explain the situation, and I actually would not be offended at all if they asked to see my doctor's certificate which I keep with me at all times.

But this guy would not let me go anywhere in the meantime. I must say I found the experience quite upsetting and somewhat humiliating. I was essentially treated in the same way a teenager suspected of theft would be treated.

Eventually authorisation came through, and I was allowed to continue.

... deep breath...

I am now in contact with management to try and formalise approval. The current plan is for me to go over probably next week and demonstrate the machine. Initial concerns over the phone were regarding the machine's top speed.

Hopefully, by demonstrating the machine's stability and precision, and that I'm a responsible rider with a medical condition, approval will be forthcoming.

My basic premise is that if electric wheelchairs are permitted in the centre, that I should be allowed to use the Segway as long as I follow any reasonable requests management has of me.

Ronny

---
Who said that you shouldn't get carried away on your Segway?

TiVoAussie
07-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Hi Ronny

Ooh, bad! Which shopping centre? Bondi?

Don’t worry, you’ve got to win on this one, it is clearly discrimination under the Disability Discrimination Act.

"Clause 7 - Disability discrimination palliative and therapeutic devices and auxiliary aids

This clause provides that a person is discriminated against on the grounds of disability if a person treats them less favourably on the basis that the person with a disability has a palliative, therapeutic or auxiliary aid. Such aids include wheelchairs, canes, hearing assistance devices, braillers and the like."

It doesn’t matter a hoot how fast it *could* go. Totally irrelevant from the point of view of the legislation. There is no doubt whatsoever that the Segway, as used by you, comes under the classification of "auxiliary aid"

Clair and I might be heading up your way in a few weeks, do you want to go for a ride? Be cool having three Segways together!

Remember a few weeks ago you were going to come down and do some control shaft swapping? Then the problem seemed to fix itself? Is it still going okay? Saw your post on the "hands free" but not yet the clip, sounds like good work, well done!

Cheers

Ron

There are a little over six thousand Segway owners!
There are a little over six billion people in the world!
We're two in a million! :)

billc
07-22-2004, 01:51 AM
Ronny,
let us know if you need anything in writing!

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University

ronzul
08-01-2004, 11:07 AM
This has all been sorted out now. Management issued me with a photo ID indicating that I use an "authorised vehicle". This all went quite smoothly, without difficulty. The only bad experience was the original one with the security guard.

Hopefully there will only be smooth gliding from now on...

Cheers
Ronny

---

legpain
08-01-2004, 05:46 PM
I have issue with this! So, if I come this mall I'll get the third degree because I don't have a photo badge?!! What they did for you hasn't helped the rest of us. They should educate their staff and permit ALL handicapped Segways authorization to use the Mall. Have they? Please, get Draft invovled!!!! WE ALL NEED ACCESS!!!!!!!!!

John

Sunday
08-02-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure DRAFT could help much on this one, since this issue is in Australia. Atleast the mall didn't erect a Segway proof fence down the middle of the complex:)

Mark

jrmiller
08-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Greetings to all, Ronny, I know this may be a bit of a rehashed idea, but do you haver a handicapped sticker like the ones used on cars? If so, reduce it about 50% and mount it to your CS. If this is observed by the mall cops I do not believe that you will have any problem in the future. By doing that to my HT I now have very few "stop and inquire" inquiries. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT

ronzul
08-09-2004, 10:18 AM
quote:I have issue with this! So, if I come this mall I'll get the third degree because I don't have a photo badge?!! What they did for you hasn't helped the rest of us. They should educate their staff and permit ALL handicapped Segways authorization to use the Mall. Have they? Please, get Draft invovled!!!! WE ALL NEED ACCESS!!!!!!!!!
I understand your concern John, but maybe I gave the wrong impression about my "photo ID".

The situation isn't that disabled Segway owners without a photo ID will be denied access. I wanted some written authorisation from management so that I would not go through the same situation with a security guard again. For someone without a photo ID, the chances are very small (but possible) that they will come across a "bad" guard.

Every security guard bar one has always been courteous and respectful when I explain why I use the Segway. The one guard with the attitude, now knows that Segway's are okay for mobility uses. There is a chance however, that security guards would change, and a different guard with attitude comes along the scene.

It really didn't occur to me to fight a more broader battle, for one reason... although there are a handful of Segways in Sydney, I don't know any other owner, and I don't know if any use it as a mobility device. So, for the moment I was only looking for a solution for myself. However, in the process, I have explained to many security guards the application of the Segway for people with mobility limitations, and gave demonstrations to management and the head of security.

I'm sure this has made the situation better for other Segway owners in the future that make use of the Segway as a mobility device.

Cheers
Ronny

---

jrmiller
08-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Ronnie...... Lets hear it for Ronnie, a big atta boy is due. Your demos will certainly open the doors a little faster for those who will certianly follow in your footsteps.....errr aaaa glide on your tracks. There we go. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

Adrian
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Ronny,

Sorry you had the problems with the security gaurd, very frustrating. I took my Segway on the trains recently here in Australia and went through the Central Rail Station with no dramas though I was stopped by security who were more interested in the Segway than it being a security issue. I have an artificial right leg and put my sticker on the Segway while I was "on the road". After the train station I went to a market with shoulder to shoulder people and the Segway was great with no problem moving with the people. I was again approached by security and the guard wanted me to stay put as well until she got some sort of authorisation. Although it worked out OK in the end she was pretty short with me until her boss said it was fine to ride it.

I agree very much with your statement "My basic premise is that if electric wheelchairs are permitted in the centre, that I should be allowed to use the Segway as long as I follow any reasonable requests management has of me."

take care

Adrian

ronzul
10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Adrian

Nice to hear from you! Apart from that one time, the shopping centre hasn't been a problem at all. I've been to Central Station as well (if you meant in Sydney), by accident actually!

I'm not always able to get the Segway on and off trains by myself, and had organised for platform staff to bring out the ramp at town Hall where I wanted to get off. Of course, this isn't a 100% reliable system, and no one came out at town Hall with a ramp. Before I knew it, the doors closed and we had left town Hall. So the next Station was Central...

And yes, the Segway is great even with shoulder to shoulder people...

Have you caught up with the other Segway owners in Canberra?

Cheers
Ronny

---

Adrian
10-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Hi Ronny,

No, not really. I have spoken to "Ron from Canberra" who has a Segway a few times but we have'nt managed to organise ourselves for a glide together yet. We must do that soon as I will be moving back home to Tasmania in the new year.
I use my Segway every single day now and find that its a great help with my mobility. I even use it to take the rubbish out with and trips to the local shops etc.

If its at all possible I won't ever be without one of these gems again.

Cheers Ronny

Adrian

hick
12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
To all,
In the Us, I have found that most malls or any large facility will question you about the use of your Segway. I am a 33 year old women, who looks very heathly, but need assistance walking, due to a congenital condition. If it were not for the Segway, I would be wheelchair bound in malls or large venues. After explaining my "story" and showing them the letter from my cardiologist that I use the Segway as a mobility device. In addition to the letter, I have placed a sticker on the front and back of my Segway, that indicates that I am handicapped. It is blue with a wheelchair. Let me say, as a 33 year old women, it is very hard to get people to understand that I am disabled. Most people think I am a spoiled brat showing off.
I even took my Segway to an American Hear Association walk this summer. It still amazes me how rude and ignorant adults can be. Clearly wearing the red hat, indicating I am a heart patient, I still got remarks that i was cheating or I should be in a wheelchair. My goal is to help society shift their think about what a mobility device is. Would you tell a person in a wheelchair that they are cheating? Or would you scream out the window from a car, to a person in a wheelchair "walk much"? All I want to do is help society readjust their thinking about what a disabled person looks like and what mobility decice they use. Is that too much to ask?

Segway City
12-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Hick: I feel your agony, as my wife is in exactly the same position as you. Despite wonderful advances in technology, many adults have never progressed beyond a 6 year old's mentality or perspective. In our cases, DRAFT is a wonderful support mechanism, standing behind (no pun intended) those who use their Seg to overcome medical conditions or limitations. Visit and join at http://www.draft.cc soon!

ronzul
12-10-2004, 11:33 AM
quote:Would you tell a person in a wheelchair that they are cheating? Or would you scream out the window from a car, to a person in a wheelchair "walk much"? All I want to do is help society readjust their thinking about what a disabled person looks like and what mobility decice they use. Is that too much to ask?
Hello Hick, I too have no visually obvious disability. Perhaps for all "thin skinned" Segway riders it is upsetting when people scream out obscenities at them. Probably for us mobility challenged, remarks such as "get off and walk you lazy $#!@" are more upsetting.

I think the truth is that I have become less sensitive to these comments and am more likely to scream something back, or give them the finger. Now I normally am a reasonably well-behaved person, and if you asked me a year ago whether or not I would be giving strangers the finger, I would have been quite surprised.

I think it is just that I feel less upset after responding back to comments when I have the chance to. I also came to the conclusion that although by nature I am sensitive to such comments, I shouldn't be sensitive. Why should I care what an ignorant stranger thinks if they don't know my situation? perhaps some of those people would have a completely different attitude if they knew why I use the Segway, and then other people are simply uncaring and would probably find something else derogatory to say

Two weeks ago was the first time I was essentially asked to leave a major store, and this was after explaining my disability but that is a story for another time...

Regards
Ronny

---

Nelda
12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Two weeks ago was the first time I was essentially asked to leave a major store, and this was after explaining my disability but that is a story for another time...

Ok, Ronny, not fair to tease! We need the REST of the story!
Nelda

ronzul
12-10-2004, 07:07 PM
quote:Ok, Ronny, not fair to tease! We need the REST of the story!
Nelda
LOL!

---