PDA

View Full Version : Segway mention in National Geographic Magazine

ftropea
09-12-2002, 03:44 PM
In this months (Sept 2002) online edition of National Geographic Magazine, NG lists the Segway-HT as one of "7 Signs of Progress" that the world is making headway in terms of "thinking green":

quote:7 Signs of Progress

We are making headway. More of the world is thinking green as governments and industries look for ways to reduce emissions that harm air and water quality.

• Japan, the United States, and countries throughout Europe are moving full throttle toward eliminating vehicle emissions. They’re introducing such innovations as gasoline-electric hybrid cars, automobiles powered by a hydrogen fuel cell that emits pure drinkable water, and the Segway Human Transporter, which uses gyroscope-balanced electric energy for individual mobility.

http://boulder.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0209/resources_planet2.html

- Frank

muckle
09-12-2002, 05:34 PM
And speaking of National Geographic, Frank...

is there any reason to still keep quiet about you-know-what?

charmed
09-12-2002, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by muckle

And speaking of National Geographic, Frank...

is there any reason to still keep quiet about you-know-what?

Spill the beans. We have no secrets here (do we?).

ftropea
09-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Muckle...

Now that you mention it, go ahead and spill 'em :)

...<laughing>...

- Frank

Casey
09-12-2002, 05:58 PM
The only problem for me is that I can't watch it.:D

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Can't watch what? :)

Casey
09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Can't watch what? :)

I don't know, but if it's that big a secret, I won't be able to watch the beans spill.

charmed
09-12-2002, 06:11 PM
True Originals
Dean Kamen

This film profiles the life and work of the
millionaire inventor, Dean Kamen. With more than
one hundred U.S. patents, ranging from a wheelchair
that climbs stairs to a sophisticated electronic
scooter, Kamen is one of the great minds of our
time. We visit Kamen in all realms of his
techno-kingdom: at home, at work, at play and
presiding over his mega-robotics competition to
show what makes this original thinker tick.

10 p.m. Sunday : September 22, 2002
Also airs:
Monday, Sep 23, 1 a.m.

Casey
09-12-2002, 06:16 PM
I get NG on PBS, but I don't think any of them are new shows. Maybe I'll catch it on reruns before I die.

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Oh - THAT!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to watch it. I'll probably tape it too.

charmed
09-12-2002, 06:25 PM
You cagey so and so!

Tell us what you know!

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Muckle and I (I'll only speak for the two of us) are going to briefly appear in a National Geographic documentary about Dean Kamen. It's in a NG series called "True Originals." We were interviewed together for about 3 hours. I hadn't seen Muckle since the GMA reveal so it was great getting together and working with him on the film.

It's going to air on Sunday, Sept. 22nd at 10PM eastern. I think it'll be on again on Monday morning... and probably repeat some other times. Should be interesting. Although I haven't seen it, I'm familar with some work the director has done and he's excellent - a real professional.

We talked about a lot of things... gave our take on the book proposal leak, how the story unfolded over the last year or so... what we thought about "IT" and Dean Kamen. It was a long interview so we covered a lot.

Any questions?

- Frank

charmed
09-12-2002, 06:39 PM
The Frank and Muckle Show!

I would really love to see that. You guys are going to be famous!

charmed
09-12-2002, 06:40 PM
Did you have a chance to pick the director's or crew's minds about what other interesting things they might have seen or heard?

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:51 PM
I thought we were already famous! j/k

Ummm, no. The director didn't tell/show us anything and I didn't ask. But he was very gracious :)

muckle
09-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Actually, we don't even know for sure that we will even appear!

We could end up on the 'cutting room floor', like some of the best performances in history!

Frank - do you get NG?

ftropea
09-13-2002, 01:48 PM
Muckle,

I'll be watching it off a DISH network system so I'll tape it and send you a copy if you would like. By the way, I'll be recording onto a mini-DV tape. Do you have a mini-DV camera? I can just make you a digital copy. And if you have a DVD player, I can burn you a DVD.

Let me know either way.

- Frank

muckle
09-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Thanks Frank! A vhs tape or dvd is fine - whichever is easier for you.

n/a
09-13-2002, 04:30 PM
quote:• Japan, the United States, and countries throughout Europe are moving full throttle toward eliminating vehicle emissions. They’re introducing such innovations as gasoline-electric hybrid cars, automobiles powered by a hydrogen fuel cell that emits pure drinkable water, and the Segway Human Transporter, which uses gyroscope-balanced electric energy for individual mobility.

Apparently National Geographic, a serious magazine, takes the Segway seriously.

Podkletnov
09-13-2002, 11:59 PM

Muckle and I (I'll only speak for the two of us) are going to briefly appear in a National Geographic documentary about Dean Kamen. It's in a NG series called "True Originals." We were interviewed together for about 3 hours. I hadn't seen Muckle since the GMA reveal so it was great getting together and working with him on the film.

It's going to air on Sunday, Sept. 22nd at 10PM eastern. I think it'll be on again on Monday morning... and probably repeat some other times. Should be interesting. Although I haven't seen it, I'm familar with some work the director has done and he's excellent - a real professional.

We talked about a lot of things... gave our take on the book proposal leak, how the story unfolded over the last year or so... what we thought about "IT" and Dean Kamen. It was a long interview so we covered a lot.

Any questions?

- Frank

How long have you been working at Segway?

ftropea
09-14-2002, 01:10 AM
Lawrence,

Yeah, they apparently do. While they mention the other "types" of technologies (ie. gasoline-electric hybrid cars, automobiles powered by a hydrogen fuel cell that emits pure drinkable water) they specifically point to the Segway-HT. That's pretty significant in my book.

- Frank

Seg-wager
09-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Oh fantastic! Someone please remember to remind me the 22nd! :)

Spliff
09-14-2002, 01:39 PM
What channel can we watch this on?

ftropea
09-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Spliff: It will air on the new National Geographic Channel (NGC) - check your cable and see if you have it. I know DISH Newtork (Echostar) carries it.. although TimeWarner doesn't seem to - yet. It's a fairly new channel, so they're still breaking in. Although, I recall that this particular documentary was tranlated into over 100 languages.. It's going to be aired worldwide.

Should be interesting.

- Frank

Newman
09-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Great news guys. I'm happy for you. As representatives of the segway crowd, I'm sure you did a wonderful job.

Spliff
09-16-2002, 12:51 AM
I don't get that channel.. Hey Frank or Muckle, can you tape it for me? I wasn't going to say anything, but since you already broke the news here about your interviews, I might as well say that I also was interviewed for it a long time ago too, but I have no idea if they are going to use my piece. Anyway I'd really appreciate if I could get my hands on a copy of it for obvious reasons. Thanks.

Spliff: It will air on the new National Geographic Channel (NGC) - check your cable and see if you have it. I know DISH Newtork (Echostar) carries it.. although TimeWarner doesn't seem to - yet. It's a fairly new channel, so they're still breaking in. Although, I recall that this particular documentary was tranlated into over 100 languages.. It's going to be aired worldwide.

Should be interesting.

- Frank

ftropea
09-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Spliff - no problem. Is a DVD OK? If you need VHS - no problem :)

Hey - if you take mini-DV let me know... that's not a problem either.

- Frank

Spliff
09-16-2002, 11:16 PM
You got a dvd burner? That would be cool. Either that or VHS is fine. Thank you very much.

- Frank

Pappy
09-16-2002, 11:20 PM

- Frank

Hey, can you burn me the show on a scratchy old 45 rpm vinyl record?

ftropea
09-16-2002, 11:27 PM
I can have it laser etched onto the surface without disturbing the existing analog tracks if you would like :)

Spliff
09-17-2002, 07:52 PM
I've been told we did not make it into the film. Bummer guys.

Strength and Honor!

charmed
09-17-2002, 08:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Spliff

I've been told we did not make it into the film. Bummer guys.

Strength and Honor!

Say it ain't so! Tell us what you know!

ftropea
09-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Oh man! Well, it would of been cool anywayz :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

muckle
09-19-2002, 10:25 AM
But I already sold my apt. and booked a flight to L.A.! D'oh!

ftropea
09-19-2002, 10:45 AM
I got a clarification on this...

We make a quick appearance (non-speaking) in the show that will air on Sunday. It's an edited 48 minute TV-version. However, the full version, which will air in two weeks worldwide, in over 100 different countries and languages, will be unedited and will have a few moments where we appear and speak. The one on Sunday isn't available locally, other than carried on satellite (if you have the NG channel then you most likely have a DISH network system.)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Seg-wager
09-22-2002, 04:39 PM
We do get the NG channel through cable so I'm all set to watch and record this evening! 10 pm sharp! :) Hope to see you there!

Seg-wager
09-23-2002, 12:40 AM
The National Geographic True Originals lived up to it's name tonight with the program: Citizen Kamen. I thought NG did a great job of highlighting DK's life and his interest in providing a quality math & science experience through expanding involvement in FIRST. It was a remarkably revealing expose, covering his many accomplishments, his inventions, his approach, and his determination to demonstrate in a constructive manner that succeeding involves learning from difficulties, problems and failures in order to overcome them. I hope that NG does air the longer version because it was over all too soon.

Did anyone see themselves? Let me know! :)

ftropea
09-23-2002, 01:09 AM
Just watched it with my wife over my parent's house..

The director, Eitan Weinreich, did a really good job of telling Kamen's story in such limited amount of time...less than one hour. It was pieced together nicely, although I could see where the cuts were probably made.. We got a tantalizing look at the Stirling engine plus saw our "old" favorites in the Ibot and Segway-HT doing their thing. That early prototype of "Ginger" looked really interesting and raw... that's the kind of stuff I'm interested in!!

All in all.. we enjoyed it, even though we didn't have speaking parts. We saw ourselves many times during the documentary.. on line outside GMA.. That screen of the patents and the guy typing at the keyboard was me (that popped up a few times during the show.) One particular moment that made me smile was when the narrator, Eitan, referred to the "more level headed of the internet detectives" and then he showed me... My wife kinda giggled and pinched my arm at that point. I saw Muckle's TIQ t-shirt nice and clear.. saw ourselves again when the curtain was lifted. All in all, although a lot was cut - I was happy that Muckle and I made it in :)

Looking forward to seeing the unedited international version where Muckle and I speak about Kamen and Ginger. That's the one the world's gonna see.. so I can't wait to hear what we say! :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
09-23-2002, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the synopsis Frank, I'm hoping I can see the program somehow eventually. Now--what I can't wait for--is hearing your impressions when you finally get that first ride.

You're gonna be on a "high" for about a week. :)

Broo

Brooster

ftropea
09-23-2002, 02:12 AM
Brooster..

What wouldn't I do for just one, 5 minute ride? Well, if they would just tell me where/when - I'd be there. :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
09-23-2002, 02:18 AM
I'm confident that time will come Frank, perhaps even sooner than you think. It reminds me of just how fortunate I was on the 11th of June, in that big back room at the Museum of Science and Industry.

It's a pretty neat deal.

Brooster

Casey
09-23-2002, 07:19 AM
Glad to hear they didn't leave you on the cutting room floor Frank. Although those of us living in the sticks will never see proof of it. :(

Frank

ftropea
09-23-2002, 09:18 AM
Later this evening, I'll try to pull some stills from the video.. and with appropriate captions, post them to this site. Lawrence wants a transcript, but that's time consuming so I can't promise one until maybe sometime this upcoming weeked (depending on life's demands of course!)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Newman
09-23-2002, 10:23 AM
Here is Newmans report. I thought that was you Frank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleur, great report. Newman had a front row seat though my notes are virtually unreadable. The first robot competition was kind of the focal point, but many great quotes and pictures along the way.

Kamen says "hovered, been there done that" as he was flying around in his chopper. Imagine picture from the copter as he flew over the ballfield and the dreamy quotes in the background. Floating out the window above everyone and just out of reach.

All of this was tied to a comic strip by Jack Kamen. He made a strip when Dean was young and had a reading problem. Dean was embarrassed to hang around with other kids because of it. His parents were very concerned. This isolation and detachment turned him to Einstein and physics which he said made the world comprehensible.

When the reporter asked him about the first kids and marriage. He was glad his parents got married, and maybe his addiction with first was his way to have kids while avoiding the diapers. He then reminisced over his old auto-syringe which he said he made the whole circuit board and it was etched in mothers oven.

Sorry to jump around, but that's how the story was. Next, we see Dean zooming into DEKA on Seggie and I mean zooming. He virtually flew into his office and did spins in front of a very neat picture of Einstein on a segway; like a 6 ft tall picture behind his desk.

Next flash to I-bot. They had a handicapped guy who I think was given an I-bot by his class. Anyway the class and guy were demonstrating stair climbing and the amazing balance of I-bot on two wheels. The guy then remarked that what he loves is, he can dance now and he proceeded to dance with someone while two-shoeing the I-bot. Too cool, the guy said he couldn't cry, because it was too fun and stuff.

Now we see the Brooklyn kids trying out their robot. It starts to smoke. Cut to Dean, who says something like smoking is nothing. He has what he calls the Visible Flame Rule, where you don't stop the trial until you see visible flames. (laughter)

Flash to pictures of IT Question website and Ginger stuff. Dean said there was no way to keep up to the It Fanatics imaginations. And at the time of the leak, they weren't ready and no co. name. Now go to Segway reveal. Will there be acceptance? Big Question, like Diane Sawyer said, "Is this It".

Reporter- No this is not it! Dean has a vision(show swarms of people) someday that people will be in huge cities or Mega-cities. Now imagine a device that can make power and provide clean water. Tadaa--Stirling Cycle engine. Dean had a Stirling expert come to Deka and told him everything about Stirlings. In a nutshell (it doesn't work). Dean and the engineers loved to hear that and it spurred them on. A small 200W stirling will be able to power a small household and can be placed on the Segway.

Now to Epcot where we see Jeb Bush on a seggie. The brooklyn kids win the first round and Dean goes and talks to them. The kids are thrilled, then their robot gets stuck in the finals and they are a little down. The teacher told them that now they know they have it in them to do whatever they want. A couple had their choice of schools.

Well that is most of what I saw. I'll leave you with Dean saying from his copter. Cheating gravity, is as close to magic as you can get.
Gravity cheater-

--------------
Originally posted at Dweeb Cabal- thought you may like it.

-----
newman to the rescue

To Infinity and Beyond!

muckle
09-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Hey Frank, could you make a DVD copy for me?

thanks

charmed
09-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys for the recaps. Wish I'd been able to see it. I do get Nat. Geo. channel, but it is a european feed and the show isn't scheduled yet.

Anybody happen to know when (if) it will be shown in europe?

ftropea
09-25-2002, 11:09 AM
Charmed.. I'm going to hold you responsible for watching the European airing and describing in full detail!

By the way.. Apologies for not getting at least some still from the show up on the site. I'll do it as soon as time permits :) There were some great shots of early "Ginger" prototypes, the Stirling and of course Dean and his engineers at DEKA.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
09-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Here are some slides from the documentary. Enjoy!

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/slideshow.asp

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Brooster
09-26-2002, 03:15 AM
FANTASTIC Frank!

Gives us a great feel for the program ... thanks so much for your great work. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we really appreciate your time and effort.

There's no one more deserving of a Segway ride than you (I hope you're listening Dean, and Segway LLC).

Who's better than you? <grin>

Broo

Brooster

n/a
09-26-2002, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the report guys. I look forward to the international version.

quote:Floating out the window above everyone and just out of reach.

All of this was tied to a comic strip by Jack Kamen. He made a strip when Dean was young and had a reading problem. Dean was embarrassed to hang around with other kids because of it. His parents were very concerned. This isolation and detachment turned him to Einstein and physics which he said made the world comprehensible.

Here is an interesting tidbit about Kamen's childhood and his motivations to excell. Very interesting...

muckle
09-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Super job, Frank! Thanks for taking the time to share the pics with us.

Seg-wager
09-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much, nice overview.

charmed
09-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Nice one, Frank. That shot of one of the early, small wheeled balancing platform looks just like the one they showed way back when on the pre-reveal 60 minutes program.

Can't wait to see the program. I've got my eyes on the UK NG t.v. site for any sign of it.

ftropea
09-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the positive comments.

Yeah, seeing the early protype in action was a bit of a surprise. That's something I never really thought we would ever see. Also, did you notice the chair sitting to the left in picture 31? Looks like a simple high back office chair with its legs replaced with robotic parts. What a strange looking mutation :) The wheels look to be sitting just to the right of it, behind Dean and an early "Ginger/Segway-HT" prototype.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
09-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Bumped for anyone who missed the documentary..

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Newman
09-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Great pics Frank. That shot with the strange chair really stuck out to me too. I didn't see the wheels and thought maybe it was a bouncer or pogo-chair.

To Infinity and Beyond!

jlp
10-02-2002, 08:34 PM

I got a clarification on this...

We make a quick appearance (non-speaking) in the show that will air on Sunday. It's an edited 48 minute TV-version. However, the full version, which will air in two weeks worldwide, in over 100 different countries and languages, will be unedited and will have a few moments where we appear and speak. The one on Sunday isn't available locally, other than carried on satellite (if you have the NG channel then you most likely have a DISH network system.)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

This is just about the 2 weeks from the date of this post. Any news about the channels it will be shown on in Europe?