PDA

View Full Version : Questions -Considering a Segway for my father

kpeterellen
03-18-2004, 12:38 PM
My father has limited mobility because of a heart condition and currently walks with a cane because of some minor balance problems - good days & bad days. He would love to get out more and is very social, so the lack of mobility is killing him.

I am trying to look into a Segway for him to try, but we are in the Cleveland area and I can't find anywhere that he can try it first to see if it works for him. How did you know it would work for you before shelling out $4K? Is there something/someplace I am missing in my quest for info and demo opportunities?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks, Ellen

SegwayUtah
03-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Ellen,

The following SegwayChat members are in Ohio:
johnpowers located in Elyria, OHIO
Scotty located in St. Marys, OHIO
Cruzan Glider located in Dublin, OHIO
Island Girl located in Dublin, OHIO
Wilmer located in Columbus, OHIO
va164488 located in Kent, OH

You can e-mail them through the "Members" section and see if one of them would be good enough to give your father and you a short demonstration.

My experience is that just about everyone who thinks they could use a Segway does wonderfully and loves it. The hardest part is often getting off the Segway HT and going home without one :)

For disabled use of Segway HTs, see http://www.draft.cc. While your father isn't super-disabled, he will surely enjoy getting out more, and maybe even being able to get around (like in Wal-Mart, etc.)

The Segway HT changed my life in a lot of ways. For people with limited mobility, it can change their lives in even bigger ways.

Chris

Novato
03-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Ellen,
I just met a women in California using a segway for mobility given her hart condition. She has been elated at the new found freedom, and has had no problems adapting.

My wife has MS, and her experience has been similar. She has poor balance and fatigue but she finds it takes less energy to stand on Segway because it balances for her. She can stand on it for about 30 minutes before she needs to sit for about 5 minutes to rest. (she getting stronger)
We were fortunate enough to have a short demo (thank you Jerry and Fred) before we bought a model P, but the real clincher was an endorsement from poohbear, an owner with symptoms similar to those of my wife.

It was the best 4K we every spent.

Best of Luck.

Roger

jillmac
03-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a perfect match for your father. I hope you find somewhere you can try one. It certainly has made my life so much easier.

I posted on the main board today how I used it at a local parade (didn't take part - it was for non motorized vehicles). It was crowded, very hot and busy. Seqway performed flawlessly and I had a great time.

There is absolutely no way I could have attended without the Seg.

I have balance problems from MS and some other related problems, but Segway has truly changed a lot of things for me. I can guarantee your father will make new friends too!

Good luck.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who

fredkap
03-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Ellen,

The only concern is if he were to fall. Many of our users have said that they fall without a Segway...what would be the difference. Others have brittle bones and a fall would be terrible. Careful users don't fall but like many things in life there is a learning curve.

Best regards,

Fred

kpeterellen
03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I really think a Segway would help him get around more and I will search further for a way to get him on one. It's kinda weird that Segway doesn't have demo availability in all the major markets.

Fred I appreciate your thoughts on the risk of falling - that would be devastating. That is the main reson I want him to try it first.

You are a great group of people - Segway is very lucky to have such a devoted following. Ellen

jrmiller
03-24-2004, 01:19 AM
Ellen, I have Parkinsons and some balance related concersn. The only way I new if a HT would work was to have a demo. No one with Pakinsons had an HT so I was on my own. Celebration in FL was my closest dealership so I went and demoed and I purchased. You may be closer than you think to a store or outlet. Brookstone stores found in many malls are now selling Segways and most have a set-up for a demo for serious potential buyers. Check you phone book or the www. on the internet for a close location. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you both. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT :>)

jillmac
03-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Ellen - as far as falling - it is something I have done fairly often on my own two feet. I have permanent problems from several of the falls.

My balance off the Seg is bad at times (not so bad at others). I also get true vertigo very easily.

The closest I have come to falling was on my first 'long' glide. Someone called out to me and I made the mistake of turning my head and glided into a flower bed! Fortunately I didn't actually fall, nor did I do any damage (apart from my ego).

One of the key (excuse the foreshadowing pun) issues for me was getting a custom key made. I found the speed of the red key was great but the abrupt turning was very scary. I had Deviant (from this forum) make me a blue 'red' key that goes as fast as the red, but turns as slowly as the black. It is an absolutely perfect match for me.

I chose an alternative color so that others wouldn't get mixed up if they rode (my son uses it some weekends and if definitely a red all the way). Also - I didn't want to pick up the wrong red key by mistake.

I hope by now you have got closer to getting a demo ride - your fathers life will really change if he gets one. It gives you back freedom that you thought you had lost for good.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who