PDA

View Full Version : Post Segway 04 Carnival Cruise from Tampa

wenbias
04-29-2004, 01:20 PM
My hotel and registration for Segway Fest 2004 is all nailed down and today I have booked a 7 day cruise from Tampa, just to extend our time in Florida. It leaves at 4pm on Sunday Oct 10th, which I know cuts the Seg activities a bit short, but nothing in Florida departed on the 11th. Posting this in case other Gliders driving to Florida might be looking to extend the vacation a week. Today was a "one day" sale, but you know how that goes. I have a mid-ship cabin with picture window assigned with all fees included for less than $700 p.p. If you want to go interior cabin or take "run of ship" I'm sure you can do better than that. I have never been on a Carnival ship and have always been reluctant to go because of the reputation for "young people's ships," children etc. With school in, it shouldn't be a problem. Regarding the Segway - #1 Carnival operations doesn't recommend taking them aboard. #2 It would be "security's call" when going through the entry scanner. #3 Use aboard ship would be minimal or not allowed. #4 Might be able to use them on the shore excursions that were not tendered. My opinion is that most of this thinking comes from lack of information. If everyone had ridden one, they wouldn't have a problem with it. On the other hand, if 20 of us have them on board to give demo's, it might be fun, or a problem, depending on crew attitude. There is a covered parking lot across from the dock in Tampa. Anyone interested should call Glen Noval at Carnival, 800 919 3902 Ext.82317. Mention my name and maybe they will give me a bottle of cheap wine! Also mention your desire to have a Segway aboard! See you in Florida. Carol and Wen Bias

Burke
04-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Wenbias, Janice and I had our Honeymoon cruise on Carnival to the Caribbean many years ago and it was the best vacation we had ever had! OK, it was our honeymoon and our first cruise, but we have been on two others since and we still think our first was the best. We had a miserable time on our Mexico cruise (10th Anniversary) on Princess Lines and have since taken another Carnival cruise to the Western Caribbean and thoroughly enjoyed that one except New Orleans was our last stop and, unfortunately, was only for the day, not an evening. Let us know how the Segways made out on the cruise. One of the reasons they may not like it - you would be more likely to tour the ports on your own instead of booking $$$ tours from the ship.....It would be fantastic if you get away with it though. Good luck..

Dick and Janice

macjeff
08-25-2004, 12:26 AM
After they said it was fine months ago, segway called us today and told us they have banned Human Transporters onboard but Scooters or Electric Bikes/mopeds etc are ok. My wife is disabled and they said they dont care. The legal department considers all Human Transporter devices to be unsafe.

I even explained we could bag them and only take them out at port but they said no.

My attorney is working on it. The problem is to get our money back and to sue them we have to be denied boarding so we may have to try it and see what happens. But my wife refused a wheel chair and said if my segway does not go then we dont go!!!

Jeff

Sal
08-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Jeff, keep us posted. Denying the disabled from a form of transport is totally wrong, and audacious.

We're pulling for you both!

-Sal

Think Different / Answers that Matter
www.apple.com / www.lilly.com

woodenapple
08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Jeff - Be sure to contact the folks at DRAFT (DISABILITY RIGHTS ADVOCATES FOR TECHNOLOGY). They can probably help. The link to their home page is on the left side of this page.

Rodney