PDA

View Full Version : Event: Asheville, NC 2004 Parade ($100 TO YOU)

qblack1
03-19-2004, 11:02 AM
LAST CALL to join a huge Segway Precision Team! Currently at about 17 Segways!!!! Come on down and join in...

Segway precision team forming for Asheville, NC 2004 Holiday Parade.

$100 stipend per Segway rider!

Oncology practice in Asheville, NC has made an entry to the local Holiday parade for Saturday November 20th, 2004 (afternoon). The entire county turns out for this great parade in the breathtaking mountains of western North Carolina.

We are paying $100 cash to each Segway rider who wants to be part of perhaps the first Segway Precision Team of its kind. We are assembling a Segway “precision team” to accompany our "float"(which will have inspiring cancer survivors from the local community as well as lots of music). The Segway team will glide along around the float and perform a simple and fun routine (very easy to learn and perform). It should be and great time, with lots of crowd support! Just bring your Segway! This should be a lot of fun and only take a day or so.

Please contact Quinten Black, MD at QBLACK1@yahoo.com if you might want to participate.

IndyFIRSTengineer
10-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Wow Quinten,

That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you get your "team" put together. Unfortunately I am already obligated that weekend, or I would consider it. Of course a 7-8 hour drive (each way) might be a bit much - especially since I have just recently put in enough solitary drive time (getting to/from SegFest) to last me for a while.

Good luck, and please keep us posted - video would be much appreciated!

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

Stan671
10-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Quinten, in your behalf, SEG America sent EMails with your message to 27 of it's members that are located within 100 miles of your location.

Stan Dobrowski

wwhopper
11-01-2004, 10:22 PM
This was quite the topic of conversation at our October Glide. Sounds like a number of DC SEG members will be there!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

Segway City
11-22-2004, 11:27 PM
We went, we glided, we enjoyed! Not a whole lot of precision with just a few minutes practice, but we were without a doubt the most unique entry in the parade.

Nothing but smiles and wonderment were seen in the passing crowds as 16? HTs mounted by (not so) tiny antlered reindeer brought up entry 94, spontaneously breaking into various flights of precision Segway fancy as they proceeded along the route. It was by no means a coincidence that entry 95 comprised several large Volvo bucket loaders, should there be any reindeer droppings left in their passing. It was rumored that Diane Sawyer was in entry 93, as the words "Good Morning America" were heard repeated again and again as the team passed by.

TV coverage was abundant, many high fives were seen and demos were provided to the masses afterward. 'Twas great!

wwhopper
11-24-2004, 07:00 PM
We have photographic evidence of one of our gliders arrested on the interstate!

Looked like a blast!!!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Just recieved My SEG AMERICA Pin - and love it!
Taxation Without Representation here in:
Washington, DC, USA

Segway City
11-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Local TV news investigative reporter interview with Quinten:

View: http://homepage.mac.com/qblack1/SEGWAY/iMovieTheater118.html
Save as link: http://homepage.mac.com/qblack1/.Movies/PARADE2004.mov

Local TV coverage as entry 94 passes the review stand:

View: http://homepage.mac.com/qblack1/SEGWAY/iMovieTheater119.html
Save as link: http://homepage.mac.com/qblack1/.Movies/PARADE2004B.mov

IndyFIRSTengineer
11-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Fantastic video, fantastic routine, fantastic media coverage, and fantastic Segway visibility ... Great job - I loved it! (could you tell?) I wish I could have participated. Hopefully this is just the first of many.

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

qblack1
11-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the support. Already planning next years parade... Next time though we will definitely post a video of the routines and email a schematic. Everyone was great, but we spent the entire day learning the routines, then lots of waiting, then the parade. We could probably cut it down to a 4 hour event for everyone. Perhaps we will get even more participation! Not that we were lacking though... at last count we had 16 Segways in the parade. Who would have thought we would have two extra riderless Segways (total 18 Segways in Asheville on parade day). All in all a great success thanks to all of the great Segway enthusiasts that made the trip (Hats off!). Hope it was worth it for everyone. Perhaps next year we could take the quotes off of "Precision" in 21st Century Oncology Segway "Precision" Team

New parade media link with all video and other links at top of the page:
http://homepage.mac.com/qblack1/SEGWAY/

Many thanks,
Dr. Q