PDA

View Full Version : What drives Dean Kamen ?

Seeker
09-13-2002, 08:47 PM
I thought it would be interesting to devote a thread to discussing a bit about the human side of Dean Kamen.

What motivates this man to engage in projects, many of which have the intent of ‘Changing the world ?’

Here’s one psychologist’s perspective on how the make up of Kamen’s personality contributes to who he is and what he does :

“One of the defining characteristics of giftedness is entelechy, a term derived from the Greek word for "having a goal." As described by psychologist Deirdre Lovecky, "entelechy is a particular type of motivation, need for self-determination, and an inner strength and vital force directing life and growth to become all one is capable of being. ”

http://www.talentdevelop.com/Page2.html

This article focuses on ‘eccentrics’ and what makes them tick.

What qualities do eccentrics possess, which enables them to accomplish some outstanding things ?

Seeker

n/a
09-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Interesting topic and article Seeker.
quote:What qualities do eccentrics possess, which enables them to accomplish some outstanding things ?

Kamen I believe is motivated by a number of things. He loves his work. He thrives on seemingly impossible challenges. He wants to make a difference in the world, even to change it through his inventions and vision. He is a humanitarian. He may ofcourse have some less nobler motives like power and more fame. But that is ok.

As far as him being an eccentric, it depends on how u define it. He wears the same clothing because he thinks very functionally about clothing. He doesnt dress to make an impression. He loves technolgy so he fills his home with inventions that facinate him. He rejects off the shelf values. He doesnt try to fit in. He lives by his own philosophy. He doesnt take holidays because he is having too much fun doing what he is doing. He doesnt see many films or watch TV, so he doesnt know what the pop-culture is up to.
Kamen is one of the few people that dares to live his life as he sees fit. If u know what he believes and what motivates him, his behaviour is not odd or wierd.

Podkletnov
09-13-2002, 11:55 PM
He, the Dean, is interesting.

ftropea
09-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Although I don't know the man personally, and I try not to characterize him, I think he's motivated by a drive to succeed at anything he puts his mind to.

I think he thrives on challenges and just wants you to tell him he can't do something. Then he's off... and you'll be proven wrong.

- Frank

Seeker
09-17-2002, 02:48 PM
I agree Frank. I find Dean Kamen's philosophy to work and life, to be a refreshing one. There are many naysayers in the world who are quick to point out flaws in new ways of thinking or novel methods of doing things. It takes a persitent and creative thinker who can look past the barriers, and who insists, 'It can be done, we just have to find the right solution.'

Of course making IT fly...is a whole 'nother topic ;)

Seeker

Seg-wager
09-17-2002, 03:30 PM
I don't know but he is engaging and refreshing!

4Seg
09-17-2002, 10:56 PM
And let's not forget his real passion, FIRST (www.usfirst.org)

If we could only be resellers...

See the Segway clips! http://www.stlsegway.com/movies

Dreamer
09-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Wow....
A forum without juveniles....refreshing.