PDA

View Full Version : Qantas /New Zealand Segway Friendly

rbrick
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
According to the Qantas staff I was one of the first Segways they had seen. I carry my prescription for my Segway but refuse to post a sticker on the machine. At first they wanted to disconnect the batteries but being armed with all the documentation helped avoid that. I gave a lot of demos to the counter clerks, managers and more important --- THE BAGGAGE HANDLERS. Although I stowed my Segway in the cabin for my long flight from LA to Auckland, not all Qantas planes have room in the cabin. When flying on the smaller Qantas planes, I removed the steering column and used a strap harness on the base.

The New Zealand Trans Scenic Railway and the Intercoastal Ferry were fantastic when transporting my Segway, trike (three wheeled push bike) and luggage. Not all trains are fully accessible but the staff will assist you in any way possible (with dignity). The key is to let them know in advance when you will be traveling and what your needs are.

I attended the Pasifika Festival in Western Springs (Auckland) lakeside park and stadium on 13 March. Pasifika is the largest one-day cultural festival in the South Pacific. One Segway and 150,000 people -- we had a great time and I was able to see every booth, vender and presentation all around the park.

New Zealand is Segway friendly. Cheers REB

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10805148&BRD=1459&PAG=461&dept_id=506062&rfi=6