PDA

View Full Version : GyroGlide Excursion Rentals opens in La Jolla

gyroglide
05-08-2004, 05:18 PM
GyroGlide Excursion Rentals has opened in La Jolla to rent the Segway HT by the hour!

Opening in March of 2004, GyroGlide is now ready to announce it's opening to the Segway Community. GyroGlide provides each customer with through training in our training area. Customers are also provided helmets, and instructions on handling the hills in La Jolla.

GyroGlide places a premium on rider AND pedestrain safety!

More information on our location and operations can be found at www.gyrogliderentals.com. To reserve a unit, call 858-729-0171.

President and Director of Marketing for GyroGlide Excursion Rentals. www.gyrogliderentals.com

Segway City
05-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Interesting. Is this the same group who was looking for insurance info a while back but wouldn't give a location???

gyroglide
05-08-2004, 08:07 PM
No, we are not the same company.

President and Director of Marketing for GyroGlide Excursion Rentals. www.gyrogliderentals.com

Stewbonz
05-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Hi Gyroglide, Best of luck with your new venture. Web site looks good.
I'll be curious to hear how the equipment holds up, turning them loose with customers.
I've been doing guided rides only and the equipment is doing fine so far with little wear. I'm a bit scared to let them out of my sight.
Keep us posted.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Segway City
05-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Great! Congratulations on opening, and best of luck!

Florida Ever-Glides
05-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Jeff,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I wonder what the age range is?

Tom Jacobson

gyroglide
05-10-2004, 03:21 PM
To answer the previously posted questions...

The equipment is holing up well, with only minor scrapes on the fenders from going up and down curbs. The only unit which has broken, I broke... I had a pit bull off a leash take out after me and while trying to avoid him I caught a curb, bailed off the unit, which then fell and broke the handlebar.

As for our age requirements... it is our policy that children 12-21 AND over 100 lbs MUST ride the unit in the presence of a RENTING adult. This ensures that the adult will be with the child at all times.

Matt
05-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey Gyroglide,

Can you let us know your name? It is hard to discourse with folks with titles, but no names. I think that would relax alot of the latent hostility that you are receiving on this thread.
That aside, I am asking all rental organizations whether they would like to rent machines out at segwayFest in October. I am aware of about 50 folks right now who would like to be able to rent machines for the 3+ days they are in Florida. In general, it would cost someone $75/each way to ship their machine and there is a $65 freight handling fee at the hotel. Therefore, if I am going to hsip my machine, I will need to spend $200+ and not have use of it for 2-3 days on either side of the Fest. Thus, $250-300 would be a reasonable amount to pay for rentals on site.
We need to require that all renters have insurance that meets the hotel's specifications. If you might be interested, let me know.

gyroglide
05-11-2004, 06:03 PM
My name is Dallas Pool, I am the President and Director of Marketing for GyroGlide.

SegwayPete
05-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey you guys its the roving menace..Segwaypete
Now Tom... you should be all over these gyro rocket scientists.
I don't believe it. Let's send 12 year olds out with adults in a bare rental scenario. NEITHER ONE OF THEM KNOWS HOW TO RIDE !!!! All that will be accomplished is there will be two bodies at the car/segway accident scene. I'm glad you guys.... including the Segwow cowboys are all on the west coast.It only proves a theory.Years ago they tipped North America and everything that was loose rolled to the west coast. Also "what's with the pricing models...???? Are you nuts???
Have a party boyz!!!!

gyroglide
05-26-2004, 11:50 PM
In response to SegwayPete's post regarding GyroGlide Excursion Rentals policy:

Our policy, which allows for riders between the ages of 12 - 21 to ride with a renting adult, is was implemented with two strategic thoughts in mind.

First, The Segway HT is NOT a difficult machine to learn to operate safely. Due to its intuitive control, 90% of riders learn to ride the unit effectively within 10-15 minutes. Since we limit the unit to the 6mph black key, the units are made even safer.

Second, an adult is required to rent and ride WITH the minor at all times. Our customers have no second thoughts about this policy, because they understand that the child will be safer while in their presence. Also, since this is a family outing, the parents are inclined to rent with their children. Each rider is informed that THEY are responsible for their actions... AND the actions for the minors under their supervision.

GyroGlide Excursion Rentals has been open for approximately 3 months now, and we average about 20 rentals a day. We have had NO accidents resulting in injury, or incidents of any kind durring this period.

I would like to repeat, GyroGlide places a premium on rider AND pedestrian safety!

While I value your opinion, I feel that your concerns are unfounded.

SegwayPete
05-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Three month's eh!
Just wait
So let me get this straight.... You can go over to Iraq,Vote,
drink beer and drive a car ...but... you still need to be with someone who is twenty one to ride off into the sunset on a seg!
Duh! If you think 90% of the riders quote"have it" after 15 mins. you are wrong.The fact that you let people go off on thier own is scary!
I hope nothing happens... but I dare say something will!
Good Luck
Segwaypete

gyroglide
05-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Pete,

Tell you what, send your 21 year old son to Alamo or Enterprise Rent-a-car and have them try to rent a car in Texas... (not sure about other states).

In Texas, a 21 year old woman may rent a car alone, however, a male under 25 may not. Also in the majority of states, yet not all, the legal age limit for drinking is 21.

Life is full of these rules and regulations. And what confuses me is that your opposed to a 21 year old age limit and feel that we should allow them to ride.

On the other hand, you seem opposed to allowing anyone to ride even with the training we provide.

I cant please everyone, and it appears that I cant reassure you. But thats ok, because we have sent hundreds of people away happy.