PDA

View Full Version : DRAFT

fredkap
03-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Jerry Kerr has created with Leonard Timm a new organization which we will be applying for IRS approval as a non-profit charitable organization. Derek Hugger has continued to show his creative genius by making a new logo for our disabled community. Mike McWilliams has created the web site and shown his creative genius. I have agreed to be the treasurer.

The organization will work towards assuring that the ADA is properly applied towards new technologies such as the Segway HT and the iBot.
Thus the name is Disabled Rights Advocates for Technology or DRAFT for short. The web site is http://draft.cc/

None of us are abandoning SegwayChat. My personal opinion is that as the disabled community opens doors required to be opened by the ADA those same doors will be opened to the rest of our community.
Ben Bethel has essentially confirmed that. American West Airlines is allowing segs used by the abled bodied to be gate checked in the same fashion as the disabled community is permitted. Jerry Kerr's (QuadSquad) work opened the airlines to the disabled.

This thread is to announce our efforts to the members of the community that don't normally check the "special needs, mobility and disabled use" section of our chat site. Please read Jerry's announcement, check out our site but continue to be avid segchat readers and posters.

-Fred

smoother
03-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Sounds very inspirational. I like the photo. I've never seen actual diability use of an HT. Very cool to see the physically challenged leading the technology pack.

BTW What is the PC term for handicapped these days? I'm a bit out of date.

DRAFT? Lets see. 1st there was Ipcress, then S.P.E.C.T.A., then Z.O.W.I.E., then U.N.C.L.E., then H.A.R.M., then MIB, now DRAFT. You guys sound like special agents. You certainly are on an important mission.

John Out.
"Live to glide, glide to live"

driley
03-12-2004, 02:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap

My personal opinion is that as the disabled community opens doors required to be opened by the ADA those same doors will be opened to the rest of our community.

-Fred

I tend to agree. There is information on the DRAFT site about San Francisco officially saying it is ok for disabled Segway users to glide on sidewalks there. It sure can't hurt to have a few Segs legaly gilding around the city by the bay.

Allowing disabled users to Seg in the City is not all that far off from saying that Segways may not be inherently evil contraptions after all.

Devin

sitseg
03-12-2004, 05:48 AM
Jerry Kerr and Mike McWilliams have done an excellent job with our new website. It has been created in a very short period of time and will only get better. I also want to thank Derek Hugger for the great logo he created for our organization.
Visit our site (draft.cc) even if you don't have a disability to see some great segway pictures. You can press the "What's inside" tab at the top to have some access without a login.

Leonard

pam
03-12-2004, 11:30 AM
I'm going to leave this thread temporarily in the HT forum, at the request of Fred Kaplan, so that those who don't normally check out the other forums will see it. Discussion belongs in the Mobility forum. There's another thread on this topic in that forum.

I strongly advise all our listmembers to do more than just hit the HT Forum button when they come into the forums. Use the Active Topics link at the top to get all the news.

Pam

wwhopper
03-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Fred
Great Team - Great Program - Great Idea - I have posted your e-mail on the local DC-Segways site.

Accessibility and Universal Design are so important for everyday life and for everyone. I was at a conference recently that spoke of Universal Design - as Good Design that helps EVERYONE, not just the disabled. Freedom of movement is so important in that process!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

Itsi Atkins
03-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Pam and others, please be carefull about moving sites off the general forum. Much of what DRAFT is doing is proactive legal foundation which we need all to see. Where do you think news on legal fights for NYC should be placed. We want it where the most will see it and DRAFT will be a big part. It seems to me that users of segway who are disabled and details of the use are surely under the specific forum. But until the other forums get the hits of the general forum please keep the needed information where the most users can see it. thanks.

BenBethel
03-19-2004, 01:36 PM
This is awesome - I'm going to forward it to some officials here in Phoenix...

Thanks!
Ben

www.benbethel.com

Homer
05-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Gosh, we've come a long way in a year. Last February I wrote about Segways for patients with disabilities and was asked not to discuss this lest it invite FDA scrutiny and enmity.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/SIMPHomer2.gif

pam
05-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Interesting, Homer, I went back and reviewed your posts from February 2003, and I can't find that thread. I've been on the forums since I got my 'i' in December of 2002, and don't really remember ever seeing someone asked NOT to discuss it lest it invite FDA scrutiny.

I do remember a lot of forum members comments saying that Segway wouldn't request the FDA approve it as a mobility/medical device.

I know some would say we've occasionally erred on the side of caution in terms of support for the unit/technology but I don't think SC has ever actually asked people not to discuss this. About the only thing we really seem to come down hard on is incivility <G>.

And yes, we've come a long way since February 2002 - because at that time, the general release of the HTs was just about to start. Prior to that it was basically about "what if's" - As they have come out, and as we've actually seen the useage patterns, and seen the populations who have found the unit useful, I think we've seen shifts here on SC, too.

Welcome back!
Pam

Homer
05-31-2004, 08:12 AM
Try the thread called "Segways for patients".

BruceWright
05-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Homer,

When you're on a forum like this, sometimes you get differing opinions. Don't take it as the official line on SegwayChat or censorship unless a moderator tells you that.

You got one negative opinion. That tends to happen on the internet! ;)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

QuadSquad
05-27-2005, 11:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap
for Technology or DRAFT for short. The web site is http://draft.cc/

None of us are abandoning SegwayChat. My personal opinion is that as the disabled community opens doors required to be opened by the ADA those same doors will be opened to the rest of our community.
Ben Bethel has essentially confirmed that. American West Airlines is allowing segs used by the abled bodied to be gate checked in the same fashion as the disabled community is permitted. Jerry Kerr's (QuadSquad) work opened the airlines to the disabled.

This thread is to announce our efforts to the members of the community that don't normally check the "special needs, mobility and disabled use" section of our chat site. Please read Jerry's announcement, check out our site but continue to be avid segchat readers and posters.

-Fred

BobS
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a prescription. The intent is to get something that will help me get from one place to another without getting so tired out that I am done for the day. I need a HCPC Code for the insurance company. Does anyone know of one that will work. They thought E1230 number would work but I think that's for a wheel chair. I know there are people who have gotten their Segway using medical insurance.

Bob

Nelda
07-22-2005, 04:24 PM
" I know there are people who have gotten their Segway using medical insurance."

Bob, that sure would be nice, but no one here on SegwayChat knows of ANYONE who has been able to do this. Can you give us more information?

Nelda

BobS
09-21-2005, 05:04 PM
The problem is the HCPC Code that apparently coinsides with the actual product being purchased. I have codes in general but not spicific enough to authorize it for the Segway.

Bob

BobS
09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I have contacted the FDA and also Palmetto GBA, somehow they are involved in testing devices or something like that. But I do not seem to be able to get anywhere unless Segway actually gets involved.
[u]http://www.palmettogba.com/palmetto/Other.nsf/f45451e08e6ffeda852569ee00005c6d/85256d430058d01d8525707c00722af9?OpenDocument</u>

Totaly frustrated, why do these people interfere with people getting help.

Bob

Bob

Mr_Laurenzano
12-09-2005, 03:55 AM
This part i HAVE COVERED. All I remember is my mon said dont stand on the couch or chairs. I wsa a defiant child.

14. High Activity Use-A category of chairs with speed, range, and terrain handling features designed for frequent use on uneven terrain, hard and soft surfaces with moderate to extreme surface irregularity, and/or for speeds and ranges that exceed those of chairs designed for standard or general use. These features do not affect the ability of the chair to be configured to handle the patient’s medical condition, but allow more frequent and aggressive use.

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.
www.centralcoastsegwave.com

Georgem
04-04-2006, 04:00 AM
I haven't tried to have Medicare or Tricare fund a Segway yet, but I did take a $5,345 tax deduction on my XT as a medical expense. I am in the process of getting under VA's wing, and they are coordinating Segway donations for wounded GIs.

QuadSquad
04-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I am in the process of getting under VA's wing, and they are coordinating Segway donations for wounded GIs.

DRAFT's Segs4Vets program is the only one I'm aware of that is donating Segways, but that's coordinated directly with the US Military command. I'd like to hear about the VA's effort, that would be terrific!

Wallace
10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
http://webpages.acs.ttu.edu/dard/segway.htm

http://www.seaoutdoors.com

Mr_Laurenzano
02-22-2007, 12:14 AM
just stand there. and think forward.

wwhopper
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
just stand there. and think forward.

A good number of the Segs4Vets reciepients will be able to do just that. Step or hop up, stand there and think forward. Their mobility will get a boost!

OH no, I am starting to understand his prose!

pclark
10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
As a new blogger with Multiple Sclerosis, and no Segway, can you send me pictures? I see the references to pictures, but no pictures.
I am interested in any infromation on the use of Segways.
Thanks!

bystander
10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
As a new blogger with Multiple Sclerosis, and no Segway, can you send me pictures? I see the references to pictures, but no pictures.
I am interested in any information on the use of Segways.
Thanks!Welcome to Segway Chat.

The pictures were on the web 3 and a half years ago when this thread was started. But not all things are permanent on the web.

You may not have noticed how old the thread was before you posted.

Have you been to the DRAFT site?

http://www.draft.org/draft3/

The PT is considered by it's manufacturer as a consumer device and not a medical device, so it can be tricky to obtain medical related information. If you browse this section of the forum, you ought to be able to find some interesting things.

Do you have any specific questions?

Once you make a few more posts, you will be out of moderation mode, and you may want to post your questions in a new thread.

Tarkus
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome,

Pics can also be found at:
www.myspace.com/segforlegs

Here is another MS useres Blog I follow:
http://segwayman.blogspot.com/

polo_pro
10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Here's a SegSeat specific blog from a fellow disabled glider.

http://segseatblog.typepad.com/segseat_blog/

She's started posting again this week.

Wallace
10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
From Car To Classroom

The AMARILLO (TX) Independent- Thursday, June 21, 2007

Take just one look at the smile on the face of Julia Davis, and you’ll understand the benefits she’s found in a technological wonder.

Davis, an assistant professor of mathematics at Amarillo College, is a two-time victor over bone cancer. The latest battle in 1995 resulted in a complete re-section of her left femur. In layman’s terms, she was fitted with a titanium hip, hip socket and femur. Unfortunately, soft tissue and muscle can’t attach to titanium. The result was a loss of muscle strength. Never one to acquiesce easily, Davis picked up a cane and proceeded full speed ahead with her teaching duties and her life.

Another set-back came in March of 2006, when a hemorrhage left scar tissue on her spinal column. In the aftermath, Davis had to face the full implications of her impaired mobility. Even with the use of two canes the difficulty and pain of navigating the AC campus forced her to consider medical disability retirement at the age of 55.

Then Davis ran into Wallace Johnston and his Segway scooter.
Johnston is the Associate Director of Texas Tech University in Amarillo. One of his projects has been a mobility study. The Segway, initially developed as more of a recreational mode of transportation, has been building momentum for its use in industrial, law enforcement and military settings. Johnston, who has neuropathy in his feet, also found a personal application for the scooter. He encouraged Davis to pursue a Segway solution to her own mobility problems.

That decision, Davis said, “Has given me my life back.”

“Shiloh” is a shiny machine, whose gleam matches the beaming smile on Davis’ face when she talks about how it has changed her life.

“One of the best things about my scooter is that I can continue to work,” she explained. “It was becoming more and more difficult for me to access my classroom and to navigate the campus. The distances I had to travel were taking a tremendous toll on me physically and emotionally.”

Davis went through a rigorous evaluation and training process before taking off alone on the personal transportation device.

There were discussions and meetings with physicians, physical therapists, psychologists, and occupational therapists. The experts evaluated her daily activities, including how far she had to walk each day, job requirements and daily living activities. Her usage of pain medication with and without the use of the scooter was documented. She also kept a daily log of how she felt mentally, physically and emotionally. Then her doctor provided a prescription for an electric personal mobility device.

The basic training included a safety video, a demonstration of the machine’s capabilities, practical riding, and machine usage with a trainer standing by. Finally, she was approved for independent use of a “loaner” to complete the evaluation process.

“I was amazed,” Davis said. “I was free again and at ease. The Segway saved 60% of my workplace steps. It allowed me to be independent and reduced the amount of pain medication I needed. Physically, weight bearing is beneficial and “Shiloh” provides that where a wheelchair or similar device won’t.”

The Segway Personal Transporter was first introduced in 2001. The vehicles have received growing attention in industry and business for its speed, agility and boost to productivity. Seattle, Washington and Fort Worth, Texas are just two of the cities where its common to see law enforcement officers using them to patrol downtown areas.

Boeing, Cessna and Tinker Air Force Base are some of the places where you’ll find Segway’s in use. Hospitals and health care facilities are also beginning to use the devices. An increasing number of cities are employing them for use in their bomb-squad divisions. It makes the job of a team member wearing 70-80 lbs. of protective gear much easier in terms of safely reaching, defusing or escaping an explosive device.

Five gyroscopes and self-balancing technology set the Segway personal transportation device apart from other mobility options. It is so finely tuned that all Davis needs to do is just “think” forward, backward or stop to get the machine to move as she wishes. It has a zero-degree turning radius and a width of just over 24 inches that allows her to navigate doorways, hallways and even into bathroom stalls where a standard wheelchair or four-wheeled mobility device would be unable to enter.

Battery-powered, the Segway is environmentally friendly. One overnight charge using about 10 cents worth of electricity will power the device for 24 miles, which is more than enough to propel Davis through an entire day’s activities.

“The personal transporters don’t have the same stigma attached to them that you find with wheelchairs or other types of scooters,” Johnston said. “With the Segway you’re at a normal height, so you can still look eye-to-eye with folks. That makes a tremendous difference in terms of self-esteem and the ability to conduct your business with confidence.”

Davis said she will use “Shiloh” anywhere that requires distance walking in order to save the wear and tear on her leg. She rode it at this year’s AC “Badgerama”, and says that it operates well on grass and packed soil as well as on paved surfaces.

“It has taken away my fear of tomorrow,” Davis said with a huge smile. “Now my retirement date will be my decision and not my body’s.”

pam
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Bravo! Thanks, Wallace.

Stories like these warm my heart. :)

Pam

Mr_Laurenzano
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Johnston said. “With the Segway you’re at a normal height, so you can still look eye-to-eye with folks. That makes a tremendous difference in terms of self-esteem and the ability to conduct your business with confidence.”
Thats nice
Crash:)

Evenau
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place. It is important to note that I do not go into the guest areas of the park. But since the parent company, Cedarfair, does everything the Anaheim mouse does, they prohibit the use of Segways by guests in the park. It is also important to know that the handicapped parking is a round trip of 600 yards to and from my work venue. I have asked for special consideration since I am legally handicapped but they have denied my pleas.
I wonder what would happen if one of the disabled Iraq War veterans to whom DRAFT has given a Segway, showed up at the front gate? I am guessing they would refuse them entrance to the park. I would gladly give anyone of them free tickets to the park and make sure the media is there when they arrived and were confronted.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the whole discrimination against disabled Segway owners. As my friend Alan at DRAFT would say, "until then.... Be Big."
Ev

segsurfer
08-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place. It is important to note that I do not go into the guest areas of the park. But since the parent company, Cedarfair, does everything the Anaheim mouse does, they prohibit the use of Segways by guests in the park. It is also important to know that the handicapped parking is a round trip of 600 yards to and from my work venue. I have asked for special consideration since I am legally handicapped but they have denied my pleas.
I wonder what would happen if one of the disabled Iraq War veterans to whom DRAFT has given a Segway, showed up at the front gate? I am guessing they would refuse them entrance to the park. I would gladly give anyone of them free tickets to the park and make sure the media is there when they arrived and were confronted.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the whole discrimination against disabled Segway owners. As my friend Alan at DRAFT would say, "until then.... Be Big."
Ev
Play the mouse against em' man. Next time you talk to your boss tell them that by allowing you to use your segway, they are being as innovative as Disney. Tell them that the segway isn't their problem so much as their draw. If that doesn't work, pray for the DOJ trial.
-segsurfer

jryan
08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
You know, I am not a vet but am a disabled Segway user. I was planning on taking a trip to Cedar Point next summer. If that is still the CedarFair policy at the time, it will be confronted!

KSagal
08-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I am a big fan of the Segs-4-Vets program, but why not just do the press thing yourself?

I don't know if the vets who recieved segways would be the people to use to further the rights of segways... It seems a bit backwards to me... I believe the value of giving the segs to these fine service people was to further their position, not the other way around...

I believe that a guy trying to eek out a living, and doing it while challenged, and the company they work for denying your ability to get to work, is a great human interest piece...

I don't think you need vets for this. I think you need press. The park is private property, and they can claim all sorts of things on the public access parts, like safety concerns, and one guest hurting another guest issues... In the back lot, where your issue is, all of those fears hold no wind. It is a simple refusal of your ability to get to work...

Why not use a cane, and have them yank that away as well? See my point? A mobility device, used by employees in a restricted area is very different than the same item in the park proper...

Good luck.

cmonkey
08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
And to add to what Karl said.... Disney employees use segways behind the scenes, and I've even seen them outside of the park. (probably going between the backlot and the Mickey parking structure).

So use by an employee in restricted areas not accessible to the general public, should not be a big issue.

If they are worried about liability and safety to other employees, just let them know that you won't let other employees use your segway.

jryan
08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I am a big fan of the Segs-4-Vets program, but why not just do the press thing yourself?

I don't know if the vets who recieved segways would be the people to use to further the rights of segways... It seems a bit backwards to me... I believe the value of giving the segs to these fine service people was to further their position, not the other way around...

I believe that a guy trying to eek out a living, and doing it while challenged, and the company they work for denying your ability to get to work, is a great human interest piece...

I don't think you need vets for this. I think you need press. The park is private property, and they can claim all sorts of things on the public access parts, like safety concerns, and one guest hurting another guest issues... In the back lot, where your issue is, all of those fears hold no wind. It is a simple refusal of your ability to get to work...

Why not use a cane, and have them yank that away as well? See my point? A mobility device, used by employees in a restricted area is very different than the same item in the park proper...

Good luck.

Karl poses a good point, but there is one problem. You do not need vets, but I would understand why you would not want to do it yourself. Going up against the company you work for in such a publicized role, is likely to get you fired. They cannot legally fire you for challenging them, but if you are ever a minute late for work, they can fire you for attendence, if you see what I mean. I would understand if this is the reason he doesn't want to take them on himself, but to single out just vets to help him, well, that is unneccessary!

QuadSquad
08-19-2008, 07:42 PM
You should file a complaint with the EEOC

bud01234
08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
I am a fervent supporter of DRAFT. I am a 65 year old male who suffers from debilitating osteoarthritis in both my hips. My Segway is my savior when it come to getting around. However, I work summers at Kings Island near Cincinnati Ohio and they will not allow me to use my Segway to go from the employee lot to my work place.Ev

Interesting- I only go to kings' island once a year, when my company has a day at kings' island for the employees.

I have exactly the same problem with a hip and just got my seg last week. I actually called Kings' island today to see if I'd be able to ride my seg in the park and was told firmly "no!... however, we can rent you a wheelchair when you come into the park."

I told her thanks anyway and I wouldn't be attending the company outing this year.

KSagal
08-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Interesting- I only go to kings' island once a year, when my company has a day at kings' island for the employees.

I have exactly the same problem with a hip and just got my seg last week. I actually called Kings' island today to see if I'd be able to ride my seg in the park and was told firmly "no!... however, we can rent you a wheelchair when you come into the park."

I told her thanks anyway and I wouldn't be attending the company outing this year.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to deny a person access to a public venue because of their mobility device, and then attempt to force them to pay for one that is owned by the venue...

Bob.Kerns
08-20-2008, 01:44 AM
I was under the impression that it was illegal to deny a person access to a public venue because of their mobility device, and then attempt to force them to pay for one that is owned by the venue...

That was my impression, too, though I didn't find it in the Q&A page I expected it on on the ADA website (www.ada.gov). I'll look more another time.

However, for the original complainant, this isn't a public venue, so rather than ADA title III (public accommodations), we're talking title I (employment), and reasonable accommodation.

I think it still nets out as illegal, but I've not read Title I as often, and am even further from knowing all the ins-and-outs than forf Title III.

But back to your point. I've had this happen to me a few times -- "we can supply a wheelchair", or "we have motorized shopping carts". I've never been forced into them -- and paying for it was never an issue. But it was my impression that further, they can't force you to use alternate accommodations.

KSagal
08-20-2008, 12:30 PM
That was my impression, too, though I didn't find it in the Q&A page I expected it on on the ADA website (www.ada.gov (http://www.ada.gov)). I'll look more another time.

However, for the original complainant, this isn't a public venue, so rather than ADA title III (public accommodations), we're talking title I (employment), and reasonable accommodation.

I think it still nets out as illegal, but I've not read Title I as often, and am even further from knowing all the ins-and-outs than forf Title III.

But back to your point. I've had this happen to me a few times -- "we can supply a wheelchair", or "we have motorized shopping carts". I've never been forced into them -- and paying for it was never an issue. But it was my impression that further, they can't force you to use alternate accommodations.

I believe there are two issues being discussed at the same time...

One was the employee who was denied his mobility device to get from parking to work. This was in a non public part of the park, which shares rules with other parks that have employees using the same device in similar situations.

The other was an employee of another company who rented the park (or parts of it) for a company outing, and he was not allowed in with his mobility device, but was told he could rent a different type of mobility device from the park. This was in the public part of the park...

Either way, the park seems to be treating people with disabilities differently than others, and restricting them in ways that do not seem kosher.

Bob.Kerns
08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I believe there are two issues being discussed at the same time...

One was the employee who was denied his mobility device to get from parking to work. This was in a non public part of the park, which shares rules with other parks that have employees using the same device in similar situations.

The other was an employee of another company who rented the park (or parts of it) for a company outing, and he was not allowed in with his mobility device, but was told he could rent a different type of mobility device from the park. This was in the public part of the park...

Either way, the park seems to be treating people with disabilities differently than others, and restricting them in ways that do not seem kosher.

Right -- original complainant (park employee) title I, company outing complainant (park visitor), title III.

Once again, you've clarified my sometimes murky prose. Thanks.

I don't believe either is kosher, they're just unkosher under a different set of rules. There are also different enforcement options.

The lawsuit against Disney over all this (visitor-side) is still on, but who knows how long it will take. A lawsuit on the employee side might help nudge them out of their position and settle.

Lily Kerns
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
That was my impression, too, though I didn't find it in the Q&A page I expected it on on the ADA website. I'll look more another time.

I'm a poor one to comment here because I seldom interpret things the expected way... <G> but the quote from title 3 that Bob's link led me to says:
ADA Title III: Public Accommodations
Title III covers businesses and nonprofit service providers that
are public accommodations, privately operated entities offering
certain types of courses and examinations, privately operated
transportation, and commercial facilities. Public accommodations are
private entities who own, lease, lease to, or operate facilities such as
restaurants, retail stores, hotels, movie theaters, private schools,
convention centers, doctors’ offices, homeless shelters, transportation
depots, zoos, funeral homes, day care centers, and recreation] facilities including sports stadiums and fitness clubs. (emphasis added)
Transportation
services provided by private entities are also covered by title III.
Public accommodations must comply with basic
nondiscrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation,
and unequal treatment. They also must comply with specific
requirements related to architectural standards for new and altered
buildings; reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and
procedures; effective communication with people with hearing, vision,
or speech disabilities; and other access requirements. Additionally,
public accommodations must remove barriers in existing buildings
where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense, given
the public accommodation’s resources.
Courses and examinations related to professional, educational,
or trade-related applications, licensing, certifications, or credentialing
must be provided in a place and manner accessible to people with
disabilities, or alternative accessible arrangements must be offered.
Commercial facilities, such as factories and warehouses, must
comply with the ADA’s architectural standards for new construction
and alterations.

Sounds to me like all those place would be public under that statement. If I'm wrong,remember I'll never be a lawyer. <G>

Bob.Kerns
02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm a poor one to comment here because I seldom interpret things the expected way... <G> but the quote from title 3 that Bob's link led me to says:
ADA Title III: Public Accommodations
Title III covers businesses and nonprofit service providers that
are public accommodations, privately operated entities offering
certain types of courses and examinations, privately operated
transportation, and commercial facilities. Public accommodations are
private entities who own, lease, lease to, or operate facilities such as
restaurants, retail stores, hotels, movie theaters, private schools,
convention centers, doctors’ offices, homeless shelters, transportation
depots, zoos, funeral homes, day care centers, and recreation] facilities including sports stadiums and fitness clubs. (emphasis added)
Transportation
services provided by private entities are also covered by title III.
Public accommodations must comply with basic
nondiscrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation,
and unequal treatment. They also must comply with specific
requirements related to architectural standards for new and altered
buildings; reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and
procedures; effective communication with people with hearing, vision,
or speech disabilities; and other access requirements. Additionally,
public accommodations must remove barriers in existing buildings
where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense, given
the public accommodation’s resources.
Courses and examinations related to professional, educational,
or trade-related applications, licensing, certifications, or credentialing
must be provided in a place and manner accessible to people with
disabilities, or alternative accessible arrangements must be offered.
Commercial facilities, such as factories and warehouses, must
comply with the ADA’s architectural standards for new construction
and alterations.

Sounds to me like all those place would be public under that statement. If I'm wrong,remember I'll never be a lawyer. <G>

Thanks, mom, but I believe the original context here was non-public areas of the park, so I think Title I is what would apply. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, either. But my little brother is busy studying...

Or I could have lost the thread of this old conversation...

Your Segway still on schedule to arrive tomorrow?

Lily Kerns
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
The "public areas" is what the lawsuit hullabaloo is about?

Tomorrow morning.... Since I do not have a garage, it will reside in my living room, next to the only suitable outlet. As you suggested, I will have to wipe its feet when it comes in...

Bob.Kerns
02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
The "public areas" is what the lawsuit hullabaloo is about?

Tomorrow morning.... Since I do not have a garage, it will reside in my living room, next to the only suitable outlet. As you suggested, I will have to wipe its feet when it comes in...

Yes, the public areas are clear-cut Title III, a public accommodation. I don't believe even Disney disputes that.

I've filed my objection to the class status for the suit.

If you're out in rain, dust, or mud, you might want to have an old towel to wipe it down, or if that's too awkward, a doormat to park on.

cadia
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM
15 years ago the Nat'l park Service was trying to force eminent domain on my husbands heirship property. Part of their tactics was calling my 95 y/o father~in~law asking him all sorts of questions regarding the property, to further their efforts. I sent a short notarized letter stating if ANYTHING happens to my husbands father IF he so much as stubs his toe I will sue the NPS for contributing to his accident if they are continuing to harass him by phone or mail.
They dropped dropped their phone call harassment instantly. Haven't heard squeak from them since.
Get a Drs. note confirming that you use this as a safer way of travel due to you disability.
Never give up.