PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer Off-Road Tires

Zorba9
03-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi All!
My website is up and running. I've made a few changes and will make a few more as time goes on. My accessories page will be fully functional soon.

http://off-roadsadventure.com/

I've travelled the country in the last few months from Segway LLC in NH, to the west coast, back to the east coast, down to Florida, then back home here in Mississippi. I've met many of you fellow SCers and spoken with many more of you on the phone. Great Bunch-one and all!

For those that don't know me and what I do----
Zorba is my name - Off-road Segways are my game!

The Mountaineer (studded Segway HT extra-traction tire) is my best all around off-road tire. Fully half of my "beta" testers bought their off-road tires before/after testing was over! They work! If you have any interest in getting off the city streets and sidewalks, these tires are for you. Ride your Segway into a totally new dimension. Segways aren't just for city dwellers anymore, they are for everyone- campers, hikers, hunters! Try'em, you'll like'em!

KOG
(Keep On Gliding)

Zorba9.....

defenbaugh
03-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Dan,

You've got mail. I emailed an accessory order, I hope. Having trouble with me outgoing mail, but I think you'll get it. If not let me know.

Ron

Edit-If there are any doubters out there about the Mountaineers, I can verify they work. Click here http://www.defenbaugh.org/basicweb/Segway/segway.htm

BTW Dan, Nice website.

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

Okeechobee Wind
03-28-2004, 04:35 PM
I have to say I was not happy with Tech TV's version of the Segway's capabilities.
I use my Seggy on a daily basis over conditions far worse than those shown to be able to stop a Segway's forward movement(wet leaves). With my 260 lbs there has never been a problem whether on a sand beach, grassy mud or damp forest conditions. This is not to say that a true adventurer will not encounter Segway stopping conditions around every corner or over the next rise.

I spend at least ten minutes of my day while gliding explaining to someone that, it is not the norm to fall off or over on a HT. No you wont fall over. It balaces itself just like the space station or a Volvo SUV.
What I remembered most of the Tech TV short was watching the operator fall over the handlebars. It was a rear angle on the famous presidents’ Segway ride, which we all hear about on a recurring basis. I even have to explain that for the good of Seggy's everywhere.

I am positive about what you are doing. The Tech thing just lends fuel to those who want our beloved HT’s to be something dangerous and capable of hurting others as we run out of control and fall into the crowd with gladiator tires spinning.

Yes I have eaten dirt while learning the do’s and don’ts of off roading. I just do not think the uninformed public is ready to see these antics till every one of them has had the opportunity to try a HT for themselves and form a personal opinion.

JMHO,
Jimmy

Zorba9
03-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Yikes Jimmy!

"The Tech thing just lends fuel to those who want our beloved HT’s to be something dangerous and capable of hurting others as we run out of control and fall into the crowd with gladiator tires spinning."

What crowd are you talking about? I think "all in all" the Tech TV short was a positive portrayal of what off-road Segging really is. You CAN fall! You DO fall occasionally even if you are profficient at it, if you keep pushing the envelope! To me thats part of the appeal, to go where no Segway has gone before. It's a BLAST! You like it yourself! (I hope you've got some extra-traction tires at least)-:) That short clip on Tech TV showed the world that Segways CAN do other things besides roll down the sidewalk. Sure Neelix slipped and jumped off, but it looked like fun tho, pushing the envelope with something new!

Zorba9.....

Okeechobee Wind
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Zorba, I appreciate the fun you are having and the entrepreneur spirit that has arisen.

When it comes to pushing the envelope, why not.

The problem arises when the majority of the public has no idea what a Segway is or what it stands for. HT’s are on the correct track but just a few incidents can change the entire setting for what the public thinks. They are confused as to the difference with the Q. Most do not realize there is a difference. I have days when dozens if not more persons come up to me and start with “I thought those things where recalled”. Many say Segways are dangerous and fall over whenever they can. I especially love the ones who talk to children or family member about the Segway as if they understand what they are saying when all along the rhetoric is for my benefit.
Up until this past week I have operated a HT-I on the Disney property (NOT IN THE PARKS accept for the tour) for the past six months. This has allowed me to have quite a bit of contact with people from all over the US, Canada and the entire world for that matter. To sum it all up, most do not have a clue and the ones who do want one.
You would not believe the questions. With your travels you may. The number on way to start a conversation is they tell their family out loud so I can hear that that there thing has been recalled. They than proceed to gather family members out of the way incase it falls over. (Picture this, I could ware my leathers and roar through the crowds with gladiator tires kicking up sparks as I used their children for pillions. That would push the envelope at WDW.) This is my que to politely interject the truth into the conversation and direct them to NEVrland for further input.
My reason for enjoying my HT is the fact it allows me to travel where I normally cannot because of various physical malfunctions. My work as with many others is to get HT’s allowed everywhere so as to make life easier for many. Your job is to just get HT’s anywhere, just because they can. :) Jimmy

Zorba9
03-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Jimmy- I give you alot of credit. I don't think I could do what you do all day long. A constant barrage of questions and remarks from a teaming mass of tourists?? I'ld go nuts! Give me the peace and solitude of a "deep" pine forest any day, just me and my Segway (and deer rifle)!

Now, about going "postal" at WDW-

"I could wear my leathers and roar through the crowds with gladiator tires kicking up sparks as I used their children for pillions"

Where did you want me to send the Gladiators to again?-:)

KOG

Zorba9.....

defenbaugh
04-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Dan-Got the skid plate. Looks good. AOL doesn't like my ISP. It keeps sending back my email, so, thought I'd contact you this way. Hope you got my letter. KOG, Ron

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

Stan671
04-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I have tried Zorba's Mountaineer tires and they truely are amazing! On off-road surfaces, they really do bit into the ground and give traction that has to be experienced to be believed.

I have done stuff with the Mountaineers that I would not even think about with regular tires and probably would not even try with the Segway ET tires.

I have gone through soft snow, hard packed snow, dry gravel, muddy gravel, wet grass, hard dirt, loose dirt, thick sticky mud, really wet mud, etc.

On a home-made motocross track near where I work, I have gone up & down steep inclines, around banked turns, up and over a series of whoop-de-do's, plowed through 3-4 foot high weeds, etc.

And I never fell at all and felt quite confident the whole time that the tires would not slip. Of course, I was always careful the first time I encountered a new surface. But after I tested the tires capabilities, I would able to get bolder with each pass.

Congratulations to Segway for putting those stud holes in the ET tires and to Dan for creating a business and useful service to Segway riders by filling those holes with little metal things. <grin>

Stan Dobrowski