PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Wheels for Segway?

cbstock5
05-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Has anyone seen a segway with "spinners"??? For a joke i was thinking about buying a set of the Walmart hub cap spinners and fastening them to the Segway wheels. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear a few pointers.
thanks again

SegwayUtah
05-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey, if you do it, and you don't need them anymore, would you want to sell them? :)

Well-designed "spinners" hubcaps on a Segway HT would be fun, although I would want to take them off most of the time.

Chris

CzechRide
05-14-2004, 10:34 AM
cbstock...

The kids I share the HT with often ask about spinners! If you get some for your HT, grab a few pics so I can share them. High school kids often want to know how much weigh the HT can handle...for the speakers they would like to mount! :) Just wait...it will happen!

Karl
Motown SEG

"Align yourself with those that will make you better."

ions82
05-15-2004, 03:44 AM
The smallest size I saw on eBay was for 14" wheels. Someone could probably modify them to fit a Seg. Only 40 bucks for some mad bling, yo.

vanclute
05-15-2004, 06:28 PM
OK, forgive my ignorance and total lack of awareness of current pop trends... but what the HELL are spinners??? =)

J

Dwarf84396
05-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Spinners are basically hubcaps that are seperated from the rim by a set of ball bearings, so that this cap rotates seperatly from the wheel. It speeds up due to friction, so you could be stopped but the cap could still be moving.

Ben

My entire internet experience condensed into one little image:
http://ben.runslinux.net/img/smileys_lurking.gif

gotseg
05-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Basicaly, when you pull up to a red light it looks like your still movin.

http://www.giguphosting.com/gotseg/gotseg.gif
segless and looking

vanclute
05-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Ahhhh ok then... I did see those on a truck once and it completely freaked me out. I caught the movement in my peripheral vision and thought that the vehicle was moving, and my brain screamed "ACCIDENT!" as all my muscles tightened in preparation for having to make a quick move of some kind. Then I realized the wheels weren't actually turning, just the crazy hubcaps. Really annoying actually. Heh...

J

Segway City
05-17-2004, 03:28 AM
If I can get Archie out of the shop tomorrow, I'll post a picture of him with his spinners. I'm building a trailer in front of the shop door, so it's tough to get an HT out right now.

The hard part was figuring out the mounts. I ended up with spring steel inserts that grab the insides of the scallops of the wheels. They pull off and push on easily. They don't seem to mar the wheels much, a few light scratches that clean up with a Scotchbrite pad, probably not at all if I used a bit more care going on and off. The 'caps have to be outside spinners, as no clearance is available underneath. And plastic works best since they have to be trimmed down some.

Archie's had his on for a couple weeks, first as a goof, then I began to like them. They do make it seem a bit wide-tracked. I've since found a better style, so the prototypes are available if anyone wants them at $50 a pair!

BTW- I named my HTs to keep them straight in my head. Archie is the customized show off HT.

KSagal
05-25-2004, 05:39 PM
I re-engineered a set of inexpensive ($50) spinner caps. All it took was braising a union nut (Looks like a nut that is about 1.5 inches wide, that accepts bolts in from either end like a turnbuckle) to the lug nut.

I used a 3/8 thread, so the union bolt was slightly smaller than the lug nut. Install the lug nut with a deep dish socket that fits over the other nut that is attached. I then removed the spinner from the hubcap (15 inch) and attached it to the new hub. Works like a champ.

Karl Ian Sagal

KSagal
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Correction...

It worked like a champ, but then the weld let go. It was tenuous to start. I had done that while I was away on business.

When I got home, I simply drilled and tapped the lug caps for the wheels to accept a 3/8 bolt from the outside. (Made it from a cap to a nut) and have the chromed spinners on bolts that hold them out from the wheels for clearance.

The spinners that I bought had a chrome hubcap and a spinner. I took the spinner off the cap and mounted that directly to the nut mentioned above. In this manner, the spinner is backed up against (optically) to the black wheel for effect.

Karl Ian Sagal

pam
06-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Pictures, pictures!
Pam

KSagal
06-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Pam,

I'd love to post pictures of this item (Spinners) and of the lighting system that I designed and installed, but my account on this site does not include the ability to post a photo album. If I could impose for that opportunity, I would have photo's on line.

For the lack of having that particular ability, I'll have to teach myself how to post photos to these threads...

Karl Ian Sagal

Segway City
06-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Karl: Send me an email with your photos attached and I'll host them for a while.

I sent Dallas Pool at GyroGlide a set of proto spinners earlier this month, so spinners are active in La Jolla, too! I have since gone to a cheap plastic Chinese version that, after some trimming, fits inside the scallops as if they were supposed to rather than on top of the wheel rim. That brought the width down a bit, but the plastic is of lesser quality. Forgive the cheap cell camera pix:

Current:
http://12.162.163.166/images/Spinner_Rear.jpg
http://12.162.163.166/images/Spinner_Side.jpg
http://12.162.163.166/images/Spinner_Front.jpg

Early:
http://12.162.163.166/images/Spinner_Early.jpg

The purple glow in the early is a blue TyreFly valve stem LED.

Anybody interested in an auction of a set on eBay?

KSagal
06-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Seg City,

Thanks for the offer, but your profile only offers access thru this system. (Check my Profile, it includes an AOL address)

I could not send photos to you either.

I am fully aware of the fact that it very well may be that I am ignorant of what every one else is aware of.

For several months I appealed to the moderators and hosts of this site to contact me and help me post photos that I would like to share. (L.E.D. and Neon lights, spinners, etc.)

No one has even responded.

I thank you SegwayCity. Even though I still don't know how to post a photo, at least someone offered a bit of assistance.

Karl Ian Sagal

Segway City
06-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Karl:

To post a picture, the picture has to be located on a server on the internet somewhere. That location is the URL (http://www.somenetwork.com/mypicture.jpg), which then can be included in your post using "forum code". When your message is posted, the picture is automatically downloaded from that URL and displayed in the message. If you "attach" the picture(s) to an email to me, I'll put them on a server and send you the URL for your message posting pleasure.

ZoliHonig
06-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Karl, check out image shack:

http://www.imageshack.us/

[8]-Zoli[8]

KSagal
06-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the help ...

I'll be experimenting soon...

Karl

Karl Ian Sagal

KSagal
06-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Segwaycity was very nice to me and posted some photos and a short video for me.

The spinners (and my kids & I) can be viewed at the following link.

On one of the photos the red and green accent neon strand lights are visible, but I am having a problem getting a good photo of them at night.

When I do, I'll post same.

The short viedo is indicated, but I am not sure if it survived...

Thanks again for all the help.

The files can be found at http://12.162.163.166/ksagal.htm

Thanks again, SegwayCity!

Karl Ian Sagal

Segway City
06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Anytime, Karl, and for any SC member. I'm not the greatest page coder so, while the spinner video is there and available to download and view locally, I wasn't able to get it to load and play on a viewer click.

Zorba9
06-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Great pics Karl! Like the "scalloped" flame effect on your spinners. Looks like your youngest child could ride in one of the cargo bags!-:)

KOG

Zorba9.....

Sal
06-29-2004, 11:10 AM
That has to be the most people I have seen on one segway... I concur with Zorba, put a few pillows in the side bag, and there you have it, a side car for the coolest baby in the world! ;)

Like how many clowns can get into a beetle, I wonder if there will be stunts as to how many people can stand on one Segway at Cirque du Soleil or something like that.

-Sal

Think Different / Answers that Matter
www.apple.com / www.lilly.com

KSagal
06-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks Zorba,

She is too young to talk but loves to glide and makes herself well understood. My 4 year old rides with the olde' Man too, and is the toast of the neighborhood. I may soon be responsible for more sales due to the peer presure of the local four year old set demanding it of their fathers!

Now that the ice is broken, I hope to get photos of the lighting on soon.

Karl Ian Sagal