PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE ON HELMET REQUIREMENT!!

Segs4Legs
05-21-2004, 04:06 AM
"One small glide for me, one giant glide for Segway-kind."

OKay, that's a bit hammy.

But my boss stopped me today to inform me that Corporate has decided to go ahead with the 2 week trial of using the Segway at work WITHOUT A HELMET!

I know some of you said to use it just for the advancement of the Segway, but I was still in negotiations and with my mulish nature, not about to budge anyway.

Of course now I'm nervous and self conscious and wonder how it will be useful (it will on days when I have to walk a lot, which is often). I will have to step off of it on occsion to retrieve books down low or way up high, and when carrying more than the little basket can hold, etc.

I don't want it to be a distraction, I don't want employees to be annoyed by it, I don't want people coming in just to see it. I don't mind answering questions about the Segway, but I have grown very tired of answering questions from nosey people about my condition. Seriously, I would NEVER ask a stranger what happened to them, what was wrong with them, why they use a cane! But people seem to think it's okay to ask me anyway. (I should start answering, I hurt my foot kicking someone's ***!) No, no, I try to behave, but I see handicapped people all the time, people with missing limbs and with scars, and I would never approach them to ask them why, how it happened etc.

I have a small 3x3" blue handicapped sticker on the bottom front of the Segway, which shouldn't be neccessary but I have found that people automatically assume it is being used as a 'wheelchair' when they see that.. makes it less of a conversation piece maybe?

Anyway, wish me luck. The 2 week trial starts after Memorial day, for the first 2 weeks in June. Then reports will be sent to corporate on how it went, before a final decision is made.

Anyone know how a Segway holds up with on & off use, slow movement around a store, for 4 hours? (some starting and stopping, some temp. parking)? Can they stay ON for 4 hours?

Thanks for your support,

Shawnee

Bill Keil
05-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Good luck, I think you will enjoy gliding indoors. I have used the segway inside an office building for 2 hours without turning it off, you should be good to go for a long time. When I glide into a building I usually take off my sunglasses and helmet and move very slowly. When I go into an elevator I just glide straight to the back and let the 12.0 bag rest on the back wall of the elevator. When I need to get out I just spin in place and pull forward out the door. It really is fun riding in an elevator especially if you can get one all to yourself and just spin and spin in circles while it goes down, almost like an amusement park ride, very dizzy by the time you reach bottom. Anyways, good luck and enjoy!
Bill

Sunday
05-23-2004, 01:05 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble with the HT being on for four hours. From what I've seen, they do very well when ridden at slower speeds. Last year, when Chris brought up his machine to let me have my first ride, we rode up and down Main Street Park City for quite a while, after having given demo rides in a parking lot earlier that day.

People are always asking me about my'condition' also. I think people are just curious, and want to help. It's funny how they often know someone with a similar condition. And they always ask the question "isn't there some surgery or something?" I just smile and explain the biochemical reason for my 'condition,' and go about my life, wishing that I had a Segway so I could escape faster!

Mark

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

Segs4Legs
05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have used my Segway inddors many times. I've taken it into the mall, into a museum, and into grocery stores. Sometimes I have commuted on it and on the way home, stopped at the big grocery stores for a soda or a small amount of groceries (I have a handlebar bike basket on the Seg) I've also stopped at a big department store and gone clothing shopping on it, those tight aisles between the clothes on sale rack: not a problem when I moved slow enough. Sure got some looks with several shirts and skirts draped over the handlebars while shopping!

The bookstore is laid out where I don't think any area looks particularly inaccessible.

Incidentally, I had not before revealed the bookstore chain, but since this has so far "passed", I will. It's Borders.

I know I ma going to feel very self-conscious on it and draw attention, but I hope that that passes and I'l be the fastest bookseller in the west. ;)

BruceWright
05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
LEt us know how it goes!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

defenbaugh
05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes, keep us posted. We are all interested in this "trial."

Ron

Stewbonz
05-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Last weekend I had an indoor demonstration at a convention. Giving free demo rides, the battery lasted 8 hours.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

X-man
05-30-2004, 07:21 PM
I've shopped in a Border's on mine. Also a department store (Carson Pirie Scott), Jewel foodstores, Dominics, Treasure Island, etc. I even it to the theater.
No sweat, you can do it.

Bob
Now - about those promised extended range batteries....