PDA

View Full Version : SegwayFest! 2004 Announcement

fathertime
03-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Drum Roll Please!!! And now the announcement that we have all been waiting for! The location of SegwayFest! 2004 will be at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa in Beautiful Bonita Springs, Florida on October 8th,9th,and 10th! There are 26 acres along the Gulf of Mexico and pristine Estero Bay that are included in the resort. There are beautiful gliding paths throughout the entire property. An Audubon International Gold certified championship 18 hole golf course with elegant water features, a Private Island with a Turtle Preserve, beach umbrellas, and beach chairs, two hydro-grid Tennis Courts, three swimming pools including a 5,000 sq.ft. lagoon pool with a 140 ft water slide, waterfall and fountain, a 19,000 sq. ft. European Spa, workout facilities, salons, all guest have access to a Hyatt Vacation club with five pools, lazy river, volleyball, basketball, and shuffleboard courts, six upscale restaurants, markets, Starbucks, and bars, a game room, Eco-tours on Estero Bay, environmental interpretive center, boating and fishing are all available at the resort! The rooms have walk-out balconies, safes, refrigerators, bath robes, DVD players, Sony playstation, coffee makers and ceiling fans. It is located two hours from Tampa, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale, and only twenty minutes from Naples and Ft. Myers. This hotel was opened in September of 2001 and is a stunning design.
Sounds great doesn't it? We have negotiated a very good room rate for our membership that is comparable with last year's rate and one that I think you will be pleased with.
In just a couple of days we will send you to our newly updated website where you may view all of the details and look at some fantastic photos of the venue. You will be amazed at how beautiful this area is and how lovely the setting lays out. What struck us was how perfectly suited the environment is to the HT. There are paths everywhere with beautiful scenery to behold. The hotel is extremely Segway friendly and we will not have the problems we did last year with the hotel. We have already demo-ed the General Manager and his staff and they are all on-board with the idea.
We will have the hotel numbers up on the website in a day or two so that you may call and reserve your rooms directly. You will need to mention our Segway Group to get the good rate and we encourage you to reserve early since we have tremendous interest this year and there are only 450 rooms in the hotel.
Segway will be there in full force and there will be many new and exciting activities and seminars. As they become finalized wew will tell you all about them. Each week we will tell you about any new activities or developments as they become finalized.
Since there will be three full days of activities we will have lots more to do this year! I can tell you that there will be a fantastic scavenger hunt this year that will involve your navigational skill on the HT and will be loads of fun for group participation. Please chime in on this thread and let us know what you would like to see this year at the Fest!
We are offering sponsorships at several levels this year and Matt will fill you in on what's available if you would like to participate. We will also need several volunteers this year who will have assigned duties throughout the conference. There will be a place to sign up on the website in a few days.
We are very excited about this year's Fest as are the folks at Segway. Thanks for being so patient with our rollout! You will love this place...hope to see you all at the Fest![^]:D[:O]:);)[:P]

JR

defenbaugh
03-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Definitely count me in.

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

Neelix
03-05-2004, 11:33 PM
We'll be there!

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

Brooster
03-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Atta Boy and Girl, Jim and Chandra ... another crowd pleaser to be sure, and it'll no doubt be even bigger and better than the first. SegwayFesT! Hoo-rah, and congrats on another great job!

I hope I can be there!

Broo

[:P][8]

Brooster

SegwayUtah
03-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Ah, great stuff. Can we keep this on the main discussion board for at least a few days before it gets moved to the "events" forum?

Chris

ftropea
03-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Hey, this is good news!

BTW - this is now the main forum for conventions, events, etc. Check back here often for any SegFest info.

Check this thread for details about all our forums:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7067

(Quick summary: If you're selling stuff.. post in the Buy/Sell Forum. If you've got a convention or event, it goes in Events. If you want to Rent.. or advertise your rental biz - yup, goes in Seg Rentals.. Etc.. this isn't rocket science gang! :-)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

Neelix
03-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I agree with Brooster here, this is big news in Segway Land! More people read the main forum than this one, and it will prevent things like a "This is where the Segway Fest Thread is located" thread.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

ftropea
03-06-2004, 12:46 AM
Hey guys,

I don't want to throw this great news OT, but there are reasons why we have forum categories. For example, there are other companies doing great things in the world of Seg like:

Wayne's Seg-On (providing awesome Seg-stuff)
Fun-Transport
Relay
Innoventions (SegFest)

And there are lesser known, and maybe not-so-great, little companies who want to sell 'ya stuff wherever they can find you. So rather than pick and choose - or play favorites - we've created a Buy/Sell forum (to buy/sell Seg stuff), this convention/event forum (for cons like SegFest, events like group glides, etc.) - a Seg Rental forum for, yeah, Seg rentals!

So bottom line - there is no reason why folks shouldn't check out any of these other forums if they're looking for this kind of information. There is nothing on SegChat that forces you into one forum or another (other than habit or preference!). In fact, we link to every available forum on the right hand side of each page.

So the folks that pop in here are looking for this sort of info.

General Chat is exactly that - general stuff that doesn't fit any of these other categories.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

gvcooljr
03-06-2004, 04:53 AM
Count me in, I'm already making plans. I'm going to load Seggie in Outback and Florida here we come.

GVC

IndyFIRSTengineer
03-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Frank,

Certainly you must understand the tremendous excitement this is generatng thruought our community. In fact I am sure you are as pumped as the rest of us.

However, I do understand your points. They are valid. Guess we'll all just have to change our habbtis ... (or bookmark THIS specific topic or forum!).

One more thing ... Is there any way there can be an email blast from SegChat when the event site is up??

JIM AND CHANDRA - WOOOHOOO!!

I also must say it's FANTASITC that you have found/chosen a place that sounds like the rest of my family will thoroughly enjoy, even though they have no interest in the Segway. I'll just have to make sure they pay attention to the "Segway Crossing" signs. I CAN'T WAIT FOR OCTOBER (Wow, I never wished my summer away before ...).

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

fathertime
03-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Yes, the venue is VERY family friendly this year and for those of you who want to bring family members that are not necessarily interested in the HT (hard to imagine)there will be plenty to do and see. Many of our members are planning on either arriving early or staying after the Fest to take full advantage of all the area has to offer.
We are very excited by the initial response and are working hard to make this a real fun Fest![^]:D[8)][:O]:)

JR

Matt
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Mike McWilliams (StlSegway) and I are working fast and furious on the web site. We hope to have it up by early next week. One really cool feature that Mike has been able to integrate this year is the ability to pay for the registrations online through a secure credit card processing system.

Stay tuned for more!

Lohja
03-06-2004, 06:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Mike McWilliams (StlSegway) and I are working fast and furious on the web site. We hope to have it up by early next week. One really cool feature that Mike has been able to integrate this year is the ability to pay for the registrations online through a secure credit card processing system.

Stay tuned for more!

Please make certain you identify the day and hour the Fest starts and ends. For example, do we arrive on the 7th or 8th and do we plan to leave on the 10th or the 11th. I'm sure you would have already thought of that; but, just in case...... I believe this will be a great get-together. However, those from New Hampshire may miss the peak of the changing of the leaves. On the other hand, you will be able to get two aerial views (one leaving and one on return).

pam
03-06-2004, 08:54 PM
This is super, guys, I'm so stoked, I can hardly wait for October to get here. Every time I do a training, I mention Segway Chat and also SegFest. <G>
Pam

Matt
03-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I know this is off topic for an event, but - Pam, who are you training? Are they new buyers? I would love to have the SegwayFest word spread to the newer generation as well as us old stalwarts. We are working with Segway on a couple of ways to contact folks.

Matt

Florida Ever-Glides
03-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Any thoughts on planning a informal golf tournament the day before. My wife and I are hackers, but it would be a fun get-together. It could even be a fund raiser...

Tom Jacobson

pam
03-07-2004, 09:50 AM

I know this is off topic for an event, but - Pam, who are you training? Are they new buyers? I would love to have the SegwayFest word spread to the newer generation as well as us old stalwarts. We are working with Segway on a couple of ways to contact folks.

Matt

Matt, either a demo or an official training (now that I've passed the coache's training). I did an official training yesterday, along with a series of demos - the people involved are contemplating purchasing a Segway, just wanted to be sure they could get it up a hill on their (gorgeous) property. I'll probably do a series of demos today because I'm thinking of taking a break from taxes and going over to brookstone with my 'I' -
Pam

I Glide
03-07-2004, 10:57 AM
We had a wonderful time last year, definitely count us in. I anxiously await further announcements of topics and events.

Thanks in advance to all who are making this possible as I have some idea of how much work this is.

Yeah!! SegwayFest! 2004

Steve

ElectraGlide
03-07-2004, 11:31 AM
SEGTOBERFEST ......I just checked out the Hyatt website for a virtual tour of the property. Hyatt is always top notch, and this resort property should be no less than great ! ( I'm just sad it's not on my side of the state, ( more night life ) but I will gladly represent the South East Florida contingent over there on the west side. he he
Everyone remember this .....although it will be held in Segtober, the temps in FL will be warm - hot...leave those jackets at home and pack only a light sweater for the AC, and dont forget those swimsuits, shorts, sunblock,and Margarita mix!! Open bar at my room on the 9th and 10th and everyone here is invited . BYOS (Bring Your Own Seg) .

Steve

offngo
03-07-2004, 02:55 PM
count me in

ElectraGlide
03-07-2004, 08:11 PM
I was just looking at the vote count...the total came up to 101% ???? Whats going on , this is electronic, and there's no chads! How do we get more than 100% LOL

Steve

Lohja
03-07-2004, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by ElectraGlide

I was just looking at the vote count...the total came up to 101% ???? Whats going on , this is electronic, and there's no chads! How do we get more than 100% LOL
Steve

To get more than 100% you have to live in Florida.

IndyFIRSTengineer
03-07-2004, 11:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by fathertime

...The location of SegwayFest! 2004 will be at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa in Beautiful Bonita Springs, Florida ...Hey Clock-Dad ...
No question this is a top notch place in absolutely beautiful surroundings. I KNOW it will be a fantastic event. But I just checked out their website, and regular room rates ... I sure hope you did some slick negotiating. I guess we all know that type of place comes at a price. I am just afraid that the expense will be prohibitive for way too many of our brothers and sisters (including myself). I sinerely hope that's not the case because I know how much I enjoyed only the single day that I attended last year, and I think everyone should be able to enjoy that experience - especially as this year appears to be shaping up better than most of us could imagine.

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”

Matt
03-08-2004, 01:05 AM
We are doing a little more wrangling on the price. A lot of it depends on the volume associated with the conference. I expect the final price will be just a little more than last year, but certainly much lower than their advertised day rate (unless you want to upgrade to the penthouse).

Florida Ever-Glides
03-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Because October is the slowest month of the year for tourists, I'm sure Matt is getting the lowest possible price for rooms. It will obviously be higher than a Motel 6 because of the GREAT amenities that come along.

Matt- Are you also working out a deal for Segway and other companies who will need to have a suite in order to host 'private/public' functions? I may need to upgrade to one. Please let us know. Thank you for the 'more than full time' effort. The end-result will be well worth it in the end. How about golf rates?

Tom Jacobson

Matt
03-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Suites will be available, but unless you are interested in some cool palatial digs, there may be better ways to undertake specific objectives (nothing wrong with palatial digs though).

We are detailing a number of sponsorship programs that would allow businesses with an interest in reaching our audience with those opportunities. When the site debuts, that information will be forthcoming.

If there is other info that is desired or other opportunities that are of interest, please let me know and we can work them out with the venue, et al. This conference is for the community. Jim and I are just the facilitiators. As we attempt to bring the most joy and excitment to the most people, please do not hesitate to contact us on or off line for any special requests. We started planning way early this year so that we can meet all expectations.

On the golf - we will have good rates there too - I am also working with the course to allow us to use segways on the course. I have a lot of work to do there, but they are open....

Sal
03-09-2004, 12:00 PM
I called the hotel last week and their rates, without the discount, which the person I spoke with didn't know about... were over $289 a night! *phew* Too rich for my blood! As others have stated, I hope the convention discount is not modest! LOL

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

wayne
03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
I think that price will help make up your mind real quick if you go or not.
If that is the price, it made up mine.

Wayne

ElectraGlide
03-10-2004, 11:58 PM
To help defray the high cost of those rooms I'm willing to take in all single, good looking, ferrari driving, thonged, segway owning, beer or wine thirsty, blonde, brunette or red haired, attractive females that need a place to stay when they are not hangin around the pool. Just trying to do my part to help those less fortunate.........

Steve

Florida Ever-Glides
03-11-2004, 09:20 AM
It seems that some of the initial excitement is fading while we sit wondering how much the SegFest 2004 is going to set some of us back. Or even if we can afford it at all.

The quicker you can pull all of this info together and present it to all of us, the better positioned you will be to pull off 'one heck' of a SegFest.

I'm still hoping that everytime I link to the new SegFest site that the LLC link will be gone (no offense to LLC). I, like many others, need to start making plans ASAP to be able to participate.

Thanks for all of your hard work Matt and Jim...

Tom Jacobson

beckpm
03-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I think the suspense has been great - look at all the anticipation that has built up, I bet many people (I include myself here) have been checking back often during the working day to see if "the link" is posted yet. I am confident they will post it as soon as they can.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

Jackier
03-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Did I miss something???? Last post March 11th & today is March 20th. Did the SEGFEST link get posted & everyone left??

I've been off SC for a few months & just checked in today to see if there was any info for a 2004 segfest!!! I'm real excited to see there is! Yahoo!!!! Maybe I need to go look for a newer segfest link!

EGADS, I LOVE MY SEGWAY!!!!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay
*Promoting friendly segway attitudes in Hawaii*
"The people are always more important then the task at hand"

fathertime
03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Dear Jackier,
In a few days the link to the new SegwayFest!2004 site will be operational and we will point everyone there for new information and pre-registration. The final touches are being put on the site and we will post here when it is good to go! Hang-in there! We love our HT's too![^]:D[:O][8)]:);)[:P]

JR

Matt
03-20-2004, 10:51 AM
It is my fault, alas. The SegwayFest web site has gotten hung up due to our eCommerce back end. I made the command decision that we would do reservations and payments over the web so that we could simplify everything for the community. Turns out to be not necessarily the most expeditious decision.

We are working with a national bank (in Nebraska of all places), but they won't give me the pass word to the account until they train me. The earliest I can get trained is Wednesday. And no, it is not Decision1.

So, here is the revised schedule:
We train on Wednesday.
We set up the site and test it overnight Wednesday.
We sleep on thursday, while the DNS propagates around the world.
You, my friends, all get to point visit the site (www.segwayfest.com) on Friday!

One good thing that will come of this is that the contest rules will be back from Legal by then and everything will be posted together.

Oh, did I forget to tell you about the contest. I'm sorry. Soon enough, soon enough.

L.I. Glider
03-27-2004, 12:25 PM
Any update???

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

Jackier
03-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Yahoo! its up!!!

www.segwayfest.com

just found it myself!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay

Lohja
03-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Just looked at the Web Page. Very nice. I assume the savings for early registration apply only to the registration fee and not the room fees? What is included in the registration fee?

Matt
03-28-2004, 07:58 PM
The early bird discounts cover non-resort related items (i.e. not the rooms - we negotiated the room rate for the conference and they are good all the way until the conference, if there are still rooms available then). The registration fee covers the costs for space at the resort, the service charges associated with the production, time and effort for staff to create and present the shows, offsets for the dinner (believe it or not, the dinner, which really will be a gala affair, is going to come out to be about $100/person - we are offseting some of that). About the only thing it does not cover is salary for Jim and myself for the production development. We have donated our time for this.

Matt
03-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, the registration fee also covers the insurance binders that we need to provide for the Resort and Conference space.

wayne
03-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Matt, we realize the you and Jim are making money off this (thats what it's all about) but $100.00 for the meal. If it compares to the meal in Chicago everyone is getting ripped. For what we had in Chicago I would have rather had a Big Mack for a couple of bucks.

How about some details on what is being served.

Also can someone register and not have the meal. Can someone only register for one day (say Saturday)?

Wayne

beckpm
03-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I must be missing something? I was able to register and set a password, but I can't find out how to give my credit card number and sign up. I have already made a reservation at the negotiated rates directly with the hotel, but how (what link) do I use to register for the conference and get the early bird discount?

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

Stewbonz
03-28-2004, 10:02 PM
"Matt, we realize the you and Jim are making money off this"
"everyone is getting ripped."
"I would have rather had a Big Mack for a couple of bucks"
"can someone register and not have the meal."
"Can someone only register for one day"

Wayne, perhaps you can orgnize the next Fest.?

Jim and Matt are dedicated to putting on a first class event.
The quality of the experience will remain long after the expense is forgotten.
It must be dissapointing to put out such an effort and hear a bunch of petty whining.
Give em a break!

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

fathertime
03-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Peter,
The store side of the site, where one can register, is not yet operational but will be as soon as the bank gives us the final approval which should be very soon. It should have been this weekend but there apparently was a small glitch that should be ironed out tomorrow.:D[^][8)];):)[:P]

JR

RAG1247
03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stewbonz

"Matt, we realize the you and Jim are making money off this"
"everyone is getting ripped."
"I would have rather had a Big Mack for a couple of bucks"
"can someone register and not have the meal."
"Can someone only register for one day"

Wayne, perhaps you can orgnize the next Fest.?

Jim and Matt are dedicated to putting on a first class event.
The quality of the experience will remain long after the expense is forgotten.
It must be dissapointing to put out such an effort and hear a bunch of petty whining.
Give em a break!

JEFF JARVIS

Jeff

you've got to admit the statement that the "buffet" will cost the organizers $100 seems quite high, figuring that some of the best restaurants in the world don't cost that much - Wayne's right that the dinner in Chicago wasn't that great.

I'm sure that Jim and Matt are putting a lot of effort into the planning and organizing and we are grateful for that, but having said that it would appear that this is a for profit venture. I don't care about the costs and probably will attend, but I think that there will be less of a turnout this year based on the costs.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

Stewbonz
03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I had heard that 1 gallon of hot water cost the organizers over $50 in Chicago. $100 bucks for a dinner sounds reasonable.
If Jim and Co. make a few bucks that's good since they work very hard and deserve to be rewarded. I think he lost quite a few dollars last
Maybe the next event could be here in Bangkok? The Thai restaurant across the street from my office serves delicious food for 20 Baht.(40 cents)

JEFF JARVIS

beckpm
03-28-2004, 11:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by fathertime

Peter,
The store side of the site, where one can register, is not yet operational but will be as soon as the bank gives us the final approval which should be very soon. It should have been this weekend but there apparently was a small glitch that should be ironed out tomorrow.:D[^][8)];):)[:P]

JR

That explains it - will keep an eye out this week. Thanks
p.s. I thought the party last time was fantastic, the food was ok and the entertainment and speaches were spectacular!

fathertime
03-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Guys,
Matt is not kidding. The dinner is 100 bucks a plate but we cannot change the hotel prices. What we can do is subsidize it with the registration fees to bring it down to $60.00 per plate which is what we are doing. The same thing applied last year. The banquet costs were much higher than what we charged the attendees, so much so that we actually lost money as more people signed up for the banquet. I'm not kidding one bit when I tell you that hot water was $55.00 per gallon last year. Do you remember all of those breakfast goodies that we had out for you last year..that small spread was $2500.00. The cocktail party goodies were $3000.00 The welcome pizza party was over $1500.00. The bus was $1550.00, the materials to set up the room and demo areas was several thousand. The insurance was enought to buy a car.. and on and on. Pretty soon you are talking about real dough!
Matt, Ladytime, and myself have been working on this event every spare moment we have had in the last two months and we want to make this an event to remember...but we need your support. It's hard for us to feel good about putting our necks on the chopping block with all of the negative comments, but we are going to make this a spectacular show for everyone regardless.
I can tell you however that the food will be much better this year. Matt and I have sampled the food on site and it is far superior to what we had last year.
If there is anyone out there that thinks this is a money making effort I can reassure you that this is a labor of love, not money. The hotels have structured the business so that there is nothing left once you pay their fees. We are producing this by sticking our own necks out financially and it is all for the benefit of our SC community.
This could not happen without all of the volunteers, LLC's gracious involvement, and lots of personal sacrifice. We hope we have your understanding that everything we are doing for the convention is with you in mind, and we have negotiated hard for the best possible price in this wonderful venue. We ask for your help and hope you will support our efforts! [^]:D[8)];):)[:P]

JR

RAG1247
03-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Jim:

First of all, your efforts at last year’s Segfest were greatly appreciated. Likewise this year. However, as I stated last year relative to the supposed cost of the dinner being more than you charged, I find it hard to understand. Nobody in any form of business can charge less than it costs for something that they purchase.

Maybe the focus should be on the Segway and meeting with others to discuss their experiences and learn more and not on the venue. The Segway (and the people we meet and their experiences) are the common bond, not the lush landscaping, or the food, or IMO the dancing competition.

As for LLC’s “gracious involvement”, it is in their best interests to be involved and is a relatively cheap form of advertising for them (notwithstanding that they are IMO preaching to the choir).

As I have stated in other posts, I could care less about the costs and probably would attend regardless because of my interest in the Segway and certainly not because I have any interest in seeing beautiful Bonita Springs, since it has nothing over Fort Lauderdale.

Again, thank you for your efforts and good luck, but I think you may experience a reduction in attendance this year based on the economy and the costs involved – I hope I am wrong.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

defenbaugh
03-29-2004, 09:08 AM
We missed last year for a prior commitment. This year I am scheduling around Segfest. We live in a rural area and seldom get to glide in the plushness of a Hyatt Regency. We are looking forward to the moonlit glides with the light shimmering off bay waters. The keynote speakers at keynote banquets are normally worth the price of the dinner. I have yet to not enjoy a keynote banquet (unless they require formal wear-that won't happen, right?). Besides I don't like Burger King at any price.[;&gt;]

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

Edit-changed lushness to plushness. Both adjectives will be present if I am familiar with conventions.

Matt
03-29-2004, 09:21 AM
"Snappy casual" - hawaiian shirts optional.

ElectraGlide
03-29-2004, 10:24 AM

"Snappy casual" - hawaiian shirts optional.

Absolutely.....remember , this is South Florida, so leave those business suits, ties, and dress shoes at home. It's top siders, shorts, and polo shirts for SegFest ( will someone get Dean some cut-off denim shorts ). I'm looking forward to this event.....it's always nice to have a reason to get away from the neighborhood, and what better than a weekend at the Hyatt! Quality has it's price....just look at your Segway !! ( But I'm glad that $50.00 a gal for hot water excludes the showers in the rooms )
As for the grumbling about making money off this deal, I'm sure Jim would be glad to split any profits with you.....but....I think you should also split any losses with him should it happen again.....so, who's first to sign up for the profit sharing program ???
What? ....no one ??
Thanks Jim, Chandra and Matt for the hard work it takes to put an event like this together on YOUR spare time for all of us to enjoy.

Steve

wayne
03-29-2004, 11:25 AM
"It must be dissapointing to put out such an effort and hear a bunch of petty whining.
Give em a break!

JEFF JARVIS"

Jeff, for FYI I'm not whining. I just stating a fact (my opinion) about the food in Chicago. On the cost of the food this year seems overkill to me.

And about organizing the next Fest, I pass. I've been there and done that, Jim, Chandra and Matt are doing a good job.

When someone gives their opinion (where I come from) it's not whining. There are others that may feel the same but don't want to "rock the boat".

I'm sure there are a lot of Seg owners that would love to attend this years Fest but for a total cost of $1200. to over $2000. plus that may cause them to not come.
If asking these question offends someone I'm sorry.

Do I think the prices are high, yes. Could I do better, I doubt it. But I think it will be to the interest of everyone for questions to be asked. That way all sides can be looked at for making the Fest a bigger (more people to attend) and better event in the years to come.

And yes $100.00 for the meal is too high.

Now you can jump on me.

Wayne

Stan671
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I, for one, am not complaining about the prices at last year's SegwayFest or this year's gathering. Of course, I wish they were less. But I know that Jim and the others working on the arrangements are breaking thier backs to make it a good time for all and bring it in at the lowest price possible. Period.

I save up my money all year to be able to afford to attend Segway Fest. It is important to me to attend and so I can justify the expense. For others, the cost may not be justified. Everyone has different priorities and different economic situations.

Stan Dobrowski

Jackier
03-30-2004, 12:48 AM
Some helpful suggestions & info for Segfest travelers:

*For those traveling alone (like me). There is an option of splitting a double room with a room mate & sharing the costs.

I have booked a non-smoking room with two double beds. I would be happy to share room & costs with another female. I arrive on Oct 7th & leave Oct 11th.

With all the great activities planned, I don't plan on spending much time in the room, just to shower & sleep!

*Another way for some to lower their hotel costs:

Seniors (over 62) discount rate - $157.50 per night

http://coconutpoint.hyatt.com/reservations/flow4/soSelectedHotelRates.jhtml?
category=null&xactionid=fb98fcc9bb&_requestid=16567

*Anyone with an AMEX Business card can get triple miles for their airline travel if booked on-line before March 31. Better hurry for this deal!

*If you go to the Hyatt website and sign up for their Gold Membership rewards (free), there are additional perks, including choice of 500 additional travel miles or Hyatt perks. They will also give you a daily morning paper & coffee or tea +++.

My heartfelt thanks to Jim, Chandra and Matt & any others who are giving their time & efforts to bring this all together for all of us! You are appreciated!!! Let me know how I can help as a volunteer when its time!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay

Lohja
03-30-2004, 10:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jackier

Some helpful suggestions & info for Segfest travelers:

Seniors (over 62) discount rate - $157.50 per night

Jackie Seg-awaaaay

If this is true, thanks for bringing it up. I qualify.

Itsi Atkins
04-01-2004, 05:56 PM
I support the Festival and look forward to this years event. It is professional in all aspects and a real credit to the image of Segway. I will announce that we might have the need for what I call a segway jamboree. A national meeting which could cost just the price of a flight to NYC. When and if we are facing a vote on the legal use of Segways in NYC we will need as many Segways as possible to glide the around City Hall. I do not think this will happen soon but when the call is made I would expect that humdreds of Segway will show up, When the time comes, please respond. We will find housing, maybe share with NY owners or YMCA's or donated space or tents. This would be a political event, but also a chance to meet others and do something important for Segway. NYC belongs to everyone!

IndyFIRSTengineer
04-01-2004, 06:44 PM
I LOVE New York City ... and would love to be there to add my support. I have visited several times and it is like nowhere else in the world. I'll be watching for the announcement ...

[:I] ... oops ... this should probably be under another topic ... [:I]

defenbaugh
04-01-2004, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Itsi Atkins

...NYC belongs to everyone!...

You're right, Itsi. Was apprehensive the first time there. Loved it. Been back twice. Great, friendly city during Rudy's term. Assume Bloomberg keeps up the good work. Will be there if I can.

Ron

terryp
04-15-2004, 10:18 AM
I can't find any rental information on the convention site yet. We'd like to register before May 1 to save 33%, but we're putting it off until we find out what it will cost to rent two HTs for three days. Have any rental outfits signed on yet?

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle

Matt
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I have sent notes to all of the rental and current Segway dealers (more are signing up every day!). Unfortunately, I do not have any confirmed rental organizations yet. We are still working on the issue.

Jackier
04-16-2004, 03:27 AM
Aloha Matt,
I faxed in my Segfest registration a couple of weeks ago. I haven't received any receipt of that fax or notice saying that I've been registered. Will some kind of confirmation be coming my way?

I will also be wanting to rent a segway!
Mahalo!

Jackie Seg-awaaaay
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING: WOW.... WHAT A RIDE (or glide)!!!"

fathertime
04-16-2004, 10:08 PM
For all those going to SegwayFest! 2004
You will receive an email confirmation usually within a week after you register unless we are unusually busy (as we have been lately .....in which case it could be a little longer. Matt, Ladytime, and I will be down in Bonita Springs this week checking out the gliding paths and making some more arrangements for your delight and pleasure come October.
Remember to register early to get the discount and reserve your hotel rooms as soon as you can since there are only 450 guest rooms available. There is a lot of excitement about the Fest this year and it is shaping up to be a spectacular event that you will not want to miss.[^]:D[:O]:)[:P]

JR

fathertime
08-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Carla Vallone today announced LLC's contribution to SegwayFest! 2004 and let me tell you it is going to be fun and informative.Segway Workshops at SegwayFest! 2004

SEGWAY HOSTED WORKSHOPS

Segway Software
Facilitators: John Morrell, PhD, Director, Systems Engineering and Gerry Rigdon, Software Engineer
Learn the inter-workings of the physics of dynamic stabilization, software architecture, and fault detection and response. Enjoy the highlights of Segway software history.

Coaching Like a Pro – Open Session
Facilitators: Reina Ellis and Gerri Moriarty, Educational Design and Delivery Specialists

This classroom experience will include:
Watching the Product Orientation experience as Segway suggests it be delivered. This is a good refresher for those Coaches who just want to check what their doing, or get some new ideas. This is a great opportunity to view the Product Orientation delivered by the experts who designed the program and have delivered more than 2,000 Product Orientations. Yes, we can say, "we've seen it all" (almost).

The Product Orientation delivery will be followed by a debrief on best practices and a question and answer session. The session will end with the random selection of four customers who will be invited a seat in the intensive Coaches Workshop (for people who are not already signed up, or couldn't get a seat in one of the Coaches Workshops happening after this overview.)

** Attendance to “Coaching Like a Pro” is required for anyone who is signed up to attend the Coaches Workshops during SegwayFest.**

Segway “Jeopardy!”
Facilitator: John Grohol, Segway Web Architect
Guest Hosts: Chris Gorglione, Product Management; Carla Vallone, Communications Manager; Mike Kaufman, Software Engineer; Mike Gansler, Product Development Engineer

Segway Jeopardy! will feature a format similar to the long-running television game show, except that it will feature 4 teams of 2 contestants each (8 people per game). All content of the game will be Segway-related. Either contestant on a team can provide the question for the answer displayed, and points will be awarded or taken away depending upon whether they answer correctly. The team with the most points at the end of each game will win a Segway prize.

Players can sign up with a partner on a first-come, first-served basis at the Segway booth at SegwayFest until all 32 game slots are filled.

Jeopardy! Is a trademark of Sony Pictures Digital Inc.

Care and Feeding of Batteries
Facilitators: Mike Gansler, Product Development Engineer and Doug Field, Chief Engineer
This presentation provides tips for caring for your battery in order to optimize range and the long-term life of the battery pack. Riding suggestions will be offered to maximize your battery range.

Panel Discussion with Segway Product Development
Facilitator: John Grohol, Segway Web Architect
Panel Participants: Doug Field, Chief Engineer; JD Heinzmann, Product Development Engineer; John Morrell, PhD, Director, Systems Engineering; David Robinson, PhD, New Product Team Leader

Members of the Segway Product Development team will answer questions about the product development process, invention and the Segway HT that SegwayFest attendees submit. Please submit questions to the question box at the Segway Booth on Friday and Saturday. Due to time constraints not all questions will be answered. Attendees will be called upon to pose the selected questions.

Real Time Segway HT Assembly
Facilitators: Doug Field, Chief Engineer; Mike Slate, Mechanical Designer
Enjoy learning the unique facts about each part of the Segway HT and watch as it’s assembled real time.

Freedom to Glide
Facilitator: Carla Vallone, Communications Manager
“All politics is local.” When working with regulators you often hear this famous line from the late politician Tip O'Neill quoted, but what does it really mean? In this workshop, we’ll discuss the tips, tricks, do’s and don’ts of working with local regulators, advocates and community groups to achieve access for Segway HTs. We’ll quickly review the regulatory status in the U.S., present successful case studies, and anticipate what’s next. This will be a working session so come prepared to share ideas, samples of pro- Segway letters, and other suggestions. You are the best Segway ambassadors there are and we want to hear from you.

Moving Into the Future
Keynote: Ron Bills, President and Chief Executive Officer, Segway LLC
Celebrate the achievements of 2004 and glimpse the future of Segway LLC as Ron Bills discusses sales, marketing, product development and more.

ONGOING ACTIVITIES

Coach’s Workshops
Facilitators: Reina Ellis and Gerri Moriarty, Educational Design and Delivery Specialists
This hands-on workshop is designed to prepare participants to deliver the Segway HT Product Orientation through a process of:
. Receiving the Product Orientation,
. Observing the Product Orientation,
. Practicing the delivery on other classmates, and
. Executing a customer-ready Product Orientation while being audited by the instructor.

Participants will be asked to exhibit understanding of the following Product Orientation modules through a combination of explaining, demonstrating and coaching: Basic operation of the HT, Skills and Drills, Safety Features, Power Assist and Keys, Slips, Trips and Tips- Anticipating riding situations, Sharing the experience-Supervising a ride. Additionally, participants must be familiar with the Assembly Instructions, Rider’s Guide, Reference Manual and Safety Video that comes with each Segway HT.

Requirements for Attending the Coach’s Workshops are:
• Attend the “Coaching Like a Pro” Open Session scheduled for October 8th from 10:30 – 11:45 to observe the Product Orientation delivered by Segway.
• Have at least 15 hours or 1 week of riding experience under your belt.
• You must bring a Segway HT i or p Series model to the workshop.
• Participants must review the Coach’s Manual and the Quick Reference Guide before attending the workshop. Copies of these materials will be e-mailed to participants when your slot is confirmed.

Workshop Times: Friday: 3 – 4 p.m.; 4 – 5 p.m. Saturday: 9 – 10 a.m.; 10 – 11 a.m.; Sunday: 10 – 11 a.m.; 11 a.m. - Noon (lottery session)

How to Sign Up: E-mail Gerri Moriarty or Reina Ellis at education@segway.com with your contact information and the time of the workshop you’d like to participate in. Please provide a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. Twenty individuals will be able to sign up for the workshops in advance (an additional 4 will be chosen by lottery at the “Coaching Like a Pro” open session on Monday). Sign ups will be accepted on first come first served basis and confirmed via e-mail. This opportunity is only available to individuals who have not participated in Segway Coach’s Training before.

Robot Laser Tag
Facilitators: John Morrell, PhD, Director, Systems Engineering; Mike Gansler, Product Development Engineer; David Robinson, New Product Team Leader; Ray DeBruin, New Product Team Leader; Mike Slate, Mechanical Designer

You’ve seen them at SegwayFest! 2003, in the New York Times and on CNN. Now for the first time ever Segway HT enthusiasts will have the opportunity to touch, feel and operate the Segway RMP by participating in a futuristic game of robot laser tag! Using a joystick that operates the Segway RMP you will navigate a field of obstructions to “tag” your competitor. Each game time will include eight robot duels of two minutes each (16 players total). When you arrive at SegwayFest sign up for a game time at the Segway Booth – space is limited. Also, four volunteers are needed for each game time to help keep the game running, please sign up at Segway Booth if you can help out.

GlideWriting (formerly known at Energy Analysis)
Facilitators: Gerry Rigdon, Software Engineer; Mike Kaufman, Software Engineer; Mike Gansler, Product Development Engineer; David Robinson, New Product Team Leader; JD Heinzmann, Product Development Engineer

Check out the awesome amount of data the Segway relies on to produce a safe and satisfying ride. Record your name in that data by writing it in the path you glide. See how much energy the Segway HT uses during different styles of gliding. Segway engineers have prepared a Segway HT with a laptop connected to a specially instrumented control shaft that will record and display the power, energy, peak acceleration and deceleration rates, regeneration performance, pitch angle and other interesting parameters. You will be able to ride around and see how your gliding style demands power from the batteries and how it affects range. Try writing your name in the path that you glide and see how it appears in the data. You will leave with a printout summarizing the energy performance of your gliding techniques and displaying your GlideWriting ability, predicted range and other scintillating Segway HT data.

In order to participate you will need to sign up at the Segway Booth for a time slot and bring your own machine to the GlideWriting Station. Space is limited.

Folks this is only a part of the fun to be had this year. We are saving the announcement of the agility games and a few other surprises for a little later on when we will whet your appetite for the Fest! [^]:D:);)[:P]

JR