PDA

View Full Version : Segway or electric weelchairs

Pierre
06-29-2004, 05:54 PM
At the risk of being labeled crazy or worst, I am wondering about the difference between a Segway and a regular electric weelchairs.

I have asked the question to my local police authority and they don't see any difference either. Which means I don't need a special licence or insurance, no path are closed to me.
Life is wonderful on a Segway, Let's Gliiiiiiide.

Your comments are welcome.

The ride of your life

Florida Ever-Glides
06-29-2004, 08:56 PM
This thread has nothing to do with rentals or tours... Why is it here???

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

SegwayUtah
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Pierre,

This was posted (or moved) to the Rental forum instead of the Disabled forum accidentally. Pam, can you fix that?

If you go over to www.draft.cc, you will find a group of disability-minded individuals who are using the Segway HT as a "wheelchair" all over the world. It's truly amazing how this technology can benefit those of us who need it most for basic mobility.

Chris

Pierre
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi Tom,

I think it has something to do with running a rental operation. Why would a handicapped person be permited to ride anywhere with a Segway, but if you are a "normal" person now you need all kinds of permits, insurances and so forth.
Can someone explain to me.

Pierre

The ride of your life

QuadSquad
06-30-2004, 08:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Pierre

Hi Tom,

I think it has something to do with running a rental operation. Why would a handicapped person be permited to ride anywhere with a Segway, but if you are a "normal" person now you need all kinds of permits, insurances and so forth.
Can someone explain to me.

Pierre

The ride of your life

Why yes, I'll be happy to!
It's called the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act);)

Segway City
06-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Pierre: As a Canadian, you may not be familiar with the USA's law known as the ADA. It prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation. It also mandates the establishment of TDD/telephone relay services for the deaf.

It acknowledges, with the force of law, that folks who need assistance due to a disability will be allowed to use almost any device anywhere, even where "normal" (as you so eloquently put it) people might not be allowed to use the same device.

I'm not sure that there is an equivalent law in Canada. If your local police see a Segway as a motorized wheelchair (even for those without medical need), and allow them free access everywhere, that's wonderful. What the ADA does is to legally define how a police officer (or citizen) must treat a helpful device like a Segway so that, if you visit the next town over and the policeman there didn't like what he saw, you wouldn't be arrested or ticketed because a higher law over-rules his opinion. There's much more protection than that in the ADA law, but it's one simple way of showing how it might work in your case.

It's good to live in the USA!