PDA

View Full Version : emails sent to members by clicking on member name

RAG1247
06-11-2004, 06:54 AM
in the last 24 hours, both chris of segwayutah and I sent what we thought were private emails to members by clicking on their names in segway chat

several hours later we received emails indicating that our messages were unable to be delivered to segwaychat@bookofseg.com - the problem is that our messages were not sent to bookofseg. the only reason that this apparently happened was that there is something wrong with bookofseg.com

my question - are other blind cc's being sent to other addresses when one sends an email to another member by clicking on his or her name. If so,

THAT IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always assumed that sending an email by clicking on a member's name resulted in a private email to the member only - I now have my doubts.

I have sent an email to Frank and I assume he is checking into it

for further info see http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8149

At this moment, I have no intention of sending anymore emails to members by clicking on their member names since, at least from what happened last night, that blind cc's are being sent unknowingly to the sender to other addresses. the cc to bookofseg did not get through - however were there other bcc's that did get through???????

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

pam
06-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Well, this is the first time I've heard of it - It may just be a programming glitch (some line of code got hooked with another line of code accidently - it happens... there has been time when Frank has been upgrading the site that something has gotten unhooked in what I can do), it may have been a way to monitor the use of the email for spamming - which is against the rules and was a problem for a while.

Regardless, I doubt that PT is interested in the personal stuff... He's too busy, TBH, and out of the country most of the time. And he's not been active in either book of seg or moderation for quite a while, as we all know. Frank and I do most of the moderation, and Blinky helps, and I certainly don't get copies of your emails.

Don't know if this helps...
Pam

secretoftheeast
06-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Just so you know, I got the same issue as well, even though my message was received and replied to for sure. (the error email came days later)

RAG1247
06-11-2004, 08:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by secretoftheeast

Just so you know, I got the same issue as well, even though my message was received and replied to for sure. (the error email came days later)

thanks

the messages I sent were also received by and answered by the intended recipient - but I did not send copies knowingly to any other addresses

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

Sal
06-11-2004, 09:03 AM
I have had the same issue.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~sal1k/images/si2f.jpg

SegwayUtah
06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Creepy.

:)

Chris

wwhopper
06-11-2004, 09:52 AM
I too had the same issue I clicked - and thought I sent an e-mail to a new local member and it came back about 8 hours later.

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

SegwayUtah
06-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Richard,

Have you checked out the privacy policy on SegwayChat.com?

quote:3. License
By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service, you are granting SegwayChat.com a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to the information.

4. Limitation of liability
Under no circumstances, including, but not limited to, negligence, shall SegwayChat.com or its affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, SegwayChat.com materials. . . If you are dissatisfied with any SegwayChat.com material, or with any of SegwayChat.com's terms and conditions, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using SegwayChat.com.

So yes, making copies of private e-mails is completely within the bounds of the privacy policy. Even more, SegwayChat.com (is that an entity?) actually owns a non-exclusive license to use all of those private e-mails in any way worldwide without compensation or restriction, and disclaims all personal liability of such use.

Frank, we're getting worried. Please chime in before we all decide that this is all part of some government "Carnivore" system or something. Hee hee.

Chris

wayne
06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I get the same here.
Looks like ALL the e-mails are read by the moderators.

Frank, is that the policy?

Wayne

np
06-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Run this by me again, please.

Looks like ALL the private e-mails are (might be) read by the moderators.

Curioser and curioser.

quote:Originally posted by wayne

I get the same here.
Looks like ALL the e-mails are read by the moderators.

Frank, is that the policy?

Wayne

Deviant
06-11-2004, 10:50 AM
I'll throw my thoughts out on this as well.

I do jump to the conclusion that our emails are being monitored, and take great offense at that. If it is the policy of this board to monitor emails, then that information should be presented upon every attempt to send an email.

As for the statement that spam or unsolicited sales email has been a problem before on this board, I have my doubts. Early on I was all but accused of using this board's email to alert a dealer of my keymaking ability, when that was simply not reality. As the Kinks sang "Paranoia will destroy ya"

QuadSquad
06-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Another example of the conspiracy theorist run amuck!
I think that your time might be better spent worrying about who shot JFK.

What I can tell you is that for any of you to think that anyone associated with the administration of this web site has the time to view the e-mail which is sent to individuals is preposterous. Could they do it? Of course. But why on earth would they?

If any of you are sending information to each other using the e-mail feature of this web site, then you probably don't know each other very well anyway. What deep dark secrets are you revealing to someone who you don't even know their actual e-mail address? Come on, use your noggin!

The fact that those associated with the administration of this web site are willing to give of their time, and financial resources is astonishing, and I'm quite certain they have better things to do with their time than to try to glean some sort of information for them to use from the e-mail sent from member to member.

Computers and the Internet have glitches. Get over it!

Sal
06-11-2004, 11:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by QuadSquad

If any of you are sending information to each other using the e-mail feature of this web site, then you probably don't know each other very well anyway. What deep dark secrets are you revealing to someone who you don't even know their actual e-mail address? Come on, use your noggin!

Jerry, I know where you're coming from, but when many of us wantto contact each other for the first time, we find it useful and ONLY way to contact members by clicking on their name... After that hopefully when we have received a reply, we can continue correspondence via normal email channels.

I doubt people use SC as their primary email gateway for continuing correspondence with members they have already gotten in touch with, and in that case, if that is so, then yes, use your noggin'!

:-)

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~sal1k/images/si2f.jpg

RAG1247
06-11-2004, 01:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by QuadSquad

Another example of the conspiracy theorist run amuck!
I think that your time might be better spent worrying about who shot JFK.

What I can tell you is that for any of you to think that anyone associated with the administration of this web site has the time to view the e-mail which is sent to individuals is preposterous. Could they do it? Of course. But why on earth would they?

The fact that those associated with the administration of this web site are willing to give of their time, and financial resources is astonishing, and I'm quite certain they have better things to do with their time than to try to glean some sort of information for them to use from the e-mail sent from member to member.

Computers and the Internet have glitches. Get over it!

conspiracy theory

plainly put I communicated with someone by clicking their name and somehow at least one blind cc was sent - it is not a theory but a fact.

I don't care whether they read it, or not or have the time to read it, etc. I know one place where it was sent to, not at my request, and didn't arrive - I have no idea where else, if anywhere, it was also sent.

I state nothing of secret when I send such a private email, mostly out of being a quick way to do it. Beside most of my opinions and comments are openly posted.

your comments are certainly theoretical, since I doubt that you have any idea whatsoever of how this system has worked. If you have specific info as to how it does work please enlighten all so that everyone is aware.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Mr_Laurenzano
06-11-2004, 01:49 PM
I want a communication to be private for mine and the recipiants name only. Im not getting a copy of everyones email, we would have never known unless the server went down. I hope the problem is fixed.

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

pam
06-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Frank is working on it and has described the process in the other thread on this same subject. Not to worry, your private emails are not being read.
Pam

QuadSquad
06-11-2004, 02:51 PM
My apologies Richard,

Obviously I was unable to communicate with you effectively.

I was not suggesting that it was theoretical that the event occurred. What I was suggesting was the implication in this and the other thread that it was being done intentionally and that information was being collected.

I would suggest to anyone that the Internet is transparent. Privacy over the Internet is simply an illusion, there is none. Of course, the question is whether or not what you have to say is of such great interest to anyone that they would surreptitiously attempt to collect e-mail between you and another individual. There are ways to protect privacy, and I suspect that you know them. I would suggest to anyone that if they are concerned about the an e-mail message that they might send to another over this web site, that they simply e-mail them with their e-mail address and ask them to contact them directly.

I am sometimes amused that certain individuals on this forum seem to think that there is some shadowy figure lurking behind the scenes collecting information about them. For instance, you and a few others continue to harp about the dangers of not keeping SegAmerica independent of LLC and I always ponder the question of why?

What exactly would this accomplish, other than of course an organization that would be much weaker without LLC's participation than with it. As we have seen over the last year, individuals on this forum have come and they have gone. Individuals have risen to prominence, in terms of the number of posts or the content of their posts. Some of those individuals have chosen no longer to participate on at least a frequent basis. So without LLC's participation in SegAmerica, would it have the continuity that it needs to succeed?

So that's what I mean, when I suggest there are conspiracy theorists out there, and all I want to know is what do you think their motive is?

RAG1247
06-11-2004, 03:30 PM
quadsquad - no apologies needed

I fully understand how the internet operates

I do however believe in an independent organization and that sa should not in anyway be a mouthpiece for llc - sa imo must pay its own way. working with llc is fine, but taking their money, labor and some expertise so that sa can continue, is, imo, not the best way.

I also don't believe that the quantity of a member's post outweighs the quality of such posts.

in all forums, people come and go. the truth is that after having operated segways for 1.4 years and with nothing much new occurring, members drop off - you run out of things to say, notwithstanding that it is interesting to see the "next" group, bring up some of the same topics that we discussed months ago.

there is "life" beyond the segway

The addition of segamerica and other groups such as draft help to rekindle everyone's interest and result in renewed life.

even posts by disagreeing members help keep the site alive.

Frank has mentioned in another post that he is working on the problem and provided an explanation and that is good enough for me.

over the time that segway chat has been around we have had instances where people don't state their exact opinions because they are afraid of what llc might think

in any event, I will keep promoting the segway and its amazing technology and will be trying out my midnight blue i170 later - pictures at 11

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

SegwayUtah
06-11-2004, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

plainly put I communicated with someone by clicking their name and somehow at least one blind cc was sent - it is not a theory but a fact.

I don't care whether they read it, or not or have the time to read it, etc. I know one place where it was sent to, not at my request, and didn't arrive - I have no idea where else, if anywhere, it was also sent.

Jerry, Richard, all -- you all make good points. Anyway, Frank has publicly promised to stop making copies of all of our e-mails, so this issue can be put to rest.

Trust has been compromised, and since there is no transparency to the workings of this website there is no way that we can ever truly know that our private messages aren't being read by third parties.

However, not knowing was always the situation--and again, Frank has promised to stop making copies of the e-mails, and he has certainly been good to keep this <s>support group</s> site running for all of us, so I'm agreeable to trust him.

But remember -- especially on this, but also on all other websites, you should by default consider that any messages you write could be forwarded, mutilated, read, or even co-opted by others :)

The crisis under control. Good deal.

As I mentioned in one of my first posts on the subject, it was probably just a misguided attempt to deter SPAM. And hey, now we all know a little more about how the Internet works.

Thank you, Frank, for addressing that so quickly. (BTW, could you update the privacy policy to indicate that SegwayChat will in no way read or make copies of any e-mails sent through the private mail system?)

Chris