PDA

View Full Version : P verses I for guided tours?

beckpm
05-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I have been reviewing all the web sites for rental and tour operations and find that the I model is used most of the time - I presume this is because of the greater range, greater load capacity, and implied durability. On the other hand, I have noticed that some operations have both the I and the P and some feature the P? Why would one use the P at all in a commercial setting with the I only marginally more expensive?

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

SegwayPete
05-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Peter
You and I have talked before!
I use "P" series machines for my tour operation.I go to great lengths in my manual to describe why they are better than the I series.(I have an "I" for the tour director). The cost of the machines has nothing to do with decision. There are many other considerations. The primary reason people are using "I"s is that they weren't available when the "early" adopters fired up. I got my machines (don't ask)6 months prior to the release of the "p"s to the public. I am extremely glad I went this way.
For more info... buy my manual!!!!
Regards
segwaypete

Florida Ever-Glides
05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Peter,

There are many limitations set on the P model that 90% or more of the rental/tour operators use the I over the P. Weight,speed, charge life are just a few. Not to forget that the I is better suited for handle a variety of terrain. The P is fine to use under certain circumstances, but I would only have 20% of my machines as P models and the rest I models.

You've been on my tour, and I hope that you agree the I model worked excellent in all circumstances. Some of us have 'I' brains and some of us have 'P' brains.

If you need any more info you may e-mail me directly, you don't have to buy my manual.

Tom Jacobson

SegwayPete
05-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Here we go again... the Sarasota dodo aka geriatric tour operator.
Why don't you fly up to DC on your nickel and turnkey the whole operation for him on the house!Bring a snack and you can ponder all the issues at the reflecting pool.
How many P's do you have Tom????
Funny how all these guys(who are only after free info)turn to honest Tom after I have talked to them. Others recognize that some things in life are not free! Those individuals whom I am currently turnkeying their business for up north understand the BIG picture.
When their season is up.. I'll be deploying their machines into Florida venues. Sarasota was not on my radar screen but now it is!!!!
Speaking about eating someone's lunch... I can't wait!!!
Signed
The menace P brain Segwaypete
PS. Keith... I hope you are finding this entertaining!
Cheers

Stewbonz
05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Both the P series Segway and the I series Segway have their advantages.
Anyone interested in starting up a Segway Guided Tour business can email me if they need my advice. Free of charge, of course.
It ain't rocket science....

Rule #1 Have fun. Don't be a jerk.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Florida Ever-Glides
05-24-2004, 07:43 PM
SegwayPete,

With all do respect, I don't give away my business model because it is unique, as yours is. But, I will always assist to make sure any new business operation is conducted in a safe manner. You say that you have not had a single insurance claim, I think that is great. We may differ on our business methods, but hopefully we share the same goal in responsible tour/rental operations. If we do, we're on the same page.

Sarasota is a unique location. There are a great number of 'older' residents and visitors. They do require personal attention, and our tour reflects this.

You are welcome to aim your radar on Sarasota. But remember, this is the same population that you have been ridiculing on this chat site for several months. Nobody, including the Sarasota Mayor (who is my friend)or any of the fine citizens would appreciate seeing these chat threads. It could have a huge impact on your success here. They demand the highest degree of due care towards their residents/visitors and the responsibility is seriously taken. Your previous chat threads unfortunately don't share the same virtues. It's all in your chat archives.

If you will post a topic on the 'value' of your manual information, maybe we will all see what expertise you have to offer. I have been skeptical only because you have shared not even a glimpse of its contents.

We are all open-minded segway enthusiasts. I think we all share the goal of LLC growth and success, as well as our own. Pete, let's stop picking on each other and find a common ground. I've never meant to point any fingers at you, I just take safety very seriously.

Tom Jacobson

beckpm
05-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Wow! I didn't intend to re-ignite WWIII! I intend to operate a micro-business version of some of the great tour business models I have observed. The location will be in the DC area and I will limit tour size to a very small number because I believe that Safety is more important than any of the other considerations. I am going to do this as a "retirement business" and my goal is to do a little better than break-even and have lots of fun. I have talked to many of you and you all have been helpful. I plan to retire at the end of this year and my wife (who retired three years ago) seems to think I should find a hobby (she goes to art classes - segway related days seem more fun to me).
I have met some of you and look forward to seeing you all at the October event in Florida. By the way, I am a professional facilitator and have worked with government and commercial clients in conflict. I agree with Tom - let's put this on a higher plane - I would be happy to facilitate or mediate any part of the rental forum at SegwayFest that needs such help. By the way, I am not after "free advice" - I have owned and operated businesses before and have had my Segway for about a year. If it makes sense to buy business proprietary information or align with someone, that is what I will do.

I appreciate the information on I vice P: The idea of a mix is interesting and one I have not considered.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

SegwayPete
05-25-2004, 12:59 AM
You're right Thai guy.. it ain't rocket science... but I fail to see how you can advise I's or P's when you don't conduct your biz with P's
There are many reason's why P's should be chosen but I prefer to share that rationale with new entrants I do business with.My manual is empirical data that has been compiled by my experience in the field.It's not based on how I feel. I'll swap logs with anybody that thinks they have had more time on a seg than me! There are about six more reason's to my rationale insofar as the P vs I debate and if I told them to you... you would undoubtebly say Oh yeah... that makes sense!
Tom my sensibility is also about safety.. but at the end of the day.
I'm still a businessman. Its ok to be passionate about the product without sucking up to LLC. Get it though your head..They don't care!
In fact they would make your grandmother a dealer if they thought she could move units.There is a new mindset internally.
I agree with Larry and yourself that the best thing we can do on a go forward is create a common voice that hopefully will be heard.
When I say on my site..Turnkey... I mean it. The value of the "entire" package that I sell more than offsets my fee.I've cooked the hamburgers, burned myself a couple of times but I believe I have, maybe not the secret recipe but a damn good product that I am willing to share with others...but not for free.
Peter.. as to the retirement gig... trust me ...(ask Tom)you will never work harder in all your life(7 days a week). I am just figuring out how to work "smarter" in this biz,which is what I'm busy laying pipe for right now. But that's another story... however it is an approach that I share with those that do business with me.
It really bugs me when info that I busted my chops to acquire(and not necessarily the right info)is given away by others.
Peter.. you and I talked last fall... I would have thought you would have been up a going by now. Whats the problem.
Quit bitting your nails and fire up!!!!
If you need help...Tom will probably help. As for me.. I charge!!!
But think about this... How warm are those Segs going to keep you next winter when you are staring at them in your garage!!!
Ill put them to work 4 u and send you checks. Capish
Best Regards
The Menace

Stewbonz
05-25-2004, 02:10 AM
Pete, I think your father may have setup the swingset a bit too close to the house?

By the way I do use both model Segways.
The I series are a much better choice as described in Toms post. There are alot of potential customers above the 200lb weight limit of P Series. The "I" can handle a variety of terrain, has more range and is more robust.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/youngjarvis/detail?.dir=/7d3a&.dnm=Ancient+City+Tour+Thailand.jpg

My friendly advice is free for the asking.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/