PDA

View Full Version : Ruggedness

TruBluCwgrl
05-10-2004, 05:27 PM
My grandfather is a rancher who recently had a stroke. He hates the fact that it takes him so long to walk places but he's nervous about if the Segway would be practical for traveling on the ranch. I gave him the address and phone number for a store near him but I was hoping someone had experiences they could share. Thanks! Jenny

SegwayUtah
05-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Does he have the capacity to shift his weight around, and motor skills? You should go over to draft.cc (or contact member QuadSquad). I'm sure he'll have some good insight.

I have used my HT on grass and dirt and all kinds of terrain. It is amazing. There are some "enhanced traction tires" you can buy as well.

Chris

BTW, where are you located? I bet a local SegwayChat member would be more than happy to give him a demo, and see if it would work for him. He'll want to test it out on the pavement first, to get comfortable (although some people are comfortable even before they get on!), and then work his way up to going on the grass/dirt/etc.

Chris

Okeechobee Wind
05-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Cowgirl, it depends on your grandfathers desires and remaining functions. There should be no problem to glide over to the barn or around the yard. I don't see a problem running around in a barn or even in and out of the stalls. It depends on what his routine is. I do not know what your layout is but if it was me from past experience I could glide to the highway and pick up the mail or paper. No problem in traversing the property around the house or out on a dirt road. A leisurely glide down the drive to the stables and around the pens would pose no problem either this of course after a little trial and error period with companionship till his seg legs took over.
You can fill in the blanks from what I previously mentioned. It is worth a try and if he does not use the Segway all of the time, I am sure the HT will be put to good use. It could save a lot of time on a spread. I think the HT would allow him to do more of what he is accustomed too and allow him to run around a lot more not having to spend all the energy walking. Those lengthy distances are what knocks you out.
JMHO,
Jimmy

Sunday
05-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Be sure to check out the topic on knobby tires recently posted to the general discussion area. The topic is tiled 'Got Knobs?'

Mark

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

BruceWright
05-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Linda Lazarus, who has MS, uses her Segway to bring in the animals on her farm.

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4073

Here's something she said in a different thread, it may give you an idea of how useful Segways are off-road.

quote: I have ridden Seg through the dirt roads on my farm and then veered off onto rough leaf covered dirt roads through the woods on my farm and around our ponds. The road is pretty rough although there are no steep hills. I plow through tall grass/weeds easily and handle the slight bumps created by tree roots,etc. I have not had a single problem and have had the opportunity to find wood ducks on the ponds and track the deer through the farm. It's so damn lovely....Linda

This is someone with MS. If your grandfather can handle the Segway, the Segway can handle the ranch.

(I would get him the off-road tires, however. Just to be extra-safe.)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

defenbaugh
05-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Jenny, Bruce is correct. The Segway will handle anything you can reasonable throw at it. There are studded or cycle tires that would help as seen on other threads. I have a webpage concerning off-roading that might help http://www.defenbaugh.org/basicweb/Segway/segway.htm

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

TruBluCwgrl
07-19-2004, 05:59 PM
It's been a while since I posted this, but I wanted to thank everyone who responded. I plan on relaying this info to my grandfather (he's not very computer friendly) and hopefully it'll help him in his decision. At least this gives him an option. Thanks again!!
Jenny