PDA

View Full Version : What do you do at Segway fest,?

andrewhanna
06-08-2004, 08:45 PM
I am new to segwaychat.com, I dont want to sound silly or anything, lol, but can someone tell me what you do at segway fest, I am thinking of going.

thanks,
andrew

pam
06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Hmmm, I think that somewhere there are massive amounts of photos taken at the last SegFest... MZOK might not have them still on the web, but he very thoroughly logged the event.
Pam

Matt
06-08-2004, 11:14 PM
What do you do at Segway Fest? Well, let me answer that!

Last year was great, but we will certainly eclipse that this time around. Segway Fest is the annual convention of Segway Enthusiasts. It is a gathering of Segway owners and other interested parties to gather, discuss, listen, talk, share, and inform about what they are doing in, around, and about the world of Segways. Segway is our major sponsor - they will be bringing a large entourage and will be undertaking a number of sessions (see the agenda) to talk to the cognocenti about batteries, design, maybe accessories coming out, perhaps plans for future models and a number of other things that we are still working out with them. We will have the Army's Fuel Cell Segway at the conference and Dan Sturges will discuss his concept for a Segway centered town (see earlier posts).

We are going to try to reprise the dance competition from last year and we have gotten the county to sponsor a Segway Polo tournament (see news and upcoming rules posted on the site on or around June 15th). We are also going to have a number of outings - one to Sanibel where we will have a motor coach and a trailer take up to 50 people and their Segs to the island where we can ride and pick shells for the afternoon. We will be able to go to one of the outer bank keys and see the conservation areas and the beach (oooh, riding on the beach). We are also sponsoring a scavenger hunt Saturday afternoon around the beautiful grounds of the Hyatt's resort. Actually, the Hyatt has welcomed us with open arms - we can use all of their amenities including rounds of Segway Golf on their award winning golf course.

For those who do not have their own machines or would rather not have the headache of transporting them, we will have a couple of vendors renting machines at the fest for reasonable amounts. Please check out www.segwayfest.com for updates (and to vote on the logos!).

Cheers,
matt

andrewhanna
06-08-2004, 11:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Matt

What do you do at Segway Fest? Well, let me answer that!

"Last year was great, but we will certainly eclipse that this time around. Segway Fest is the annual convention of Segway Enthusiasts. ......"

Cheers,
matt

Thanks alot matt, I really have a much better idea of what segway fest is now. I am most certainly going now, it seems to be very fun! And i live in Miami (only 2 hrs away). Mabey I will see you there,

Thanks,
andrew

Matt
06-09-2004, 01:14 PM
If you can get in touch with Opti660, he also lives in Miami and went to the fest last year. He could also give you a good description!

andrewhanna
06-09-2004, 02:30 PM

If you can get in touch with Opti660, he also lives in Miami and went to the fest last year. He could also give you a good description!

OK , Thats sounds like a great idea. How would I get in touch with opti660 from this site?

Thanks,
andrew

pam
06-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Click on Members at the top of the page. Go to the "O"s look for opti6600. Click on his underlined name and it will take you to his profile, from there you should be able to send him an email.
Pam

fathertime
06-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Andrew,
All of what Matt has told you is true, but apart from the fun and informative seminars there is one aspect of the Fest that outshines everything else...it's the people. One of the unexpected delights of last year's SegwayFest was the interaction of all the passionate people that are owners. They came from every walk of life and every persuasion but what united us was a common vision and uncanny interest in man and machine. There was a giddiness in the air and a very strong spirit of commeraderie.
Friendships were made that continue to strengthen to this day. I remember that a prominent dealer whispered to me that I would soon find out how influential our creation of SegwayFest would be on the future of LLC. I later found out that Mr. Ron Bills was in attendance and that he was meeting the enthusiasts for the first time, face to face. It is precisely this interaction that was so delightful...one to one, person to person, Segger to Segger!
What I'm saying is come for all of the activities but also come for the fun of meeting and gliding with all of the great people that will be at SegwayFest! 2004 in October.
And for those of you who have not met Dean you have a real treat in store...his enthusiasm and passion is contagious! I can also honestly say that I was delighted with the warmth and openess of the engineers..they made us all feel like one big happy family, in fact all of LLC's employees were a delight.
The swell of the wave that is starting to build under LLC and the HT is the surf that we will be riding come October. It's going to be a blast![^]:D:);)[:P]

JR

Florida Ever-Glides
06-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Every day I think about SegwayFest 2004 and all of the great people I'm looking forward to meeting. A weekend of friends, fun, education, and parties. What could be better.

Also, I look forward to going to learn from others and teach what I have learned so it's a win win for everyone...

Tom Jacobson

SegwayPete
06-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Tom
You forgot about the best part!!! The boxing matches in the bar with all the rental guys!!! Ha ! Ha!
Good to see you haven't given up on the forum buddy!
Cheers
The roving menace
Segwaypete

andrewhanna
06-11-2004, 06:35 PM
well, thank you everyone. I think I am going to go now! See all of you there. Hopfully I will have my Segway by then!

thanks,
andrew

terryp
06-11-2004, 09:15 PM

For those who do not have their own machines or would rather not have the headache of transporting them, we will have a couple of vendors renting machines at the fest for reasonable amounts. Please check out www.segwayfest.com for updates (and to vote on the logos!).

Matt -

I'm happy to hear that you've found some rentals, but I put my name on the list of people wanting to be notified, and haven't heard anything. Who do I email to reserve a couple machines?

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle

Matt
06-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Right now, the only two organizations who have commited to renting machines out at SegFest are Innoventions (Jim and I have a small fleet that we have been using at IIT with their HawkGlides rental operation (3 p's and 6 i's)) and a new, somewhat mysterious operation called Segway of Chicago. I don't really know too much about them, but I do know that they do not have their retail operation open yet but have signed on with Segway and have received their first shipment of machines, apparently they too have the Midnight Blue machines.

For right now, I am accumulating all of the rental apps and we will fill/dole them out. I am unfortuately really busy with a couple of non-segway related activities (one being my son's graduation from highschool tomorrow) so I am a little scattered. I promise all I will get back on top of it next week and get out the rental apps, the polo information, and some other updates.

Matt

PS - don't for get to vote on the logo! (check the site under the SegFest menu item).