PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Staples Center

poohbear
04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Last week my husband and I went to a hockey game at the Los Angeles Staples Center (Kings vs. Sharks). We buy a game-pack each year. This is the first year I switched to wheelchair seating, because my MS is making it difficult to hike up and down the stairs. I had talked to my account rep a few months ago, and he had spoken with Staples' ADA rep. I was told that the segway would be treated as a wheelchair, and I would be allowed to enter the premises without a problem. However, they asked me to check in at their guest-link office, and they would probably trade me for a wheelchair to use while actually viewing the game. I didn't think this was too unreasonable, but just hadn't gotten around to actually testing the policy. I really just wanted to expose them to the segway and get them comfortable with it.

Wednesday, March 31st, I finally glided in on my segway. The usher at the door blinked at me, so I told her that I had been told the segway would be treated as a wheelchair. She said "Oh!" and guided me to the wheelchair entrance. I was scanned as usual, and my bag was inspected --no problem-- just the usual "cool" remarks. I then made my way over to the Guest Link (guest services desk) and presented myself. They asked if I minded parking it there & trading to a chair. I said I was willing if they thought it was really necessary. They called the head usher, and she came over to look at it. Since I have a p-series, it was much smaller than they had been imagining, so they decided I could just take it to my seat. Since the wheelchair row is on it's own level, surrounded by a glass rail, I was able to just lean it up against the rail at the end of the row. This made for easy access and when I got restless during the 3rd period (Kings were having a bad night), I glided around the Staples Center and talked with other employees I met. I also went back to Guest Link to offer one of the attendants a demo, because I noticed he looked like he wanted to earlier but didn't seem comfortable leaving his desk when so many people had been around. He jumped at the chance, and really seemed to enjoy himself. I told him that now I expected him to report back to management how totally safe the Segway was for future users. He eagerly agreed and thanked me for the demo.

Honestly, most of the time it is just easier to let my husband push me around there in a wheelchair (which is really more comfortable than the folding chairs they provide anyway), but it's nice to know I have a choice now.

-poohbear

SegwayBill
04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Poohbear!
[u]You Go Girl!</u>

Bill

BruceWright
04-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Awesome!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

Florida Ever-Glides
04-06-2004, 11:46 PM
poohbear:

Great attitude and great Segway ambassadorship...

Tom Jacobson

jonabear
04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi PoohBear,

I am JonaBear -Jonah Steinhaus- 60 yrs, from Sherman Oaks. Rehabbing from a stroke 2 yrs ago. I was right-handed, now improving. Aphasia I have and hard to speak funny because I used to
psychologist.

Typing is hard but my mind is sharp even though you can't see it. Any way, Segway may be good for me. My question...is it only a glorified shopping cart? No disrespect intended.

THANKS,
Jonah

jonabear
04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi PoohBear,

I am JonaBear -Jonah Steinhaus- 60 yrs, from Sherman Oaks. Rehabbing from a stroke 2 yrs ago. I was right-handed, now improving. Aphasia I have and hard to speak funny because I used to
psychologist.

Typing is hard but my mind is sharp even though you can't see it. Any way, Segway may be good for me. My question...is it only a glorified shopping cart? No disrespect intended.

THANKS,
Jonah

fredkap
04-14-2004, 09:47 AM
I've e-mailed back, either Bruce or me would be glad to demo.

Fred

jillmac
04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Poohbear - congrats! It is always to hear good reports where the Seg has been accepted.

Johah - definitely NOT a glorified shopping cart. I too have MS but am pretty mobile most of the time. Stamina really sucks though - along with increased numbness etc. if I try to walk far - oh - and balance problems. Segway has truly opened up all sorts of things for me and it is such a pleasure to be out in the sunshine enjoying mother nature instead of sitting behind the wheel of a car. I don't use my Segway as much as a lot of folks but for short journeys around town it is wonderful.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who