PDA

View Full Version : Segway Trademark?

Dawn
09-14-2002, 06:42 AM
Hi.

Admin: I don't think this is off-topic because it has to do with the Segway comapany.

Isn't Segway a trademark and if it is can this website use it without permission or do you have permission or are you just hoping they don't care?

Not trying to cause trouble, just an honest question.

Casey
09-14-2002, 08:03 AM
Admin may or may not respond to this, but I'll give you my opinion.

First, how many forums have you visited on the internet? I participate in several. Almost all are named for the vehicle or item being discussed. Would you be questioning "ToyotaChat.com"? How about HarleyChat, or maybe WinXP.org?

I am confused at your reason for even bringing up these concerns unless this is the only forum you have ever visited.

Dawn
09-14-2002, 11:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

Admin may or may not respond to this, but I'll give you my opinion.

First, how many forums have you visited on the internet? I participate in several. Almost all are named for the vehicle or item being discussed. Would you be questioning "ToyotaChat.com"? How about HarleyChat, or maybe WinXP.org?

ToyotaChat.com and winxp.org do not resolve for me, "page cannot be displayed", do you get something different? Rick at HarleyChat.com has a harley tat on his shoulder:
quote:
American Motorcycle Classifieds is not affiliated with the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company except that I own a Harley and have the HD logo tattooed on my shoulder.

Does Admin have a Segway tat?

Seriously, is Harley looking the other way or have they given permission?
quote:I am confused at your reason for even bringing up these concerns unless this is the only forum you have ever visited.
Clearly your attempt to insult my web browsing experience is misplaced as you fail to understand trademark law.

don c.
09-14-2002, 12:06 PM
At the bottom of the homepage are found the words: "This site is not affiliated with Segway LLC."

Casey
09-14-2002, 12:08 PM
http://www.toyotanation.com/

http://www.nissanforums.com/

http://www.gmforums.com/

http://www.hondashadow.net/

charmed
09-14-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm no lawyer, but I have noticed that online publications routinely use the Segway logo in their articles as a hotlink to the Segway website. I have noticed this with other logos and companies as well.

Is this a huge problem?

Dawn
09-14-2002, 12:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by nocanfly

Don't you worry Dawn
I don't appreciate your patronizing tone.

quote:Originally posted by nocanfly

Segway LLC has no problem with this site. I wouldn't be suprised if they were supporters. As Casey mentioned there are tons of chat sites that use company's names in their domain.

Sounds like you don't know for sure. Do you have a legal opinion?

Dawn
09-14-2002, 12:22 PM
I'm not saying that manufacturers do not sometimes allow the websites because it is in their interest, but it is within their rights to control their marks. The question was just whether you the site has explicit permission or not.

Just curious.

charmed
09-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Hi Dawn,

you write, "Sounds like you don't know for sure. Do you have a legal opinion?"

I would ask the same of you? Do you have a legal opinion? Are you a representative of www.sueit.com?

I think you raise interesting questions, particularly since there are ramifications and instances throughout the internet. I do think, however, that your thread belongs in the off-topic section of this site. It pertains more to website design than the Segway.

Dawn
09-14-2002, 12:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Hi Dawn,

you write, "Sounds like you don't know for sure. Do you have a legal opinion?"

I would ask the same of you? Do you have a legal opinion? Are you a representative of www.sueit.com?

LOL, rep of sue-it. Do I sound that irrational? No, I am not a lawyer, nor have I consulted one directly. I have done a little of my own research on the topic for my own purposes and tried to make a friendly inquiry out of curiousity here. I am not trying to start any sort of trouble, really, I appreciate the website.

segwaychatadmin
09-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Dawn,

Thanks for your inquiry. I cannot comment or provide advice regarding your question. If you are looking for examples of *other* sites that contain a word from a trademark and have successfully remained in operation despite legal battles to cease and desist (initiated by the trademark holders) please visit:

MicrosoftSucks.com
aolSucks.com
GeorgeBushSucks.com

There were some serious efforts to kill those domains. Didn't work.

Again, I can't comment on what type of permission we have to use this domain. Thanks for your understanding.

- Frank

Dawn
09-14-2002, 07:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by segwaychatadmin

Dawn,

Thanks for your inquiry. I cannot comment or provide advice regarding your question. If you are looking for examples of *other* sites that contain a word from a trademark and have successfully remained in operation despite legal battles to cease and desist (initiated by the trademark holders) please visit:

MicrosoftSucks.com
aolSucks.com
GeorgeBushSucks.com

There were some serious efforts to kill those domains. Didn't work.

Again, I can't comment on what type of permission we have to use this domain. Thanks for your understanding.

- Frank

I am not trying to be argumentative and am satisfied that you have answered my question best as you can. However, for your own edification, I believe the "sucks" sites are protected under free speech and are not considered to be a confusing use of a trademark because they are clearly NOT of the trademark holder. I suppose with the appropriate disclaimer, and as long as you aren't making money at this, the same may be said for this site, though the area is bit more grey. Best of luck.

segwaychatadmin
09-14-2002, 07:33 PM
Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. Thanks for the advice :)

Looking forward to seeing you in the Segway Forum!

- Frank