PDA

View Full Version : Segwow - Tours & Rentals in LA

fredkap
05-16-2004, 02:33 PM
At the Beverly Hills Art fair yesterday, I was expecting to see Sydney a 20 y.o. who uses her seg for her mobility. Talked to her parents and then a little bit later I saw a young guy with advertising plastered all over his Seg for SEGWOW which can be seen at http://www.segwow.com

He was not really aware of Segwaychat, was aware of the new Santa Monica dealer and is doing tours all over but not necessarily with the expertise of Everglides. Hope he does a good job. He did succeed in getting himself asked to leave the art fair. I am concerned that if he doesn't do a good job that I may lose access to places that I now feel open to glide to. Change is happening. We have been hoping for more gliders, now that we are getting them, will we be happy?

Anyway, Lakers won last night...life is good!

-Fred

gotseg
05-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Check out the "Buy back offer" for 3000$. Great idea, but couldn't you get another 1000$ selling on ebay?

Guess if its realy that much of a hassle... gives Segwow an easy 1000$ profit.

http://www.giguphosting.com/gotseg/gotseg.gif
segless and looking

Florida Ever-Glides
05-17-2004, 08:37 AM
We are about to be deluged with a large number of new rental and tour companies popping up all over the world. Unfortunately only a few will do it right. This is because they only see the potential of making a lot of money, quickly, and don't really care if they are doing it a few years from now. I talk to these guys every week and as soon as I start talking safety and long term, they go back focusing on the almighty dollar.

I'm trying, one at a time, to have these new start-ups keep it safe and fun, but it seems that it is too much work to do it right. Yeah, it is. But in the long run, it's worth it.

I have recently contacted my insurance company and sent them a set of 'safe' criteria to require in any Segway related business operation. They were grateful because they had no idea how a 'correct' operation should behave. I hope that this will help make rentals/tours a little safer in the long run. The survival of the HT on a mainstream basis may depend on it...

Tom Jacobson

segwow
05-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Hello, I am the "young guy" and the founder and owner of segwow.com. Thanks Fred, although I didn’t think you looked old enough to be calling me a young guy, so maybe we both look young for our age. Could the Segway be keeping us younger looking? Good meeting you over the weekend at the Beverly Hills Art Fair. (Fred demonstrated his expertise by borrowing my Segway and immediately jumping off the curb and not an especially low curb).

Fred, I think you may have misunderstood- I am well aware of Segwaychat, as my reply here obviously indicates, but up until now have not posted. I tried joining months ago, but chose not to when I learned of the requirement to shut off Internet security software for the sign-up, and have since been a reader only. As I am being directly referenced, I felt I ought to join and respond.

I believe your friend Sydney was at the show- a Park Ranger told me of a female with a disabled placard. I was hoping to meet her, although I did not see her myself.

By the way, the advertising on my Segway consisted of two 8-1/2" x 11" cards facing front and back- I don't think particularly excessive, but certainly visible, which was the intention. Can't say I would describe my Segway as being "plastered" by advertisement and would prefer to think of it as an effective display. And half of it was information about the Segway, answering in advance the questions people most often ask.

I am more than aware of the new dealer in Santa Monica (Segway LA) and established a business relationship with them before they even opened their doors on May 1, 2004; I have already worked with them and intend to be working with them in the future.

As far as any concern over my doing a good job- I believe in doing something exceptionally well if it's going to be done at all. Our website (segwow.com) should provide some insight into the thoroughness of our operation, especially the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section.

One important point: I was NOT asked to leave the show! To the contrary, I was told by a Park Ranger that I was welcome to access the sidewalks and areas throughout the show, but if possible (not required) to avoid the areas that were the busiest with people and art. The show’s director had expressed concern about a Segway in certain areas. Between all the art displays strewn about and people, even I have to admit there were a few areas where it would be a bit crowded for a Segway, and I was avoiding those limited areas anyway, however, there was still plenty of territory to cover with the Segway.

The same Park Ranger who made the request let me know he was asking on behalf of the show's director, but that he himself saw no need for concern and was a big fan of the Segway. He had attended a demonstration of the Segway for the City of Beverly Hills and knew all about it. I later spoke with the lead volunteer liaison, and she too saw no need for any concern with the Segway at the show. We had a nice chat and she happens to work in the gerontology field and was interested in knowing more about the Segway for seniors. I wasn't able to find the show's director in time, I had to leave; I wanted to demonstrate the Segway to put him at ease, but perhaps next time. (The show is held twice a year). Overall, it was a very positive experience at the show and I will be returning next time with a Segway.

Regarding our Buy Back offer- it includes free return shipping (and purchasing through us also includes free shipping). The offer is designed for the convenience of those who want an easy return and may not have the interest or ability to sell it themselves. Setting aside any tax, having a Segway for up to two months will cost the buyer about $1500, if returned to us for $3000. We offer it as a purchase incentive for those unsure if they will want to keep the Segway and for those who know in advance they only need it for a limited period of time.

Long range success of the Segway and safety are of the utmost concern to us, and we are committed to forging the path for the Segway in the Los Angeles area and informing the local population to better understand the Segway. Ignorance leads to discrimination. We have already accomplished first entry into many locations, with permission sought and acquired when necessary. Without exposure and education, broad access will not be achieved. More gliders, as long as they are aware of the task at hand, should be helpful. We intend to help. Already, we have given hundreds of people their excited first look and ride, and thousands of people have seen the Segway in action as a result of our presence.

Axel
segwow.com

Florida Ever-Glides
05-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I appreciate your desire to place rider safety first. Continue to represent the HT in a responsible fashion and your business venture will be a success...

Tom Jacobson

fredkap
05-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Axel - Welcome to posting on SegwayChat! Everything is relative...I'm 53, I bet you are in your 30's, I never have any advertising on my machine...I would notice a 3 X 5 index card let alone what you had and I'm not used to seeing a Seg in the wild. I was most shocked to see that you are running your tours exactly where I have been gliding for the last 14 months. You aren't doing anything wrong, I just was very surprised to meet the new guy on the "block."

I did meet up with Sydney and had previously seen her parents. Syd was born with a rare neurological condition that left here with no sense of balance. Prior to her Seg she used a medical scooter and everyone knew she had a disability...on her Seg, people can't tell that she has any problem.

The curb jump was just an easy way to show you that I knew what I was doing but I'm sure that I startled you. Sorry. Good luck with your biz.

Fred