PDA

View Full Version : Segway goes to San Francesco

Novato
03-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I am please to report that my wife, a glider with MS, took to the streets of San Francisco without incident.

We made the trip downtown to see the Lion King, only to find the area around the theater blocked for the annual St Patrick’s day parade. No problem, we simply took out Segway a.k.a. Zippy and started an eight block glide to the theater. We were not half a block from the parked car when a concerned citizen informed us that, “those are illegal here.” We politely explained that the office of the mayor had granted an exception for disabled users. For the next two block, the gentleman walk along side and explained how upset he was about the ban, pointing out that electric scooters and bikes are a much bigger concern. Our Segway was the first he had seen, and he marveled at my wife’s control.

The path to the theater took us past several Police officers on parade duty. Stopping potentially illegal Segwayers was not a priority, and we got little more than a curious glance. At the theater we found the usual attention and positive feedback. The staff was very accommodating.

After the performance, we glided down Market St. and past city hall. (I sure wish I had a Camera). From there we walked/glided another 5 blocks to dinner.

Segway made the day. It transformed my wife from a disabled in a wheel chair user to an empowered pedestrian. She glided up and down the steep hills with ease, and skillfull navigated through a crowded theater lobby with a vantage you don’t get in a chair. A trip that would have previously been a logistical nightmare was a pleasure. By the way,and the play was great to.

A special thanks to those that fought for disabled use of Segway in SF. We are looking forward to our next glide in down town.

Florida Ever-Glides
03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Great Story! I hope that there are many more to come from individuals with medical assistive needs. It's too bad the Segway cannot be marketed as such by LLC.

Tom Jacobson

fredkap
03-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Roger,

I think you understand the special delight I have in being a "lurker" in your family's life. Were it not for Jerry (QuadSquad) and I eating breakfast in the same restaurant as the two of you, and especially Jerry's ability to connect with you, most likely you would not be enjoying these new adventures. I wonder how many families are like your own that have no idea that this machine exists and how it can transform their life. Be well and have many great adventures.

-Fred

BruceWright
03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
FANTASTIC story.

What a wonderful bit of news. Thanks to Jerry and DRAFT for leading the way!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream